Thule Big Mouth Bike Rack

3.91/5 (11 Reviews)

TheThule 599XTR Big Mouth Upright Bike Carrier isThe upright carrierThat setThe standard for bike carrying flexibility and ease of use. Self-adjusting jaws optimize clamping pressure regardless of downTube size Fits downtubes upTo 3.125" (80mm) diameter Clamp lever is just above load bar for easy reach Dual locking design - locks bikeTo carrier and carrierTo load bar Locks not included MaximumTire Width: 2.3 ins

Submitted by Matt Tamasco a Weekend Warrior from Hackettstown, NJ

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2007

Strengths:    Super fast to mount and dismount bike; survived 30mph impact.

Weaknesses:    no security device - though I use my bike cable through the factory rack which works fine.

Bottom Line:
This rack is bullet proof. I hit an underpass at over 30mph. The way it is designed - the bike slipped out of the padded jaw and only suffered one broken wheel strap (and a bent tray which I mashed back into shape). Only cost $16 to fix the rack afterwards (no damage to bike) - and only 3 days to get the new strap from Thule. The breakout design avoided the bike coming through the rear window of the car or damaging the car's body. It was smartly designed to be strong - but give when all hope is lost. Good move, Thule!

Hint on the "wobble" issue. Mount it so the wind hits the bike square. If on an angle - the wind strength (and frequency) will cause the bike to wobble slightly due to weakness of factory bars and/or weight of bike. Nothing that would cause the bike to fall however.

Favorite Trail:   Chimney Rock

Similar Products Used:   Yakima; various trunk racks; Thule hitch rack

Bike Setup:   Trek X/C Hardtail

Submitted by Cruzader a Cross Country Rider from Jersey City

Date Reviewed: October 10, 2006

Strengths:    Ease of mounting and dismounting.

Weaknesses:    Weak pivot points at base of clamping arms. Easy theft item.

Bottom Line:
This is a decent bike rack for the money, but it does have its faults. The bike will sway back and forth some, but not to worry about that . . until the weak rivets & holes that connect the arms to the base get worn. Then the rack is much looser, although I havent had the bike fall off yet. Thule should really redesign that joint and make it stronger. Even when you buy these brand new, some will have play at that joint, and some won't- so make sure you check it before buying. Otherwise, I would probably recommend the Criterium for a little more money. I also had to make a couple of modifications in order to make the rack secure and thft-proof. At the very least, don't use the thumb screws that came with the kit- even just replacing them with nylock nuts will help . . the longer it takes for a thief to remove it, the less he/she will be apt to commit the crime.

Favorite Trail:   HUnter

Purchased At:   Campmor

Bike Setup:   Trek 4500, Rockly Mountain Element.

Submitted by Andrew P a Cross Country Rider from Rolla, mo, USA

Date Reviewed: March 29, 2006

Strengths:    Study, holds every bike I've ever put up there, easily adjustable, allows you to place the whole bike on the rack no disasselbly required.

Weaknesses:    Locking feature seems kinds weak, I lost a part.. oops

Bottom Line:
This rack does what a rack should... It holds two bikes on top of your automobile with little effort in a quick mannor. I've never had a problem with any part of this rack. One time I forgot to clamp down the downtube clamp when I was going around a sharp corner the bike fell down sideways but remained on the rack as a result of the great rim straps... This was completely my fault I think it speaks to the quality of construction that the bike didn't fall off.

It will hold any bike W/ the exception of a sling shot or something completely missing a down tube... I've put my 26ers up there my 29ers up there everything and it holds them well..

Favorite Trail:   Council Bluffs

Purchased At:   swap meet

Similar Products Used:   Saris Bones... its a rack but not a top mount rack

Bike Setup:   dos Niner w/ SC 32, Fuji Cross, GF Rig

Submitted by Michael a Cross Country Rider from Bloomington, IN USA

Date Reviewed: October 7, 2004

Strengths:    easy to use, stable, holds my road bike and my jekyll

Weaknesses:    factory cam locks-broke one trying to tighten it, then got washers and nuts to hold it to rack. now more secure than before

Bottom Line:
i bought one big mouth carrier for my road bike and one super g for my jekyll. well upon subsequent trips with my jekyll in the super g and my girlfriends hardtail in the big mouth, we both noticed that her bike was more secure and didn't sway. to make long story short, the super g's ratchet mechanism is prone to slippage and i have since returned it to thule along with two others purcahsed by LBS employees who were able to duplicate the slippage after i showed them my super g. so now i have two big mouths, only problem might be for tallet mtb frames(mine is a medium) the clamp arm might not reach the frame. mine barely fits but once on, it doesn't let go. i give it a 5 for value, but only 4 overall b/c it should be able to fit my frame a little better. my road bike and any other of the six bikes i've tried all fit excellent.

Favorite Trail:   nebo ridge

Similar Products Used:   thule super g

Bike Setup:   ?

Submitted by Brian a Cross Country Rider from Ft. Wayne, IN

Date Reviewed: June 21, 2004

Strengths:    Durable, quiet, strong, secure

Weaknesses:    They aren't free!

Bottom Line:
Follow-up review. I've had it for 3 years now and haven't had an ounce of trouble. I leave it on my car year-round, and we have some pretty nasty winters - very cold, lots of salt, and regular freeze/thaw cycles. I made a 15 hour drive last summer up to the Bimidji, MN and never once did the highway winds and semis bother the bike.

The only thing I've ever done is regularly lubricate the locks on the bike rack and roof rack. Otherwise, I've nearly forgotten about the thing. It still looks new and keeps my bike nice and safe while I'm on the way to the trail.

