Thule Helium 2 Bike Rack

4.4/5 (5 Reviews)

Thule Helium 2 Bike Bike Carrier is almost half the weight of traditional hitch racks.The Helium carrier brings an all new meaning to the term ?ease of use?. Now you can put your strength and energy into riding instead of installing and removing your rack

Submitted by monkies a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: October 28, 2013

Strengths:    It's light, and easy to take on/off

Weaknesses:    This thing will screw up your bike frame, almost guaranteed.

Bottom Line:
When I originally bought this, I threw my $$$$ Ibis Mojo on it but getting the thick posts just around the Medium frame...it was almost impossible, but it got on there. As I'm driving home, the rear of the bike comes flying off even though all the straps were attached. I pulled over and basically the rack scratched up my frame, and cant hold the bike. So I go to the shop, and they have to sell me the additional bike carrier posts (attaches a bar from the seat to the steer tube). Of course with this gorgeous tool, the bike is on, and both of my frames have paint torn on the top tube because the plastic piece on the rack that prevents sway just rubs rubs rubs on the frame.

For 2 years I've had this rack, and it actually is no better than a trunk rack. Seriously...my $20 Ebay trunk rack NEVER scratched my frame...it just wasn't 'cool'. Modern bike frames have great tight designs, and this rack is built too thick so you can't avoid buying the additional carrier tool. Beware your top tube getting eaten up.

Oh, now all the rubber straps are ripping (rack is never in the elements...taken off every weekend in the garage). I should have just got a tray style rack

Duration Product Used:   2 years

Similar Products Used:   crappy old trunk rack

Bike Setup:   Ibis Mojo, Turner highline

Submitted by jrider a Weekend Warrior from Peoria IL USA

Date Reviewed: August 7, 2011

Strengths:    Lightweight!!! and easy to use. Folds down out of the way to get to the truck.

Weaknesses:    The pin inserted to keep the rack from backing out of the hitch is only held in place by a slot insert. I've had 1 incidence where I drove without the key in place. I though I put it in but could be wrong. It remained secure with the twist fit dial.

Bottom Line:
This is a great bike rack. I use it 2-3 times a week. It is easy to install with the twist lock. The lightweight rack makes it easy to install, but you will pay a premium for it. It is worth it for the amount I use it. I'm still a little uncomfortable with the slot securing the rack to the hitch. A bolt through design would be preferred.

Similar Products Used:   Truck mount racks.

Submitted by johnmDE a Weekend Warrior from Newark, DE USA

Date Reviewed: September 27, 2010

Strengths:    Lightweight aluminum construction, comes with a nice, long strap to thread through the wheels, built-in hitch lock and integrated cable lock. The rack works on both 1 1/4" and 2" hitch receivers.

Weaknesses:    More expensive than other hitch racks, but well worth the extra cost.

Bottom Line:
I liked this bike rack so much that I bought a trailer hitch for my car just so I can use it.

This rack is much lighter than others I have tried, and is very solid in construction. It comes with a cable lock integrated in the rack (to deter someone snatching the bike off of the rack). I like the no-sway mounts.

Very nice bicycle rack. I recommend it to anyone. Hitch racks are the way to go (no risk of scratching the paint on your car).

Favorite Trail:   Fair Hill, MD

Purchased At:   Eastern Mountain Spo

Bike Setup:   Scott Scale 29.

Submitted by bedarda a Weekend Warrior from Canton,CT

Date Reviewed: June 8, 2010

Strengths:    Lightweight, Nice design, clean Look, quality hardware

Weaknesses:    Saddles on the horizontal bar can be very hard to move if the rack is fully loaded.

Bottom Line:
Why lug extra weight? Properly designed Aluminum is the way to go. My rack stays on my truck, so just the fuel savings during the life of the rack will more then offset any increased price

Purchased At:   Humblepower.com

Submitted by rvsrfun a Weekend Warrior from Mesa, AZ

Date Reviewed: October 11, 2009

Strengths:    Very easy to install. I needed a bike rack to carry 2 extremely heavy beach cruisers from Phoenix to La Jolla. The rack did awesome at highway speeds (+75mph).

Bottom Line:
I think the old addage of you get what you pay for rings true. Spend the money and buy the Helium...

Favorite Trail:   Hawes

Bike Setup:   Trek beach cruisers and Trek 4500

Thule Helium Aero 2?

Couldn't really find much on the Helium Aero hitch rack from Thule. Any current users? As much as I want a 1Up, getting fitted for two bikes is breaking the budget just a tad. I'm fine with a hang and swing type set up. The other choice is the Yakima Highlite 2...Read More »