Sportworks Transport Bike Rack

4.83/5 (72 Reviews)

The TransSport 2-Bike attaches to either your 2" or 1 1/4" trailer hitch. If you are using a 2" hitch, the TransSport 2-Bike can be expanded to hold four bikes with the addition of the TransSport Add-on.

Submitted by Rex Skidmore a Weekend Warrior from San Jose, CA

Date Reviewed: February 10, 2006

Strengths:    Ease of use. Solid construction. Range of motion.

Weaknesses:    None found. It is what it is.

Bottom Line:
Worth it. Totally worth it.

See if there are any available on the secondary market (used) to save some $$$.

Also, the locking bolt and cable is a MUST HAVE.

Favorite Trail:   Demo, Wilder, Jones, Tam

Purchased At:   Reed's

Similar Products Used:   None on hitch mount. Roof racks only, before this.

Bike Setup:   Tazmon, Superlight, Blur.

Submitted by Jerry a Cross Country Rider from Springfield, MO USA

Date Reviewed: February 7, 2006

Strengths:    Durability, Ease of loading and unloading!!

Weaknesses:    NONE What so Ever

Bottom Line:
I bought this rack based solely on the reviews I read on this website. This rack is awesome and should be the last rack I ever own. It takes 5 seconds to either load or unload a bike. I have the 2" rack, and it has stayed attached to my Toyota Landcruiser for the 15 months I have owned it. I have also since purchased the 3rd and 4th bike attachments. Hauling 4 bikes with this rack is a breeze. You can't go wrong with this rack.

Favorite Trail:   Sac River

Purchased At:   rackoutfitters.com

Similar Products Used:   1st Bike Rack

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Blur LT
Marin Wolfridge

Submitted by RDF73Charger a Cross Country Rider from Speedway

Date Reviewed: January 15, 2006

Strengths:    Easy to use.
Folds up or removes easily.

Weaknesses:    Hard to store in garage.

Bottom Line:
Best rack I ever had. I have the 1 1/4" version for two bikes. I use a Hidden-hitch brand on both my Alero and my wifes PT Cruiser. With the cover on you can hardly tell the vehicle has a hitch. I installed the hitch on my Alero myself, but had to have the PT done by a pro. Cost me $60 extra bones. I also had to use the extension to space the rack out or ot would have hit my bumper. I was bummed about the extra expense but with one bike on the outside holder you can walk behind the bike and get into the trunk. Even with two bikes the trunk will open without hitting a bike. And the extension helps space the rack away from the large rear hatch of the PT. But, you still have to swing the rack down to open the hatch. I have the locking bolt mainly to give a place to connect my Kryptonite Hitch Pin Cable lock #360223 to the rack and to deter theft. I just use a big padlock on the other end and lock the cable to itself. I only lock it when I am parked and not within sight of the car. The rack does have a little flex and will bottom out the rack if you go over a speedbump too fast. I just slow down. My last rack was the Rhode trunk rack and it was always trying to come loose or scratch my old Subaru. When I got my brand new Alero I knew I had to do something different. The Alero also has a rear spoiler which ended the truck rack. The trunk rack also would not take two full suspension bike without trying to twist off the car. We ended up with one bike on the rack and one in the car. No problem with my old Subaru but no bike was going inside my Alero. It actually takes less time to slide in the rack and bolt it down than it did to sort out and tighten the straps on the truck rack. It is a bit heavy to move around but I look at it as a pre-ride workout. I have a 3/4 in Gearwrench brand wrench that is dedicated to taking the rack on and off. Still trying to find a good place to store the rack. Right now it sits on the back of my project car that never moves. No problems with the police about the bikes covering the license plate. At the border they just asked me what my plate # was. Taken this rack to many races and rides. Including an 85 mph blast across Michigan and never have had any problems with the rack or the bikes coming loose.

Favorite Trail:   Towne Run

Purchased At:   Indy Cycle Specialists

Similar Products Used:   Schwinn bumper rack. Grabber hitch rack. Rhode gear trunk rack.

