Rec-Rac Bike Rack Bike Rack

4.39/5 (18 Reviews)

The Rec-Rac consists of two, non marring aluminum clamps that you can position at any point along a pickup truck's bed rail to transport any style or size of bike; mountain, road or recumbent. Once the clamps are set, secure the bike via two soft rubber yokes and two support straps. Wheel removal is not necessary and there are no holes to drill.

NOTICE FROM THE MANUFACTURER:
"ALL STRAPS ARE FIRST QUALITY FROM THE MANUFACTURER AND HAVE BEEN UPGRADED WITH BETTER MATERIALS. ANY OLD, DEFECTIVE STRAPS WILL BE REPLACED AT NO CHARGE TO ORIGINAL PURCHASER"

Submitted by Kris Olasin a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: March 16, 2014

Strengths:    works as advertised; very secure; this is an "in the bed" rack so bike is not as vulnerable as with a trailer hitch mounted rack

Weaknesses:    uses o-ring as a rod stop which can be easily cut or lost. Replaced with a .375" "C" clip which is a much better stop and is very secure so it won't be inadvertently lost

Bottom Line:
Have been using my folding Rec-Rac for almost a year now and couldn't be happier at how they perform. Installation in my 2004 Silverado couldn't have been easier - just locate where they need to go on the bed rail and use the screw clamp to lock in place for a very secure fit. I leave mine mounted in the fold down position on the truck bed 24/7 so they're always ready when I am. To prevent theft, I ran a length of 1/2" ss tubing thru the screw clamp eye bolts. I put a 90 degree bend on one end and drilled hole for a lock on the other. A cable lock could also be run thru the eye bolts and secured for theft prevention. Now for the best part. When I'm ready to go riding, I simply fold up the Rec-Rac in to the horizontal position, pop the bike in the bed and lock it down with the tie down straps. This can be don in less than one minute. For added security, I installed a set of ss U-bolts to the inside of the front bed wall. The u-bolts are spaced slightly less than the width of my front tire. Additionally I added a tie down strap for my rear wheel. This set up is super secure. Your bike will remain in the position it was set on even the roughest roads you can find. This set up uses very little space in the truck bed so there is still lots of room for all your gear. With another set of Rec-Racs carry two bikes in the bed is a breeze. I highly recommend this product.

Favorite Trail:   Oak Mountain

Duration Product Used:   almost 1 year

Purchased At:   Rec-Rac

Similar Products Used:   hitch mounted bike rack

Bike Setup:   2007 Cannondale Prophet

Submitted by Donald

Date Reviewed: December 14, 2013

Strengths:    My boss has the Rec Rac on his truck, the older model that does not fold down. He loves it and I have used it. The straps seem to hold it OK, but it FEELS a bit flimsy, although it work OK.

Weaknesses:    The older model does not fold, sticks out and gets hit when loading materials into truck.

Bottom Line:
I have ordered the new model from Rec Rac this morning. It has many design upgrades including folding down when not in use. Appears to have beefed straps too. I post my review on it in a few weeks.

Submitted by mjh365

Date Reviewed: May 24, 2012

Strengths:    Easy to use. Keeps bike secure.

Bottom Line:
Rec-Rac has made transporting my Trek SuperFly a breeze. Just attach to Bed Rail, then the bike to the Rack. It's as simple as that. And the service was excellent. I ordered on Monday, and it was at my home on Wednesday. Great Product. Great service.

Submitted by Dirks a Weekend Warrior from scott city, Ks

Date Reviewed: August 6, 2011

Strengths:    Looks cool. Good Idea but needs more designing.

Weaknesses:    I bought it to take it on a trip but it started leaning right away. they do not hold the bikes up. then in about a week of use the straps are nearly broke.

Bottom Line:
needs more engineering

Similar Products Used:   homemade

Bike Setup:   bike fold rack plus add a bike seperaters

Submitted by mfoudy a Weekend Warrior from Carmel CA

Date Reviewed: April 27, 2011

Strengths:    Very well designed and made, sturdy, and incredibly easy to use.

Bottom Line:
Works perfectly with Tacoma short bed tie down tracks. Takes a few seconds to load or unload bike. Don't have to remove the front wheel and the units have eye-hook bolts that are used for a cable lock.

I think these are terrific pieces of engineering and production.

Favorite Trail:   Fort Ord

Purchased At:   Rec Rac

Similar Products Used:   various purchased and home build bike racks for my Tacoma short bed.

