Rhode Gear Cycle Shuttle Bike Rack

3.2/5 (10 Reviews)

Rhode Gear Cycle Shuttle

Submitted by Steve Nemeth a Cross Country Rider from Gilroy, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: March 29, 2007

Bottom Line:
I bought my rack in Tacoma, WA, in 1995 and it has worked well for me since. Not only was it great for local jaunts to Mt. Rainier and around the Sound, it served me well in moves from Tacoma to Pocatello, Id, to Southern California, to where I live now, Gilroy, CA. I initially had a Nissan Sentra but later had an older Buick Le Sabre. I've used it on retal cars and as long as there was a trunk (sedan), it worked fine. I've more than got my money out of it (and it still looks new).

Favorite Trail:   Used for excercise/transportation

Purchased At:   Tacoma, WA

Submitted by Osman from Atlanta, GA USA

Date Reviewed: February 15, 2002

Strengths:    Flexible bike mounting system, cam locking arms.

Weaknesses:    Cumbersome to use and set up. Foam padding instead of rubber is easily damaged.

Bottom Line:
This bike rack was decent. While the bike mounting system is very flexible, the rack is extremely cumbersome to use. The foam padding gets torn up easily by the bikes and isn't very gentle on the car's paint. It also compresses too much so you need a lot of force on the straps to tighten the rack down, which really puts a lot of pressure on the straps and vehicle's body panels.

The Saris Bones rack is going to be the replacement for my car. Mainly because the Rhode Gear doesn't fit on my current car (Toyota MR2), but on top of the that the Saris is a much nicer and sturdier mounting system.

Purchased At:   Local bike shop

Similar Products Used:   Saris Bones Rack (MUCH better)

Bike Setup:   Hardtail

Submitted by Brock a Weekend Warrior from Hamburg, PA

Date Reviewed: October 15, 2001

Strengths:    Easy to setup

Weaknesses:    Very poor construction

Bottom Line:
The first day I used the bike rack I got about 3 miles from my house, and when crossing an itersection(going only about 20 mph) I hit a small bump. I looked out my rear view mirror only to see the back of the bike rack lifting up. I stopped the car immediately, and checked what had happened. One of the bolts had broken and the other one bent. Part of the bike rack ended up riding on the trunk of the car, and in the little bit I had driven till I could pull over, had scratched quite a bit of the paint in several spots on my trunk. DO NOT BUY THIS BIKE RACK UNLESS YOU DO NOT CARE ABOUT YOUR PAINT JOB OR YOUR BIKES.

Purchased At:   Walmart

Submitted by shaun from cincinnati

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2000

Strengths:    durable, stable, cost effective, can hold up to three bikes

Weaknesses:    bars became loose after about 1 1/2 years, rubbed on the paint of trunk on edges

Bottom Line:
i put the rack on the trunk and left it there for extended periods of time with no problems. i always gave it an occasional tightening of the straps for safety and used bungees, but otherwise my bikes have been safe and secure. the bars the bikes are set on have just recently begun to loosen up a little, but i cant pull them out. the bikes tend to swing a little if not tethered to the lower portion of the rack. for the price, it has done well

Bike Setup:   road and mountain bikes

Submitted by Roger a Racer from Arden Hills,MN

Date Reviewed: August 7, 2000

Weaknesses:    see below

Bottom Line:
Picture this- You're riding with your buddy down the interstate, peacefully reflecting on a tough, tiring ride, when your buddy turns to you and yells "THERE GOES YOUR BIKE!!!" Peace turns to terror as you whirl around to see your bike bouncing and sliding down the highway, cars swerving in every direction trying to avoid it. After what seems like an eternity waiting for the car to stop, you burst out the door sprinting thru 3-lanes of 80 MPH traffic, like a mother trying to save her infant baby from danger. As you reach the scene and gently lift the twisted wreckage from the pavement, almost as if it somehow felt the pain it had just endured, you say to yourself "I AM GOING TO THROW THE DESIGNER OF THIS RACK OFF THE TRUNK OF A SPEEDING CAR AND SEE HOW HE LIKES IT!!!"-Wait,that's what I said. If this sounds disturbing, do not buy this rack.

Submitted by Calvin a Weekend Warrior from Baltimore, MD

Date Reviewed: March 20, 2000

Strengths:    The set-up and take down are very easy. Rides solid, with three bikes. The Price is excellent for the quality of the product!

Weaknesses:    The plastic clamps made me a little nervous at first, but I have had no problems thus far.

Bottom Line:
I bought it for a road trip, took it about 1800 miles in one week, and it was solid.

Favorite Trail:   Cades Cove, TN

Bike Setup:   Schwinn Mesa

Submitted by Dave a Weekend Warrior from L.A., CA

Date Reviewed: September 9, 1999

Bottom Line:
Please Note: My review below is for the SUPER Shuttle. I've asked them to remove it from here, but so far they haven't. Sorry for any confusion.

3 months

Submitted by Dave a Weekend Warrior from L.A., CA

Date Reviewed: September 7, 1999

Strengths:
Versatility
Ease of attachment
Bikes don't ride high

Weaknesses:
Rear Frame Attachment
Letter/Number System

Bottom Line:
I like the way it attaches to my car, and the bikes aren't 10 feet in the air like some others I've seen (rear view mirror vision is not obscured at all). Don't rely entirely on the letter/number system for attachment to your vehicle. Try a few different positions & you might get a better set-up.The rubber straps should not be used alone! Bikes'frames can pop out of the vertical portion of the rear frame attachment if I hit any kind of bump. I've tried numerous combinations of straps and bungee cords, all with the same result (any suggestions??).If you don't need the long poles for multiple bikes, it's easy to make an extra set of short poles for one bike. This makes it easier to stash in the trunk, too.

3 months

Submitted by jools a Weekend Warrior from london

Date Reviewed: August 8, 1999

Strengths:

Weaknesses:
it collapsed

Bottom Line:
It collapsed DO NOT BUY THIS I set it up carefully but it still fell off my car one star is generous

french alps

less than 1 month

various

santa cruz kona

Submitted by Adam a Cross-Country Rider from Fall River, MA

Date Reviewed: July 27, 1999

Strengths:
Price, easy to install, letter and numbering system, easy loosing clamps, straps are easy to tighten and loosen, great bike tie downs, metal is used where it needs to be used.

Weaknesses:
Bars that hold bikes are loose, but not an operational problem.

Bottom Line:
Excellent bike rack. Holds three, so far I've used one on it. After the first ride with it you stop looking in the rear view mirror as much. Easy to install, take off, and reinstall. Fits in my somewhat small trunk without folding it up. What I meant by metal is used where it needs to be used. is that metal is used on the posts and the clips, where it would benefit from having metal. It doesn't make a difference in the other areas. 4 stars because of the loose bike bars, which once again, do not affect the operation or safety of the rack.

Freetown State Forest

less than 1 month

Rigid frame 10-speed w/ shimano and grip shift.

Cycle World MTB Customer Apprecation Day Saturday November 17! Free Shuttle & BBQ!

Cycle World would like to thank all of our mountain bike customers and supporters. Please save the date of Saturday November 17. We will be doing 2 different rides but both will end up at Cycle World Chatsworth for an awesome BBQ. EVERYONE is invited and please bring all your Mountain Bike friends a ... Read More »