Bike Setup:   Schwinn Rocket 88 and Trek 2200

Submitted by jeremy from oklahahoma

Date Reviewed: March 6, 2005

Strengths:    strong and durable, easy loading and unloding, great locking design

Weaknesses:    bounces around a little more then i would like, heavy

Bottom Line:
i have a Jeep Wrangler with a 35x12.50 tire hanging off the rear and with the 2" extension the rack works great and has plenty of clearance for folding up and when it is laid down so that the rear tail gate and tire can clear it. seeing how i have the lefty fork on my cannondale it works great with that too seeing how i dont have to remove the front tire. the only drawback i have seen this far is that it bounces around quite a bit, even after i tightened everything down. besides the minimal unstable factor over bumps its is awesome and undoubtedly the best rack i have ever owned.

Purchased At:   lbs

Bike Setup:   scalpel 3000

Submitted by Nancy a Downhiller from Riverside, CA USA

Date Reviewed: February 19, 2005

Strengths:    Easy to load, durable.

Weaknesses:    The lock ring could be just a little bit larger to accomodate downhill rims.

Bottom Line:
We have been using the Sportworks Transport 2-Bike Rack for 2" Hitch with RQL System & Mad Phat! Tire Hoops for 1 year. We race Downhill and ride most weekends. We love the rack. It is easy to use and quite sturdy. When the bikes are off the rack, the fold up option makes it easy to park the truck. We also use it for trail bikes. All of our bikes fit quite well and we have no problems with sag as we are using the 2" hitch mount. We use it on our Tahoe and our Pick-up truck. We love the rack and will continue to buy the same brand.

Favorite Trail:   Anything that's Downhill

Purchased At:   Jax Yorba Linda

Similar Products Used:   Previous bike rack was a Thule modified for DH bikes.

Bike Setup:   04 Turner DHR and 05 Morewood Izimu

Submitted by bilbo a Weekend Warrior from lasvEgas

Date Reviewed: January 7, 2005

Strengths:    - quick load (* sort of)
- works with my jeep
- no extention req'd
- minimal movement

Weaknesses:    - expensive
- can't use normal locking hitch pin
- immobile hoops
- no locking ring?

Bottom Line:
this product is going to work great for me. i own a jeep wrangler (rubicon with 31" tire), and before ordering i wondered if the rack would interfier with the rear tire/carrier once placed in the upright position. and it doesn't (* with small mod). the rack is heavy, but i'd prefer that over some other unit which bent or broke over time. and because of the locking bolt, it does not move around on the 2" hitch at all. the bikes don't move around much back there either. and it is really fast loading the bikes.

SUGGESTIONS:

- the way the rack attaches to the 2" receiver is one of those things you either love (reduce rattle) or hate. i think it's one of the dumbest ideas of all time, and am considering drilling out the bolt feature on mine. this should be an *option*. not a standard feature. for those of us with locking hitch pins for our 2" receiver's, why would we want to invest $40.00 for yet another additional feature, just to lock the rack to the truck??? hello. anyone with a cresent wrench can just walk up and steal the rack, and all the bikes in less than 2 minutes. plus, it takes like 5 minutes to line up the bolt, and screw it into the hitch. PITA.

- the only way this rack folds up on my jeep (which i am very happy that it does) without using an extension (yes, another $50.00 option), is my moving one of the hoops outboard about 4 inches. this turns out to be as easy as drilling 2 addition holes on one of the hoops. but couldn't this have been ALOT more easy if the hoops were adjustable? by using some simple clamps that were adjustable by hand. that way i can change the positions of 1 or 2 bikes, to avoid interfierence between the handlebars and seats of these two bikes? not hard to implement, i think.

- no locking loops. unless you purchase the optional locking package, there is no way to use one of those long cable type of kryptonite locks, to attach the bikes to the rack. so, in other words, it looks like someone can just walk up and detach my bike from the rack, just by working the cable around the bike rack, until all the bikes and cable come completely off. it would be a good idea (and you can mark my words that i will eventually do this) to weld a couple circular hoops to the rack, so that cables can be AFFIXED to the rack. my solution to this (for now) is to work the kryptonite cable through the spokes on my spare tire on the jeep. that way, at least i know that the bikes aren't leaving the jeep. the rack may be easy pickings, but the bikes aren't going anywhere.

