Thule Bed Rider Truck Mount Bike Rack

3.67/5 (9 Reviews)

WithThe 822XTTruck bed rack you can carry 2 bikes without drilling any holes into yourTruck bed. AluminumTelescoping bar with SoftGrip™ rubber feet hold carrier on side rails of full size and small pick-upTrucks without drilling (compatible with most bedliners) 3 One-Key™ lock cylinders includedTo lockThe bikesToThe carrier andThe carrierToTheTruck. Fits full size and small pick-up beds (compatible with most bed liners) Carries 2 bikes. More bikes can be fit withThe Bed-Rider Add On Block (#BR

Submitted by Kedge Cook from Houston, TX USA

Date Reviewed: February 26, 2008

Strengths:    Inexpensive, can be moved between vehicles quickly. Not complicated.

Weaknesses:    Doesn't grip under the bedrail, works much like a shower curtain tension rod. Can come loose if the bed or bedliner flexes.

Bottom Line:
We had several bikes securely mounted in our truck when suddenly the rack released and flew out of the truck with all of our bikes. We found them on the side of the freeway with $4000 in damage (carbon bike DOA), and were grateful that a family wasn't behind us in a minivan. Poor design, as this doesn't provide any type of C-clamp or bracket that goes both over and under the bed rails. Loose tension for any reason (bed flex, tension failure, moisture between rack and rail, etc) and you loose everything on the rack and endanger people behind you.
Best for short, non-highway transport, or with additional tie-downs to keep in place.

Bike Setup:   Various road bikes.

Submitted by Mario Manningham a Weekend Warrior from Lehi, UT

Date Reviewed: July 1, 2007

Strengths:    Wicked easy to install. Good product for pick up truck.

Weaknesses:    None yet

Bottom Line:
I am loving this bike rack. I did read the not so positive reviews so I am still watching my bike in the rear view mirror the whole time. I did secure eah side with a bungee just to keep it in place. I found that it is not so much the bike rack, but actually the plastic bedliner that keeps it from being tighter. I would make sure that it is tight at least once a week to be sure. Other, than that, great product!

Favorite Trail:   Moab, UT

Purchased At:   Agees.com

Bike Setup:   Specialized FSR XC

Submitted by Nathan Fong a Weekend Warrior from San Antonio TEXAS!

Date Reviewed: July 17, 2006

Strengths:    Holds the bike in place.

Weaknesses:    No wheel mounts.

Bottom Line:
I have used this rack for many many years (5+). The issue of the rack falling out is not the fault of Thule. One thing you should aways do is to verify that the rack is still in place and will not move. Over time, your bed of the truck WILL spread apart at the points of contact. During my the past years, I have always verified at least once a month that the mount is still stead fastened to the bed of the truck and YES I had to lengthen the Bike Rack's Rail. This is just basic maintenance, like you would do on your bike or any other mechanical part.

I would give it 5 & 5 rating if only it came with wheel mounts.

Favorite Trail:   Everywhere!

Purchased At:   Performance Bike (NC)

Similar Products Used:   Homemade Thules (roof type) and Yaks (roof type).

Bike Setup:   Litespeed Tsali, XT Groupo.

Submitted by Dave a Cross Country Rider from Denver

Date Reviewed: March 27, 2005

Strengths:    Simple, affordable

Weaknesses:    Security is questionable out of the box - cable fixes the issue.

Bottom Line:
Racks for pick ups are just not easily engineered. Everything I found had a flaw I would jsut as soon not dealt with. And each available product had at least one bad review. I settled on the Bed Rider because it weaknesses could easily be overcome. 1. I cabled it to the truck, it is secure. 2. After reading the people had it come loose while driving, I put a couple straps around it and through the tie downs loops of the bed - no longer a concern. But really, after I installed it - I tried to pull it free and was unable. I think is is solid. I mounted it in the front of the bed - I would not mount it near the tailgate, i think the bed would be more likely to stretch under pressure.

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Tried homemade for the truck. Yakima on old vehicle

Bike Setup:   FS Homegrown, cant let it go.

