Sportworks Transport T2 Bike Rack

4.39/5 (18 Reviews)

The TranSport T2 builds upon our proven Quick-load concept, offering the ultimate in flexibility, durability and confidence. The streamlined, ride-ready design carries a wide range of bike styles and sizes from kid’s bikes with 20” wheels up to bikes with 29” wheels. Eliminate bike interference with tray-to-tray adjustability. Feel confident with our Ratcheting Quick-load system(RQL) and innovative rear wheel lockdown. Best of all, the T2 is designed and manufactured by the company who put over 50,000 bike racks on buses carrying over 12 million bikes each year. It's long on features, competitively priced and built with heart in the USA.
Features:
  • No wheel removal, no frame contact
  • Eliminates bike interference
  • 4 bikes – 2" hitch, 2 bikes –11/4" hitch
  • Folds up for storage and down for access
  • Fits a wide range of bikes
  • Carries bikes up to 60 pounds
  • Handles wheels 20" – 29" and up to 3.0" wide
  • Ratcheting rear wheel lockdown
  • Bomber anti-wobble feature
  • Locking accessory available

Submitted by Spokenipple a Racer from Okc, OK

Date Reviewed: February 14, 2008

Strengths:    update

Weaknesses:    update

Bottom Line:
Well, I have to take more away from this product now. I'm sad to say that I'd never buy this again in it's present form. Thule really screwed up a good thing and that might be ok if their customer service didn't SUCK!

I mentioned the ratchet straps being wimpy...well, now it appears they're just really poorly redesigned. The cam catch thingy is made of plastic and it's not UV-stable. I had one break (while using it properly). This is a hassle, but Thule has a lifetime warranty on their products, right? You wouldn't BELIEVE the crap my lbs had to go through to get the part from them. It took FOUR months and they sent the wrong part the first time. On top of that, they were extremely condescending and at first claimed that it wasn't covered under warranty. To top THAT off, the same part broke on the other strap a few months later. It's just a poorly designed little plastic piece, but on top of the other "improvements" Thule made to the Sportworks design, I'd buy the new Yakima rack or possibly the Saris if I were to get another one. Thumbs down to Thule. Sorry.

Submitted by John from Murfreesboro, TN

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2007

Strengths:    Extremely quick and easy to mount bikes, very secure. It's nice to not have bug splattered all over my frame (like with a roof rack). The entire rack locks securely to the hitch receiver with Thule's hitch-lock add-on.

Weaknesses:    Doesn't fold up against my Civic (hitch receiver is too far underneath the car), so I have to leave it down, but I new this might be the case before I got it, so no big deal. The "locks" on each arm are worthless! Just squeezing the release lever extra hard will defeat the lock mechanism (and possibly damage the lever, mine got stuck). Someone could also remove the bike from the front wheel (quick release) and take both parts that way. Luckily, I had cannibalized my locks from my old roof rack, so I hadn't spent any money on them, but Thule has no business marketing this rack as "lockable" with these two serious flaws. I e-mailed Thule about it and never got a reply, so I'm not pleased with their customer service, either.

Bottom Line:
I bought this rack to replace my roof rack. The roof rack functioned very well, I never had any problems with it except for the fact that it was hurting my Civic's gas mileage, even with the fairing. Despite its flaws, this is an excellent rack, and I prefer it to any other rack available on the market. Just plan on using a chain or cable lock to secure your bikes and don't invest in the locks.

Favorite Trail:   Heartbreak Ridge

Purchased At:   Online-I can't remember who exactly.

Similar Products Used:   Thule roof rack.

Bike Setup:   One that fits on this rack.

Submitted by Spokenipple a Racer from OKC, OK

Date Reviewed: March 14, 2007

Strengths:    Stable, super-quick to load, doubles as a decent workstand.

Weaknesses:    Changes made by Thule after purchasing Sportworks. Otherwise this is still the best rack on the planet.

Bottom Line:
Last summer I had to replace my newer-model Sportworks with the Thule version after someone rear-ended me. It's still the best thing going but I don't care for the minor changes made by Thule. Why do companies always have to screw up something that's perfect?

For starters, the brackets that hold the crossbars onto the main beam are made of a thinner metal than before, and they don't fit as well either. They switched to a bolt that uses a scrawny 5mm allen wrench and has a button head instead of the old 8mm cap head bolts that were better. I have no idea why they'd change this....seems stupid.

The ratchet straps were changed to a cam-type buckle that I don't like as much as the old ones, but it still works well. They need to make them out of beefier metal and perhaps with a longer cam lever -- one of mine has twisted because a friend tried to close it with too much tension. His fault, but the product should be built strong enough to take that with hand pressure.

