Saris Bones Bike Rack

3.87/5 (133 Reviews)

Saris BonesTrunk/Rear Mount Bike Racks is an easy wayToTransport your bike with your car. Comes assembled Includes bike hold-down straps and anti-sway straps AdjustsTo fit most vehicles Fits 2 bikes

Submitted by LannaRider

Date Reviewed: December 29, 2012

Strengths:    Lightweight, easy to install and set up.

Weaknesses:    Under-engineered, razor thin margins of safety.

Bottom Line:
I got this rack for my SUV after reading these reviews. I wasn't overly concerned about the paint issues because my SUV is 12 years old and already has lots of scratches. The rack had performed well over the last 3 months or so but yesterday when loaded with 3 bikes, I hit a dip in the road and one of the top straps that attach the rack to the car snapped. Luckily I was going slowly and a near disaster turned out to be only an inconvenience. After unloading the bikes, tying a knot in the strap and then reloading, I backed up the system with a rope from my roof top luggage carrier so it wasn't really a problem but the situation should have never occurred in the first place. I certainly can not recommend this product until Saris beefs up the straps, especially the top ones.

Submitted by born2fly75 a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: May 20, 2012

Strengths:    Good price and easy to assemble / load bikes. Seems to be sturdy at all speeds although the bike does move around some.

Weaknesses:    Unfortunately, I must agree that this product marred/scratched the clear coat on my trunk after only about 10 uses. That's a major design flaw and unacceptable.

Bottom Line:
I would not buy this product again due to the damage it caused to the paint on my car.

Submitted by SanDiegoDirt a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: May 5, 2012

Strengths:    Very easy to set up.
Holds the bike securely.
Saris customer service is excellent.

Weaknesses:    None. Has not failed me in any way.

Bottom Line:
I drive a Ford Mustang with a spoiler, so my options for a trunk mount rack were pretty limited. I have made numerous trips between San Diego and Las Vegas (some with extremely high winds) and a 2400mi trip to Texas and back with absolutely no issues. So far no problems with the plastic screws that came with the rack. The key I think is to realize that they are not the primary way the legs secure to the center tube - the grooves do almost all of that work. just tighten them down enough so the legs don't slide. As for the feet marring the surface of the car, just wipe them and the contact areas clean before putting the rack on. Three years of heavy use has shown me the quality of this product. Highly recommended.

Purchased At:   Local Trek store

Submitted by pitbull30 a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: May 1, 2012

Strengths:    Easy to setup
Easy to figure out
Great Bike Support

Weaknesses:    None so far, but I am skeptical of some of those plastic twist screws

Bottom Line:
I give 5 chilis based off of the fact I got this from a local seller used for 60 bucks. I never owned a bike rack, but this one took me about 10 minutes to set up my first time. After I took it out/tested it the first time to get my bike somewhere I had it setup in 2-3 minutes after for the return ride home.

Purchased At:   Local Used

Bike Setup:   29" Trek

Submitted by Misssha a Weekend Warrior from Detriot, MI, USA

Date Reviewed: July 25, 2011

Strengths:    Loved, loved, loved my Saris Bones 3. I traveled from Detroit, MI to New York and 2 months later did Detroit to Las Vegas to California and back with no problems at all. I will be buying another one soon.

Weaknesses:    The only drawback is the nylon straps that proved to be quite easy for some idiot to cut and steal the rack

Bottom Line:
I will always have a Saris Bones but will put it in the trunk when not in use.

Favorite Trail:   Clinton River Trail

Purchased At:   Online Vendor

Bike Setup:   Hybrid, road/mountain bike

Submitted by therblig a Weekend Warrior from jersey city, nj

Date Reviewed: July 12, 2011

Strengths:    strong, lightweight, stays put

Weaknesses:    none really

Bottom Line:
worked great on my saturn wagon and didn't skip a beat when moved to a malibu. straps are well marked and easy to cinch. when it's attached and i grab it, the whole car rocks. this baby doesn't move.

Favorite Trail:   D&R Canal

Purchased At:   performancebike.com

Similar Products Used:   cheap big box rack

Bike Setup:   sette reken hardtail, trek 820, giant yukon - holds all three no problem

Submitted by Shane a Weekend Warrior from Denver, CO, USA

Date Reviewed: July 5, 2011

Strengths:    This is the only trunk rack out of a half dozen I tried that fit my 2006 Honda Civic. It is solidly built even give the only two design flaws I can see (easily overcome), when installed properly you might think it was an included accessory with the car itself. My bike does not move when it's on this rack, I've taken it over 1000 miles on highways as well as rutted roads with a single bike or two and it's performed fine. For what it's worth, it hasn't scratched MY paint.

