Raxter Bike Rack Bike Rack

4.77/5 (31 Reviews)

AutoNesting™, a key RAXTER™ innovation, provides for independent forward and rearward positioning of bikes. This feature eliminates the inconvenience of repositioning seatposts, entanglements and resulting damage that occurs with other bike rack designs. The bikes are nestled closely while being firmly prevented from touching. The AutoNesting™ innovation organizes the loading and unloading procedure into a few easy steps.

The RAXTER™ Bike Rack's wheel mount arrangement secures bikes without clamps, eliminating the risk of dents to thin-walled frames, scratches to bike or vehicle finish, and the damage commonly associated with other bike racks. Wheels need not be removed and are bound in place so they cannot spin. Since the wheels stay on the bike, dirt stays outside the vehicle.

With the RAXTER™ Bike Rack, bikes are positioned at the rear of the vehicle, allowing owners of the RAXTER™ Bike Rack to enjoy reduced aerodynamic drag and better fuel economy, while their bikes enjoy better protection from bugs and road debris.

The RAXTER™ Bike Rack, built from glass-filled nylon composite, cold-rolled powder-coated steel and marine-grade nylon straps, weighs a mere 28 pounds and accommodates virtually any bicycle frame design, style or size. The RAXTER™ Bike Rack is a solid receiver hitch-rack, but is light enough for anyone to install or remove. With a very competitive suggested retail price of $299.95, the RAXTER™ Bike Rack is positioned to appeal to value conscious consumers who want a full-feature bike rack.

Read the Professional Review for the
Raxter Rack! Click Here»

Submitted by southpaw533

Date Reviewed: January 23, 2014

Strengths:    Sturdy, folds easily, doesn't contact the frame, simple operation, fits any combination of bikes mt road kids tandem etc, did I mention sturdy

Weaknesses:    I guess velcro straps could wear out but mine haven't in 3 yrs of use. Slightly heavy but a decent trade off for its sturdiness and lack of flex. Need to purchase anti-sway threaded hitch pin if you want to eliminate "very small" amount of sway.

Bottom Line:
I love this rack!. I've used it on 2 different trucks and an SUV with my road, mountain, and kids bikes. Its sturdy, easy to use, folds up quickly and easily compared to my previous Saris rack. I love that the bikes don't touch each other and nothing contacts the frame. I love this rack so much I'm purshasing the additional 2 bike add-on since both my kids are riding now. One accessory I do recommend is the anti-sway hitch pin which is threaded and basically pushes the part of the rack that fits in the receiver of the hitch firmly to one side which eliminates 100% of the minimal sway it had before. I also find the velcro straps so much easier than the stiff rubbery plastic ones on my previous saris rack. I've used this rack for 3+ years and have nothing but positives to say about it. It does what its meant to do as easy as any rack I've seen.

Submitted by nabanana a Weekend Warrior from Durango

Date Reviewed: April 19, 2011

Strengths:    Lightweight, easy to install, easy to use, low profile; customer service

Weaknesses:    can't open the rear door with bikes loaded

Bottom Line:
I can't say enough good things about this rack. I have a Toyota Rav 4 which is a challenge because the door swings open, and the spare tire is on the door. I do have two roof racks, but, I can't live heavy mountain bikes onto the roof. Now, I am so happy with this rack, that I even use it for my high dollar road bike!

The rack is low profile, so in the down position, you can swing the door open completely. The Yakima Double Down rack only allows you to open the door about 30%. Most of my riding is in town, so I wanted a lightweight rack that I could take on and off the car. Yakima and Thule tray racks are nearly 60 pounds! I don't even need to take this one off though because it is so low profile. In the up position, there is loads of room between the rack and the spare tire - I didn't need to buy the extra long rack.

I would recommend the locking hitch pin because the rack rocks with the pin that it came with. With the locking pin, there is no movement at all.

The only downside that I have found is that you can't open the rear door with the bikes loaded because it doesn't have a third position. This is not an issue for me, but it could be for people that drive around a lot with bikes on the car.