They changed the way the main beam bolts up to the hitch, too. Again....still works, but.

I'd buy it again. I like the Sportworks rack a lot more than the similar Saris version -- much less user friendly and stable. The new Yakima looks great but I've yet to see that one in person.

The Sportworks is definitely worth the money and you won't be sorry. Easy for kids and women to quickly mount the bikes, no mud on your clothes when putting a dirty bike on the rack, and simple to use in the dark, too.

Similar Products Used:   Hollywood, Saris

Bike Setup:   2 26" wheels

Submitted by Michael Geiger a Weekend Warrior from Tampa, Florida, USA

Date Reviewed: February 4, 2007

Strengths:    Well Built. Folds up smoothly and easily. Quick and easy to load. Secure.

Weaknesses:    It weighs more than two of my bikes combined.

Bottom Line:
This is just so well built and made in USA! Bronze sintered bushings and grade 8 bolts for the folding mechanism, just so above and beyond. No wobble, no histrionics, my bikes just stay put, as they should. I was a little put off by the price, but now that I have it and have used it, it was worth every dollar! Even the lock is well made, Stainless steel bolt with an o-ring to keep debris out of the lock. I purchased this rack as the Thule 917 T2 (1 1/4 hitch). I am rating it here as I read that it is made by Sportworks. I was concerned about its weight hanging off the back of my WRX, but no problem at all. It is even high enough to keep the tires out of the exhaust flow (a problem with the Roadgear which resulted in a tire being cooked till it ruptured. Anyone who wants a well made rack, this is the one.

Purchased At:   Rack Outfitters.com

Similar Products Used:   Roadgear two bike rack.

Bike Setup:   Ibex Throphy 770, with Panaracer pro tires, otherwise stock out of the box.

Submitted by Dylan from USA

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2006

Strengths:    Overbuilt, simple to use

Weaknesses:    No lock

Bottom Line:
Love this rack, but gotta sell it. I need my hitch back. So I'm selling it on eBay today. But if you need a hitch rack, this one's highly recommended. I really appreciated the fact that I could fold this down while loaded and still get in my WRX wagon's back hatch. Minus one chili for no lock, though. Plus one for the recommendation from Chris at Speedgoat.

Purchased At:   Speedgoat

Bike Setup:   Heckler, heavily modded

Submitted by steve a Cross Country Rider from salt lake city, utah, usa

Date Reviewed: December 10, 2005

Strengths:    Easy loading. Solid construction. Bob ratchet mechanisn is the best.

Weaknesses:    No locking mechanism.

Bottom Line:
I got this rack with the third bike add on. There is no better hitch rack out there!!! It swings up. It swings down. The third bike add on is easy to install and remove. Loading bikes is a 5 second task. Sportworks racks are just the best. I use this rack for my truck and for the wifes SUV...and I use the Factory Bob roof rack on my Outback. It broke my heart to hear that Thule bought them out. I only wish I had gotten the 10% off that the previous reviewer got....C'est la vie.

Purchased At:   ors racks direct

Bike Setup:   attitude xv/slayer70/kikapu deluxe with Toyota Tundra

Submitted by Rob a Downhiller from Somerset, NJ

Date Reviewed: November 1, 2005

Strengths:    ease of loading, solid materials, convenience, mounting simplicity, workmanship

Weaknesses:    very minor problem...the rear wheel strap can be a little finicky when trying to release it.

Bottom Line:
you can't miss. better than anything mounted on your roof, and as good as any other hitch mount out there. solid as a rock, strong and simple to load/unload. An expensive option, but this is the last rack you'll ever buy and it works so well it's actually fun to use. Worth every penny. I also highly recommend ORSracksdirect.com, the best online retailer I've ever dealt with. Aside from mastering every detail from order process to packaging, they have some really sweet deals. I got free shipping, and 10% off, total price $290. Can't beat that.

Favorite Trail:   Diablo Freeride Park

Purchased At:   ORS Racks Direct

Similar Products Used:   various roof trays

Bike Setup:   Demo 9

Submitted by The Dude a Cross Country Rider from Thornton CO

Date Reviewed: October 23, 2005

Strengths:    Easy to load/unload. No scratches to car or bikes.

Weaknesses:    Does not fare well through automatic carwashes. Mine got mangled. Sales rep nor carwash warned me. Now that Thule owns them, it's taking time to get replacement parts. At least it is almost the end of the season so I can have it fixed by next season.

The finish is not as durable as your car. So don't use high pressure hoses on it.