Weaknesses:    The plastic screws, of course. Out of the box, one of my screws was stripped, and the replacement stripped immediately as well. I think I'll take the advice of a previous reviewer and just replace with metal lugs the outer screws which never really need adjusting once set to fit your car unless you REALLY need to fold it up completely. Even with a stripped screw, however, if you tension the straps correctly, this thing is mega solid - the arms lock onto the grooved shaft and the feet are solid against your car.

Bottom Line:
If you are an avid sportsman, a roof rack might be better; if you have an SUV or a truck with a tow ball socket, that could also be better... but if you're on a budget, doing only bikes, and want something light, solid, and absolutely functional - this is definitely a rack I would recommend.

Favorite Trail:   Custis

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Half dozen various Thule, Yakima, Bell trunk racks

Bike Setup:   GT Transeo Hybrid

Submitted by RDTigger a Weekend Warrior from PI, SC

Date Reviewed: May 18, 2011

Strengths:    Fully adjustable to fit all types of vehicles. I have a sedan and can easily carry my 29er and a 26er MTB. I have the Bones3 for added space. The bike latches in fairly well and the straps are great to tie down wheels and such. I also have a few small bungees to hold moving components in place. Light and versatile enough for the smallest of cars.

Weaknesses:    Not as permanent as a hitch, but not all vehicles have one so this makes the Saris versatile enough for the smallest of cars. Wish the foot holds had better cushioning to protect a paint job but no marks as of yet.

Bottom Line:
Great piece of equipment built from rugged plastics and just enough aluminum. Folds down for storage and extremely light considering you can carry up to 2/3 bikes at one time. They don't come any more versatile for the family with different types of vehicles with the turn of a few screws.

I would suggest this to anyone who does not have a trailer hitch.

Favorite Trail:   Jackson Bluff

Purchased At:   Used

Bike Setup:   29er

Submitted by piperdardo a Weekend Warrior from La Floresta, Canelones, Uruguay

Date Reviewed: March 4, 2011

Strengths:    Easy to setup, excellent construction. Very easy to mount.

Weaknesses:    Metal clams do not have at least a thin rubber protection to avoid scratching the edges of your trunk.

Bottom Line:
Excellent product. Exactly what I needed to carrry my bikes in a secure and efficient manner with my Peugeot 206.
I cannot think of ANY car or SUV where this rack would not work...Overall? Excellent!

Favorite Trail:   Sierra de las Animas

Purchased At:   Trek Uruguay

Bike Setup:   GT Avalanche 1.0 (2011)

Submitted by Kase a Weekend Warrior from Timpson, Texas USA

Date Reviewed: February 26, 2011

Strengths:    Good price, stable

Weaknesses:    not idiot-proof

Bottom Line:
I'm happy with my Bones 3. There you go. It only took about ten minutes total to set up the first time right out of the box. Setup was easy and the rack functioned well. I've had my bike on it at 70 mph on the highway with 25 mph gusting crosswinds and the bike never so much was twitched. This is a good, solid rack and easy to use provided you take time to actually read the instructions and don't go all Hulk Smash on the tightening screws. Also, I can't see how this would hurt a car if employed properly. I have it on a Toyota Yaris hatchback and it works wonderfully.

The few reviews I've read here lead me to believe that people screw this rack up because they either don't read the instructions, get stupid over-tightening things or plain old don't use the rack properly. I love mine and plan on using it for as long as it holds out.

Favorite Trail:   local roads

Purchased At:   kjacksonemti@gmail.c

Similar Products Used:   cheap hitch rack from WalMart

Bike Setup:   Specialized P1 All Mountain

Submitted by Scott a Cross Country Rider from Chicago, IL

Date Reviewed: October 26, 2010

Strengths:    Securely holds bikes, very easy to adjust and install the bikes, so far it has lasted me three years (and probably about 5000 miles of driving - with much interstate driving) without showing hardly any wear, very easy to install the rack onto the car.

