Saris Roof Rack Bike Rack

4.12/5 (77 Reviews)

Saris Roof Rack

Submitted by Kyle Andersen a Weekend Warrior from Sioux Falls, SD

Date Reviewed: November 30, 2007

Strengths:    Easy to put on and take off. Sharp looking and very usable. I got it for College to take my two bikes, snowboard, and skies back and forth from Sioux Falls, SD to Missoula, MT. I do not regret getting it at all.

Weaknesses:    Noise past 50mph.

Bottom Line:
Great rack.

Favorite Trail:   Union Groove

Purchased At:   Ebay

Bike Setup:   Gary Fisher Sugar 3+, Giant Boulder that I turned into a single speed to screw around on.

Submitted by Paul a Weekend Warrior from Cedar City, UT

Date Reviewed: March 27, 2006

Strengths:    Very strong and secure. Nice design and low profile - found other racks to be bulky looking and sit too high off roof. Incredibly easy to put on/take off. Nice that there is one key for locking the rack to the car and the mount to the rack. The locking skewers are nice in that the inner bold has a notch that must be aligned with the notch in your fork. At first I found this annoying - then I realized that this enables you to close the clamp without breaking a few fingers, then turn it clockwise to tighten it to the perfect snugness without a ton of trial and error.

Weaknesses:    Whistles like a banshee - can quickly and easily be solved by placing electrical tape over the grooves on the bars. Got the faring for free from my LBS, but I don't like it. It is too short so its difficult to get it up high enough to divert the wind over the bar. I also found it a pain to adjust.
The fork mount kept loosening on me. I'd tighten the adjusting screws, but after a week or so of use they would loosen to the point that I could here them wobbling a bit over the smallest bumps. This is the only reason I give it 4 chili's instead of 5. I applied some lock-tite to the screws and reset them. Hoefully that will do the trick or I will have to contact Saris.

Bottom Line:
I am very happy with the rack. The crossbars are extremely tight and secure. IMO the rack is more attractive than any other I've seen. It is by far the easiest rack to install. You can easily do it yourself in about 2 minutes. I would definately recommend this rack for its security, easy of use, and overall design

Favorite Trail:   still searching

Similar Products Used:   Thule roof rack

Bike Setup:   Specialized Epic

Submitted by Tom a Weekend Warrior from Elmira, NY, USA

Date Reviewed: March 14, 2006

Strengths:    Strong. Easy to set up. I've used it to carry and boxed up new recliner, an assembled Weber bbq grill, etc. I bought right angle braces at the hardware store, put the nuts and bolts so the bolt (round head) slid in the Saris slot and use them to hold lumber in place. This rack will hold anything.

Weaknesses:    Noise. But, I haven't purchased a fairing.

Bottom Line:
Buy it.

Purchased At:   Gear to go tandems

Bike Setup:   Fork mount. THe upright mount consistently strips the finish and decals off your bike and wobbles constantly when driving.

Submitted by Jerod a Weekend Warrior from Kansas city

Date Reviewed: November 18, 2005

Strengths:    Easy and very quick to install!!!

Weaknesses:    Water leakage!!! If any one has any idea how to get this thing to stop leaking please let me know. I have the right clips but on my 03 accord water is getting in the car. Any pointers please help a drownding biker.

Bottom Line:
Good rack and very easy installation. A little pricey but well work the money in time and frustration. If i can get the thing to stop leaking it would be a blessing.

Submitted by Joe Radio a Cross Country Rider from La Crosse, WI

Date Reviewed: February 21, 2005

Strengths:    This rack can carry anything. I bought it for bikes and canoe, but have carried hundreds of pounds of plywood, drywall, wood, steel (bulk lengths). I even hauled a new double garage door home on it.

Weaknesses:    The ends whistled til I put tape over them.

Bottom Line:
After 6-7 years of multipurpose use, it still serves me well. This rack has saved me lots of time and money because it replaced having a truck to haul stuff. It is very strong and looks great. I have had some paint chipping off, but figure it was from the extreme use. I recommend this rack to anyone, especially if you do multiple sports.

Favorite Trail:   Human Powered Trails

Purchased At:   Sport Haven

Similar Products Used:   Homemade racks, trunk racks

Bike Setup:   2005 GF Sugar 293, 2000 R85 Vision recumbant tandem, 2001 Terratrike, various roadbikes, cruzers and mountian bikes.

