Rocky Mounts Noose SL Bike Rack

4.32/5 (19 Reviews)

• Fits 98% of factory bars right out of the box*
  • Includes all mounting hardware, no extra SKU’s and complicated fits
  • Rock solid fork mount with new cast metal head
  • Lockable quick release (lock cores sold separately)
  • All stainless steel hardware
  • Works with most disc brakes, if not, see Disc Brake Adapter
  • Simple Assembly & Installation
  • Available in Black, Silver, Red, Yellow, Green, Blue, Gold & Orange
  • Fits a skinny road tire and up to a 2.3" mountain tire
  • (SLX version is same price but with longer, wider tray for FR/DH rigs)

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Elwood64 a Weekend Warrior from Cleburne

Date Reviewed: April 23, 2011

Strengths:    Easily mounted, simple, keeps idiots away from my bike, great customer service

Bottom Line:
    Attaches easily to existing luggage rack. On top of the car keeps idiots away from my bike. Be smart enough to be careful at drive thru's. Customer service was great. Wore out the threads and rocky mounts replaced it free.

Favorite Trail:   Solavaca, dinosaur valley, big cedar

Purchased At:   Colorado Cyclist

Similar Products Used:   Hitch mounts, tire mounts

Bike Setup:   Orbea Onix, yeti 575, Kona Unit

Submitted by davez26 a Cross Country Rider from Colorado Springs, CO USA

Date Reviewed: July 3, 2009

Strengths:    Super easy to install. Super Easy to Use! A very minimal bike rack, that does the job. Direct mount to factory cross bars, no need to 'adapt' to install some other bike rack. Fork mount can be locked with optional lock cores. Bike is very solidly attached.

Weaknesses:    No way to lock the rack to the crossbars, held on with funky bolts. Then again, so are the crossbars, so I guess this doesn't really count. If you see someone disasembling my rack with my bike on it, please punch them!

Bottom Line:
    I like it. Easy to install, not a jungle gym of adaptors and bars hanging out from the side of the car like the other racks I see. The rack just kind of blends in, due to the low profile. Affordable. Available in a bunch of colors if you are into that kind of thing.
    Note: Some people don't like the Rocky mounts on the Outbacks, because they say 'the bikes lean to much'. Sure the bike has a slight outward lean, like maybe 5*. If you look for it you can see the lean, but it's not an issue unless you want it to be.

Favorite Trail:   Cheyenne or Templeton -Palmer Park

Purchased At:   Pro Cycling

Similar Products Used:   Factory rack, some trunk racks, and I had a home made one in my SUV

Bike Setup:   2004 Trek Fuel 70, Tora SoloAir Front, RP23 Rear, Smoke/Dart tires. Car setup - 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i

Submitted by nedtropy a Weekend Warrior from Spokane, WA USA

Date Reviewed: May 26, 2009

Strengths:    Easily attached to most factory crossbars. No need to buy a separate after market rack.

Weaknesses:    ***Buyers Beware!!! Faulty quick release mechanisms. My quick release failed and my bike fell from my car and put a dent in the roof. Rocky Mounts was unwilling to help me out other than telling me to apply lube to the mechanism. Apparently they know this happens but they don't want to overwhelm us by putting this simple care tip in the care and instructions manual. Hmmmm....wish I'd known that.

Bottom Line:
    If I were to do it again I would invest a little more money in a rack that will keep your bike on your car. Fortunately I was in a parking lot coming to a stop when it happened and not going 60 mph down a highway with people behind me.
    I had Yakima racks for many years with never a problem.

Bike Setup:   Rocky Mountain Slayer 30.
    On my Subaru Outback with factory racks, also have the disc brake adapters for the Noose SL.

Submitted by Thad a Cross Country Rider from Philadelphia

Date Reviewed: May 28, 2008

Strengths:    Ease of use, customer service, looks.

Weaknesses:    I messed up the one bolt installing it, and they immediatley sent me a new one. It was my fault, so none.

Bottom Line:
    The racks are great. I am using them on a subaru wagon. Bolted right on, cheaper then the competitors, with no additional adapters. The customer service is awesome.

