Outbound Industries Axis Bike Rack

Outbound Industries Axis

Submitted by Walter a Cross Country Rider from Knoxville, TN

Date Reviewed: January 26, 2006

Strengths:    Supports 4 bikes with extension. No wobble if hitch mount is tightened. Swing open for cargo door access. Built like a rock. Locks for the rack and the bikes work well and easy to use. Straps help reduce swing.

Weaknesses:    Takes some effort to install and remove since it is made from such heavy material. The bikes will sway if you do not use the included straps properly.

Bottom Line:
I bought my first one from a Land Rover dealer three years ago.(These sell branded my Land Rover as well.) It worked great until a Tahoe hit it going 35mph. The rack did bend, but it was so strong that the Tahoe did not make contact with my bumper. The Tahoe did not do nearly as well. As soon as I get my car out of the body shop, I'm gonna buy another one. I may even get three more to put on the front and both sides :). Just think, it works great AND stops a Tahoe in its tracks! Save some money though. Get this one branded by Bauer. It'll save you 200 bucks from the Land Rover price.

Purchased At:   Land Rover Dealership

Similar Products Used:   Several rear hatch/door mounted racks.

Bike Setup:   Which one? :)

Submitted by Jeff Bloomfield from Boulder, CO

Date Reviewed: October 9, 2001

Strengths:    EZ to use, allows me to have complete access to the rear of my vehicle. Very solid build, good quality. MADE IN USA!

Weaknesses:    A bit heavy if you take in on and off all the time. You loose your ability to tow anything.

Bottom Line:
I bought this rack second hand from a friend. He sold his SUV and bought a sports car. He loved it too and I think it's the best rack I've ever used. Even with 4 bikes loaded on it the rack opens easily. It's built tough, I should have this rack forever!

If you need a rear rack - this is the one to get!

Similar Products Used:   Nothing else that swings open, but folded down (Hollywood Rack)

Submitted by Barbie Whire a Racer from Sacramento, CA

Date Reviewed: January 10, 2000

Strengths:
Allows full access to the back of my SUV without removing my bikes. Can hold up to 4 bikes. Good, thought out engineering offers a sturdy rack that locks the bike frames securely and allows simple, hassle-free operation.

Weaknesses:
Heavy, and awkward if you ever want to take the rack completely off of the receiver hitch

Bottom Line:
Great rack for those who have SUV's and have a receiver hitch set up, that want access to their cargo space and are looking for a quality, well built product.

The Flume in Tahoe

1 Year

Rhode Gear trunk rack
Yakima roof racks

Submitted by Sven Aberhanson a Cross-Country Rider from Sacramento, CA

Date Reviewed: April 29, 1999

Strengths:
Very EZ access to the back of your vehicle (it's a receiver hitch type). Secure clamping device for holding bikes. 2 or 4 bike design. Lockable. Very heavy duty.

Weaknesses:
A bit pricey... but worth the convenience.

Is it availible anymore? I heard they were bought out by Yakima??!!!

Bottom Line:
This is one awesome rack!!! It is well built and will probably last me a lifetime. The convenience is AWESOME!... just loosen a Tee bolt, release the cable latch and swing it open. I have used mine EVERY day (I never take it off my truck) for the last... almost 3 years and it's still going strong without a single problem!I can't believe that I see people with $2,000 bikse held onto ther cars with a $75 rack... BUY A GOOD RACK!!! It's worth it!

I'm not telling you!

2 Years

Yakima fold down model (ever try to lift 4 bikes???!!)Graber -Cheapo stuff.Surco/OSI - JUNK!!!

Paid Spam: 1994 DiamondBack Axis TT titanium bike for sale

[url=http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showproduct.php?product=87724&title=1994-diamondback-axis-tt-titanium-bike&cat=39]1994 DiamondBack Axis TT titanium bike - Buy and Sell and Review Mountain Bikes and Accessories[/url]Read More »

Ritchey WCS 4-Axis to Ritchey WCS Trail stem.... worth it?

I have a 5ish year old Ritchey WCS 4-Axis stem on my MTB. Its always kind of bothered me that my mountain bike has the same stem as my road bike. Is that stem really stiff and sturdy enough for the application? I noticed the new-ish WCS Trail stem is not much heavier, and purported to be stiffer and ... Read More »

KS Axis 382 Shock Spring Replacement?

I currently have a Dawes Roundhouse 2200 full suspension mountain bike. The spring on the KS Axis 382 shock is way too stiff rated for 850lbs! I really want to purchase a "lighter"/softer spring for it rated at about 500-650lbs. I would like to stay away from air shocks because of their prices. Does ... Read More »

1996 DBR Axis R

I've been busy the past couple of days putting my Axis R back together, having stripped it after buying it back in October. It was collected and posted it to me by a retrobike member, for which I am extremely grateful to him. When it arrived the elastomers had gone, the BB was ropey, large chainr ... Read More »

DBR Axis TT decals ?

I'm needing a a set of decals for a 1994 DBR Axis TT - red outline. Does anyone know where to locate some or have exact reproductions made? I have been searching for a year.Read More »