Favorite Trail:   bootleg

Purchased At:   rack outfitters

Bike Setup:   mountain bikes

Submitted by Larry Tesler a Weekend Warrior from Seattle, WA, USA

Date Reviewed: November 26, 2004

Strengths:    - Fast and easy to load and unload bikes.
- Folds up when not in use.
- Folds down for hatch access.
- Variable capacity: 1-2 standard, 3-4 optional.
- Better than roof racks because no reaching up is required. And you won't break your bike frame, as I broke mine, by driving into a garage with a bike on the roof.
- Better than hatch racks because it won't touch your paint job or weatherstripping. And there are no hooks and straps to mount and adjust.
- The rack and bikes can be locked to the hitch with an accessory.

Weaknesses:    - The rear wheel lock ring can stick, especially if you try to operate it with one hand. Grab it on opposite sides, using two hands.
- Requires a hitch. If possible, install a 2" hitch so you can carry more bikes.
- As with all rear-mount racks, you need to allow for extra length when you park the vehicle.
- To mount the rack on the hitch, you'll need a torque wrench, a couple of minutes, and enough strength to lift the rack and insert the tongue in the hitch. After a couple of times, I found it very easy to do. After mounting it the first time, I wrapped the tongue with duck tape just outside the hitch; since then, it's been easy to gauge how far I have to insert the tongue to align holes for the bolt.

Bottom Line:
If you have a hitch, especialy a 2" hitch, and don't need to carry recumbents, this is the best rack on the market, in my opinion. For recumbents, check out theSportworks Mod Series.

Although Sportworks systems cost more than most, the premium pales in comparison to the cost of damage that use of a hatch rack can cause to your vehicle or that use of a roof rack can cause to your bike and rack if you drive into a garage. And if you value your time, you'll appreciate how quickly you can get your bikes on and off the rack.

As with any rear-mount rack, you have to be careful when backing up the vehicle. But it's harder to forget the bikes are back there when you can't help but see them in the rear-view mirror.

Accessories:
- Buy wheel spacers at the same time you buy the rack.
- If you buy the locking anti-wobble bolt, consider substituting an (uncoiled) Kryptonite Hitch Pin Cable for the coiled cable that Sportworks offers.
- I bought the 3d and 4th bike trays, and mounted them toi be sure I knew how, but I haven't used them yet. There is a hinge between the 2d and 3d tray so that the first two fold up and the second two fold down: less height but more depth behind your vehicle.

Purchased At:   RackOutfitters.com

Similar Products Used:   Sportworks Mod Series, Yakima LowRider (roof rack model), and several other roof rack and hatchback racks over the years.

Bike Setup:   Various mountain, touring, and hybrid bikes.

Submitted by joanna massetti a Cross Country Rider from pittsburgh, pa

Date Reviewed: October 12, 2004

Strengths:    Very easy to take bikes on and off rack. Folds up when not is use. Folds down to access tailgate.
Holds bike by tires, instead of frame so it fits my womens bike.

Weaknesses:    A little heavy to take on and off frequently. Lock must be purchased separately.

Bottom Line:
This rack is definitely worth the price. It only takes seconds to put your bike on and off the rack. I can't imagine any product could be easier. I leave the rack on my truck all summer and fold it up when not carrying a bike.

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Juliana Superlight

Submitted by Gary a Downhiller from Phoenix, AZ. USA

Date Reviewed: August 30, 2004

Strengths:    Easy to attach. Easy to load bikes. Folds up & out of the way after unloading. Works with all types of bikes from XC to DH.

Weaknesses:    Wheel holders are a little tight with anything over 2.5 tires. No big deal though, we just bleed a little air out when loading.

Bottom Line:
I purchased this rack because several friends had them and were very pleased with it's performance. It's insane how fast you can load bikes with this thing. I have the 2 extensions for mine and after 2 years of hauling 4, 45 plus pound DH rigs it is beginning to sag a bit. If I had researched a little more, I would have purchased Sportworks heavier duty model. Still worth 5 flamers.