By the way, the four velcro straps are no big deal. The bikes are secure, and it takes second to load a bike.

Did I mention the customer service? I asked about a million questions before buying because of my Rav 4, and Kelli patiently answered everything.

Bottom line. This rack is awesome. Highly recommend.

Favorite Trail:   Dry Fork

Purchased At:   Raxterracks.com

Similar Products Used:   Yakima double down, Thule roof racks

Bike Setup:   Specialized S-works Ruby

Submitted by Jsaxonh a Weekend Warrior from Ga Mountains

Date Reviewed: February 4, 2011

Strengths:    Everything. This rack is light but stiff. It folds up. It looks good. Very easy to use. Good clearance

Weaknesses:    Nothing so far. Velcro could become an issue.

Bottom Line:
This rack is awesome. A three year old could work this rack. It holds the bike super firm with no frame rubbing or bouncing. You can trust this rack with your $3000+ bikes. When you are not using it you just fold it up or remove it since its so light. For 36 lbs. this thing is strong, just jump on it. I dare you to go jump on the side of a thule. Fits 29ers well side by side. The only problem is could foresee would be the velcro straps. So far even when wet they have worked great. My only concern would be how they aged, but the best part is how cheap it would be to replace just velcro straps. Great price when compared to Thule T2 and performs better.

Favorite Trail:   Bearcreek

Purchased At:   Dealer

Similar Products Used:   Thule, Yakima, etc.

Bike Setup:   Niner MCR X.O. build, custom wheelset

Submitted by RustyMallard a Cross Country Rider from Tulsa OK

Date Reviewed: October 26, 2009

Strengths:    Simple
saves time(bikes go on and off quickly)
light weight(way lighter than competition)
does not damage bike!(does not even touch the frame,think carbon)
excellent design
no need to remove bike wheel
no damage to vehicle
bikes do not touch each other
no need to move seats or handle bars (bike fitting is expensive and I don't have to move anything)
modular, I bought a single and have added a double to use on occasions of hauling more than one bike,two bolts and the double is off in 30 seconds.(way cool)I always leave the single on the truck.
excellent customer service! small parts available fast and reasonable price.
velcro straps do not hurt carbon or anodized wheels, and after two years still work great.
better gas mileage than roof rack
safer than roof rack(think garages)(if some one hits your bike with thier car,thier insurance pays for it not yours,your insurance man will thank you)).
folding option(think pulling vehicle in garage without removing rack)
customer service. Kelli rocks!!

Weaknesses:    None that I can think of. far as the sway bolts they really are not needed as the minor sway others have observed in this review is not detrimental to the product,vehicle,or bike it is just a perception that movement is bad. I think that is why the engineer did not spec it. Just saying.

Bottom Line:
This bike rack does it all. I have not found a combination of bikes that will not fit together on this rack. I have used it for 2 years with no complaints. It is strong,light weight and fairly priced(rare.) I have hauled many bikes thousands of miles without issue. The rack has never caused damage to any bike or my truck. Only a major brain fade could cause a bike to come off(think forgetting to attach all four velcro straps, if you have done this do not admit it.) Tires can go flat and the bikes still can not come off. The guy who designed this is a thinker. He has used the KISS method of engineering (keep it simple stupid:)) no fancy marketing hype it just works the best.(think better mouse trap). best buy for my money. Raxter Rocks! (This has not been a paid advertisement)

Favorite Trail:   Turkey Mtn

Purchased At:   raxter web site

Similar Products Used:   trunk mounts,other hitch racks.(I do not want to bad mouth by name,it is impolite)

Bike Setup:   Maverick(with thru axle)
S-works Enduro
Carbon Roubaix
recumbant.

Submitted by jajepp a Cross Country Rider from Balko, OK USA

Date Reviewed: October 23, 2009

Strengths:    It works. Its simple. Its fast. Its strong. Its well constructed. It looks great. It holds the bikes efficiently. It is easy to adjust. The bikes go on without a struggle.

