Saris Bones RS 3 Bike Bike Rack

4.13/5 (8 Reviews)

The Saris Bones RS carries 3 bikes safely and secure. The Ratcheting system will lock onto the car as compared to most Trunk racks that don't. Walk away from your car without the fear of missing it later. Rubber coated clips will not mar the bike's fin

Submitted by Tpavur a All Mountain Rider from Puyallup, WA, USA

Date Reviewed: March 30, 2012

Strengths:    Easy install, strong build, rack very secure and stable, bikes very secure and stable

Weaknesses:    Maybe the locks but if someone is willing to cut through the thick plastic mechanism; they'd probably find a way to get through a metal one. Keep in mind the actual tumbler of the lock is metal, it's the mechanism used to secure it that is 1/4" thick plastic

Bottom Line:
Amazing!!! After spending money on a King Joe Pro the first time I mounted it it damaged my trunk (dents) I immediately returned it and decided to go with the Bones RS, without a doubt this is the best trunk rack you will find.... I now drive with my mind at ease knowing my bike are not going anywhere. I also ride more often because of the ease of installation.

I asked the user what failed on his and I'm waiting on a response, I also asked saris if they have had any fail and they are not aware of any major failures resulting in bodily injury or property damage, although they have had several cases where they had to send out replacement parts not related to the effectiveness of securing the rack and bike.

Favorite Trail:   Skoocum Flats

Purchased At:   Amazon

Similar Products Used:   Yakima Kingjoe Pro 3, Yakima Kingjoe 2

Bike Setup:   Specialized Enduro Expert

Submitted by neh1969 a Weekend Warrior from Mpls., MN USA

Date Reviewed: September 3, 2011

Strengths:    Rack failed while on the freeway and we could have seriously injured ourselves or someone else. One of the bikes was damaged, our Honda Element was damaged, the bike rack was broken (we returned it).

Bottom Line:
Getting a car hitch type bike rack next time.

Purchased At:   Calhoun Cycle

Submitted by damonteng a Weekend Warrior from Singapore

Date Reviewed: February 13, 2011

Strengths:    Once you get the hang of fixing it up. 5mins is all it takes to set it up.
Trunk is still able to open with bike rack strapped on.
Single person operation is possible because only 2 straps are needed.
Mechanical strap fasteners secure the straps better than conventional clips.
Able to mount rack even if trunk has spoiler.
Rubber straps are much tougher than nylon straps.

Weaknesses:    Metal clips may require additional DIY padding to prevent car paint scratching.
Cuttings on provided keys look too simple and generic.

Bottom Line:
Price was the first of the many concerns. But once you have touched, felt and tested the other products on your vehicle, you would understand why the additional dollars. Roof racks are cooler looking and more makes a SUV sportier looking but because i'm driving a sedan car, having a roof rack on all the time doesn't compliment the looks of a sedan. Plus, after a long trailing session, mounting the bike on top of the vehicle would really require a lot of energy.

Similar Products Used:   Saris Bones 3-bikes

Bike Setup:   Kona Dirt jumper and BMX flatlander (Morales).

Submitted by Cat-man-do a Cross Country Rider from Columbia, Md. USA

Date Reviewed: June 10, 2009

Strengths:    Absolutely simple to put on or take off of the car. No buckles to mess with. Unit has a key locking ratcheting mechanism for added security. Loading bars adjust to fit multiple angles without the use of any external tools. Looks really good on the car.

Weaknesses:    The locking mechanism looks to be made of plastic. Adjusting the loading bars is not as easy as it should be. Bike Stabilizers are not usable on all frames.

Bottom Line:
A little more money than what I wanted to spend but this is so much better than some of the cheaper systems out there. Not only does it look great on my car ( VW Passat wagon )but the loading bars can be set to fold parallel with the back of the car to give it a really clean look when not in use. Of course the rack itself is super easy to put on and take off in less than a couple minutes. To attach you simply pull out the flat rubberized (metal) straps to a length you think will reach the top of your trunk/hatch. You then carefully position the bottom of the rack (which has two small metal hooks ) under the hatch door. There are 4 x 3" diameter rubberized pads that self-adjust to support the load of the rack as it comes in contact with the back of the car hatch. Then all you do is use the ratcheting mechanism on the straps to tighten them down. Then you lock the ratchets with the key and you're done. The locks are only made of plastic so they are only useful in preventing casual theft. Even if someone did break the locks they would still have a problem getting the hooks out from under the rear hatch. The bikes are held on by two notched hard-plastic straps ( for each bike..up to three ) that holds the top tube down to the rack. There is also a like stabilizer strap designed to attach to the seat tube to prevent sway. On my bike I really couldn't use the stabilizer because of the rear shock but I really doubt that it really stops that much sway anyway. I just used bungee cords to stabilize the wheels which is faster and works fine. My bike has a sloping top tube so if you adjust the loading bars completely parallel, the bike looks to sit cock-eyed on the rack. Not a big thing as the bike is firmly locked down but I prefer the bike to sit more uniform. To make it look more uniform I simply adjust one of the loading bars a little lower than the other and then the bike sits more nicely. Of course if you're carrying more than one bike than I suppose none of that matters. Now when I want to wash the car (drive thru )It takes less than a minute to remove the rack. I do have reservations about just how much weight is being put on the back on the car hatch via the contact pads but since I'm only carrying one bike I suppose I'll be fine. Oh, one last important note: With the rack on my rear hatch I can open my hatch without any problems. Just be careful to watch the hatch so it doesn't slam down on your head as the rack does add some weight to the hatch door ( mine lifts up ). In a nut shell, If money is no object and you want a rear mounted rack for your mini-van or wagon that is good looking and easy to attach or take off than this is the system you want.

