K&S BikeTransPorter Bike Rack

4.82/5 (38 Reviews)

Unique Bracket: Fully adjustable, swiveling bracket with 9mm skewer offers fast, easy mounting.

Multi Rail System: Extruded aluminum rails allow positioning of bikes in unlimited locations to acheive maximum cargo space usage.

Storage rack: When not carrying your bikes in your vehicle it can double as a garage storage rack.

Submitted by George P a Weekend Warrior from Oakville ON

Date Reviewed: February 28, 2011

Strengths:    Versatile, secure inside vehicle bike carrier. I have used it in my 2000 Honda Odyssey since new and traveled all over N America numerous times, bikes always at the ready inside the vehicle and clean.

Bottom Line:
Great product!

The company seems no longer in business, and after 11 years I need the fittings for my new vehicle. Anyone know if parts are available? Why does no one else make a similar system?

Purchased At:   K & N Products

Bike Setup:   2-4 road or Mtn Bikes

Submitted by Randy a Cross Country Rider from Denton, TX

Date Reviewed: January 11, 2003

Strengths:    Versatile, easy to use, lightweight; holds many bikes, keeps bikes from touching, keeps them out of the weather. Rack can be easily removed, or moved to another vehicle without tools; holds any type of bike with standard skewers.

Weaknesses:    Can be a little pricey, but I got mine on e-bay; the 9mm skewers are plenty beefy, but the threads must be lubed every so often or they get pretty hard to turn.

Bottom Line:
This is an excellent rack. When I first got it, I used it in an Explorer, and it worked great. Then I got an F-150, and I contacted K&S; they sent me a pickup bed mounting kit FREE! And I did not even buy this rack retail. The kit comes with 4 stainless steel "D" rings that mount in the grooves of a pickup bed via stainless steel rivets, which are also supplied.

The kit also comes with nylon buckle straps, but I bought 2 heavy duty ratchet straps that attach to the "D" rings thus securing the rack to the bed of the pickup.
I can carry 4 bikes without touching in the bed of my truck, and squeeze them over into one side of the bed so I can carry lots of other gear.

When I go in a buddy's truck, I release the straps and put the rack in his pickup. When bikes are attached, the rack won't slide even without the tie down straps.

This rack has taken my bikes to Moab 3 times, to California, AZ, NM, OK, LA, an all over Texas with no problems at all. If you have an SUV or a pickup, I highly recommend this rack.

Favorite Trail:   Troy Bilt, Fruita, CO

Purchased At:   E-Bay

Similar Products Used:   roof racks, trunk racks

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Superlight

Submitted by Susan a Weekend Warrior from McLean, VA USA

Date Reviewed: November 5, 2002

Strengths:    Love the fact that my bike is tucked away inside the car, away from theives and without the possibility of falling off the rack on into oncoming highway traffic. Very easy to mount bikes.

Weaknesses:    None that i've found!

Bottom Line:
Great rack - not one problem. easy to install and use. arrived quickly from the manufacturers. worth every penny!

Purchased At:   Factory direct

Bike Setup:   Giant mountain bike

Submitted by Alex a Weekend Warrior from Hacienda Heights

Date Reviewed: July 17, 2002

Strengths:    It's versatile. To elaborate, it adjusts with ease requiring minimal exertion.

Weaknesses:    This product is too pricey.

Bottom Line:
I would recommend Rhode Gear's product over the bike transporter because of its price. The Rhode Gear product does not fail in comparisson to K&S' product in anyway. It is mucher more sturdy than the Bike Transporter and worth every penny.

Purchased At:   Manufacturer

Similar Products Used:   Rhode Gear produces a product that is parallel to this one. It's price is ~$100 less. I purchased this product through www.performancebike.com for $90 excluding S&H.

Submitted by Fred K from Madison, WI, USA

Date Reviewed: July 16, 2001

Strengths:    lightweight and small

Weaknesses:    need car large enough to accomodate bikes (e.g. - Ford Explorer)

Bottom Line:
At first I was dubious that this small, lightweight product, held down by 4 velcro straps would actually hold our 3 bikes well for our 450 mile trip. However, there were no problems whatsoever- not even an annoying jiggle. It was nice to arrive without bugs plastered all over our bikes as occurs with a rooftop unit. The completely adjustable front fork clips are an ingenious solution to being able to make fine adjustments in bicycle position, while in the car, so as to maximize the number of bikes you can carry - clamp the forks in place, leave the fork bracket to base screws loose, adjust bikes using "give" of brackets, then tighten fork brackets into position with supplied Allen wrench - simple and fast.

Purchased At:   Manufacturer

Similar Products Used:   Yakima - rooftop rack

Submitted by Paul McDonald a Racer from Doylestown, PA

Date Reviewed: December 18, 2000

Strengths:    Easy to install. Keeps bike stable even on uneven surfaces.

Weaknesses:    Quick release could be easier to adjust.