Weaknesses:    Really none

Bottom Line:
If you want a bike rack that is strong, easy to use, comparably affordabe, and efficient you want this rack. The Raxtor guys are easy to work with and they put out a very good product. If you're looking to replace an old rack (which I was) then you won't regret this investment. Gone are the days in which loading bikes onto my vehicle is a 30 minute endeavor in patience and self control of the tongue. With Raxtor, the bikes go on quickly, efficiently and easily. Buy it!

Favorite Trail:   Palo Dura Canyon

Purchased At:   Hotter N Hell

Similar Products Used:   Saris hitch (4 bike), Hollywood trunk mount

Submitted by Mad Chemist a Cross Country Rider from Chino Hills, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2009

Strengths:    Secured by the bike's wheels. Doesn't touch the bike frame or fork or anything else for that matter. Simple, easy to use and assemble (4 bolts), light weight.

Weaknesses:    4 Velcro straps per bike is a little slower to secure than similar racks from other manufactures.

Bottom Line:
So far so good. I bought the non-folding, 2", two bike version. The folding version didn't seem that much shorter when folded and seemed more likely to scrape (the folding mechanism sits lower, further back). And I always remove the rack when not used. The light weight makes removal a breaze. Bought this rack to replace my 1 year old Yakima Stickup. The rubber on one of the hold down tubes of the Stickup wore thru and scratched the paint down to bare metal on of one of my bikes :( Like most here, I recommend the anti-rattle pin. silverarrowcycleworks.com got the rack to me quick.

Purchased At:   silverarrowcyclework

Similar Products Used:   Yakima stickup, Allen

Bike Setup:   Rocky Mountain Vertexs

Submitted by gzacckey a Weekend Warrior from Reading, PA

Date Reviewed: August 19, 2009

Strengths:    Versatility, ease of use, compactness and lightweight are some of it's best strengths

Weaknesses:    I feel all racks of this caliber should come with locking hitch pins and anti-sway features.

Bottom Line:
I have the fold-up version.

I've loaded bikes with 12", 20", 26", 700c, and 29" wheels. The nesting feature eliminates most interference issues. This allows the bikes to be racked much closer together so the rack doesn't extend as far as competitor models.

It's lighter than Thule, Yakima, and Saris tray style racks.

It's extremely simply to load your bikes on the rack. I put the bikes on the rack and my 7 yr old grandson can secure them.

The only thing I added was the silent locking hitch pin. It's stops the rack from swaying and locks it to my truck. It doesn't come with a locking cable so you will need to purchase a cable lock to secure the bikes from theft.

I would have given it 5 chilis if it came with anti-sway and locking capabilities.

Purchased At:   Ultimatebikehitch.co

Similar Products Used:   Thule, Hollywood racks (love their built-in anti-sway feature)

Submitted by clee-bikes a Cross Country Rider from Oxford, MS

Date Reviewed: June 11, 2009

Strengths:    Lightweight and simple to use. Single rack works great on VW when mated with a Curt Hitch. Works with my road bike and my fat tire 29er. Ready out of the box in 5 minutes.

Weaknesses:    Go ahead and buy the anti-sway nut or silent hitch pin to eliminate play at hitch. Adds a little to the price, but well worth the peace of mind.

Bottom Line:
Outstanding product and customer support. I had questions on order and Raxter was quick and friendly with responses.

Favorite Trail:   Lake Lurleen

Purchased At:   Bikecarrierdirect.co

Similar Products Used:   Thule and Saris products.

Bike Setup:   Road and 29er.

Submitted by chrisshultz a Weekend Warrior from Eugene, OR

Date Reviewed: May 21, 2009

Strengths:    Simple, can open hatch of Subaru with rack on the car, t.he auto-nesting mechanism is a good design, the only hitch-mounted rack I have found for only 1 bike

Weaknesses:    Can't lock bike to rack, need to use cable and u-lock, not an ideal solution

Bottom Line:
I park in a parking garage at work. Roof racks won't work (ask me how I know). I need a simple, hitch-mounted rack that allows my to drop my bike in when I want to, and the rest of the time it stays pretty much out of the way. The Raxter non-folding one-bike rack is the answer. The finish and quality is very good. I am impressed so far.