Favorite Trail:   Wissahickon

Purchased At:   Rockymounts.com

Similar Products Used:   Thule

Bike Setup:   Orbea SS 29er

Submitted by Brett a Weekend Warrior from Tucson, AZ

Date Reviewed: April 15, 2008

Strengths:    awesome bang for the buck, solidly built, rainbow of colors to choose from, fits your car's stock roof rack, easy to install

Weaknesses:    skewers aren't as friendly to use as some Thule and Yak systems i've seen. 2.25" tire is the tray's absolute limit (i have to cram my 2.3s in with the rear wheel ratchet).

Bottom Line:
    this can't be beat for the price. fits your stock roof rack with ease and security. i've flogged this thing with my crazy driving and have yet to eject my bike onto the highway either. recommended for the budget concious rider.

Favorite Trail:   50 Year, Sweetwater, Reddington/Chiva Falls

Purchased At:   orsracksdirect.com

Similar Products Used:   my buddies' Thule and Yak racks

Bike Setup:   02 Giant NRS w/ Race Face cockpit/drivetrain, Mavic/DT Swiss/NoTubes wheels, Manitou Black

Submitted by dan b a Weekend Warrior from clinton, nj

Date Reviewed: December 9, 2007

Strengths:    looks good, holds bike solid, good paint and overall construction

Weaknesses:    a lil noisy but i guess all bike racks will be

Bottom Line:
    quality product. i got mine with the disc adaptor and the lock kit for less than $100 to my door. have used it for six months and has shown zero wear. still works like new. i bought this when i got my 2008 impreza cause subaru kept giving me racks but they wouldnt fit my FACTORY cross bars! anyways, i would have liked the all factory deal but this is the next best thing i guess. definately would reccomend this

Favorite Trail:   cr

Purchased At:   ors

Similar Products Used:   factory subaru that wouldnt fit on my subaru!!!

Bike Setup:   IH mav 5.0, marz xc600, e13 bash, titec hellbent, wellgo b25, some other stuff

Submitted by John Coleman a Weekend Warrior from Weatherford, TX, US

Date Reviewed: October 30, 2007

Strengths:    Inexpensive

Weaknesses:    I've owned two Noose SL racks for two months and the paint is already chipping from the rails and the ratcheting wheel straps have come off wheel driving my vehicle without bikes on the racks. Also my bikes have a large amount of lateral movement with these racks mounted on existing automotive luggage racks. I guess you get what you pay for.

Bottom Line:
    CHEAP PRODUCT... LESS THAN SATISFACTORY RESULTS.

Favorite Trail:   Local Area Rural Roads

Purchased At:   ORS Racks Direct

Similar Products Used:   Thule, Rolla

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Team Saeco Frame, Ultegra Groupo

Submitted by John a Cross Country Rider from NJ

Date Reviewed: March 30, 2007

Strengths:    Ease of use. AFFORDABLE. BEATS ANYTHING THULE OR YAKIMA CAN PUT OUT. DID I SAY AFFORDABLE??

Weaknesses:    ZIP

Bottom Line:
    Best rack on the planet. If you already have factory crossbars on your car this is all you need. Affordable, multiple colors, does the job perfectly. Had my racks for over 2 years now. Kept them on the car through brutal winters as well. Never a problem. No need for Thule or Yakima. This is what you get. Made in Colorado which is even better. Support the good ol' USA. Perfect product.

Favorite Trail:   Dirt

Purchased At:   JensonUSA

Similar Products Used:   Thule. Yakima.

Bike Setup:   Blur, all SRAM XO. Nuff' said.

Submitted by Geoff a Cross Country Rider from NJ

Date Reviewed: January 22, 2007

Strengths:    Everything that Thule offers but 1/2 the price.

Weaknesses:    Nothing.

Bottom Line:
    Where do I begin? For years I would have to "upgrade" my Thule rack to fit my car. If I bought a new car 9 out of 10 times I'd have to buy a new rack or attachment. A lot of times my Thule bike attachment would rust or something wouldnt come off and I'd end having to goto my LBS and get another one. Then I started reading about RockyMounts. Problem solved. The rack fits my cars factory installed crossbars perfectly. Never had a problem with either one of the two racks I bought. I've also used them on my wife's car now and then. Worked well. Unless you need a Thule or Yakima crossbars to attach a boat mount or anything else, this is the rack for you. Half the price and to make it even better you can pick the color you want. Also made out in Colorado which is nice to know its all made in the USA. I find it absolutely hilarious that most bike shops in my area do NOT carry Rocky Mounts either. They all want you to buy into Thule or Yakima which is a freakin' rip off. No thanks. Go through Jenson or any other online mail order, I saved sales tax and the shipping was free.