Submitted by Twister a Cross Country Rider from NJ

Date Reviewed: November 19, 2004

Strengths:    -Used hundreds of times & has worked flawlessly
-It's the best looking rack out there
-Most ergonomic design on the market
-I use two wheel mounts and they're incredible
-I can load or unload 2 bikes in less than one minute!!! You can't beat that and it adds up in saved time quickly...
-entire rack goes on / off car in just a few minutes

Weaknesses:    -They should give you more than 1 key when you buy it
-Whistles - they should provide shield thing or aerodynamic tape whatever out of the box.
-Time consuming and somewhat frustrating to switch car-specific clips because the bolt is hard to get to (this is not a problem unless you want to put the rack on different model cars often)

Bottom Line:
It's simply the best looking, strongest and easiest to use roof rack out there. I guarantee that you won't regret choosing this rack over any other. I always grin to myself when I pull into a lot and other bikers are taking all this time to load/unload their bikes, and I just pop mine in and drive away!

What's the deal with the fork mounting setups? Is there any advantage to that? To me it seems ridiculous that you would want to remove your front tire all the time. What a pain in the asss! Like most true mountain bikers I drive fast and hard, and I've never had a problem with my bikes coming off. Just get the real deal with the full tray and tire mount!!

Favorite Trail:   twisty narrow roller coaster single track

Purchased At:   LBS - sorry, forgot $$$

Similar Products Used:   Thule, Yakima

Bike Setup:   2003 Giant Rainier, shimano clipless, nothing special but it works well for a <$650 setup!

Submitted by Dan a Cross Country Rider from Woodridge, IL

Date Reviewed: August 25, 2003

Strengths:    Holds the bikes there. Easy on and off.

Weaknesses:    Fork mounts have been kind of weak. I've got both the old design which can have the angle adjusted as well as the new design which is set. The old design was nice because you had the convenience of rotating the fork down although I'll admit, when the wheel was actually in there it wouldn't stay in one place regardless of how tight you got it. Gave me more than a couple scares on the highway. Also, it doesn't hold paint worth anything and rusts very easily. The new design is far more rigid although it sticks too far up so I can't enter parking garages with it on. I wouldn't say my car is incredibly tall either, just a Subaru Outback. The design also has a problem with paint chipping easily. As far as the actual bike mounts go I'd say they're pretty strong although I have had consistent problems of the rear mount not staying tight and therefore moving around. It's not as rigid as systems like Thule but it does well enough.

Bottom Line:
Here's what it comes down to. In April my buddy and I were driving through Wyoming when he hit a patch of ice and slid off the road. Both of our bikes(one of them a 50 pound cruiser) were still there when we came to a stop in a ditch. Also I might add on that same trip we got my car up to 118 on a mountain in Utah and the bikes were perfectly stable. It's a nice rack although there are still some kinks to work out. Not bad but get a Thule instead.

Favorite Trail:   Palos

Similar Products Used:   Thule

Bike Setup:   frame and two wheels

Submitted by dave hill a Racer from madison,wisconsin

Date Reviewed: August 12, 2003

Strengths:    Easy to mount on roof of car/mini van - I have two sets.

Weaknesses:    Unfortunately it is the new locking fork mounts

Bottom Line:
I have struggled with the new locking fork mounts - new for 03. The older mount design works just like putting on your front wheel, snug both sides and close the clamp - done. Not with the new mounts, the right side has to set in the right side of the fork with a notce, to stop rotation. Then the left side is away from the fork - adjustments done only on this side. There is no snuging options to get a feel on tightness. When closing the clamp, it moves in on the fork, leaving it either to tight or to loose. You must back it off and try again, I have struggle with it being to tight or not tight enough, leaving me worried about it falling off. Two mechanics at my lbs shop have had others express the same issues. I have contacted Saris about the issue to see if I could get a return on the new mounts, they are not convienent or safe for my needs. I ride a lot and use the rack at least 4 - 5 times per week

Favorite Trail:   all

Purchased At:   Trek

Similar Products Used:   Saris/older model w/o lock mounts, Im well versed between the two.

Bike Setup:   Bianchi, Cannondale

Submitted by Carlos a Weekend Warrior from d

Date Reviewed: June 4, 2003

Strengths:    Looks, strength, locking mechanism.

Weaknesses:    Wind whistling, but this can be fix with the fairing.