Favorite Trail:   Too many to list

Purchased At:   Slippery Pig Bikes--Phoenix

Similar Products Used:   Standard roof mount "traps".

Submitted by Terry W a Weekend Warrior from Bordentown,N.J,USA

Date Reviewed: June 16, 2004

Strengths:    Ease of use and good design.Had an overpriced Thule that scrathed the fin of my car and caused bikes to scratch each other.What a HUGE relief this rack is compared to that.

Weaknesses:    Not having the ability to remove it after usage.My son plays hockey and it is a bit of a pain to get his hockey equipment out of my Toyota Highlander (Excellent SUV by the way).I know it folds up and down but you need 2 hands for that. Also a little pricey.....

Bottom Line:
I saw my neighbor use his and I said that I gotta have one. Looked on the internet and found that Rack-it.com had the best prices and shipping was only 35.00. Bike dealer wanted 349.00+ taxes!!

Favorite Trail:   Washington Crossing Park

Purchased At:   Rack-it.Com

Similar Products Used:   Nothing out there like it..although my local bike dealer says Thule is coming out with a copycat model in '05 but will be more expensive(Typical Thule)

Submitted by Chuck a Cross Country Rider from Anoka, MN

Date Reviewed: May 21, 2004

Strengths:    EASY TO USE; unique

Weaknesses:    heavy

Bottom Line:
I was just visiting the website and looking up some stuff and decided I'd post an update after owning this bike rack for almost 4yrs. I was the 5th poster below; since then I see alot more people have posted reviews and I've actually seen a few around on the streets too.

It is still the best rack I've seen to date. I cant seem to find it at the local REI anymore but I'm always on the lookout for a better system.

Problems I've encountered thus far are:
WEIGHT - this thing hangs off the back of my truck when fully loaded it drags the back end down somewhat and reduces the clearance of the rear end. I have run aground once with minimal damage (scrape/dent) on the rack and had MANY close calls. BE CAREFUL when you go up/down inclines and such. It is just a rack but its not cheap nor is it easy to get a new one if you break it, at least not here.

Capacity - I wish I would've picked up the add on 2bike attachment because since I've posted there have been many times where I could've used the additional space. I don't think anyone sells the old version of this thing anymore. I guess this is more of a personal issue.

Rust - It is starting to rust in some locations even though I keep it lubed and maintained. It has been rusting for a while at the points I've damaged.

Improvements - I'm not sure how the new racks are but the rear tire ring and the front tire pull over on my rack are begining to stick a little. I've tried applying small amounts of lube on there but it doesn't help. If anyone has a fix let me know. The rack is pretty well faded now and looks old as dirt now but this is all due to the frequent use it goes through.

In response to one of the posters below. To keep it from wobbling you have to tighten down that threaded bolt on the hitch very tight. I have the closed end wrench from craftsman for this bolt in my truck and when I tighten the bolt the whole back end of my truck lifts up; you can get a feel of how hard I'm yanking on this. I've never had it losen up on me. I also apply grease on that bolt everytime I install it so its not rusted on either and I have a pad lock on the end of the bolt.

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   NONE

Bike Setup:   cannondale

Submitted by Manny from Austin

Date Reviewed: March 31, 2004

Strengths:    *Easy to load

Weaknesses:    *Heavy
*Replacement parts and Add-on parts are expensive
*No anchor spots for cables, or U-locks to be run
through, on the rack itself.
*Only one hitch 'locking-pin' hole . Sportworks
sells a key lock version. The one supplied with the rack
is a screw-in type, which needs a small lock to secure
it.
*Handlebars on one end run into the seat/seatpost on the
opposite. It's hard to have 2 bikes sit straight & square
on the rack.

Bottom Line:
An easy to use, good rack. Sportworks can make it better.

Case in point:

1) Shave some weight off of this baby!It's just way too heavy!

2) I can get a cheaper 6" riser & extender bar from U-Haul! Aftermarket parts may not fit as snugly, but they do work.