Bike Setup:   Specialized 29er

Submitted by Dale Van Doren a Weekend Warrior from Duluth, MN US

Date Reviewed: April 21, 2011

Strengths:    Rec-Rac bike clamps work in my pickup box and have proven to be unusaully durable, and versatile regardless whether I am using my mountain or road bike. Secondly, the well constructed clamps offer a measure of security by providing a locking means to secure the bike to the clamp. Excellent valve and recommend it to bike enthusiasts who don't want to disassemble their bikes every time transporting becomes a issue.

Bottom Line:
Highly recommend this product.

Purchased At:   On-line

Similar Products Used:   Bike racks that required bike disassembly.

Bike Setup:   Quick and easy. A screw driver is about all you need.

Submitted by railking a Weekend Warrior from Texas

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2009

Strengths:    easy installation, strong, removable, lockable, portable. Ingenious design. The clamps are small, so there is less shipping charges and storage needed if removed.

Weaknesses:    The rubber straps take a little getting used to. But not a big issue.

Bottom Line:
This is the best truck rack system I have seen. The clamps fit great on my Ranger. Easy on, and easy off the bed rails. The bike doesn't move at all. I didn't get the add-a-bike extenders, so can't comment. I am considering the extenders, or a second rack for the other side of the bed.

Purchased At:   recrac.com

Bike Setup:   07' Ibex HT, 01' Ford Ranger PU

Submitted by rghbsn a Cross Country Rider from Leland, NC, USA

Date Reviewed: April 15, 2009

Strengths:    small, lockable, strong, easy to adjust and set up. Don't need to remove wheels, saves 90% of your truck bed for gear, cost effective, great design.

Weaknesses:    I have not found any weaknesses yet...

Bottom Line:
I wish I would have come up with this idea! These racks are exactly was I was looking for, and many, many dollars less than any of the other contenders. Not only did I get quick shipping, but I got email directly from the creator to make sure that they would fit my truck. When I called them, I spoke to him as he was finishing up a ride of his own. I brag about this system every chance I get, because I would love to see them in every LBS and magazine around...it's that good of a design.
If you have a pickup, and you want to use your truck and carry bikes at the same time, this is for you!
I get no bounce, no wobble, no lean from any of my/my wife's bikes...on road, on trail, on highways. My road bike has carbon fiber, bladed front forks... it still secures perfectly with no wobble or shaking at highway speeds. No scratches or frame issues, either. The neoprene straps complained about in the older reviews are no longer used, and the rubber straps are perfect!

Favorite Trail:   Any Trail

Purchased At:   Recrac.com

Similar Products Used:   None like this... regular racks, roof racks, hitch racks

Bike Setup:   Raleigh Comp road bike
Gary Fisher Cobia
Felt Nine Elite

Submitted by muzza mon a Weekend Warrior from busharagua

Date Reviewed: May 20, 2008

Strengths:    Easy install if you read the instructions. Bike loads in 8 seconds. Bike unloads in 6 seconds. Just unstrap, lift and ride away. Your bike stays in one piece, no wheel take off. Elegant solution.
Low visual impact on my Silverado. Holds my prize Superlight secure, no drill holes or any other damage to the truck after 2 years in place.

Weaknesses:    Used the basic unit for 2+ years and it's good as new. The bike extenders , white plastic tubes/straps to attach a second bike, take more time to properly install, but I don't use them much. Guest bikes are usually forced into the prone position, which is only possible because my bike standing straight up on Rec-Rac allows lots of extra storage room on the truck bed.

Bottom Line:
Wifey wants me to buy another Rec Rac so her park bike can stand up straight & proud on the opposite rail of the truck bed.

If you load & unload your bikes several times a week and want storage room left over in the truck bed, this is your very best option.

This product is smart & so convenient you forget the impact it has. Transporting bikes with a Rec-Rac is like indoor plumbing...it becomes part of your life & you forget how convenient it is.

One of my best drunken sailor purchases.

Favorite Trail:   tranquility base

Purchased At:   Rec-Rac Online

Similar Products Used:   Wangly jangly bumper-mounted crap on the wife's mini-van. I can also pile lots of bikes in a full sized pickup truck bed, and get lots of frame scratches & spoke damage. Whats that old expression? Harshes the buzz, 'cause you have to decide who gets to be on top, as it were.