Bottom Line:
The only way to go if you have room inside your vehicle to stand up your bike. I just bought a second bike and am able to get both next to each other with no problem.

Favorite Trail:   Betzwood (Valley Forge to Manyunk)

Purchased At:   From Manufacturer

Similar Products Used:   None, this product had no real competition that I could find.

Submitted by Steve a Cross Country Rider from Hershey, PA

Date Reviewed: September 5, 2000

Strengths:    Simple to assemble. Lightweight, but sturdy. Flexible in terms of adapting to your needs. Good product support by K&S Products.

Weaknesses:    Can not attach a front fork that has a low-rider pannier touring rack attached to it.

Bottom Line:
This is one of those products that make you wonder why you didn't think of it yourself. Very simple design, but very versatile. I use mine inside of a 2000 Honda Odyssey. I installed the tie-down hooks into the floor of my van.

I do not keep the rack in my van because it is so easy to install it when I need to use it. Now it is merely a matter of laying the rack in the back of my van, tightening the straps on the ends of the rack, and installing the bikes.
My previous rack experience is with the roof mounted version from Yakima. While the Yakima roof mount is a great product, it takes much less time and effort to use the Biketransporter. When loading the bikes on the roof mounted rack in cold weather, my fingers would invariably become extremely cold. It would always be a race to get the bikes mounted, and the security cable locked, before my fingers would become numb.

I have used it to carry up to four bikes (two mountain bikes and two road bikes) at the same time, and I could very easily get at least five bikes inside. I use the rack to carry my road bike to work, where I can ride at lunch. I also use it for those times where my wife and I need to drive to the start of a ride. I am a clean bike freak, and it always irritated me that the bikes would get trashed if you carried them on top of the car and it began to rain. Now when I carry them inside my van, I do not have to worry about trashing the bike when it begins to rain.

An obvious advantage to using the inside rack is that you don't have to worry about vandalism. A less obvious advantage is that when you load your bikes onto your roof mounted rack, your neighbors always know when you are going away. Now, by carrying the bikes inside the van, I can load the van inside the garage out of everyone's view. Thus, when we leave for vacation, or for the day, no one has any idea that we are taking our bikes and may be gone for an extended period of time.

If you have the room inside your vehicle, and you want flexibility in positioning your bikes, this is the way to go. My rating is 4.00 Flamin' Chilis, and not 5.00, because I think the price is a bit high.

Purchased At:   K&S Products

Similar Products Used:   Yakima roof mounted racks.

Bike Setup:   Mountain bikes and road bikes.

Submitted by James O'Donnell a Weekend Warrior from Westerville, OH (Suburb of Columbus)

Date Reviewed: August 4, 2000

Strengths:    Solid. Good design. Flexible. Great instuctions that make sense and are easy to follow. Only tool required is included, a hex wrench which comes with hook and loop fastener so you will not lose it. Lightweight. Has the ability to expand the nubmer of bikes carried. Sized to fit the vehicle you specify. More than enough screws and nuts to assemble.

Weaknesses:    No real weakness noted. Instructions could include an explanation that the straps included with the transporter are merely to provide tie-down, and nothing exotic.

Bottom Line:
Excellent product. may seem pricy, but you will never need to by another one; it will not wear out. This is an excellent product for those with SUV's and vans. Being able to carry your bike inside provides security and protection from inclemnent weather.

Favorite Trail:   All of them

Similar Products Used:   Made one myself from red oak and Performance XPort fork mounts. No flexibility in homemade version.

Bike Setup:   Easy to adjust for caryying a variety of bikes. Thats why the hex wrench is fastened to the unit to you can adjust as needed.

Submitted by Martin a Racer from Lancaster, PA

Date Reviewed: May 11, 2000

Strengths:    Installs quickly and easily. Keeps your bike safe from weather, debris and theft.

Weaknesses:    If you change vehicles, you have to reengineer

Bottom Line:
I originally bought the bike porter for my 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee. It worked wonderfully, I could load three bike all of the gear a case of beer and three people. Well I now have a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee and good old Chrysler changed the roofline. They redesigned the body and put the spare tire under the rear deck thus lowering the headroom in the cargo area. I now have to remove or lower my seat in order to place my bike on the rack. This is a minor inconvenience but K&S had nothing to do with it.
My other problem was that the rack was to short because the spare tire has been removed. However, the great customer service reps had a simple work around. They sent me two posts to mount on the end of the rack so I could center the rack on the straps. Free of charge of course. If you have a jeep and you don’t feel like climbing on the roof to take your bike along, if you’re short, I’m 5’8”, or if you like the drive through window at Burger King this is the product for you.

Similar Products Used:   Roof rack

Bike Setup:   Ibis Alibi

Submitted by David a Cross Country Rider from Toronto

Date Reviewed: April 10, 2000

Strengths:    Light, fairly easy to install or remove. Keeps bikes inside vehicle.