Simply put, it takes me a grand total of 12 seconds to load my bike and lock it in place. It might take me another 12 to unload it when I get to the trailhead. I've seen other guys removing wheels, trying to get the fork positioned properly, etc. It's great to just throw the bike in place, lock the "claw" around the downtube, and simply drive away.

Favorite Trail:   The kind that go through the woods

Bike Setup:   Yes, my bike is setup.

Submitted by Joe Mamma from Boston/Seattle/Salt lake/Breck

Date Reviewed: July 24, 2003

Strengths:    easy to load, don't have to take off front wheel.

Weaknesses:    Very shaky on top of car. When driving behind me while a bike is loaded, it looks like the bike is about to fall off! Cannot accomadate larger tubes, i.e. DH bikes and some free ride bikes.

Bottom Line:
I wouldnt recomend this product because of how much it allows the bike to move back and forth on top of the car. There are upright bike carriers on the market that work much better!

Favorite Trail:   Lynn/porcupine rim/victor falls/Vail

Purchased At:   greggs greenlake cycle (Dont shop here, go to ti cycles instead)

Submitted by Dominic a Weekend Warrior from Alexandria, Virginia

Date Reviewed: March 24, 2003

Strengths:    Good looking, hold bike really good, easy to install, easy to load and unload

Weaknesses:    Easy to steal, wheel strap too short, and flimsy, high wind noise

Bottom Line:
Mine was stolen at the night :( I wish Thule could have invented some kind of locking devices, so I don't have to remove it everytime. Besides that I am fairly happy with it.

Purchased At:   Performance bike

Bike Setup:   NRS and Hardrock

Submitted by Jason a Weekend Warrior from Ottawa, ON, Canada

Date Reviewed: May 28, 2002

Strengths:    Extremely easy and to load/unload. Bikes are held securely. Gets lots of admiring looks.

Weaknesses:    Wheel straps do not appear all that durable. Wind noise is loud over 80km/h. Bike sway slightly at speed. Gets lots of admiring looks.

Bottom Line:
I checked out all the availabe racking systems and it came down to the Big Mouth and the Ankle Biter Duece. I went with the Big Mouth for its ease of use.

I recently took two bikes on a two hour, high speed, twisty and bumpy ride up to Mt Tremblant. The Big Mouth worked perfectly. Hell, I even closed the sun shade for my sunroof on the way back - nothing to worry about...

Submitted by Rick Mescallado a Weekend Warrior from East Northport, NY, USA

Date Reviewed: April 1, 2002

Strengths:    Easy to install. Secures bike relatively well.

Weaknesses:    Easy to steal. Could use some kind of locking device so that it doesn't have to be removed every time. Wheel straps are a little flimsy.

Bottom Line:
Overall, I relatively happy with it. The convenience of the quick load/unload is what prompted me to purchase it.

So far, so good.

Purchased At:   Action Sports Sayville

Bike Setup:   Gary Fisher Hybrid.

Submitted by keefe a Cross Country Rider from dover,nj

Date Reviewed: March 16, 2002

Strengths:    Load bikes in seconds

Weaknesses:    Wind howl, trays not wide enough for 2.6 tires

Bottom Line:
Had to bend/spread tray out to fit DH 2.6 tire. Otherwise, bikes have been fine.

Purchased At:   roof racks direct

Bike Setup:   XC and DH

Submitted by Brian a Weekend Warrior from Indianapolis, IN

Date Reviewed: December 26, 2001

Strengths:    Simple design - makes mounting my bike simple and quick. Even better b/c it converts to handle road bikes as well. Very high quality materials - everything fits together like it should and is a cinch to assemble. Plus, I don't have to screw around with removing a wheel like you do with fork mount carriers.

Weaknesses:    Haven't found any yet - I'm looking though!

Bottom Line:
Just got if for Xmas so haven't used it a whole lot yet (only had it a day). Amazingly simple - holds the bike securely and makes loading and unloading a snap! I'm biased though. I've used Thule racks for my skiing gear for several years and I simply think their stuff is beyond compare!

Purchased At:   Ski Pole

Similar Products Used:   I've only used other Thule carriers for my skiing equipment. This is my first mtb carrier.

Bike Setup:   Trek 8000, Shimano all around

Thule Big Mouth carrier for Tandem?

I have a roof rack with a Thule Big Mouth Carrier, I'm trying to rent a Tandem this weekend to ride with my wife, and I'm wondering if I can use the rack to carry it. I understand it will overhang a little, but I'm trying to see if anyone else has every attempted it. Thanks [IMG]http://ww ... Read More »

Thule Big Mouth

Just bought a new Spesh '09 Enduro Comp....and now realize that my Thule rack system, which i just got only a year ago, is now obsolete since i can't do fork mounted anymore (the Specialized has the through axle wheel system). So i've got to get something new - something upright. I was looking at t ... Read More »

Thule Side Arm or Big Mouth?

Just today one of my Thule fork trays broke. Not sure what exactly is wrong, but now the tray doesn't secure onto the fork very well. Only one side works, the other doesn't. So, now I need a new rack and want to go with an Upright. Any suggestions on which one? I'm using a Thule system. I also ... Read More »

Big tire solutions for Thule Bug Mouth?

I recently picked up some very nice used Thule 599 Big Mouth racks for my car. I have a GF X-Cal as my main ride, and am running into some problems. The front tire is a high volume tire, mounted to 38mm wide Kris Holm rims. I cannot get the front wheel clip to shut without dropping tire press ... Read More »

ATTN: Thule Big-Mouth Rack Users

I have a Thule Big-Mouth Bike Rack for my bike, where the rack mounts onto a Thule rack, underneath the clamp, there is a piece of metal that holds the bike rack to the roof rack. As the piece slides onto the rack, there is an extra slot for another "black square mount" i was wondering if you can ... Read More »