Favorite Trail:   Whypass

Purchased At:   Raxter web site

Similar Products Used:   Yakima and Thule fold-up racks -- they take up too much space when deployed and when folded up I can't open the hatch.

Bike Setup:   Specialized Roubaix Comp road bike; Bianchi Axis cross bike

Submitted by frankbroostin a Cross Country Rider from Tulsa

Date Reviewed: January 8, 2009

Strengths:    Lightweight, elegantly simple, excellent customer service

Weaknesses:    Stability in high winds

Bottom Line:
Single bike rack is very good. Very simple to use. Extremely easy to handle because of light weight. Load/unload is incredibly simple and fast. I looked at the competition and this is the best rack. Why buy a 40 or 60 pound pig when this rack will do the job with half the weight? In high winds, the bikes does move around some, but I have never been concerned, even at 100mph when late to a ride. I added an eye bolt and tack welded it so I can lock the bike to the rack and use a locking hitch pin. Nice setup if you need to leave the bike on the rack at work.

Favorite Trail:   Turkey - Best in Oklahoma

Purchased At:   Bicycles of Tulsa

Similar Products Used:   Saris roof rack, lots of trunk racks

Bike Setup:   XC Mountain Bike
Road Bike

Submitted by rjb1000 a Weekend Warrior from San Francisco, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: September 30, 2008

Strengths:    Ease of use, simplicity, modest weight, no impact on fuel economy, price, great multi-bike fit and does not damage bike. Fold up feature very helpful, well worth modest add'l cost.

Weaknesses:    The product performs exactly as advertised.

Bottom Line:
The Raxter has worked very well on extended high speed (80 mph) interstate drives and equally well on gravel roads and high-clearance 4x4 paths. In each case the rack kept an iron grip on the bikes and was rock-solid in the receiver hitch with no damage to the steeds. A locking hitch pin has been a useful accessory, allowing the multi-day traveler to leave the rack securely attached to the vehicle and adding stability/peace of mind on all road surfaces. Granted the rack works fine with the included quick pin, but some slight swaying at higher speeds and in sharp corners was noticed. Moreover, the fold-up option has also been a great help, facilitating garage storage and allowing access to the back of the vehicle (SUV) when the bike is out of the rack. All in all the Raxter has been money well spent, allowing for the bike to easily and securely tag-along while maintaining plenty of space in the vehicle for the family.

Purchased At:   raxter website

Similar Products Used:   None, this is the first bike rack I've owned.

Bike Setup:   Specialized FSR

Submitted by bryan123 a Weekend Warrior from Sonoma, CA

Date Reviewed: August 27, 2008

Strengths:    Ease of use-Loading/Off loading bikes. Can be expanded to accomidate more bikes. Light weight, so you can keep down the "Tongue weight" if you're using it on your car.

Weaknesses:    The Plastice Wheel Cups on the arms. Broke the piece on one cup that holds the velcro strap. Doesn't effect functionality at all though. No good way to lock the bikes to the rack.

Bottom Line:
Bike can accomodate anything I have to throw at it. Has 3 long road trips under it's belt now. Sway only seems to occur when passing big rigs and getting caught in their turbulence, and with the aerodynamics of my car after 85mph.

Favorite Trail:   Rockville

Purchased At:   Raxterracks.com

Similar Products Used:   Various Bed heads in the truck, one strappy thing that was a project to put on anything, if you got the straps untangled.

Bike Setup:   29er, Fully 26er, road bike

Submitted by gatorling a Weekend Warrior from St. Petersburg, Florida USA

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2008

Strengths:    Super easy to use, light weight, low profile and folds up out of the way. After 3 months of use I can load my road bike onto my carrier in under 1 minute. I'm already heading home while other roadies are still fiddling with straps and buckles (or removing their front tires).

Weaknesses:    Looks like slight rusting on the bolt hinges, hope this doesn't get worse, slight play on a 1 1/2" hitch.