Bike Setup:   06 Superlight on which I still spend money like a drunken sailor, Thomson post/stem, Monkeylite cf bars, XTR crank, standard victim of fancy packaging.., yawn... switched out the standard 6" front rotor for an 8 incher & am now able to do headers at will & sometimes spontaneously.

Submitted by Steve a Cross Country Rider from Canyon Lake, CA USA

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2008

Strengths:    Works Great! Very fast to get the bike in & out. You do not remove wheel from bike.

Bottom Line:
Great product... I just bought a second set for my wifes bike.

Purchased At:   Manufacturer

Bike Setup:   2007 Santa Cruz Heckler & Full size Chevy crew cab 2500HD

Submitted by Chris a Weekend Warrior from Casper, Wy

Date Reviewed: July 12, 2007

Strengths:    Have owned various iterations of the product for a couple years with different trucks. Newest is the best. Carry two Bikes (one one each side) and have been over the roughest washboards in CO & WY and never had a problem. Also have used the "add a bike" def not for offroad but do carry 5 in bed w/out removing any wheels.

Weaknesses:    Different bed depths can pose set-up issues.

Bottom Line:
Excellent design, strength of clamp seems indestructible. In & out of the truck in less than minute.

Favorite Trail:   Captain Jacks, CO

Purchased At:   Online

Similar Products Used:   BIke-Tites

Bike Setup:   Rocky Mtn.

Submitted by ben a Cross Country Rider from san jose, ca

Date Reviewed: February 10, 2007

Strengths:    It holds it pretty stable. Don't have to take off the front tire. Quick installation.

Weaknesses:    It doesn't fit my truck. I had to MacGyver it in order to make it to sorta fit. It is stable to hold it but I don't trust it very much under heavier bouncing.

Bottom Line:
If it fit my truck well, it would be good. However, it doesn't work well with my truck.

Favorite Trail:   stevens creek canyon

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   quick release bolted to the truck bed.

Submitted by Andy Wood a Weekend Warrior from Belmar NJ

Date Reviewed: April 8, 2006

Strengths:    It is an elegant design and is fairly well made. The idea is great as having bikes flopping around in the back of the truck is annoying.

Weaknesses:    To adjust the rec rac you need a hex wrench. so if you put a differnt bike on you have to use a tool to adjust it. It does not hold the bike really solidly. The 'add a bike' device is an overpriced piece of crap that simply is not fit for the purpose. It is two plastic tubes with velcro at either end. The bikes move and lean out over the side of the truck when I used it. I will not use the 'add a bike' again.
The dog restraint is OK, again it is overpriced for what you actually get. A length of nylon leash with a clip on either end and a short length in the middle with another clip.

Bottom Line:
$124 bought me the rack, the 'add a bike' and the dog restraint. The dog loves being in the truck so I guess that was worth it. But on the whole you do not get much for the money. It may work better if it used velcro straps. even the new rubber ones are pretty crap and leave the bike with some 'play' when you try to cinch it into the rack.
It probably is OK for one bike, but as I usually ride with a buddy we end up using his car all the time. Given the choice I would go for a hitch type system next time. This thing is under engineered and over priced.

Favorite Trail:   Hartshorne

Purchased At:   Rec rac site

Similar Products Used:   Regular racks.

Bike Setup:   Old, steel Dean Jester soft tail, Fox Vanilla shock, XT everything.

Submitted by Jim Sterling a Cross Country Rider from Franklin, TN

Date Reviewed: November 30, 2005

Strengths:    Easy to install, holds bike securely, easy to use and isn't in the way when not in use.

Weaknesses:    Old straps broke easily, company has corrected problem and the new straps have worked for over a year.

Bottom Line:
Recommend highly. I use this rack nearly everyday and can't think of anything I would rather have.

Favorite Trail:   Oregon

Similar Products Used:   Don't know of similar product, though this is way better than tossing your bike in the truck bed.

Bike Setup:   Stumpy FSR...

Submitted by Patrick a Weekend Warrior from IL

Date Reviewed: April 10, 2005

Strengths:    Easy to assemble. Worked well in my Ford Ranger, bike fits securely and cannot beat the price I found on Sears website (not available at Sears retail locations).

Weaknesses:    None yet, but unsure how it will hold up long term. If you own a larger truck you may need to buy longer adapters which can be bought from the manufacturer’s website.

Bottom Line:
Price comes in well below competitors, easy assembly, and no front tire removal. Can also be converted to be used a tie downs for securing small loads.

Purchased At:   Sears.com