Performance XPORT Xpress Truck Rack - Front Wheel Carrier Bike Rack

2.65/5 (34 Reviews)

• Attaches to XPORT Express Truck Rack
  • Holds one wheel

Keep your wheels from banging around the truck and maximize storage space.

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by John Doe a Racer from Phoenix, AZ

Date Reviewed: July 31, 2009

Weaknesses:    Should be common sense for most but make darn sure that you have the quick release tight on this because that's the only thing keeping the wheel on carrier.

Bottom Line:
    Better off getting the Thule #593

Similar Products Used:   Thule #593 Wheel On - Holds front wheel more securely with channel for the axle which prevents wheel from falling off.

Submitted by David a Weekend Warrior from Las Vegas,NV

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2007

Strengths:    This is for the roof rack Xport(Bearcrafters US-1401)the rack is not bad. I used a hack saw to cut the 53" bars about 5" Looks like they updated the mounting clamps as they sent me new ones a few days later. Rack is snug on my cars.

Weaknesses:    The fork mount rivets on the bike rail are a joke. I can see where someone posted they broke. I will probably drill them out and use a hex bolt and nut to hold and get someone to weld up the corners.

Bottom Line:
    Not a back rack for the $$$. I bought the locking one and the locks work fine. The only issue and i find this one a big one is the rivets on the fork mount rails is a bad design. At some point they WILL break and send your bike flying. I guess if you are running 18lb rigs you will be fine but not my 35lb FS. So if you are buying this for the sole purpose of a bike, consider buying something else or welding up the rail,replacing the rivets with bolts or maybe even both. If you just need a cheap rack and will only use the fork mounts rarely then it is a great deal.

Similar Products Used:   Thule Roof rack

Bike Setup:   IronHorse FS

Submitted by Gerald a Weekend Warrior from Orlando, FL, USA

Date Reviewed: July 10, 2007

Strengths:    Price, adjustability, ease of use...

Weaknesses:    Sways a little...but you get used to it...

Bottom Line:
    This is my first hitch rack and its been great!!!
    It does sway a little which used to make me feel uncomfortable...but I got used to it. I wish it sat a little higher so that the muffler port would not be directly aimed at the bike's wheel/tire. But I've had no issues either... Overall a great rack for the money. I can't complain... I've had it for over 3 years now and its been great...still going strong!!

Favorite Trail:   Jones Trail

Similar Products Used:   Trunk racks...horrible

Bike Setup:   2004 Raleigh Ram 2.0; highly modded.

Submitted by Ridin'Dirty a Cross Country Rider from NC

Date Reviewed: July 10, 2007

Strengths:    easy to load/unload bikes. hitch receivers keep the bikes off the car.

Weaknesses:    doesn't work! too much flex and give as you travel down the road and your bikes eventually work loose despite securing the bikes properly.

Bottom Line:
    I re-greased the bolts the first time the knobs used to tighten down the securing arms came loose - no luck bc the whole thing constantly bobs and sways excessively and eventually the bike is going to come off the rack.

The Velcro straps that go over the wheels for additional security dry rot and break easily (not that they help anyway if your bike tips over and catches the road- it's coming off the rack. Constantly have to re-adjust the wheel trays to accommodate bikes with different wheel bases. If you don't get these trays exact the bike will come off the rack despite having the arms tightened. Overall, it is a very poor design despite taking extra steps to keep my bikes safe. You get what you pay for. If you value your bike don't skimp on this rack. This has to be the worst hitch rack ever made.

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   thule (a well designed product)

Bike Setup:   Titus RX 100, Lemond Versailles, and a Turner Sultan have all worked loose from this rack.

Submitted by JoAnne from Chicago, IL, USA

Date Reviewed: May 30, 2007

Strengths:    Seemed very sturdy, and with six straps, I am sure it would've held well. The rubber loops for securing the bikes seemed very strong, too.

Weaknesses:    The rack was too wide for the two bikes I wanted to put on it. I have a women's xs Schwinn Voyageur hybrid, and the other bike was a Specialized men's hybrid. Neither would fit, because the two bars were too far apart.