The locking mechanism (extra add-on) can't be reached easily with my hitch since it is low and under the car. Made a locking point out of a large eye bolt and washers from home depot. I fastened it to one of the 3rd&4th bike expansion holes. Not the most secure, but a definate deterrant.

Bottom Line:
It is a pricey bike carrier. No regrets spending the extra money. Don't go in a car wash!!!!!!!!!!!!

Favorite Trail:   Anything with dirt

Purchased At:   Rockymounts Boulder CO

Bike Setup:   BBBBBBBLLLLLLUUUUUUURRRRRRR!!!!!!

Submitted by Donald a Weekend Warrior from San Diego

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2005

Strengths:    Super solid, no waobble or shaking while driving, easy to use, locks in up/down position very solidly.

Weaknesses:    Doesn't come with accessories like a locking bolt or cable. Most other racks at this price point include all the upgades.

Bottom Line:
This is far and away the best hitch mount bike rack available! It is super solid and sturdy, doesn't move at all once everything is mounted up. I have been using Yakima roofracks for years, so when I got a new vehicle, I figured I go with the high-end Yakima hitch rack, but the new racks from Yakima missed the mark! It says it will hold 4 bikes, yeah right! I only needed room for 3 and it was such a pain in the butt I took it back. So, I had the guy at the bike shop try to load 4 standard mountain bikes on the rack and after he scrathed the crap out of the 3rd bike, he gave up. They simply weren't very well thought out, bikes hit each other or worse yet ride against each other, causing serious damage to your finish, if you can fit them all on together, it just sucked! Granted this rack only holds 2 bikes, but the available add-ons racks increase that to 4 if you need it. This Sportworks T2 is so easy to use, my 9yr old daughter loads her own bike in about 15 seconds. The only thing easier would be to ride your bike wherever you're going. The only thing I would change is include the locking bolt to lock it to the vehicle. I've seen them for around $20-25, but for the price of the rack initially, it should have been part of the deal. Most other racks at this price point come with all the options included. But for the quality and ease of use, it's well worth the price!!! The only reason I gave it 4 chilis for value is the fact that the locking bolt is separate.

Favorite Trail:   Lake Hodges

Purchased At:   Black Mountain Bicycles

Similar Products Used:   Yakima roofracks (various), Yakima Slicrock 4

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Chameleon SS, Azonic Evolution II DJ/BMX/Street, Specialized Allex Elite, S&M Cruiser RV...

Submitted by Mike a Cross Country Rider from Wooster, OH

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2005

Strengths:    It's a quality product that does it's job. Loading bikes is VERY quick, easy, and the bikes are stable.

Weaknesses:    The rear tire ratchets are a minor annoyance, but the work.

Bottom Line:
I've been using my Transport T2 since March....and I absolutely LOVE it. It was one of the best $300 bike purchases I've ever made. It is rock solid, and contrary to some others experience, my anti-wobble bolt sits effectively inside the receiver and works quite well. (2003 Toyota Tacoma DC).

The T2 stays on my truck 24/7. It has the ability to rotate down and away from the tailgate allowing me to load large items in the bed (roto-tillers, mulch, commercial lawn mowers) while keeping the rack on the truck. Finally, the few times I have removed the rack from the truck, I did not find it to be very heavy or cumbersome. It removes easily and happily sits on my garage floor waiting to be put back on.

This is a great bike rack. Get one.
I give this bad boy 5 flaming Turner Turds.

Purchased At:   Rackwarehouse

Similar Products Used:   none.

Bike Setup:   Turner 5-Spot with a fat Marzocchi Z1 FR and Schwalbe Fat Albert 2.35 tires.

Submitted by Rob a Weekend Warrior from Calgary, Canada

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2005

Strengths:    Built like a tank, fast and easy to load and unload, tilts down with bikes mounted to access vehicle

Weaknesses:    Anti-wobble bolts are a cruel joke, sticks wwwaaayyy out the back of the vehicle

Bottom Line:
Although it was a bit of a nightmare to get my hands on this rack (Thule Canada doesn't stock them yet, and Sportworks doesn't sell them through Norco anymore, so I had to suffer through Supergo in the USA to get one), it was worth the wait. It is the only rack like it on the market that offers the must have tilt-down feature that allows you to access the back of your vehicle (trunk, SUV hatch, etc.) without taking off the bikes. Others like the Saris Cycle-On are actually nicer racks overall, but lack this one feature, making them almost useless for me. I thought that it would be hard to move the rack up and down with the bikes on it, but it was actually pretty easy. Pull the pin, yank the lever, let the rack drop down. To put it back, just lift the bikes until the rack locks into place, replace the pin, and you're off.

