Performance Cargo Case Bike Rack

Submitted by Tim a Weekend Warrior from Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: June 16, 2004

Strengths:    Good capacity, rigid case (given that it's plastic)

Weaknesses:    Dinky wheel. No side handle and reinforcement.

Bottom Line:
I am a tall guy with a 21" MTB frame, and I am just able to fit it into this great case. For average size road and mountain bikes, you should have no problem. I bought this case after getting a bent frame courtesy of baggage handlers. For flying, this is a GREAT case.

The case is separated into 2 wheel wells, with a thick plastic separator and foam padding to keep your wheels away from your bike frame. Like most cases, you have to take your handlebards and seat & post off, and loosen the stem to turn the forks sideways if you have a MTB (road bike forks might be narrow enough to keep as they are).

Inside the case are 4 steel tie-down points with nylon straps that enable you to "suspend" your bike in the case -- no part of the bike touches the outside of the case where it could be damaged when thrown by baggage handlers (through the plane window I saw my own case get tossed on the ground).

My only complaint is a lack of side casters and handle -- this case is BIG, and would be easier to move through the airport on its side. With the bike (and I usually put my helmet, shoes, and pack inside, too -- there's plenty of room), this puppy ends up weighing 75lbs. It comes with lockable side clamps, so you can protect your belongings.

Favorite Trail:   wherever I go...there I am (i.e. anywhere)

Purchased At:   Performance Bike