Bottom Line:
    I wish bike rack companies would include how wide their arms are spaced apart in their specs so that consumers will know if their bike fits before buying the rack, bringing it home, figuring out how to put it on the car, and then realizing it's too big. The salesman didn't ask what kind of bikes I had, and this was my first rack purchase, so I didn't even realize the rack might be too wide. So if you are a novice like me, ask first!

Favorite Trail:   along Chicago's lakeshore

Submitted by Grant Boysen a Downhiller from Castro Valley, California, USA

Date Reviewed: January 2, 2007

Strengths:    XPORT Slipstream 4 bike rack

Cheap for a 4 bike carrier. Easy to instal, looks nice.

Weaknesses:    It sways like crazy and there is nothing you can do about it. Almost imposible to get a FS bike on it. Isnt light. The only reason I dont like it is it sways like crazy! Its really scarry when you are on the freeway doing 55 and the bikes are HOPPING! I belive its like that because its a dual hitch reciever. 1/1/4" and a 2" so the plastic warps (I have a 2" reciver) I Returned it.

Bottom Line:
    Its great if you have a 1/1/4" inch reciever ( tried it out on my friends truck) but if you have a 2" stay away unless you want to have a heart attack.

Favorite Trail:   JMP

Purchased At:   Performance Bike

Similar Products Used:   Cheap Target carrier.

Bike Setup:   Ibex Zone FR-1 and Commencal Combi Disc.

Submitted by RX100 a Racer from NC

Date Reviewed: August 15, 2006

Strengths:    The new designs are very nice. This is a great alternative to the roof rack. I just got a new Subaru Legacy GT Limited and there were no channels for a luggage rack (the wagon has them but the sedan does not). So, I had a hitch attached at U-Haul which is under the bumber and does not stand out - and then I ordered the Xport Flatbead 2 bike carrier from Performance. It is easy to set up and install. Only two wrenches were needed to do minor assembly and install - a 3/4" and either 13 or 17mm. It holds bikes very securely (better than any roof rack I have used). I put my road bike and my mtn bike on without any problems...you really don't even need to use the velcro wheel straps once the wheels are in the slots/trays and the padded fastening "arm" is pushed down around the top tube. I will go ahead and strap the wheels on longer trips. Overall, a great rack for the price. Especially if you want to keep the bikes off the car and have the option to remove the rack (one bolt that goes through the hitch).

Weaknesses:    No way to lock the bikes.

Bottom Line:
    Great rack for the money. Simple, lightweight, sturdy design. It's too bad you can't lock the bikes to the rack and also have a locking core for the bolt that goes through the hitch (like on the old Yakima Terra Firmas..owned one of those too ;-)

Purchased At:   performance

Similar Products Used:   None similar - I have owned Rocky Mount Noose SL's, Yakima King Cobras, and even a InstaGater truck bed rack. All good racks as well.

Bike Setup:   Titus RX 100, Lemond Versailles, Gary Fisher Aquila that is now my SS.

Submitted by Dave Fialko a Weekend Warrior from everywhere

Date Reviewed: July 29, 2006

Strengths:    Inexpensive and improved design since I worked for Perf in the 90's. Everything is now metal. The old bike trays had plastic heads that were weak as hell. You can actually lock the rack to the car now with included barrel locks and keys.

Weaknesses:    Thin metal strip connecting feet to clips. I cannot find a weight limit posted anywhere!

Bottom Line:
    The system is fair, Its not a Yakima. For 250.00 I got a 3 bike set up. The locking system on the feet to car is fair. But the skewer locking system is kinda gheto. It gives you a master lock to lock around the skewer arm into a supplied metal loop. I wouldnt leave my Trials bike on it if I was to leave the car unattended for lengthy time. But for a quick lunch in a diner or a quick trip to the store, its enough of a deterent. The clips are definetly the week point. there are two rivets holding the clips onto the feet. The system came with feet and I had to oreder a fit kit as well, so I tested the strength of the rivets on the x-tra pair. I drilled one out and it was suprisinlgy solid, taking more effort to drill than expected. I also did a load stress test, they didnt break. It looks weaker than it is. I still think I am going to fabricate new clips for my peace of mind when cruising at 80 down the highway.

