Sportworks Insta-Gater Bike Rack

4.75/5 (12 Reviews)

The Insta-Gater Pick-Up Bed rack features our secure and convenient Ratcheting Quick-Load system (RQL). The Insta-Gater features a truly innovative design that allows for the transport of your bike in the bed of your truck without removing the wheels. Imagine a rack that can be installed in seconds and loaded in seconds with no drilling or bolting! Just drop the anchors in between the tailgate and the bed of your truck and close the tailgate. The ratcheting straps easily secure the rack in place. The Insta-gater will accomodate a wide range of bikes and components, from lefty forks, to disc brakes, to BMX bikes and downhill rigs.
  • Single-bike, wheels-on rack that mounts in between truck tailgate and pick-up bed
  • Installs in seconds, comes fully assembled right out of the box
  • No drilling or bolting necessary
  • Utilizes Sportworks patented Ratcheting Quick-load System (RQL)
  • No wheel removal required
  • Accommodates 20" to 29" wheels

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Matty P a Cross Country Rider from Albuquerque NM

Date Reviewed: June 12, 2006

Strengths:    Super fast to install. Takes literally seconds to get your bike locked in.

Weaknesses:    NO LOCK!!!

Bottom Line:
    This thing is pretty sweet, and truly is just about the only rack that will work with my Lefty.

I am probably going to permanantly mount it to my bed with some U-bolts though, becasue it kinda freaks me out that someone could just open the tailgate and jack my rack (haha that rhymes).

I also REALLY wish it had a locking mechanism (hence only 4 chilis for my overall rating).

Anyway, bottom line is this is a great rack. Plus you can get it for $60 shipped from www.backcountryoutlet.com. Can't beat that. If you've got a Lefty, you have no choice but to buy this rack.

Favorite Trail:   365 in the foothills

Purchased At:   http://www.backcountryoutlet.com/

Similar Products Used:   Thule low rider

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Rush 600 (the Lefty rules all!)

Submitted by Rick Alston a Weekend Warrior from Grand Forks, ND USA

Date Reviewed: April 28, 2006

Strengths:    Sportworks Insta-gator is an excellent design that is easy to use, and it even works when used upside down.

Weaknesses:    I canot think of even one !

Bottom Line:
    I bought two Sportworks Insta-Gater's while visiting Abilene, Texas. I used both of them during the 1300 mile trip home. I installed them upside down to lower the MTB enough to fit under the (Cap, Cover, Shell, Topper whatever you call it). The bikes didnt move at all, and there was no adjustment required during the entire tip. I didnt worry about theft because the bikes were locked inside my topper. What a great product, buy it!

Favorite Trail:   John Wayne

Purchased At:   Bike Town Abilene TX

Similar Products Used:   Saris 3 bike hitch carrier

Bike Setup:   Trek 5000 road bike, Trek Liquid 30 all mountain

Submitted by Baby Kong a Cross Country Rider from Kalamazoo, MI

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2005

Strengths:    Compact, easy to install very sturdy. Great design for my truck bed gives you lateral movement.Works with my Lefty fork

Weaknesses:    just be sure to use a bungee cord on the rear wheel to keep it from bouncing up

Bottom Line:
    I read several other reviews and thought for the money it was better then anything else I could find. It turned out to be much easier to use and setup, I trust it will hold things in place.

Favorite Trail:   Ft (Mustard) Custard

Purchased At:   Breakaway Bicycles

Bike Setup:   Cannondale, Jekkyl, Lefty Shock, Hayes Hydrualics, Fox rear suspension

Submitted by Matt Lepcio a Cross Country Rider from Lynchburg, VA

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2005

Strengths:    Easy setup and quick bike mounting.

Weaknesses:    No locking mechanism.

Bottom Line:
    Excellent bike rack. Only takes seconds to get your bike in or out of the truck. I do wish that they put an extra loop in the frame for securing to the truck. Drop the tailgate and someone has your bike and rack. Solved problem by using cables through my tie downs in the bed of the truck. Wish I bought this rack earlier.

Favorite Trail:   Douthat State Park

Purchased At:   Bikes Unlimited

Similar Products Used:   Front tire removal skewer type.

Bike Setup:   '01 Santa Cruz Superlight with a Fox RLT and all SRAM X.O drivetrain.

Submitted by Justin Moore a Weekend Warrior from San Antonio, Texas, U.S.A.

Date Reviewed: July 5, 2005

Strengths:    Ready to work right out of the box. Makes securing and removing bicycles effortless and quick (literally seconds to load or unload the bicycle). No hassle with removing front tire. Bike secured and immobile during transport.

Weaknesses:    Lack of a built-in locking mechanism to secure the bicycles from potential thefts (this can be done yourself by securing the bicycle to the pickup bed using other means).

Bottom Line:
    An amazing product that makes transporting bicycles in a pickup bed incredibly easy. We have a Ford F-150 with a 5.5' bed. At first it did not appear the bicycles would fit but by positioning the rear tire into the corners of the front of the truck bed we are able to secure both our bicycles.

If your truck bed is less than 5.5ft you need to find a different solution.

This bike rack will spoil you with its ease of use!!

Favorite Trail:   McAllister Park

Purchased At:   RackOutfitters.com

Similar Products Used:   N/A

Bike Setup:   '05 Fisher Tassajara (x2 - wife and I) - 2001 Ford F-150 Supercrew 4X4.