Bottom Line:
Awesome product but a bit pricey. Wish they would've foresaw the rusting problem and done something to prevent it.
The Raxter rack definitely is a secure and safe rack. I live in Florida and regularly take I-75 up to Gainesville (130-140 mile trip). My average car speed on I-75? 85mph, I've gone 100mph before without the bike flying off the rack. You can definitely tell that the rack does produce some drag but you don't really notice it until you're going 75mph+.

Only issue I have is that the bolts are starting to rust a little..afraid they might give out eventually and my bike will go flying off on the interstate.

Purchased At:   1up.com

Bike Setup:   Specialized Allez Elite stock

Submitted by pointwell a Cross Country Rider from Atlanta, GA

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2008

Strengths:    It is a relatively light hitch mount rack, folds up, is fairly compact and EASY TO USE!! I planned to take the Raxter rack off between uses - but changed my mind when my gas mileage actually improved!!

Weaknesses:    None so far - does look like some rust is happening from hardware where one of the "arms" attach.

Bottom Line:
Only drawback is that I need to plan ahead in that I can't open my back hatch once bikes are on.

Favorite Trail:   All trails at Tsali

Purchased At:   1upusa

Similar Products Used:   Used to use roof mount Thule, which I love, but got a new car that didn't allow a simple adapter, so got a hitch put on. Originally got the Yakima Kingpin 4 - hated it, bikes moved, it needed so many bungee cords, and took a long time to get mountain bikes loaded - CRAZY!! Love the RAXTER!!

Bike Setup:   Specialized Tarmac PRO road bike and Specialized EPIC PRO

Submitted by Stephen Spindler a Weekend Warrior from Riverside CA USA

Date Reviewed: June 23, 2008

Strengths:    This is a great bike carrier rack. Simple, easy to assemble and use, and not heavy like the swing-arm type. I purchased the dual carrier for a 2 inch hitch. I have hauled our mountain bikes from Riverside CA to Zion, Utah area (350 mi), and to beach and back (60 mi) with no problems. The bikes are held securely and do not move relative to one-another, and so do not hit one-another like on the hanging racks. Mountain bikers with hanging type racks I have met have to use attachable crossbars to hang the bikes from and then pads and bungees to hold the bikes together and keep them from banging together. Way too much trouble, and the pads can migrate during transport. For security, I use a hitch lock purchased at an auto-supply store, and two 5' 6" series 4 Kryptonite NY Chain w EV Disc Bike Lock ($89.99 from e-bay). I use one of the locks to hold both chains to a chain hold on the auto hitch, pass the two chains through the front and back tires, then the frame and then together with the other lock. No-one even tries to mess with them.

Weaknesses:    I have had no problems and have no complaints.

Bottom Line:
Great rack.

Favorite Trail:   Sycamore Canyon Riverside CA

Purchased At:   e-Bay

Bike Setup:   Specialized Stump Jumper full suspension - Stock

Building Concerned about "Professional Image" Tickets Bike Rack Users

[url=http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2013/08/02/bc-vancouver-bike-rack.html]Bike rack time limit outrages Vancouver cyclist - British Columbia - CBC News[/url]Read More »

Cheap bike rack conversion

I've always had to kludge getting my kids bikes on the roof rack to get them to the park. I had some old Thule wheel holders in the garage, removed the clamp-to-bar mechanism, so I slipped a cut up noodle on the legs and clamped it in my fork-mount tray. The front tire wedges nicely between the padd ... Read More »

MoCo Bike rack

So, recently I've been verbally warned a number of times that my bike rack was obscuring the license plate. The thing is, I've had it on there for half a year prior to getting these warnings this month. Is anyone else experiencing this? Should I just put the plate in the back widow of the car? I'm c ... Read More »

INNO hitch bike rack

Anyone give me a review on the INNO hitch tire hold bike rack?Read More »

3 bike spare tire bike rack for a Rav4

We are looking to go on vacation in mid-august and we have 3 bikes to take with us on my 2004 RAv4. I currently have a 2 bike rear tire rack and so I began to look for a 3 bike version. I can only find one in the whole of the internet, made by a company called Allen. It got decent reviews on Amazon, ... Read More »