Performance XPORT Flatbed Bike Hitch Rack Bike Rack

4.21/5 (19 Reviews)

• The design makes it easy to mount the bikes – no overhead lifting or front wheel removal required
  • Rack folds up out of the way when not in use
  • Tilting base allows easy access to the rear of your vehicle
  • Powdercoated steel construction
  • Fits wheelbases from 17" to 58"

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Chris

Date Reviewed: July 6, 2013

Strengths:    Easy on and off, both the bikes and from the car.

Weaknesses:    Stupid people who think they do not need to secure their bike to the rack. Do not blame the equipment if you did not lock your bike to the rack.

Bottom Line:
    Have had this for over 7 years, rock solid. Drove from Chicago to L.A. and back with two bikes on the back. Never an issue, this is one piece that you buy once and never look back. Never have to worry about it hitting the garage on the way in/out or any other overhang. Pick one up, enjoy it and spend the money that you save on some more gear!!

Submitted by boodaroo a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: June 20, 2013

Strengths:    Cheap
    holds all styles/sizes of bikes
    dependable

Weaknesses:    basic/ not real cool to talk about

Bottom Line:
    Ive had this rack for almost five years now. It has stayed on the back of either my truck 2" or my wife's car 11/4" most of that time. While the rubber is a lil rough from the elements and it is slightly bent from hitting a tree while hunting, we still pile several thousand dollar bikes on it weekly. I always use a locking cable as a backup as I have had a few times a bike work lose from the clamp. We never use the wheel straps and on my truck I went to harbor freight and got a metal hitch adapter (11/4" to2") for $15 In my riding group we have four of these and evryone seems to love them. Would definetly buy another.

You can buy the lock pin for the hitch if needed. I did not and simply run a bike lock cable through the safety chain loop on the hitch.

Similar Products Used:   Hollywood, Thule

Submitted by Josh

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2013

Strengths:    Cheap, light, small.

Weaknesses:    The way that you have to tighten down all the parts. The bolts are insanely weak and the way that they are designed (with a square inset head) you cant get a grade 8 bolt that wont strip. They last maybe 5-6 uses before they strip and the bike WILL come loose. I keep a bag of spare bolts in my glovebox just for the occasion of when it will happen.

Also, the way the rack secures the arms with just a simple pin makes it really prone to rocking back and forth. The first drive will scare the poop out of you.

Bottom Line:
    Overall, I've had it almost two years. Its a decent rack for the price and if you really need one at an insanely cheap price this is it.

Submitted by GT0neX a Weekend Warrior from LA, CA

Date Reviewed: February 13, 2012

Strengths:    Great value for your money. Don't understand the need to purchase a more expensive rack only because of the name or because it looks better. For five years it has done everything I need it to do and never once failed me.

Weaknesses:    Doesn't look fancy.

Bottom Line:
    Best bang for your buck. Doesn't look pretty, but I ride mountain bikes, not sissy road bikes.

Favorite Trail:   All of them

Purchased At:   Performance Bike

Bike Setup:   Trail Bike.

Submitted by Roller a Weekend Warrior from Chantilly

Date Reviewed: June 16, 2011

Strengths:    - Quick and easy. I can load my bike, secure it, and be on the road in about a minute. Offloading is even faster, taking perhaps 10 seconds per bike.
    - The frame fits a 1¼" hitch receiver, and comes with an adapter sleeve (made of a hard rubber to eliminate any rattle) for 2" receivers. Bolted installation into the hitch receiver makes for a very solid attachment to the car.
    - Put the rack on the car (and taking it off) is very simple--about the same as putting a trailer hitch into the receiver.

Weaknesses:    - Rubber hitch sleeve has deteriorated, and I cannot find a source for replacement.

Bottom Line:
    Highly recommend. I'm sure this rack will outlive me, but if I ever have need of a second one, I won't hesitate to get another. I just wish the price was a little bit lower.

Favorite Trail:   W&OD

Purchased At:   Performance Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Thule 971 XT (hitch mounted)
    various trunk-lid mounts

Bike Setup:   Flat-bar road bike

Submitted by Wayne Biker a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: January 5, 2011

Strengths:    - Quick and easy to install/remove unit (I put depth marks on adapter and bike rack)
    - Quick and easy to load bikes
    - Folds down in every direction for vehicle access. I have an Isuzu Rodeo with glass that goes up and a door that opens out. The vertical bar drops flat and I can get in my vehicle without removing the rack.
    - Durable enough to go mild 4x4ing in the East Grand Canyon/Indian Land area with bikes on back and not damage the vehicle or bikes.
    - Keeps bikes in rear view mirror, slip-streams behind vehicle.