Favorite Trail:   at Patapsco

Similar Products Used:   Cheap K-Mart type rear trunk rack. Thule roof racks

Bike Setup:   Kona Kiapu Deluxe FS

Submitted by kclow a Weekend Warrior from Bangkok, Thailand

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2008

Strengths:    Very easy and quick to install on car. Took me at most 1-2 minutes.
Very stable when fully loaded with 3 MTBs, at least 40kg in total weight. I drove almost 400km at speeds of 110-120km/h with no problems whatsoever.
More secure than any rear mount bike rackes I have ever used.

Weaknesses:    Plastic locks not very confidence inspiring.
Stickers peeling off. Not that I mind much as they only serve to advertise for the product.
Expensive compared to other rear mounted products, but certainly good value for its strengths.

Bottom Line:
I was initially looking for either the Saris Bones 3, or a roof mounted solution. However the LBS I went to had both the normal bones and the RS. After I tried to install the RS on my car, I was sold immediatedly! Say goodbye to the ugly and often less effective straps in conventional designs. You will not regret the decision!

Similar Products Used:   Trek

Submitted by Redball409 a Weekend Warrior from Stafford, Va. USA

Date Reviewed: July 17, 2008

Strengths:    I bought this rack to fit one of three vehicles. One sedan, one hatchback, and 1 SUV. With a little adjustment, this rack fits all of them. Sturdy and stable. Folds up nicely.

Weaknesses:    Product takes a few minutes to understand how strap and lock mechanisms work but the instructions are valuable and once read, set up is no problem. Plastic locks seem cheap. Bottom of rack has hooks to fit under the trunk lid. These appear to be susceptable to marring vehicle if not fitted properly when installing the rack.

Bottom Line:
Good rack. A little expensive and a little heavy but this rack looks like it will last. Looking forward to using it for many years.

Purchased At:   Revolutions - Staffo

Similar Products Used:   Class III hitch racks, inexpensive trunk racks.

Bike Setup:   MTB and Road.

Submitted by Jeff from Poway, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2008

Strengths:    Quick and easy to install
Loading bikes just as easy
well built (better be since it has a lifetime warranty which I am not afraid to use)

Weaknesses:    Stickers where coming off when I unpacked it. Curling up like tacos.
The locking mechanism is made of plastic. It would take about 5 seconds to cut through it with a hack saw. Should have been made of metal, ideally stainless steel.

Bottom Line:
The bones RS rack is great, much better then the older Bones racks in terms of installing on the car but the same as the older racks when attaching bikes. I just wish they would have made the locks out of metal so that it would take the perp at least a minute to hack through them instead of 10 seconds.
Also, Although this is a nit-picky thing, I wish they would have used a better adhesive on the labels so they wouldn't peel off. At this price stickers should not be peeling off. Also, after contacting them for replacement stickers, they said they don't have any and we should check back later (they should at least be able to contact me when they are available).

I give it a 4 chili's on the value rating because of the cheap lock which was a selling point for me. I like the idea of leaving the rack on my car and not having to worry about someone stealing it. But with the plastic lock it would be simple to steal, so I still have to remove it and put it in my trunk during my rides.

I gave it a 4 chili's overall due to weak customer service and cheaping out on stickers.

But in terms of meeting its minimum goal as a bike rack it has exceeded my expectations, simply due to the ease of installation and rigidity once installed.

Submitted by Jack a Weekend Warrior from Santa Rosa CA USA

Date Reviewed: March 28, 2008

Strengths:    Very sturdy and beautifully constructed. Attaches solidly to the vehicle. No flimsy straps. It's a BETTER alternative to permanently mounted roof racks. Looks great too!

Weaknesses:    Heavier than I expected.

Bottom Line:
I have a Honda Civic and wanted a better solution to carrying my bikes. I have been using the Yakima Super Joe 3 and although it is well made I always worried about not if, but when, my bikes would pop off and go under the wheels of the car behind me. The straps always made it a flexy and temporary solution.

I took a chance and ordered the Saris Bones RS 3 bike trunk mounted carrier. It's not cheap at $260 but when mounted it becomes one with the vehicle. It feels as solid as a permanently mounted roof rack but infinitely more convenient. It is very well made... constructed of steel and thermoplastic. It looks good and even key locks to the car so you don't need to always pop it on and off. It is stiff and doesn't flex so much as a millimeter. The arms are stowable when not in use and there are anti-swing attachments for the bikes. Best of all... NO STRAPS! Just a pair of ratcheted rubber coated steel bands that securely grip the car for a third the cost of a roof system. I give it the highest rating.

Favorite Trail:   Annadel State Park