3) Put the chain/cable hoop back on the rack (as on older models). It secures the security device onto the rack itself, not just around the bike platform rails. A good thief can slide the bike & cable off the hitch, and work on the lock later at home!

4) The older model TranSport offered both(2) options for the hitch locking pin. Now you must but a Sportworks screw-in keylock hitch for this; or use the screw pin supplied, and get a small Master lock to lock it on. I've already got a Kryptonite locking pin for my older Transport...Why should I have to spend another $20+ for a frame specific lock?

5) MOST IMPORTANTLY ~

I can't ever fit both of my bikes onto this rack, because the front wheel trays sit on the same flat plane! Either the outermost bike support, or the innermost to the bumper, needs to have a built-in, adjustable front tire elevator, so's to keep the handlebars on one bike from not ripping into the seat of the bike sitting in opposite tray! My leather saddles rubbed raw & tore, during a long rocky transit. On another road trip, I had to add a thick wad of newspaper underneath one of the front wheels, so this wouldn't happen, again. Unfortunately, the bar-ends rubbed through, and gouged out my carbon seat post on the second bike. Luckily I had a spare post!

ASIDE form the last instance, Spotworks has a winner! If they IMPROVE an already awesome concept, it'd be the absolute best on the market! I don't know why they removed some of the features of the original (pre- 2002) TranSport [Items 1, 3, & 4].
Still, I like it better than any other rack available, but I'm also looking into other "load and forget " racks by Hollywood Racks, and AZTEK (?).

Yes, there are some issues to be resolved, but it's still 4 chilies in overall performance. The cost is very high, so I've got to knock-it down to 4 chilies!

Facillitate the improvments I've listed and it'll get 5 starts across the board.

Purchased At:   from SPORTWORKS

Submitted by Lawrence a Weekend Warrior from Los Angeles, CA

Date Reviewed: March 30, 2004

Strengths:    Quick assembly right out of the box. Oh so easy to load you bike after a long tiring ride.

Weaknesses:    Locking hitch pin does not come with it, you have to purchase it as an additional accessory.

Bottom Line:
This rack is great! From the time I pull up to the car after a long ride, I have the bike loaded and I am driving away within 25 seconds. Several years ago, when I was shopping for a hitch rack I couldn't decide between the Yakima Rim Roc and the Sportworks Transport. I ended up getting the Yakima because of availability and I have regretted that purchase from the very beginning. Watching all the other riders loaing their bikes so easily with the Sportworks would frustrate me because I had to deal with nylon straps and hooks that went around the rims to keep the bike from swaying back and forth and rubber straps that I had to struggle with to stretch around the tires. Finally broke down and got the Sportworks, and I am ever so happy that I did. The rack is expensive but when you are all loaded up and driving away while other riders are still taking off their front wheels or arranging the bikes so they don't scratch each other you have no regrets. Being a Yakima fan for many years now I am happy that Sportworks came along and made bike transportation soooooo easy.

Purchased At:   Supergo

Similar Products Used:   Saris T-Rax and Yakima rim roc

Submitted by William a Weekend Warrior from Rockville, Md

Date Reviewed: February 21, 2004

Strengths:    I support the many reviews raving about the quality and ease of loading. This is the first rack I have had that holds both my road bike and my wife's "woman's frame" without interference or loading problems. I am not a big person and was concerned about the weight and difficulty installing it. While I wouldn't want to lug it any distance, it was easy to lift into position and side into the hitch. Installation is a lot easier if you go out and buy a box-end wrench of the right size to tighten the hitch bolt. Don't skin your knuckles and strip the bolt with an adjustable wrench. Also, this is one rack that you don’t have to take on and off all the time since it very easily folds out of the way and down to open the back hatch.

Weaknesses:    I bought the $40 locking hitch bolt and cable. On my Jeep Grand Cherokee, it interfered with the electrical plug and I couldn’t use it.

Locking rings are neat and high tech, but I don’t think they are much better than the simple velcro straps on cheaper models. Also, on a rack this expensive, why not include the spacer blocks needed for this fancy ring?

Bottom Line:
Expensive, but you get a good rack for the money.