Weaknesses:    - Rack doesn't lock to hitch. Has a cotter pin into the mounting bolt to keep it from backing out.
    - Nylon/velcro straps that hold bikes to the wheel stops will deteriorate in a year or so. I replaced with webbing.

Bottom Line:
    Great, easy, flexible, inexpensive rack that lets you access the rear of any vehicle, no matter how it opens up.

After 3 years, I have had no issues with years highway travel or light 4x4 use, except the hard-plastic adapter from 1.25" to 2" receiver adapter is starting to wear from offroad shaking.

Black blends in. I put bright yellow reflective tape on it to make it more visible.

Appears to be a Performance, Inc brand.
    Model: 40-3559 Xport Flatbed 2-bike
    Owners manual at:

Purchased At:   Performance Bike

Similar Products Used:   Many racks from bike club friends, rear-vehicle trunk or tailgate mounts.

Bike Setup:   Two hard-tail mountain bikes, one road bike.

Submitted by SingleTrackDude a Cross Country Rider from La Canada Flintrdige, CA

Date Reviewed: September 10, 2010

Strengths:    None unless you want to lose your bike on the freeway

Weaknesses:    Built poorly. Bike is unstable on rack. Poor welds. Hardware is junk. Prone to metal fatigue.

Bottom Line:
    Do not buy this rack trying to save money. You will pay i the long run. The clamp loosened and my Intense Tracer bounced off on the freeway. BEWARE OF A CRAPPY RACK!!!

Favorite Trail:   Tunnel

Purchased At:   Perfomance

Similar Products Used:   Saris, Thule, Yakima

Bike Setup:   Intense Uzzi

Submitted by CCRiderKY a Weekend Warrior from Clayton, NC

Date Reviewed: August 29, 2010

Strengths:    Inexpensive for a hitch mount rack, lightweight, easy to set up, no wobbles if you use the included threaded hitch pin

Weaknesses:    None that I have noticed. Take care of your rack and it will take care of you.

Bottom Line:
    After owning several Hollywood Rack products, I simply needed an inexpensive rack to replace a poor quality Price Point experiment. I needed something that could go between 1 1/4" and 2" mounts. Looked at the Performance product, and realized it was the same item as other known name brands (probably all manufactured in the same off shore plant).

Have used the rack on various cars and bikes, from my wife's touring bike to my kids 20" wheel bike. No problem with any.

I would buy the 4-bike version if I needed to go up to that size (I currently have the 2 bike version).

I would recommend this hitch.

Favorite Trail:   Sedona, Percy Priest (Nashville)

Purchased At:   Performance Bike

Similar Products Used:   Various Hollwood Racks (my favorite manufacturer), Price Point hitch rack (I think it was a Sette brand......bad experience!)

Bike Setup:   SC Heckler set up for all mountain. XO drive train, Avid brakes, CrossMax, Marzocchi All Mountain, Thompson, Race Face, Tru Vativ, Swinger shock. Triple ring set up.

Submitted by Huts a Weekend Warrior from Boulder

Date Reviewed: August 7, 2010

Strengths:    Easy to use, lightweight but strong, easily adjustable, works for all our bike regardless of size.

Weaknesses:    Can't lock to hitch

Bottom Line:
    I would strongly recommend this product. We have it on our Subaru Forester. No wind resistance, nothing extends beyond the sides of the car, can keep an eye on the bikes through the rear view mirror. We drive over some pretty poor roads, including some bad rail crossings and the bikes stay solid. On other racks where the bikes hang they would swing wildly. Other racks have problems with top tubes that slope. None of that is a problem with this rack. The only way to break this rack would be to use it as a ladder. Exceptional bang for the buck.

