North Shore Racks NSR 4 Bike Rack

4.2/5 (5 Reviews)

Incredibly compact, this rack uses our patented technology to carry mountain bikes in a fantastically efficient way. When not in use the rack folds up and out of the way. Adjustable in height, layback and setback it will fit virtually any vehicle, right out of the box. Maximum weight is 200lbs and for 2” receiver hitches only (anti-slope device included to eliminate hitch play).

Submitted by Cascade a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: May 23, 2013

Strengths:    Easy to load all different styles of frames on this rack . The previous reviewer must work for the competition . Anyone who is capable of putting gas in their car can quickly & easily load their bikes on this rack . If the rope goes , it easily & cheaply replaced . If you can tie your own shoes , you can secure the tires to the rack .

Weaknesses:    Can't use it for road bikes .

Bottom Line:
If you are tired of fighting to cram various frame types onto a traditional style rack , give North Shore Racks a look . But if you can't pour your own gas , or tie your own shoes , you are out of luck .

Submitted by Wolf

Date Reviewed: January 7, 2013

Strengths:    Seriously this is almost like a joke. The other reviewers must work for the manufactures or are the manufacturers of this product. If it has ANY strengths it is that its light weight.

Weaknesses:    Everything. It takes a HUGH amount of time to load. The back tires are held on with only rope. Better hope you know your knots. Overtime rope will frey and the sun will weaken the rope.

Bottom Line:
If this was a less expensive option it might be worth consideration, in other words put it on the market for maybe $140 and it might be worth looking at. There are much better options out there for much less money.

Submitted by dasnakenyc a All Mountain Rider from New York

Date Reviewed: February 27, 2012

Strengths:    Easily carry four bikes.

Bottom Line:
I am selling my rack because I sold my truck. 400 + shipping. send me a message.

Favorite Trail:   Diablo Freeride park

Purchased At:   direct from North Sh

Submitted by gblack a Weekend Warrior from Vancouver, bc

Date Reviewed: February 26, 2012

Strengths:    Very Sturdy, well built
VERY quick load and unload. Easily load each bike in under 10 seconds
4 years down and not showing any wear (even on the heavy-duty foam used to cushion the fork crowns)
Easily folds up for tailgate access (bikes on or off)
Folds out of the way (in half) when not in use to allow for unobstructed rear view
easily handles 4 freeride bikes on logging roads
looks sick
comes with great anti-shake mechanism that eliminates hitch wobble
NO BIKE-TO-BIKE CONTACT!
allows for full visibility from behind of tail lights/turn signals on vehicle, even on my ever-so-narrow 97 4runner

Weaknesses:    Weight of the rack. At 50lbs it's a little awkward to carry, but if you're using it it's on the car all the time anyways! Either way, it's about the same weight as the competition.
no securing mechanism for front wheel (spins freely). I just bought some clips and strapping from Fabricana and rigged some clips for under $10. A bungy works just as well

Bottom Line:
Amazing rack. I have recommended it to everyone I know. Traveling around B.C and Utah, I am always getting questions about it (a great conversation starter!) and I have nothing but good things to say. I have done a bunch of rough roads with this rack and I must say how well it keeps the bikes apart. Never have I had an incidence where the bikes scratch each other during transport (a problem all too common with my old racks).
and at around $500 for 4 bikes, it really is the best value out there.

Purchased At:   Manufacturer's Garag

Similar Products Used:   Yakima King Cobra
Maxxrax hitch mount rack

Submitted by Balfaguy a Weekend Warrior from Seattle

Date Reviewed: September 22, 2011

Strengths:    Fits with my pickup no problem. I can flip the tailgate down w/o having to adjust anything.
Super fast bike loading (like super)

Weaknesses:    Parallel parking is harder cause the bikes stick off the back (same with any hitch mount
No locking feature, but after getting the rack, I prefer to use my own system anyway.

Bottom Line:
In looking for a hitch mounted rack for my truck. I had some requirements.
1) Access to truck bed with zero effort
2) Ability to fully open tailgate with bikes installed with minimal effort (read: I don't mind flipping the rack down if bikes are on there)
3) Ability to put bikes on bike rack in less than 15 seconds. Why do I want it to take longer?
4) Burly
5) Cost effective

I put my name on the waiting list for this badboy. Got an email that they were ready and placed my order. Took about a week for them to ship it, but it arrived the day after it was sent (Seattle from Vancouver).
First impressions: The packaging was good and nothing was damaged during the trip - good. Powder coat looked very thick and durable. Rack feels very quality with not a bit of plastic on it (other than one cover to close the end of a tube). Some assembly required but it was 10 bolts I think. Took me <30 minutes. Need grease for the installation (FYI)

With the rack installed, but no bike, I can fully open the canopy glass and tailgate w/o having to flip a lever or toggle any buttons or pull any pins or wiggle any thing. Nothing. Just open it all like normal. With bike installed, the canopy glass won't fully open, but I can open it enough to open the tailgate. The rack also flips backwards very far by pulling one pin. Easy. I was not able to find another rack that worked with my pickup (GMC Sierra) like I wanted.

Bike literally loads in less than 15 seconds. Just pick it up by the one fork leg and the downtube, lift into place, pull rope around rim and put the pre-tied knot into its place. done. So fast. There is no lock with this rack, but I installed a cable using one of the bolts as an anchor and lock it that way. A lock would be cool, but I would almost rather use my own system as I see fit.

Price: Seems expensive up front, but the price was for a 4 bike rack. Any of the other ones are just as much, if not more. And not nearly as quality (from what I have seen).

Get this rack. It is dialed.
Doesn't work with road bikes and some other bikes(check their site for applications.)

Favorite Trail:   Duthie!