Purchased At:   Rackoutfitters.com

Similar Products Used:   Saris Bones, Super Shuttle

Bike Setup:   Road bikes, hybrids, womans's frame

Submitted by Joe a Weekend Warrior from CO, USA

Date Reviewed: December 29, 2003

Strengths:    This is the best bike rack on the market, period. It will handle any size and shape of bike (well, maybe not a recumbant). You can load or unload a bike(s) in less the 10 seconds without taking off wheels. Bikes don't touch each other and don't touch your car. I've logged over 2000 miles with it and have never had a problem. I have the 1 1/4 inch receiver hitch model mounted on a small car with a Class I receiver hitch and it is very solid. Somebody else said it was difficult mount (and remove) from car. I don't get it. Takes me about 5 minutes to get it on and about 3 minutes to remove it. I put it on and take it quite a bit (wife doesn't always like it hanging from the car) and have not had any problem with the anti-wobble bolt loosening up. By the way, the rack is around $325, but remember that you'll have to buy a receiver hitch too (assuming your truck/car doesn't have one). I got my receiver hitch for around $100 and mounted it myself.

Weaknesses:    - Should have adjustable front wheel hoops so that they can accommodate oversized dh tires (or any other tire) without buying extra hoops. I'm sure their engineers should be able to figure that out.
- Not a really big deal to me, but it's a little bit in the way when you want to access your trunk - there's actually more room to get to the trunk when the rack is down. Again, it's not a problem for me, but you need to know that it doesn't swing completely out of the way.
- Finally, the wheel hoops should have some type of "quick release" to enable you to easily adjust them back and forth on the rail. Since I use it with a lot of different bikes, I sometimes need to adjust the position of the bikes so that the handlebars from one bike don't hit the saddle from the other. I could lower the saddle, but that defeats the purpose of being able to throw the bikes on and take them off ready to ride. Anyway, to move the wheel hoops, you need loosen 4 bolts with an allen wrench - would be nice if you could easily release and clamp back down.

Bottom Line:
Great product. I listed some "weaknesses", but they're nothing compared to the weaknesses of other types of racks (e.g. unstable, bikes banging together, rack scratching car, lifting bikes to roof, taking wheels off to mount, taking 10 minutes to load bikes, etc.). Even thought it's bit expensive, it is still a great value.

Similar Products Used:   various trunk mount racks and roof mount racks and other pieces of junk.

Bike Setup:   several mtbs in different configurations.

SURVEY: Making a family's bikes easier to store and transport

Every time I've navigated through a garage full of bike handlebars or tried to wrangle 4 bikes into a single bike rack without interlocking the handlebars, I've dreamed about a solution like this. Now that it actually exists, I need to know if others share that interest. I run a bike component sta ... Read More »

SURVEY: Making MTN bikes easier to store & transport

Hello! If there were an easy way to help with transportation and storage of mountain bikes, would you be interested in it? I run a bike component start-up in the Seattle area that needs feedback from mountain bike owners before distributing a Swiss invention in the US that makes all bikes easie ... Read More »

Best way to transport bikes cross country in truck

Getting ready to move cross country and was wondering if there was a good rack system to use with a pickup. I've been using an old seat cushion as a shuttle pad for the last three years. It's worked well but 1) its about worn through 2) it's definitely not long enough to transport all my bikes. I ... Read More »

Saris Bones RS trunk rack as a long term transport solution

I'm still debating on a long term transport solution for my Yeti ASR-5 on my BMW 335i. I'm currently using a cheap Yakima Big Joe trunk rack but it's not viable for long term use. It's fine for the 20 minute drives to my local trails. But with summer here, I often want to take my bike to work to ... Read More »

Trek Transport and Actionpacker trailer

Hello my name is Richard I'm from Drummondville, Quebec, Canada .This is my Trek Transport 2012 with Rubbermaid Actionpacker trailer and on the rear rack a Stanley Fatmax 28 inch tool box and other parts on my bike is coming soon. Next Step in 2014 a 1000 watts Magic Pie 3 (Golden Motor) with two li ... Read More »