Hurricane Forkup Bike Rack

3.25/5 (12 Reviews)

Fork Up provides a quick, safe way to transport a bike with a through-axle fork on your existing rack, allowing ample clearance for disc brakes and low hanging fork legs.

Submitted by not-real-fast a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: February 23, 2013

Strengths:    It does what it is supposed to do, allowing us to transport our fatbikes to awesome trails out of town.
And they look cool.

Weaknesses:    They are a bit expensive.

Bottom Line:
We bought two of them: a Fatboy for my Salsa Mukluk, and a Pugsley for my wife's... um... Surly Pugsley.
LBS quoted $90 each. (No way!)
Direct from Hurricane: $64.95 each. (Hurricane won.)
A very friendly person at Hurricane checked stock and took my order.
We received them via USPS the same week.
The dropouts fit my Thule fork-mount racks perfectly, and the QR fit our Enabler and Pugsley forks perfectly.
Quick and easy to use.
Somewhat expensive for what they are, but I seriously doubt I could have had them made elsewhere for less.
We car-topped the fatbikes 100 miles, had a great ride on an awesome trail, and drove 100 miles back home.
No issues.

Favorite Trail:   Whichever I have ridden most recently

Duration Product Used:   1 Week

Purchased At:   Hurricane Components

Bike Setup:   2013 Salsa Mukluk 3 with Answer Rove FR pedals

Submitted by cafam1 a Downhiller from New York, NY

Date Reviewed: July 10, 2011

Strengths:    seems strong

Weaknesses:    the gauge steel.

Bottom Line:
They claim it can fit all 20mm forks. This mount will not work on my 2010 Rock Shox Lyric. Works on my chaps fox fork but not my Lyrik. The steel they use is too thick so it will not clear the tabs on the fork. I would not force it on, you know 35$ part vs 800$ fork.

Favorite Trail:   any

Purchased At:   price point

Bike Setup:   turner six pack

Submitted by coxroach a Racer from Colorado Springs, CO, US

Date Reviewed: August 28, 2009

Strengths:    It works

Weaknesses:    a million other things would work

Bottom Line:
Think of how many ways you could elevate a metal tube 3 inches in the air. Now think of what ya paid for this thing. If you feel ripped off, you are correct! This would be a great project for metal shop 101. Amazing that someone at the US patent office put a stamp on this design. Honestly, go to a local machine shop and see if they can't make something that will work for a fraction of the cost.

Favorite Trail:   Falcon Trail

Similar Products Used:   nuts, bolts, screws, cables, fulcrum, wheels

Bike Setup:   Rocky Mountain slayer sxc 30

Submitted by kayakjamie a Cross Country Rider from Palo Alto, ca

Date Reviewed: July 27, 2009

Strengths:    Fits a 20mm axle to a standard rack

Weaknesses:    Does not clamp in well and rotates such that fork opening points up. Then the weight of the bike tries pull the fork up off the skewer. My tandem fell off the roof when it pulled out

Bottom Line:
I am looking for other options.

Favorite Trail:   Skeggs

Purchased At:   Rack n Road

Bike Setup:   Ellsworth Witness full suspension tandem

Submitted by sunshynjunky a Cross Country Rider from Austin TX

Date Reviewed: August 6, 2008

Strengths:    None

Weaknesses:    Poorly built

Bottom Line:
This product is a piece of c$#%!. from the out side it looks nice. This is a piece of pipe with a fat ugly protruding weld along a seam inside. I didn't use it. I didn't want deep gouges in my Maxel.
this thing is a real P.O.S.
Get the Yakima or Rocky Mount quick release

Purchased At:   bike store

Similar Products Used:   Rocky mounts

Bike Setup:   Turner RFX, Totem, Sram XO, I9 wheels, Code brakes

Submitted by will mcdonald a Cross Country Rider from portland, oregon, usa

Date Reviewed: August 3, 2007

Strengths:    its blue and it has 20mm ish hole for the thru axle.

Weaknesses:    the legs are to thin, not regular fork thikness, doesn't work with thule clamp down bike racks, this was very dissapointing for me. Also it cost me $3 more to buy it from hurricane then it was at the local bike store which i didn't relise carried it till it was to late. There is a pretty rough grove inside where the axle goes, guess it could mar up the axle over time, or do nothing?

Bottom Line:
get it if you need it and don't have a thule bike rack. I don't know why they didn't make the legs normal fork thickness.

Purchased At:   hurricane

Similar Products Used:   non

Bike Setup:   turner 5 spot, pike 454 air u turn.

Submitted by Roger Clemens a Downhiller from Beantown

Date Reviewed: July 28, 2005

Strengths:    Holds yer fork real tight. oh yea....