It seems that on almost any Nissan SUV hitch, the anti-wobble bolts are mostly useless. The top anti-wobble bolt is more than an inch too far away from end of the hitch reciever to actually be of any use. And if you want to use the locking hitch pin you already own, you have to do without the side anti-wobble bolt. With all of the engineering that went into this rack, I would have hoped they could solve such a simple problem.

Despite the shortcomings, this rack is well built, easy to use, and worth the trouble of getting one.

Purchased At:   Supergo

Submitted by demo_slug a Weekend Warrior from san jose

Date Reviewed: June 11, 2005

Strengths:    fast unloading

Weaknesses:    eats forks. drops bikes. product suport is finger pointing between sportworks and thule.

Bottom Line:
I got the hitch mount. I like the the old transport for roof applications. but I have seen bikes dangling off them.

this T2 bike rack is not compatible with large tires and big forks. beware if you have a sherman fork. Per sportworks the sherman tests the limit of teh rack's capability.

tried sorting out my issues with thule and sportworks. but they are usless.

supergo is giving me my money back without issues. but I'd need to sue thule to replace my fork.

1 flamin' chili becuase rule one for a rack is don't damage bikes.

Purchased At:   supergo

Similar Products Used:   sportworks transport.

Bike Setup:   38 pound trail bike.

Submitted by ZAC a Downhiller from SANTA BARBARA

Date Reviewed: May 11, 2005

Strengths:    STRONG, EASY TO USE, RELIABLE, DOESN'T WOBLE LIKE MOST STANDS

Weaknesses:    NONE.... IT IS A LITTLE HEAVY TO PUT UP AND TAKE DOWN ALL DAY BUT THAT IS WHY IT FOLDS UP AND THATS THE PRICE YOU PAY TO HAVE SOMETHING THAT IS BULLIT PROOF

Bottom Line:
GET THIS RACK THIS RAACK BEATS ALL OTHERS EASYLEY...iT CAN CARRY A LARGE RANGE OF BIKES AND IT CAN CARRY UP TO 4 OF YOUR BEST BIKES WITHOUT A WORRY

Purchased At:   VELO PRO

Submitted by Ron a Weekend Warrior from UT

Date Reviewed: May 9, 2005

Strengths:    1. The T2 has the same great death grip "Wheel Only" bike retention as the T1 preventing the need to remove the front wheel and making any contact with the frame. Bikes literally mount up in seconds.
2. Same great build quality with a heavy and durable powder coat finish, with the ability to carry up to four bikes.
3. The Front Wheel Cradles and the Rear Wheel Lock Downs offer the ability to securely carry anything from skinny road tires, to 3.0 DH tires, there's room to spare on either side of my Kenda 2.35 Nevegals. The Cradles even have the radius to support you 29'ers. Those of you with the T1 know it was always an issue getting the bigger tires to fit within the front hoops and rear locking ring. Problem solved with flying colors.
4. The T2 encorporates an adjustable bracket which allows you to adjust the pitch and offset of each rack independently from one another eliminating the T1's tendency to allow the bikes to interfere with each other, particularly handle bars to opposing saddles. Again, huge improvement.
5. The "4-Bar (no there isn't an ICT patent sticker on it... yet) Link Folding Mechanism" is much easier and smoother than the T1 to operate as you fold the rack up/down to stow/load it.

In short Sportworks took a great product and made it near perfect. If you're in the market for a hitch mount rack pick up a Sportworks while supplies last. As the rack gets a few more miles under its belt, I'm heading to Moab in May, I'll post any additional thoughts, and if you want 'em pictures.

Weaknesses:    1. The T2 seems heavier than the T1 which was already a little cumbersome to get on and off the vehicle, a minor issue at best.
2. The T2 includes a second anti-wobble bolt (for the 2" hitch only) in an attempt to further reduce rack movement, but I won't be able to tell you if it works because it isn't far enough down the rack's hitch base to allow it to insert within the truck's (Nissan Titan) hitch receiver. It's shy by just under an inch. Bummer .

Bottom Line:
I've always been a fan of hitch mount racks because they keep my truck bed free for gear, particularly when camping/road tripping, and it's just easier to deal with a bike at hitch height rather than roof rack height. Sportworks took a great product (the T1) and made it near perfect. If you're in the market for a hitch mount rack pick up a Sportworks while supplies last. As the rack gets a few more miles under its belt, I'm heading to Moab in May, I'll post any additional thoughts.