Rocky Mounts TieRod Bike Rack

The Rocky Mounts Tierod is the 'go-to' rack for anyone owning an SUV with existing crossbars, fitting directly onto 100% of any factory installed crossbars - guaranteed.

Submitted by rsb201

Date Reviewed: December 3, 2012

Strengths:    Easy installation on any factory crossbars, sturdy and sleek design

Weaknesses:    The tray could stand to be an inch or two longer

Bottom Line:
I struggled finding a roof rack that would fit my Nissan Xterra factory crossbars. Most manufacturers required you to buy extra adaptors to make them fit. I was able to mount this directly to the factory roof rack which kept it lower than if I would had to use adaptors. Great product

Submitted by sixtyone9

Date Reviewed: May 26, 2012

Strengths:    Sleek design and very sturdy. Very easy to setup, skewer is very easy to use. Comes with multiple colors

Weaknesses:    It requires two lock cores, one to lock the rack to your base and one to lock your bike to the rack. Not a big deal, but other companies manage to design racks only requiring one lock.

Bottom Line:
I recently purchased and returned Yakima's Forklift after fitting it on a Whispbar roof rack. The bottom line is, the TieRod mounts better than Yakima's Forklift providing easy setup and a low profile design. I could not ask for more from this set up as it complements the Whispbar.

Submitted by mayonays a All Mountain Rider from Morton, IL, USA

Date Reviewed: February 21, 2012

Strengths:    Inexpensive compared to other similar products. Quick and easy installation/removal.

Weaknesses:    None that I've noticed so far. I've been using the product for about 18 months now, with two different bikes.

Bottom Line:
Fits (most) factory cross-bars, including the "aero" bars on my 2008 Subaru Forester. I originally had a bike with the 9mm QR dropouts, which this is set up for and it worked perfectly. I needed an adaptor to fit my new bike that has a 15mm QR axle, and one is also available for 20MM axles as well.

Depending on the vehicle and wheelbase of the bike, your trunk may hit the rear wheel while the bike is on the rack. With my current setup there is no issue, but on my friend's Outback he isn't able to move his crossbars up far enough on the rails, which causes the contact. It's a minor issue, but just thought I'd mention it.

Both tires I've used fit in the rail fine, Bontrager XR4 2.35" and Maxxis High Roller 2.35" tires. I would caution anyone with wider tires, as there may be an issue with it not sitting in the rail properly.

Purchased At:   bikesonline.com