Saris Sentinel 2 Bike Bike Rack

2.5/5 (2 Reviews)

Saris SentinelTrunk/Rear Mount Bike Racks Comes assembled AdjustsTo fit most vehicles Item Specifications Number of Bikes 2 Unit of Sale Each Ship Weight 14 lbs

Submitted by Connie M a Weekend Warrior from san ramon,ca

Date Reviewed: June 22, 2010

Bottom Line:
The rack was a complete failure with 2 bikes flying off the rack, rack breaking away from car while on freeway. The design with the hold downs moveable on the bars allows the bikes to shift. They shifted right to the end of the bars and popped off the end pieces and the whole thing flew off my car while on the freeway.

Submitted by Barbarino a Weekend Warrior from Fort Lauderdale

Date Reviewed: November 3, 2009

Strengths:    I like how I can open and close my trunk with it on so I can get to my gear in the trunk. I also like it's super lite weight, folds with ease and was cheap.

Weaknesses:    I wish it would stick out further away from my bumper I blame both my car make and model and the rack but it does not rub against the car.

Bottom Line:
This was my first rack for MTBing, I was told to get the Bones but this was half the price. I used it for a while then got a deal on a Bone 2. Bad move, the Bones was way more robust yet didn't hold my bikes nearly as well. So I went back to the Sent 2. I drive a 06 Mustang GT with a spoiler so it's difficult to find racks that work. I bought a Saris front wheel strap for 7 bucks that keeps the front tire from hitting the bumper. I make sure the inside pedal is in the up position and behind the down strap so it can't move. I also use one bungee to keep the bike attached to the rack. Easy to use and best of all easy to fold and toss in the trunk. The Bones 2 has 3 sets of straps, which is odd considering I carried two bikes on my Stang with the Sent 2 and it only has 2 straps. The Bones is a super pain to setup, remove from your car then store. Weighs twice as much as well and I was told I needed an adapter to get it to work with the sway strp. Also you can't open your trunk with the Bones on your car. Sent 2, cheap, easy and just works for my particular setup. I'm sure there are better racks out there, but I don't need to waste any more money, this one works for me. The straps have not scratched my pain and the foam pads seem not to both the paint either.

Favorite Trail:   Markham Park