Submitted by David a Cross Country Rider from Boca Raton, FL

Date Reviewed: June 1, 2005

Strengths:    Simple to set-up. Really simple. If you have a pick-up truck and don't buy this, you're just stubborn. $100 to protect a $2000 bike seems simple enough to justify. I lock the bike up through some large trailer hooks for my 5th wheel trailer so I have no problem there. Also use a ratchet strap "just in case". Like just in case I didn't shut tailgate fully and it pops open during drive. Go get one!!

Weaknesses:    None for me...

Bottom Line:
    Don't be stubborn or cheap...What do you want someone to sit back there and hold bike for you???

Similar Products Used:   Pickup bed...Saris fork clamp thingy on toolbox. This now is for friend's bike...

Bike Setup:   Trance 2 with some extra stuff

Submitted by Gene Furr a Weekend Warrior from Greenville

Date Reviewed: May 8, 2005

Strengths:    Light, quick to set-up, simplicity, price.

Weaknesses:    Locking ability

Bottom Line:
    I started with trunk racks and then Yakima Big Horn, then bought a Sportworks Mod series for my Honda Civic. This rack was the best I have ever used.

Enter my truck.....With the quality, simplicity, and price of the mod series for my car, I bought (2) Instagators for my truck. I have retired my mod series rack to my attic. Plain and simple.....Sportworks racks are the absolute best that I have seen. I love the rachet system on the instagator versus the bungie arm on the mod series. My only drawback is security to the truck. I would recommend this rack system to anybody with a bike. No regrets.

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   Many

Bike Setup:   Specialized Marathon Epic 04

Submitted by Josh Taylor a Weekend Warrior from Stanley, NC

Date Reviewed: February 1, 2005

Strengths:    Well built, simplicity, can be installed and removed from your truckbed in seconds.

Weaknesses:    After a year of heavy use......NONE

Bottom Line:
    This thing rocks.....plain and simple. Finally somebody has made a truckbed rack that doesn't require you to remove your front tire to use it. I've been waiting for this for a long time and the wait was worth it. The sub $100 was very surprising as Sportworks is not know for being the cheapest kid on the block...I thought maybe they'd skimp on quality at that price BUT they didn't. After years of taking off front tires or getting up in the bed to tighten down tow straps it's great to be able to lift my bike over into the bed, ratchet rack arm down, and hit the road. Loading and unloading literally takes under 5 seconds. Now I own 2 of these Insta-Gaters. Some people are complaining about there not being a lock but it is really no big deal. I simply run a Kryptonite cable thru the bike and the rack and lock it to my truck. If Sportworks ever stops making them I'm gonna buy up a bunch of them.
    If you own a truck this is by far the best rack for the money so go get one today.

Purchased At:   http://www.rideabike.com

Similar Products Used:   Tow Straps, Yakima BedHead

Submitted by Bill a Cross Country Rider from Woodinville, WA

Date Reviewed: January 7, 2005

Strengths:    Fast, easy, strong

Weaknesses:    no lock

Bottom Line:
    This product works GREAT! For years I was happy just tossing my bike in the truck bed, or using tie downs when I felt the need to be more organized (rare case). I could not imagine anything easier than tossing the bike in the bed. Wrong! This rack allows me to fasten the bike securely in seconds, really just seconds. No movement, no sliding, no in-transite dings or scratches. Which leaves me plenty of opportunity to put on well-earned trail dings and scratches instead.

It was easy to install, simply close the tailgate on the straps and tighten. The locking ratchet arm is brilliant.

I lock things with a cable lock thru the rack and bike when needed.

If you are hauling your bikes around in a truck bed, buy this rack.

Favorite Trail:   Nobel Canyon, Trabuco, Some ridge in the Cascades

Purchased At:   The Path

Similar Products Used:   tie downs, nothing

Bike Setup:   Ventana EL Chamuco, Surly Karate Monkey 29'er

Submitted by Karen F a Cross Country Rider from Ft. Lauderdale, FL

Date Reviewed: November 28, 2004

Strengths:    It honestly takes 1 minute to install, lift bike into place, ratch it down and you are good to go. No disassembly of bike required.

Weaknesses:    - ZERO ability to lock the rack/bike to your truck.
    - Its a little pricey.

Bottom Line:
    If you want something quick and simple and don't want to deal with the hassle of disassembling your bike for transport (or having a permanent bike rack fixed to your vehicle), this is the perfect rack. My friends are always amazed at how quickly I load and unload the bike. I have driven with the loaded rack all over the place at speeds that I am too embarrased to mention and my bike rear tire has never moved an inch. I also have been off-road with my truck with the bike in the back and never had any problems.

Since the rack has no way of locking it to your vehicle, I had to loop a steel cable from it, under the tailgate, and through a towing hook on the underside of my truck. I also take a bike chain and loop it from the rack to my bike. Would I trust it enough to leave it overnight? Probably not, but I trust it enough for quick food and fuel stops.

Its price combined with the inability to lock the rack/bike is the reason why I am giving it only 4 chilis. Otherwise, great product.

Favorite Trail:   Razorback

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   Old fashioned way of just throwing my bike on truck bed.

Bike Setup:   Trek 8500 - Full XTR - Easton Monkeylite XC bars - Thomson seatpost - Avid brakes

Submitted by Dave M from Seattle, WA

Date Reviewed: August 23, 2004

Strengths:    Easy to install. Able to load up bikes quickly. Bikes remain stable when traveling at speed.

Bottom Line:
    I've used this rack for a while now and I really like it. It's very easy to install in the pickup bed and it holds the bike in place very well. Driving at speed or over a lot of bumps is not a problem...the bike remains stable.