Bottom line, me and my wife have bills, mortgage and actually wanted to have spending money for vacation. A equivilant Thule system would have been 500.00 , a equivilant Yakima would have been 600.00. So you decide.

Favorite Trail:   anywhere in north carolina

Purchased At:   performance

Similar Products Used:   http://www.barrecrafters.com/fitguide/fitp3.asp check this w-site out. It is the rack, Perf just slaps there stickers on it.

Bike Setup:   Trials bike, x-cross bike, etc

Submitted by jason f a Weekend Warrior from crofon, md

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2006

Strengths:    simple, light, inexpensive, works

Weaknesses:    no internal lock, fold down arm to get in suv has a lock that is a screw that needs to backed out to unlock and tightened to lock

Bottom Line:
    it works, tighten all the screws/bolts, adjust the wheel holders and rock and roll. The first time using it some rail road tracks snuck up on me at 70mph,i was nervous but the bikes stayed on,they didnt shift or sway at all.

Similar Products Used:   other cheap carriers

Bike Setup:   06 cannondale prophet (stock for now)

Submitted by bryan a Weekend Warrior from san antonio, tx

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2004

Strengths:    Cheap

Weaknesses:    DO NOT BUY ANY OF THESE RACKS!!!! I'm dead serious! I've had the factory roof rack (performance trays) for 2 days and already my bike fell off!! I made a slight turn and whammo, the bike fell over on my roof. The bolts holding the tray bent and broke through the mounting hole. Needless to say, i just took pictures and i'm gonna raise h3!!. Don't be like me and try to save a few bucks and ignore the reviews here. I dont' want anyone to have to experience this with their beloved bikes.

Bottom Line:
    You get what you pay for. Pay for a Yakima or Thule.

Purchased At:   performance bike

Submitted by John a Weekend Warrior from Blue Point, New York

Date Reviewed: May 26, 2004

Strengths:    Price, Quality & Strength

Weaknesses:    Required modification to fit disc brake fork, very noisy (I guess they all are)

Bottom Line:
    This rack is roughly half the price of the others out there and it is very well made, so if you need a roof rack that costs only slightly more than a trunk mount, this is the ticket. Mine fits my BMW 750il so well that when you shake the rack, the whole car shakes.

I have had two bikes (one with a child seat on the back) at 75 mph on the highway without any problems. I have also used it to carry a door from the Depot, which was really useful. There is a little wobble from the front fork mount, but it does not seem to effect the stability of the bikes.

Speaking of the front fork mount, I had to modify mine to get it to fit my fork with disc brakes - therefore only four for overall.

Favorite Trail:   Rocky Point

Purchased At:   Online

Bike Setup:   99 Giant Warp DS-One, Manitou Black Comp, Avid Discs front and rear

Submitted by Tom a Racer from Oregon

Date Reviewed: January 1, 2004

Strengths:    Inexpensive, Durrable.

Weaknesses:    Tollerences on fork mount rail are not extremely tight, and bike woble side to side some.

Bottom Line:
    This is for the Sport roof rack which has now been renamed the Xsport roof rack, the crossbars are still the same but it looks like the fork mount rails have been changed. This rack is actually made by Barrecrafts and sold by them as the model 1401. I have had this one sinse 1996. The crossbars and the hook up to the roof have been great. I've used it on a Mustang, and Civic and its always been very secure, I've had 3 bikes on top going in excess of 85mph and its always stayed on, and felt very solid with no play what so ever.
    The Fork mount rail is another story, while I've never lost a bike with it, the bike does sway side to side and just always made me nervous. So I finally bought a Yakima Copperhead rail and put it on for my bike, my friends still get the scarry ones.
    Overall, I'm happy with the system and have really got my moneys worth out of it, and would give 5 stars if not for the swaying bikes.

Purchased At:   Performance