Bottom Line:
This is the easiest roof mount rack I have ever seen or used. I take it off after every use and it only takes me a couple of minutes. No one will be able to do that with other brands. make sure you buy the fairing as the rack (like all the others) makes a lot of noise.
I have never had a problem with securing my bikes, and I take the car to 80mph and everything stays there. The locks I only use to make sure the rack does not become loose. I use some other way to lock my bikes.

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Trunk racks

Bike Setup:   Trek Fuel 100

Submitted by Dan a Cross Country Rider from North Texas, USA

Date Reviewed: April 28, 2003

Strengths:    Easy on and easy off, looks cool.

Weaknesses:    I have the older version fork mounts which do not have the locking skewers.

Bottom Line:
This product great! It takes a total of 10 minutes to mount/dismount from the car, it holds my bike securely and and it looks cool. To top it off Saris (Graber) support is fantastic! They mailed me a replacement keys, no charge, when I lost the originals.

Favorite Trail:   Cedar Hill State Park

Purchased At:   aardvark cycles

Bike Setup:   Trek 8900

Submitted by Adam W. a Weekend Warrior from Central Maryland

Date Reviewed: March 30, 2003

Strengths:    Easy to install/detach, new locking QRs have super long-throw cams that require no unscrewing to clear fork tabs, better looking than either Yakima or Thule

Weaknesses:    I want to move the fork mounts around, but they're pretty well stuck in place... my own dumb fault for tightening them down too much, I guess. I'll try a rubber mallet.

Bottom Line:
I'm blown away by the new locking skewers that Saris has to offer... and everyone else is right, wind whistling can be controlled by liberal application of electrical tape. The rack is a cinch to pull off; it only adds a couple of minutes to the time it takes me to wash my car. I admit to reversing the fairing - I'm all for advertising Saris, but huge block letters covering the fairing doesn't do it for me, I'd rather cover it with stickers. Besides, the rack is distinctive enough as it is. I'll happily spread the good word.

Favorite Trail:   Schaeffer Farms

Similar Products Used:   Slight experience w/ Yakima

Bike Setup:   Bianchi veloce, Bianchi griz, Specialized FSR all atop a '95 Hyundai Sonata

Submitted by anthony a Weekend Warrior from easton, pa

Date Reviewed: March 23, 2003

Strengths:    Self aligning bars allow one person to install rack in minutes...no adjustment neccessary

Weaknesses:    I bought the bike used and own a pontiac vibe..Saris said the bars were the proper length and reccomended clips to mount the front bar on the roof of my pontiac vibe and the back bar on the rack....well the front clips weren't even close to fitting...after much discussion with saris telling me their engineers measure the toyota version (matrix) and that the clips will fit the car...Well they didn't reach across or even follow the contour of my roof!!! so I had them send me a pair of factory rack mounts and both bars are mounted on the factory roof rack...The rack hangs off the back of my car about 6 inches, and interfers with the rear window...but not much.Saris told me this mounting would not give me the required spacing of 18"? betwwen load bars...well i actually have over24"!!!

Bottom Line:
I ended up paying 200 for two fork mounts and one bike mount, and 40 for clips.. This is an excellent, sturdy, easy to set up roof rack...other than Saris clip problems, it is a great product. I sure hope the engineers that measured my car realize that their front clips absolutely do not fit the front of the car...5 chili's for the rack itself and the mtbr classifieds...but 4 chilis for the clip problem

Favorite Trail:   Chimney Rock (NJ)

Purchased At:   MTBR Classifieds

Similar Products Used:   Saris Bones (friends) what a great rack!!
others are too expensive and a pain to install

Bike Setup:   GF pre genesis HKOK....soon to be Kona owner

Submitted by T C a Weekend Warrior from Playa del Rey, CA

Date Reviewed: March 20, 2003

Strengths:    great design. Entire rack on and off the car in less than 10 mins. We carry our tandem on this thing all over the state and it has never given us any problems. Integrated locks (we have the optional locks on the tandem mount as well) make sure the rack and bike stays put. Great not having to remove the front tire to mount the tandem.

Weaknesses:    after a few years the paint job isn't looking so hot. Also noise when not "tapped up". Noise problem is easily solved by a $2 roll of black duct tape. Just cover the grove on top of the rack, and the slits underneath by the towers.

Bottom Line:
Best rack out there. Look on ebay and mtbreview, you can usually get a good deal on a used one. Check the saris website for proper racks. Get the upright mounts which are lockable. Take the wheel straps off when not using them. Get a roll of black duct tape.

