Mondial Hammerhead Bike Rack

Mondial Hammerhead

Submitted by Frederick a Weekend Warrior from San Diego, CA USA

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2002

Strengths:    Ease of installation. A lot of accessories and attachments for different kinds of sport/hobbies. Cheap price!

Weaknesses:    The fork mounts rusts like there's no tomorrow. Had to replace mine twice. The base screw sometimes will get stuck and is a real pain in the @$$ when attaching other accessories.

Bottom Line:
I've always like the design, the way it looks (especially with the fairing on!), and the different attachments to fit your needs. During Summer, you have attachments for bikes, kayak, etc. and during winter, you have for snowboards, skis, etc. I also like the fact that since my car is a lowered hatchback, I could easily lift my bikes and secure them to the roof my car without ladders and such. It simply looks cool when I have my bikes on them.

Favorite Trail:   Otay Lakes Trail

Purchased At:   Auto Parts Club (when they were still open)

Similar Products Used:   None. This is my first so far.

Bike Setup:   2 Mongoose MGX with a whole lotta upgraded parts.

Submitted by Andy Andrews a Cross Country Rider from Ann Arbor

Date Reviewed: November 5, 2001

Strengths:    easy to install

Weaknesses:    rust and breaks quickly

Bottom Line:
This rack sucks! I had one for less then a year and I had to replace the skewers and one of the locking systems broke! I replaced it with a x sport ( not the xpress) rack, another "cheap" rack and it has worked great. If you want cheap call performance and make them sell you the old x sport rack. I got mine for 150 and it takes thule parts

Purchased At:   cycle center

Similar Products Used:   X sport

Submitted by Gary King a Weekend Warrior from Vancouver, BC, Canada

Date Reviewed: April 6, 2001

Strengths:    Holds bikes securely (at the fork and rear wheel), which is the most important thing for me.

Aerodynamic (with round edges everywhere you look.)

Clean (bolts and fasteners to roof rack are hidden.)

Weaknesses:    Design requires storing the front wheel elsewhere, which could mean placing a very dirty wheel inside the car (I didn't bother getting the separate front wheel holder.)

Bottom Line:
I actually have two (2) iterations of the Hammerhead (the original HAMMERHEAD and the HH9.) Both versions work well, the advantage of the HH9 is that it uses stainless steel parts in the actual fork mounting area, which beats the original's rusted fork mounting area.

Overall, I like the overall concept, design and execution of the whole Mondial roof rack/bike holder system. It has served me well for at least 5 years. I bought the roof rack a size bigger than was spec'd for my car at the time that I bought the whole thing. Now, I can transfer the whole roof rack/bike holder system between our current two cars, which is a real bonus!! The only caution that I give is to make sure that you use the proper roof mounts (which Mondial supplies you with at least 3 different sets) and you hear the 'ratching' sounds when installing the roof rack...that's your guarantee that things are secure. One last test...push n' pull on the bike holder...it should feel like you are pushing n' pulling your car.

Favorite Trail:   UBC trails

Similar Products Used:   Folding trunk-mounted bike racks.

Submitted by Michael Mast a Weekend Warrior from Oak Park, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: September 10, 2000

Strengths:    Only rack I could find for a '92 Ford Crown Victoria (which has no visible rain gutters).

Weaknesses:    Clamp that holds rack onto car rusts away.

Bottom Line:
This rack is all aluminum and stainless steel, except for the clamps. These clamps just rust away, despite the thin rubber coating. This rubber coating came apart within a month of purchase. The metal then just rusted away. Why these aren't also stainless steel is a mystery.

Similar Products Used:   None.

Bike Setup:   Road

Submitted by David from Honolulu

Date Reviewed: July 1, 2000

Strengths:    Looks better than it is.

Weaknesses:    Clamps that secure rack to roof rusted through in less than one year.
Ratchet mechanism securing rack to roof defective - took for ever to be replaced.

Bottom Line:
This product is extremely hazardous. Unloading my kayak after a freeway trip from the beach, the rack lifted right off the roof because the roof clamps had rusted through in less than a year of use. The clamps are very flimsy compared to Thule clamps. I also had problems with the ratchet mechanism which slipped on one side. This could have resulted in the rack flying off. When I called Mondial about these problems, there was very little interest. It took for ever to get a replacement on the rachet mechanism - but even so when I did get the unit replaced, the rust still had plenty of time to destroy the clamps within the year. Don't buy this rack, and never drive behind anyone using one! (Note: One chili is the lowest possible rating)

Similar Products Used:   Thule roof rack - complete satisfaction

Bike Setup:   I used the roof rack to transport kayak, not bike.

Submitted by joe supafly a Weekend Warrior from burnaby, beautiful BC

Date Reviewed: July 20, 1999

Strengths:
easy quick release lock
sturdy

Weaknesses:
rusts on the fork lock

Bottom Line:
somehow the rear wheel clamp fell off my rack and i am struggling to find a replacement. if tit wasn't for that prob, and if you keep the lock nut oiled, she works awesome. mondial is very inexpensive compared to thule or whatnot, but it does a great job as well.

severed dick