Weaknesses:    Marginal fit. Annoying straps.

Bottom Line:
The first thing I did was call K&S and ask them if their unti would fit my RX 300 Lexus. They responded, yes, we have had other customers with the same truck. Well, based on THIS web site, I pulled the trigger. First, the unit came, finally, incomplete. It was missing all the hardware and the tie-down straps. I was doing a trip that weekend, but it didn't arrive on time. No sweat, these things happen.
So I get the thing together and fit it in my truck. Well it barely fits and my tie down hooks are too wide at the back! I'm not happy but it looks like it will do (barely) Then I hoist up a bike -- and it doesn't fit. I should have measured myself, but they assured me it would work fine. Not impressed. I guess I can use it with my pick-up -- its not worth it for me to send the thing back from Canada. My advice is buyer beware!

Similar Products Used:   Saris Bones.

Bike Setup:   2000 Santa Cruz Superlight, Fisher Joshua, Trek 8500sl

Submitted by Dave a Weekend Warrior from Poughkeepsie, NY

Date Reviewed: September 8, 1999

Strengths:
Bikes are inside, safe, clean and dry.

Weaknesses:
A little pricey.

Bottom Line:
I've taken two road trips with three bikes attached (750 miles so far) and everything has stayed securely in place. I'm using a Ford E350 1 ton van, which isn't a cushy ride. The van has two large, raised platform brackets for the rear seat and with the seat out, the carrier rests on these and I hold it down with C-clamps. It sure beats bungee cords and blankets for padding.

3 months

Submitted by Reggie Roaquin a Cross-Country Rider from San Diego, CA

Date Reviewed: July 30, 1999

Strengths:
Price and Versatility.

Weaknesses:
Simple

Bottom Line:
Simple design but works well! Went 4-wheelin in Sedona, Arizona and the bikes were solid! I like the fact the bikes are INSIDE the cabin not outside. The adjustable fork mounts are great, I could fit three bikes folding only one of the rear seats!Great price, great customer service, great product!

3 months

1999 Isuzu Rodeo LS 4wd
1998 Specialized FSR Comp
1999 Specialized Hardrock FS

Submitted by Coolhand a Cross-Country Rider from Chicago IL

Date Reviewed: July 28, 1999

Strengths:
Very clever design
Very good customer service
Easy Installation
Quick Deliver (ordered friday recieved tuesday)

Weaknesses:
Price is a tad high, but cheaper than a roof rack. Plus supporting the little guy is cool.

Bottom Line:
Built up and installed rather easily, comes with the allen wrench you need, and the velcro to attach it to the rack for easy adjustments to bike position. Replies to emails were very quick and the service was outstanding. They threw in a extra wheel strap without asking ( I bought 4 brackets and 3 straps for the rear wheel). I will review again in 6 months.

Walnut Creek

Thule
Rhode Gear

1999.5 Nissan Pathfinder SE Limited
1 hardtail, 1 FS rig, 1 road bike

Submitted by Scott a Cross-Country Rider from Rutherford, NJ

Date Reviewed: July 7, 1999

Strengths:
Product is extremely easy to install and remove from vehicle. Keeps bikes rock solid in rear of vehicle.

Weaknesses:
Product is a little overpriced for what it is. Directions are a little vague about the actual installation into vehicle.

Bottom Line:
I was extremely skeptical about this product when I first saw it. But now, I have absolutely no problems with this rack. Even on the worst terrain, absoultely no movement from the bikes. Rack is mounted in a 98 Jeep Grand Cherokee. I did need to call customer support to find how to install rack in the back due to the spare tire. Customer support is great, but installation instructions can use a little tweaking.

Ringwood State Park, NJ

Saris 993 hitch mount carrier

Trek 7000, Klein Mantra Race

Submitted by John a Cross-Country Rider from Salem, MA

Date Reviewed: June 25, 1999

Strengths:
Simplicity of design and use. Price (relative to the alternatives).

Weaknesses:
None apparent to date.

Bottom Line:
It has been some time since I have encountered such outstanding customer service. I learned of this product on this site on a Thursday morning. I e-mailed and called K&S before lunch. In the afternoon I had received a detailed e-mail and phone call back from Shannon regarding the price and suitability for my two SUV's. I mentioned to Shannon that I would be interested in using the rack for a trip to Maine over the weekend. She not only arranged to have the rack delivered to me, but also took the time to call around for a location that would accept an Airborne Express shipment billed to my account number to save me money on the cross country shipment. This location happened to be an hour drive away. I did receive the rack on Friday morning and had it for my trip. The rack is extremely well designed and conceived. It is reasuring to know that my bikes are protected from the elements and safely locked inside the vehicle. At the same time, it protects the interior by keeping the bikes from shifting around and leaves room for luggage, passengers and dog. Great product, great service.

less than 1 month

Thule roof rack, Trunk mounted racks.

Gary Fisher Joshua F2