Best thing is that the rack comes off in 10 mins when not in use.

Purchased At:   mtbreview classified

Similar Products Used:   none, first roof rack. Much perfer to use trunk racks and hitch mounts, but the tandem is just too long

Bike Setup:   Santana Rio tandem, Look KG, Cannondale R400

Submitted by Tim T a Downhiller from New Orleans LA

Date Reviewed: January 19, 2003

Strengths:    Looks good stronger than others /aluminum extrusions vs. bars.Bike lock.

Weaknesses:    The clips are a poor fit on a Saturn.The dealership knew NOTHING to help me get the rack on.

Bottom Line:
I bought the rack from my local Saturn dealer. I own a SW-2 wagon.The first set of clips that were sold to me fit a sedan had to go back to the dealer got the right clips(??)Those clips had a VERY poor fit the instructions were poorly written.The best that I could figure was that it clipped on to the plastic rain gutter when I went back to the dealer for some help they did not have a clue the lead tech tightened the bars down and cracked the rain gutter.(!!!!!)So I complained, got a blank look and deaf ear.Took the rack off the car and went to my LBS. Looked at the Saris catolog and web site still no help.Now my LBS sells Yakima racks got to looking at the Yakima clips with a couple of finder washers and Yakiam part number Q71 I was able to bolt the rack on to the metal part of the roof under the plastic rain gutter. Talked to the head guy at the dealership they fixxed the rain gutter.(Took a week)But I'm stuck with the clips.The rack works well and holds the Tandem and trail-a-bike nicely.Which is why I bought it. So if you have a Saturn get the Yakima clips and some fender washers and have at it.Just cause the clips were so poor I'm giving it 2 chilis I would not have the rack on the car right now if I didn't figure out those clips would work.

Purchased At:   Saturn car dealership

Bike Setup:   BMX XC Road Track tandem and a tandem trail-a-bike

Submitted by Phil a Cross Country Rider from Michigan

Date Reviewed: November 21, 2002

Strengths:    Ease of installation, Looks Great!!! Very Simple Design, Effective Mounts

Bottom Line:
The Bottom line on this rack is that it is the best rack available on the market. It is the best looking that i have seen on any vehicle and i am comparing it to Yakima and Thule. They have round bars that you have to attach all the accessories to whereas the Saris,....when everything is attached it is all one unit, because the mounts slide into grooves on the load bars.

I have used this in travels around the Usa since we move every three months and it is very sturdy and dependable. I have a 98 VW jetta and when we travel I have a piggypack (which is THE BEST CARGO BAG on the market) in between the bikes to carry other items and have loaded the load bars with ALOT of weight and they are still going STRONG.. I would recommend this unit to everyone I talk to simply because IT IS THE BEST.

Bike Setup:   Giant Rainier, Schwinng Messa

Roof Rack Ranger App - Prevents driving into garage with bike / gear

Hi All, My brother and I co-developed and just released an iPhone app called [URL="http://roofrackranger.com/"]Roof Rack Ranger[/URL]. It is an advance warning app to prevent you from driving your bike, kayak, Rocket box, canoe, etc, into your garage. After driving one of my bikes into a car por ... Read More »

Best Roof Rack Option for a 2006 Audi A4 (B7)

Just switched over to sedan from SUV and am looking at rook rack options for hauling my burly bikes around. I have the B7 body style Audi A4 3.2. I have traditionally been after hitch style racks so this is unchartered and seemingly very expensive territory. I wanted to see what Audi owners have ... Read More »

Saris #24 clips needed for roof rack

I'm looking for (4) #24 clips for my Saris roof rack. Willing to pay shipping and a fair price. Give me a call or text if you have any or know where I can find some. I need (4) #24 clips. Any help is appreciated! THANKS!!Read More »

Roof rack use on trailer hitch?

Does anyone know of a trailer hitch rack that would accept roof rack bike mounts? I have need to both, and would rather take the time to move than spend the $$ for both. Usually goes in spurts of weeks of one, then weeks of the other. Thanks all.Read More »

Thule Roof Rack (Criterium 598) Issue

Hi All; I bought just over two weeks ago a set of Thule 460R mounts, the ARB47 Aeroblade, the 3069 kit for my 2012 Mazda 3 Sport (5 Door Hatch), and two Thule Criterium 598's bike carriers. I've found something interesting with these mounts that I can't seem to find an issue posted by anyone w ... Read More »