Saris Cycle-On Bike Rack

3.33/5 (6 Reviews)

Carries 2 bikes out of the box. Carries up to 60-pound bikes. Never contacts the bike frame. Unique wheel trays accommodate road slicks right up to DH knobbies. Ratcheting arm secures bikes in one simple motion. Folds up when not in use. Carries 3 or 4 bikes with the optional add-on kits.

Submitted by Don Franklin

Date Reviewed: January 14, 2014

Strengths:    Holds bike very securely and very easy to use. I really like this rack.

Weaknesses:    After switching to a 29er I found that the arms were not long enough. I called Saris and they sent "improved" arms that would fit. They didn't fit either. Wheels are Stans with Specialized 2.3 Ground Controls. Old arms compared with new arms were the same size. Difference was a different bend.

Bottom Line:
Like I said, I really like the rack. Just need Saris to offer a arm that is 2" longer and I would give it 6 chilis!

Submitted by boursin a Downhiller from Bethesda, MD USA

Date Reviewed: October 22, 2010

Strengths:    Cool Design

Weaknesses:    Terrible quality. After 2 years my rack is so rusted and broken that I can no longer use it. The entire rack is rusted and no longer safely holds a bike. I am going to sell it and by a Thule...

Bottom Line:
TOTAL WASTE OF MONEY. The materials used are total trash and rust in no time. In two years the rack is completely USELESS!!! TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT!!! DO NOT BUY THIS RACK!!!

Favorite Trail:   the Shed

Purchased At:   Online

Similar Products Used:   Thule and Yakima

Bike Setup:   IF single speed, Santa Cruz Nomad, NS, Surly

Submitted by TriGuy a Weekend Warrior from Tampa, FL

Date Reviewed: March 21, 2009

Strengths:    Holds the bike by one wheel and with an arm over the other tire. Nothing touches the frame and holds bike securely, so 2 bikes side by side never touch. Folds up when not in use if you want to leave it on the vehicle. Comes in either 1.25 or 2 inch receiver sizes. I bought it in the smaller size & with a U-Haul adapter, I can use it on either vehicle.

Weaknesses:    Heavy, bulky. Somewhat pricey, especially at retail.

Bottom Line:
Love it.

Purchased At:   eBay

Submitted by Chris Henry a Weekend Warrior from Hagerstown, MD

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2008

Strengths:    Easy loading, keeps bike securely away from car

Weaknesses:    Poor quality powdercoating, corrosion of racheting mechanisms and hardware, rust on main carrier parts.

Bottom Line:
The Saris Cycle-On Pro is the model I bought, with 2 in receiver. The concept is excellent but the quality of the materials and finishing is below the standard that should be expected for the price, which is the top-of-the-market for a hitch loader. Every part of this rack has rusted, and now not quite three years from the time I bought this unit, I need to replace the racheting arms a second time because they have become so corroded by rust that they are unable to hold a bicycle securely. I had to replace the original hardware over a year ago because it became rusted frozen, and the powdercoating on the carrier main parts must have been applied without proper prepping or after having let the bare parts sit and rust, because it is flaking off in multiple critical locations revealing deep structural rust damage. For the cost of this unit, this level of poor quality is unacceptable. I have used Thule in the past without this kind of problem in material performance.

Similar Products Used:   Thule

Bike Setup:   Basic 2-bike carrier, no extension. Carry on 2 inch hitch receiver.

Submitted by BMJ a Weekend Warrior from Gloucester, MA, USA

Date Reviewed: February 15, 2008

Strengths:    Extremely easy to use! Quick on and off with muddy bikes. Folds up nice and tight.

Weaknesses:    I bike in New England all year round and rarely remove my racks. The ratchet mechanism on the upright and all the hardware has develped alot of rust. My ratchet mechanisms on the uprights look so corroded after two years that I'm not sure if I trust it to hold my bike on any longer. This also happened with my Saris roof rack system as well. I think at $300 plus dollars Saris should use more stanless hardware and power coat all the parts.

Bottom Line:
Luckily my buddy wrapped his around a tree backing up (ouch!) I was able to use his ratchet uprights which were in better condition to rebuild mine. I'm waiting from Saris to see if these can be bought separately for future rebuilds.

I'd recommend this product to any of my friends as long as they get into the habit of removing and storing them in a dry place when not in use. Looks like I'll have to be doing the same when possible.

I give it 4 chilis for the quality of the design and average price in the market. I have to give it only 3 overall due to the weathering issue.

Purchased At:   Western Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Saris roof rack system.

Submitted by Rackhead a Weekend Warrior from Fairfield, Iowa, USA

Date Reviewed: October 8, 2007

Strengths:    Strong, Stable and very quick to load. It takes approximately 15 seconds to load a bike on this rack. The hitch insertion has two holes to accomodate different size vehicles and needs. Very nice lookin' according to the wife.

Weaknesses:    Perhaps weight, but it weighs no more than most in its class - 45 Lbs +-. When the rack is folded up, it balances the weight and makes it easy to carry to the vehicle. The ability to stagger the bikes is less flexible than the Raxter or Access Versus, but this rack is the fastest and simplest to load.

Bottom Line:
We looked at the Raxter as it gets great reviews and is lighter for the wife, but ultimately decided on the heavier CycleOn rack for its ease of loading.

Favorite Trail:   Sugar Bottom Iowa City, Peaks Trail Frisco CO