Thule Double Track Bike Rack

3.33/5 (6 Reviews)

Whether you have an ultralight road racer or a balloon-tire cruiser, carry either (or both!) easily and securely with the Thule Doubletrack carrier. This two-bike carrier provides a hitch-mounted platform that you can attach and load in a snap. Locks are included for maximum security while you are under way and at rest stops.

Submitted by hondachevy a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2013

Strengths:    Easy to load bikes, easy to adjust to a wide variety of bikes

Weaknesses:    Wheel holders are a little weak, bike holders are a little difficult.

Bottom Line:
It is what it is, a good rack for the money. Not the slickest on the market for sure but it works well. Fits everything from my a micro bmx to a 29er with big tires. Moves around some but has held the bikes on at high speeds without a problem over rough roads.

Submitted by hankscorpio

Date Reviewed: May 30, 2013

Strengths:    Solid Rack, theft deterrent (note i said deterrent and not prevention), holds one or two bikes securely

Weaknesses:    Heavy, cannot tilt away from car

Bottom Line:
I've had this rack for almost a year and am very happy with it. It was a gift and was purchased on sale so I can't say too much about how I feel for the value. It does come with the anti sway hitch pin and lock as well as two core locks for the rack. I think in the price range its a good deal. The core locks are obviously not going to stop a bike thief but living in a relatively secure area I enjoy having them so that If I run into a store for a minute or something a kid isn't going to pull it off the rack to take on a joy ride. The one downside is that it is a heavy rack. I'm a 30 year old male so I dont have a problem installing it or removing it myself but I doubt my wife would want to do it. Once its on the car its very sturdy. Anti sway threaded hitch pin works as advertised. Never had any concerns about the bikes staying put once they are on there. One thing it is lacking is the ability to tilt away from the car when bikes are loaded to access the trunk. I guess thats something you pay for with more expensive racks.

Overall I enjoy it alot and leave it on my car if I'm riding within 2 or 3 days of my last trip.

If you are only going to carry 2 bikes, want the locks, and dont mind the weight its a great rack. If you need to add more bikes and need a lighter rack go with a 1up.

Duration Product Used:   year

Similar Products Used:   n/a

Bike Setup:   Trek Marlin 29er. Had other mountain bikes on the rack with the marlin as well

Submitted by Alexander Frolov a Weekend Warrior from Kelowna

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2011

Strengths:    Powder coating.

Weaknesses:    Extremely heavy. Very bulky. It takes 2 people to get it on my ML350. Can't remove one bike if the other has been installed. Primitive engineering.

Bottom Line:
DO NOT BUY. NEVER. Look for other options. Noone is perfect but this 990XT Doubltrack is a waste of money.

Favorite Trail:   HWY97

Purchased At:   US

Similar Products Used:   Westfalia Portilo.

Bike Setup:   Willier, Cannondale

Submitted by dekoffer a Weekend Warrior from Buffalo Gap, TX

Date Reviewed: May 26, 2010

Strengths:    Accommodates all wheel sizes, including 29er; easy initial set-up; folds up very easily. Now includes locks.

Weaknesses:    Installing the lock barrels is a pain. The instructions make it look like all you need is a regular flat head screw driver. I needed a precision flathead screwdriver (i.e. the type you use on tiny screws) and it still took me about 30 minutes to pop-out the push tabs so that I could install the lock barrels. The instructions also don't indicate that you'll need a precision screw driver to slide the lock barrels into place. There is also quite a bit of sway, if that is something that makes you paranoid.

Bottom Line:
Set up is easy except for lock installation. Accommodates all wheel sizes. Securely holds bikes. Folds up easily when not in use. There is quite a bit of sway, especially when loaded with two bikes.

Favorite Trail:   Buck Creek

Purchased At:   Rack Attack

Similar Products Used:   Saris Thelma, and some other Saris before that.

Bike Setup:   I use the rack for my 650b mtb, 29er mtb, and road bike.

Submitted by abrunner a Cross Country Rider from Raleigh, NC

Date Reviewed: September 17, 2008

Strengths:    Stand-up bike loading. Fold-up design. Sturdy construction.

Weaknesses:    Only 70 lbs total weight limit.

Bottom Line:
I like it so far. No problems. I was looking for a reasonably priced stand-up rack for my car and didn't want a roof rack. Also I wanted a rack that would fold up on the hitch so I could get it and my car in the garage without having to take it off. This rack works perfectly with little bounce. I was worried about the 70 lb weight limit but prolly won't every load two 35+ lb bikes anyway.

Favorite Trail:   BD

Bike Setup:   Specialized Stumpy Expert FSR

Submitted by abrunner a Cross Country Rider from Raleigh, NC

Date Reviewed: September 17, 2008

Strengths:    Easy to assemble, very sturdy construction, very nice fold-up allows rack to stay on the car when not in use and fit car in garage. Bike stands-up in rack so don't have to take the front wheel off or try to hang it.

Weaknesses:    Max 70 lbs weight limit. Doubt I'll every load two +35 lb bikes but you never know. A bit of a juggle to load 1st bike, have to lean it way forward to get center bar up and locked in place.

Bottom Line:
So far, so good. No problems. I was looking for a rack I could leave on my car, but didn't want to get a roof rack due to gas mileage savings. I like that it folds up so it stays in my car and can fit in the garage easily. Very sturdy with very little bounce. Available locks make it extra secure on long trips.

Favorite Trail:   BD

Bike Setup:   Specialized Stumpy Expert FSR

Tahoe area challenging double track??

A buddy and I are experienced double track trail cyclists in Santa Clara County. We're planning our first MTB trip to Tahoe, including mandatory evening refreshments at 5050 Brewing in Truckee. Steepness is great (we've regularly done 35 milers in Henry Coe), but we're not technical, and I have an a ... Read More »

Skeggs: lower Sierra Morena bobcatted to double track

Why!? And its going to be very soft until it goes through a winter of rain and pack down.Read More »

A little different - Looking for good easy fire road/double track (near-ish Denver)

Hey guys, New to the area from the midwest, I usually am all about the singletrack and downhill but I'm recovering from some injuries right now and need something easy. I just want to put some miles in where I don't have to worry about getting hurt even more, but also want to avoid asphalt. ... Read More »

fast rolling tires for fire roads/double track

What is the best tire (fast rolling) for racing on fire roads/double track courses?? The course is better suited for cross bikes but want to race the mtn bike division. Will be set up tubeless.Read More »

thule double track 990xt good for road/mountain?

Hey, I'm looking for a good rack to carry about $6k worth of bikes, my full carbon road bike, an full carbon ibis mojo. I don't wanna just buy a cheap 150 dollar rack. From what I've seen the thule doubletrack seems pretty good an gets good reviews. It's hard finding one that says it works great ... Read More »