Weaknesses:    Plastic screws

Bottom Line:
I do not know what the immediate reviewer is complaining about. This bike rack rocks. I've used the Bones 3 about three years now and the only problem I've had was one of the plastic screws stripped. I called the customer service department and they sent me out numerous replacements screws and have not had a problem since. I can install this rack onto my car and have two bikes placed and secured on the rack within 10 minutes. My car has not been scratched and my plastic bumpers are not damaged in any way. The straps that secure the bikes to the rack keep the bikes firmly secured and have not scratched the bikes whatsoever. What more do you want from straps. I am positive this rack with last me years to come with flawless operation.

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Yakima, Thule

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Scalpel

Submitted by jah1545 a Cross Country Rider from Fredericksburg, Va

Date Reviewed: October 22, 2010

Strengths:    Strengths? You're kidding right!

Weaknesses:    Pretty much everything about this POS sucks.

Bottom Line:
Saris employees must be up here posting the good reviews. That, or people who bought this POS and want to feel good about it and convince themselves it is nice.

Let me say this right off, there are much better racks for less money! Don't get caught up in the looks, this rack is a POS!!! I avoid all Saris products now.

I bought this thing at Performance without any recommendations or any research. Won't do that again! Adjusting this thing to get it on the vehicle is not a quick or easy process. The footpads will damage your paint and the bumper if used for any period of time. It is not designed for cars with plastic bumpers, which includes almost all of todays vehicles. The thumbscrews that tighten the legs/arms are extremely cheap plastic and can EASILY be stripped out on the first try. The straps that attach to the seat tube and top tube feel cheap and the buckles are also very cheap plastic. The arms wobble even after being tightened with the ridiculous plastic screws. There is no way this POS would last, it is cheaply made and poorly designed. I felt like I had been ripped off as soon as I attached it to my vehicle. Thankfully, Performance refunded my money with no hassle at all. Seriously, save your money, there are much better racks out there. This POS is all looks and no substance.

Favorite Trail:   The Quarry

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Thule, Yakima Quickback (Outstanding Rack!)

Bike Setup:   IRO Singlespeed, GT Marathon 9r, Cannondale Caffeine 2 9r

Submitted by dsw1204 a Weekend Warrior from Fairfield, OH USA

Date Reviewed: September 7, 2010

Strengths:    Sway control for all 3 bikes, very flexible design...can hold many different types of bikes, awesome to see on back of car, holds bikes solidly on rack. Customer service is top notch.

Weaknesses:    Tightening screws seem to strip easily, but has only happened on the inner arms of the rack which is less vital than if were on either of the outer arms. I've had to replace them twice, but the customer service dept. was very helpful in getting me the replacement screws. New ones are supposed to be more durable...we'll see later.

Bottom Line:
This is one excellent bike rack. I've only had two bikes at the most on this rack(it's a Bones 3), but it has held them very solidly with no movement or swaying whatsoever, even on the highway going 300 miles to Chicago. It is easy to install and easy to take off, especially once you've done is a couple of times. People who have had problems with this rack have probably not followed directions properly. Do follow the directions and this bike rack will not let you down.

Favorite Trail:   Loveland Bike Trail

Purchased At:   Montgomery Cyclery

Bike Setup:   Flat bar road bike

Submitted by Calgal a Cross Country Rider from Calgary

Date Reviewed: August 22, 2010

Strengths:    Bones 2 is an excellent rack and performs well. Bikes do not move around on the rack in traffic. Highway travel is great also. Folds up nicely and stores well when not in use.

Weaknesses:    Have to take it on and off the car so it isn't ripped of by someone who won't pay for their own rack! Not a big deal, it's super easy to use and only takes a few minutes to re install. It was a bit expensive.

Bottom Line:
When mounted properly according to the instructions, you can grab the rack and shake your whole car. Very solid and holds my two 30lb moutain bikes nicely. I am very particular about the finish on my car paint, no scratches or wear marks if you protect the foot pads with some tire tube scraps. I will be getting some 3M paint film soon to be permanent and much more convenient.
Very easy to set this rack up on your car, there should be no difficulties whatsoever for anyone who has a bit of mechanical abilities! Anything like this requires attention to detail.....do that and you will have absolutely no problems and a great bike rack at a fraction of the cost of any other solutions. If you take necessary measures to protect your bikes when hauling them, you should have no damages to bikes or car!

Favorite Trail:   anywhere