Weaknesses:    Doesn't have a built in bottle opener.

Bottom Line:
This thing is sweet and mine is blue. blue is such a rad color and if you take a knife you can cut the P off the end of FORK UP and it will say FORK U, then you can laugh about it with your friends and make out with hot chicks.

Favorite Trail:   porc rim, Moab

Purchased At:   BTI

Similar Products Used:   Bed of a truck.

Bike Setup:   ASX.

Submitted by Eli a Downhiller from Ithaca, NY

Date Reviewed: November 19, 2003

Strengths:    Great product, however hurricane is out of business now.

Bottom Line:
great product, a bit expensive for something i could make from some pipe and bar stock and a welder, but worth it. Unluckily prices are going to rise, and stocks diminish, as Hurricane is out of business.

Purchased At:   Cambria

Bike Setup:   Kona Stinky-DEE 2001

Submitted by Blake Roberts a Downhiller from Houston,tx

Date Reviewed: June 9, 2003

Strengths:    i wouldent know

Weaknesses:    i wouldent know

Bottom Line:
went to the website ordered it they said it was on back order and i have been waiting 5 months for it i still dont have it the company is f ucking s hit dont buy from them

Favorite Trail:   anything fast

Purchased At:   forkup webiste

Similar Products Used:   motercycle tie downs
they are alot cheeaper

Bike Setup:   2002 stinkey deelux w/monster t and allmost no stock parts

Submitted by big mike a Cross Country Rider from dallas

Date Reviewed: March 12, 2000

Strengths:    great idea good to know there is one available so my buds can go in my car, and if i ever go to 20mm. also, great to see a realistic, get-what-you-pay-for bike part/accessorie anyways! finally!

Bottom Line:
cool product. props to ya!

Favorite Trail:   any

Bike Setup:   xc carbon hardtail

Submitted by Greg a Downhiller from Orange County, CA

Date Reviewed: January 26, 2000

Strengths:    Can now carry my bike with a regular fork mount rack. My friends can drive!!!!!

Bottom Line:
This is the perfect product for any one who has a fork that will not work with fork mount racks. You can now carry your bike on a roof rack without worry. You will not have to drive every time because your buddies can't take your biek. This is a simple product that makes a huge difference in the simple task of transporting a bike.

Favorite Trail:   San Juan Trail

Similar Products Used:   Nothing else like it.

Bike Setup:   RS Boxxer

Submitted by Dave Rodriquez a downhiller from Newport Beach,Ca.

Date Reviewed: October 29, 1998

Bottom Line:

I have a Marzocchi Monster T fork,Which is a great fork,The only problem I had was transporting my bike(the fork has a thru-axle and does not fit onto a rack)that was until a friend suggested that I get a Fork up.The Fork up is a device that after removing the front wheel you put the Fork up between the dropouts reinstall the axle and tightening the bolts it is ready to mount on a fork mounted rack.The Fork up has faux dropouts that fit any rack,it also can rotate over a 100 degrees so that if your transporting a couple of bikes they can be staggered for handlebar clearance.This is a great prouduct that I would recommend to anybody who has a thru-axle fork...5 chiles for this one!

Anyone in Boise have a 15mm or 20mm Forkup adaptor I could use for a few days?

Whats up everyone? I am going home for Thanksgiving break from the 16th-22nd and I am taking my bikes + my buddies bikes with me. Normally I am carrying two bikes in my Thule trays and then my cross bike in the Rockymounts tray, but with us taking this many big bikes, I need an adapter to run o ... Read More »

Stripped Lefty / ForkUp adaptor -- advice needed

I have a [URL="http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=18597"]Hurricane Components Forkup adaptor [/URL]mounted to a Lefty Max -- and unfortunately the Forkup is not coming off. :-( The mounting bolt, or the female threads in the axle, feel stripped -- the pattern is ~one rotation ... Read More »

Forkup Adapter

I'm going on a road-trip tomorrow and want to put at least one bike on the roof-rack of my econ-box. I've called around and drove around to a few bike shops and nobody has a 20mm thru-axle adapter for sale, but I have heard the phrase "I can order one". That doesn't help me for this trip. An ... Read More »

lefty forkup problem

i just got a forkup for my prophet and it won't screw in at all. i can push the forkup half a inch for the end of the spindle and it will stop. i tried screwing in the screw but it won't catch the treads. do anyone have the same problem on the new lefty max 140 with the forkup??Read More »

Easy Forkup hack for Maverick

posted this on the Shocks forum, but thought it would be usefull for 5 Spot owners :) [url]http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?postid=252407#poststop[/url]Read More »