Favorite Trail:   Bobolink

Purchased At:   Performancw Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Many including roof top carriers

Submitted by JoeTruth a Cross Country Rider from Granada Hills, CA

Date Reviewed: May 1, 2010

Strengths:    After breaking 3, I've decided to stop using this piece of crap Perfomance puts-out. Even their own employee's question why they keep selling it. Anyone who uses this rack long enough and hard enough, will experience failure. You get what you pay for. Most importantly, Randyboy is the biggest jack-off to ever walk this planet. To think one could co-exist with a beast he lives with, just for a free meal is the most repulsing and disgusting human thought imaginable. How pathetic and desperate can one be! Oh wait, it's Randall the guzzler...never mind. Makes perfect sense. Move along, cock-sucka'!

Weaknesses:    Breakage

Bottom Line:
    You get what you pay for.

Favorite Trail:   Randyboy's 500 lb. beast he calls his g/f

Purchased At:   Randyboy's gay-boy s

Submitted by RandyBoy a Cross Country Rider from Mammoth

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2010

Strengths:    Light, functional, best value and bang for buck, thieves leave it alone and won't steal it.

Weaknesses:    Non locking.

Bottom Line:
    Outstanding value, the Timex of bike racks that fit in 1 1/4" hitches. Slipstreams nicely behind my car, keeps my bike in the rear view mirror, where I can keep an eye on it. Doesn't pinch me too bad on MPG on my ultra efficient VW TDI.

This rack is a sleeper, looks like hell, no fancy name, just delivers performance without the fancy name dropping image. Not suitable for Homers or Bling Kings and Queens.

Favorite Trail:   JoeTruthsazz

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Saris

Submitted by pOOky mALibOO a Weekend Warrior from CV, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: December 28, 2009

Strengths:    Ease of use

Weaknesses:    No lock

Bottom Line:
    Great bang for the buck. Easy to setup and put on the SUV I have.

Purchased At:   Peformance Bikes

Bike Setup:   Ibis Mojo

Submitted by EduCat a Weekend Warrior from Greensboro, NC, USA

Date Reviewed: July 29, 2009

Strengths:    Ease of use; quick placement/remove of bikes; sturdiness; secure hold

Weaknesses:    needs a hitch lock

Bottom Line:
    Great product! I'm extremely happy with it. It transports my bikes without any hassels.

Favorite Trail:   Lake Brandt Greenway

Purchased At:   Performance Bicycle

Submitted by brad davis a Weekend Warrior from Charlotte, NC

Date Reviewed: June 9, 2009

Strengths:    Dude, i can't believe this rack doesn't get more reviews. I have all kinds, roof, heavy huge hitch racks, scratchy trunk racks that kill your bike, this one ROCKs and oh, btw, is the cheapest. It's just a simple rack. Love not having to take off my wheels, it's protected behind my car so little to no drag as well. Can load my bike in about 3 seconds, protects it, can take any kind of bike. Pretty much just keep in on my car these days, just be careful when you back up. I had a lock from my more expensive rack so no worries there. Bought a cheap rope lock if I ever leave my bike like stopping for something to eat.

Weaknesses:    You'll need to buy a hitch lock.

Bottom Line:
    Sofa King awesome rack. Cheap, works, and really light. Don't pull your pack putting in on.

Favorite Trail:   any

Purchased At:   perf

Similar Products Used:   All of them.

Submitted by crashtx1 a Weekend Warrior from Richardson, Tx

Date Reviewed: September 21, 2008

Strengths:    Fairly Easy to assemble, very easy to load bikes

Weaknesses:    Some parts flimsy, 2" adaptor hard to use, does not fold in toward the car.

Bottom Line:
    I purchased this rack to use on my 1999 Toyota Camry with a 1 ¼” hitch. First, the rack does take a few minutes to assemble, but is not too difficult if you follow the directions closely. I did notice that some of the plastic parts seem a little flimsy, but once it was all together it seemed fairly stable. The bolt that is used to attach the rack to the hitch does not come with a locking mechanism, and is not a standard ½” or 5/8” size, so you would have to purchase to accessory lock if you wanted some security. The bikes seemed fairly stable on the rack, though I did not drive around with them very much before returning the rack(see below). Also, the adaptor to use the rack in a 2” hitch is really cheap and somewhat hard to get lined up. It would be better if it actually screwed on to the rack before putting it in the hitch.

Ultimately I returned the rack because while it does fold in from the sides, it does not fold toward the car like the Yakima and Thule(which might explain why it is $200 cheaper). Since it does not fold up I could not keep the rack on while the car is in the garage, so I decided it would not work long term for me.

Favorite Trail:   Renner Road