SeaSucker Talon Bike Rack

Single Bike Rack for Roof Tops with Rear Wheel Strap. Front fork holder for one bike, attached to three 6" SeaSuckers. Includes one Rear Wheel Strap (6" SeaSucker with hook-and-loop straps) to secure your bike's rear wheel and keep the tail from sliding left or right. This rack has one fork clamp attached to three 6" SeaSuckers. Rack body made of 1/2" HDPE, which makes it strong enough to hold your bike yet flexible enough to follow the curve of your roof line. Designed to mount to your roof and front windshield, but can be used just about anywhere - on the roof, on the trunk, etc. Approximate size: 15" x 12".

Submitted by Odii a Cross Country Rider from Phoenix, AZ, USA

Date Reviewed: February 7, 2012

Strengths:    Pluses: Goes on anything, looks cool, portable, isn't permanent, strong, Value

Weaknesses:    Need accessories to secure to vehicle

Bottom Line:
Here is the URL at MTBR.com for my full review with color pictures of it in use http://forums.mtbr.com/car-biker/sea-sucker-talon-review-765867.html

So, let me give you a small back story on why I was interested in SeaSucker Talon Bike Rack.

I work for a car rental company, and drive a different company car home, usually nightly. Recently, we have started a pilot program and was given a vehicle that I would be using for some period of time.

The reason I mention this is because, bicycle transportation has always been iffy for me. I'm never certain if I will be taking home a vehicle that I can transport my bike in, and if I can, it usually means trunk and the backseat is completely taken up.

If i bought a hitch rack, very seldom would a vehicle I take home have a hitch.

After trying to think of some solutions, I remember seeing "Sea Sucker Bike Racks" posted, I decided to do some research. After seeing the price-tag I was a little turned off, but as we all know, having a quality rack for transporting your expensive and dear bike is going to cost.

When I found out I would be having a Chevy Malibu for a couple months, I decided I didn't want that to affect my riding, so I ordered up a Sea Sucker Talon as a birthday present for myself.

The item itself is pretty amazing, I'm really digging it.

Here's the deal with this rack, plain and simple - READ THE INSTRUCTIONS.

The "Apply moisture to the sealing edge of your SeaSucker" seems to be a key in having a solid, secure hold. I just use some water from my camelback or bottle of water on each sucker, swish the water around and then attach to car. If you don't have a moist sealing edge, you will not have a good seal.

If you can't tell, I'm pretty pumped about this rack. Used it twice this weekend and got some good feedback from riding buddies and strangers.

I still need to purchase the accessory that allows you to attach it to the vehicle via the window or trunk.

Pluses: Goes on anything, looks cool, portable, isn't permanent, strong, Value

Room for improvement: Case- something to keep it in when not in use, need more regional sales reps, carry in stores so you can see it in person without making a blind purchase.

Overall Opinion: This thing ROCKS! It resolves ALL of my bike transportation needs.

Click on the thumbnails for a larger pic.

Here is a picture of the Talon, itself - This connects to your bike's quick release

Here is the picture of the portion that you secure to your rear wheel

Each "Sucker" has a protective cover when not in use

They even give a free spare "sucker"

This is my bike after attaching the SeaSucker Rack and putting my bike up (you can see some water on the windshield from me getting the seals wet)

Here is the rear wheel

Notice I need to get a padlock for the rack. Also need to purchase the window lock to secure the rack to the car.

My wife being patient as she waits for me taking pictures of my SeaSucker

Favorite Trail:   Sonoran Preseve, BCT, Trail 100

Purchased At:   lakelandgear.com

Similar Products Used:   None - Product unique due to portability and ability to be used on any vehicle

Bike Setup:   Giant Revel 1

Upgrade Giant Talon Drivetrain?

Hi, I just purchased a 2015 Giant Talon 4 (27.5), and I have already upgraded the fork to a Suntour Raidon through their upgrade program. Now I'm thinking about upgrading drivetrain, but I don't know what is compatible with my bike. I like the idea of going 1x10, so I was looking at 1x10 groupsets ... Read More »

Aquaminor Talon Action Camera Mount On Kickstarter

[COLOR=#333333][video=youtube;Vn7BVnocmsk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vn7BVnocmsk[/video][/COLOR][COLOR=#333333] My name is Brian from Aquaminor. I would like to pass along news about our product called Talon that is now featured on Kickstarter. Talon is our game changing Gopro action camera mo ... Read More »

Giant Talon 29er equivilent?

Hi - Been looking for a new 29er and liked the feel of the giant talon 29er but not a big fan of the all black look.... does anyone know of something that is comparable to this size and gearing component and geometry wise?... I need it in an xl frame..appreciate any help...thanksRead More »

2015 Giants - Looking at the Talon 27.5 1 or the Stance 27.5 1

Ok so I want to get back into riding. I never have really rode single track. I rode a small loop 5 or so years ago on my old GT which has been hanging in the garage since. It was really tough, but I think it's more because I was not used to riding single track. [ATTACH=CONFIG]923643[/ATTACH] ... Read More »

Upgrading Giant Talon 29

A little about me. Im 15 and have been riding xc for a couple years mostly in lancaster PA area. When I got into mountain biking a couple years ago I purchased a 2012 Giant Talon 29 2. This was a pretty "beginner" bike which was perfect for my needs. After getting completely hooked into mtb I starte ... Read More »