Favorite Trail:   All

Purchased At:   Jensonusa

Similar Products Used:   Thule

Bike Setup:   Blur

Submitted by Aaron Evans from Frisco, TX, USA

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2006

Strengths:    Much cheaper than its comparable yakima and thule counterpart. Easy to install. Comes in a lot of different colors.

Weaknesses:    Like other have said, the bike rack locks to the bike, but the rack doesnt have anything other than the "special" star shaped tool to keep it attached to your roof rack. Will require a different set of locks and keys than ur roof rack.

Bottom Line:
    I have the SLX rack and not this one because it has a little wider and longer tray for mountain bikes, but is the same product. This is an excellent rack for the price and it does what it is supposed to do. I've flown down the highway at 80mph and everything stays secured. For the amount you save, it is worth having a different set of keys. And you cant beat all the different colors available. If your concerned about the bike rack not securing to the roof rack, pay 10-30 and get a kryptonite cable and lock it (this will make it appear more secure anyway) which is what i have done when it sits outside anywhere.

Purchased At:   ORSdirect and bikesmart.com

Similar Products Used:   Cheap walmart quality trunk rack

Bike Setup:   Specialized rockhopper comp disc

Submitted by Slobany a Weekend Warrior from Washington, D.C.

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2006

Strengths:    Fair price, compatability, sturdiness.

Weaknesses:    The plastic parts on the front fork mount shaves off if you tighten too hard. Can't adjust sitting angle on curved factory crossbars.

Bottom Line:
    Less expensive than Thule/Yakima. Fits right out of the box. Don't need "fit kits", etc.

Purchased At:   rockymounts.com

Submitted by Corby Wilson from New Mexico

Date Reviewed: October 29, 2005

Strengths:    Solid construction, easy installation and price. They lock too.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
    I already have a roof rack that came with my vehicle. Why would I want to buy a rack to attach to my rack.

Fits most racks and bikes including bikes with disk brakes for 1/4th the price. No add-ons needed. If you don't fit into this category and need an add-on to make the rack or a bike fit, the kits are readily available and inexpensive

Thule and Yakima need to get with the program.

Purchased At:   bikesmart.com

Bike Setup:   Specialized Stumpjumper FSR120 disk

Submitted by Rob a Weekend Warrior from Somerset, NJ

Date Reviewed: September 23, 2005

Strengths:    good price, simple design, solid components.

Weaknesses:    rusting a bit around the fork clamp skewer and I had to grind the mounting bolts down about 1/2". If your stock rack is a lowrider the provided bolts may hit your roof. They must be replaced or ground down. I found the opposing bolts mounting method to be a little cumbersome especially if you're planning to take it on and off frequently. I like to throw it on a friend's car now and then and this rack is a PIA to quickly mount/unmount.

Bottom Line:
    Does what it does. No frills but good quality. I've looked at comparable products from Thule and Yakima, perhaps they pay a little more attention to fit and finish but there's absolutely no reason not to buy the Rocky Mounts product. If you want to use your stock rack consider this a high quality, inexpensive option.

Favorite Trail:   Diablo

Bike Setup:   car set up - '04 Pontiac Vibe w/stock roof rack. Not the greatest match for this product, but with a little ingenuity it works.

Submitted by Rob a Weekend Warrior from Somerset, NJ

Date Reviewed: September 23, 2005

Strengths:    good price, simple design, solid components.

Favorite Trail:   Diablo

Submitted by J.D. a Racer from Little Rock, AR

Date Reviewed: July 2, 2005

Strengths:    Easy to install. It took no more than 10 minutes.

Bottom Line:
    Excellent product at a good value. I have installed this product on two different vehicles and it fit both without any problems. I highly recommend it for vehicles with a factory roof rack.

Through axle fork on Rocky Mounts (Noose SL)???

I'm getting a Fox fork with the 15QR through axle. Any ideas how I can fit it on my Noose SL? I remember reading about a product that addresses this but can't remember the name.Read More »