Submitted by michael allen a Racer from glenolden pennsylvania

Date Reviewed: December 16, 2004

Strengths:    none

Weaknesses:    all

Bottom Line:
This rack was installed by myself. I've been installing racks for thule for 6 years , this rack killed me . I lost over $6000 dollars in bikes, both my road bike and mountain bike and have got nothing but but aggrivation from the people at thule. Don't buy a rack from a company that doesnt want to help the people that rely on it. If it were up to me I myself would never carry another Thule product in my store. BUYER'S BEWARE THIS RACK ALMOST KILLED THE LADY BEHIND ME. Thank's Thule for the $1,200 dollar fine

Bike Setup:   surly karate monkey singlespeed ritchey tires king headset king hubs hayes disc cfi carbon bars fsa team carbon cranks rigid fork wtb saddle thompson seat post delgado rims eno freewheel

Submitted by GLENN SMILEY a Weekend Warrior from PHOENIX, AZ, USA

Date Reviewed: May 27, 2003

Strengths:    VERSATILE---EASE OF OPERATION---DESIGNED NOT TO HARM THE BED OF YOUR TRUCK.

Weaknesses:    NOT AS SECURE AS ONE WOULD HAVE YOU THINK ONCE LOCKED IN THE BED---BE SURE TO LOCK IT TO YOUR TRUCK WITH A HEAVY DUTY LOCK AND CABLE AND YOU WILL BE FINE

Bottom Line:
THIS IS A GOOD PRODUCT AND VERY EASY TU USE AS WELL AS BEING VERY VERSATILE AND EASY ON THE TRUCK BED !!!

JUST MAKE SURE YOU LOCK IT TO THE BED OF YOUR TRUCK AND DON'T RELY ON THE CAM LOCK THAT IS BUILT INTO THE UNIT. THE CAM LOCK IS GOOD, BUT NOT SUFFICIENT TO STOP THE WOULD BE BIKE THIEF. I HAVE MINE CABLED TO THE BED AND HAVE HAD NO PROBLEMS WITH THEFT (KNOCK ON WOOD)

I WOULD SAY BUY IT FOR SURE AS I WOULD DO IT ALL OVER AGAIN MYSELF. THULE HAS AN IRON CLAD WARRANTY PROGRAM AS WELL---THEY REALLY STAND BEHIND THEIR PRODUCT AS I HAVE BEEN TOLD BY MY LOCAL BIKE SHOP AS WELL AS FRIENDS WHO OWN THULE PRODUCTS.

GET ONE---LOCK IT UP GOOD AND YOU WON'T BE SORRY !!!!!!!!!!!

Favorite Trail:   WHATEVER ONE I AM RIDING

Purchased At:   SOUTHWEST BICYCLE

Similar Products Used:   NONE

Bike Setup:   JEKYLL, SUGAR, TASSAJARA---AL SEMI STOCK WITH A FEW UPGRADES ON EACH

Submitted by josh restori a Cross Country Rider from las vegas nv usa

Date Reviewed: February 18, 2003

Strengths:    I really enjoyed the versatiltiy of the rack and the ease of setting it up. I found it to be very stable in the bed of my truck.

Weaknesses:    It was stolen within one week of purchasing the rack. i was parked at the trailhead and while I was on my ride someone had the nerve of pulling the rack out of my bed. I assumed that the product would be secure due to its cantilever design, but boy was I wrong.

Bottom Line:
Do not purchase this rack unless you plan on locking it and your bike to your bed. Otherwise you can take it off after every use. I really do like the rack and I would and probably will purchase another one, but just remove it after every use.

Submitted by Dan a Cross Country Rider from nj

Date Reviewed: April 21, 2002

Strengths:    Worked great for the first 6months was easy to install.

Weaknesses:    Coming home from my favorite trail when my new bike and rack fell off my truck!! Needless to say I was very pissed DON'T BUY IT!!!

Bottom Line:
Rack sux keep shopping!!!

Purchased At:   local bike shop

Submitted by Erik a Cross Country Rider from San Diego

Date Reviewed: July 24, 2001

Strengths:    Simple, strong design. No drilling, but difficult to steal out of the truck bed.

Bottom Line:
Ten years in the back of my truck, and this rack is still doing great. We've added a mount to carry three bikes, a leach to secure the dog and used it to brace a refrigerator we moved across town.

The original skewers (different than sold now) are getting kinda thrashed, so I may swap in some XT leftovers we've got laying around. The allen-bolt clamp system is very secure and hard to tamper with, yet very easy to install.

I've compared the Thule, over the years, to the other various mfgrs offerings for bed racks that have been in buddies trucks or just in the parking lot near me, and it is surely the best of them.

Favorite Trail:   John Bull