Hollywood Team Rider Bike Rack

4.18/5 (28 Reviews)

Hoolywoodracks Hollywood Team Rider

Submitted by jlitvak a Weekend Warrior from Springfield, IL. USA

Date Reviewed: July 7, 2008

Strengths:    This bike rack has held up very well over time. No problems other than the rubber strap holding down the tires wearing out. I replaced them with nylon straps which adjust and hold tighter. Several years after I bought the team rider which held two bikes, I bought the extender to hold another two bikes, Very good to travel with on long trips. This rack holds the bikes very steady and all other components are well made and have needed no replacement. I've had this system for 8 or 9 years now.

Weaknesses:    The only downside is the weight. With the extender on, the rack is cumbersome to put on and take off. If you have a bad back, this is a rack to stay away from. Otherwise, you probably can't find a sturdier product.

Bottom Line:
Especially good for long distance transport. Ease of use moderate with two bikes, awkward with four (using the extender). If you don't mind the weight, it is the only bike rack you'll ever need.

Purchased At:   Bike Store near Lak

Bike Setup:   Requires hitch. Slots in, then tightens with a few turns.

Submitted by Mike a Cross Country Rider from Long Island, NY

Date Reviewed: October 10, 2004

Strengths:    Holds bikes by the tires and seatpost and is rock solid!

Weaknesses:    Velcro straps that secure seat clamps, plastic wingnuts on tray mount and pivot pin it a tight fit.

Bottom Line:
One week ago I purchased a hollywood teamrider hitch rack for $250 from my LBS. Within moments of attaching my bike I knew that this rack blew away the 1up USA ultra rack! The hollywood rack has trays that the tires sit into and are secured with an adjustable tire clamping strap (I have the newer molded straps and not the rubber ones which are prone to breaking).

The seatpost is held by an adjustable support rod that folds down when not in use. The bike is so stable with this carrier! The only flaw I see in the hollywood teamrider is that the seatpost clamp has a velcro holder to secure the latch after it is closed. As a precaution I used a rubber bungee cord to wrap around the seatpost and attach to the adjustable support post(using the extra holes provides in top support bar)

I also replaced the plastic wingnuts on the tray holders with lock nuts and added more carriage bolts to each tire cradle mount (4 bolts per cradle) to make it nice and solid! I did notice that they drilled the pivot bolt holes off center and the rack appears to be at an angle coming out from the hitch. I plan to remove the security pivot bolt they used and install a larger bolt after I drill it out and make sure it is centered.

All in all it is a great rack that just needs a few modifications to make it even better and more reliable! This is a discontinued model! Unfortunately, their newest models do not look to be as strong to handle heavier freeride bikes as this one is. Another good rack to get if you can't find this is the sportsworks freeride/dh hitch mount.

-Mike

Favorite Trail:   Cathederal PInes

Purchased At:   Byron Lake Schwinn

Similar Products Used:   1up USA (original) hitch rack and the 1up USA ultra hitch rack.

Bike Setup:   Giant NRS and AC bikes!

Submitted by Frank a Weekend Warrior from Baltimore

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2004

Strengths:    Solid, steel, relatively easy to use

Weaknesses:    Design is not well thought-out. Velcro holding clips (that attach to the seat post) is all that prevents a catastrophe. It almost happened to me a couple of times. Parts began to rust after the first season. Wheel trays don't hold MTB tires well. Bikes will not align so one of the bikes may stick out beyond the cars mirrors. Contrary to the pix, it's almost impossible to take this down and open your hitch when bikes are on the rack. I also notice that Hollywood no longer makes this rack

Bottom Line:
There are better alternatives out there is design and security. Look around first

Purchased At:   Horizon

Submitted by Larry a Weekend Warrior from Charlotte,NC

Date Reviewed: December 1, 2003

Strengths:    Ease of Use, my girlfriend loads the bikes frequently.
bikw stays put togther, you unclamp the bikes and ride.

Weaknesses:    Heavy to mount to car, my Sebring sits low to the ground as is.

Bottom Line:
The rack is a little pricy, but is works great.
I travel up and down the east coast and never worry about the bikes on the back of the car at 70mph.

I'm 45 and just ride for fun, it would be nice if it were lighter. If you have a bad back, think again. Getting the rack on the car is the only downside.

I did loose one of the pins that secure the upright posts.
Customer Service had me on in 3 days from Califonia. good service.

Favorite Trail:   Savannah Ga Streets

Similar Products Used:   Department store strap rack on trunk

Bike Setup:   Giant Yukon, stock
Giant Bolder, stock

Submitted by Dave a Weekend Warrior from Antioch, IL. USA

Date Reviewed: June 20, 2003

Strengths:    Overall design quick simple and easy
Strength of the rack
Solid construction
Worth the price ($256.00 out the door)
No need for touch up paint for your automobile with this rack.

Weaknesses:    Instruction manual
Wing nuts for tire tray loosen
Pin used for tilt needs motivation to fit hole

Bottom Line:
I wanted a rack that was quick easy and secure and allowed for future growth. This rack was the only hitch mount system that gave what I wanted.
Strength
Easy Use
Secure (I hated when our $500+ bikes banged each other and the car)
Room for growth
The first weekend we used the rack we put over 600 miles on it. The rack was attached to our Expedition that was used on all different terrains (highway 75+mph, gravel roads, and some offroad) Bikes remained firmly attached at all times. I was a bit neverous for the first few miles given the instuction booklet is poorly written and parts aren't labeled and the pictures suck. But after 1 1/2 hours of assembly the rack worked great. Until I tilted the rack down for tailgate entrance. Then I found the pin hole is slightly smaller than the pin, but a hammer did the trick in fitting the pin.
BESURE to purchase both a hitch pin lock and a pin lock for the tilt pin on the rack. Hollywoods special head bolt and lock nut is a joke for security. Replace the tilt pin with a lock hitch pin for a 1.5 receiver.

This rack is the best one I have seen for we need / wanted from a rack and would recommend it 100%

Purchased At:   B&G Cycle

Similar Products Used:   Trek / Grabber strap racks

Submitted by Neil a Weekend Warrior from Calabasas

Date Reviewed: May 23, 2003

Strengths:    Solid, fairly easy to use

Weaknesses:    HEAVY, and cumbersone to setup

Bottom Line:
Two years and it is still heavy....... damn thing won't rust and get lighter! Still solid, still has all the parts still holds any bike I put on it and folds neatly and fairly easily. Straps can be a pain but they hold the wheels solidly, are are easy and very quick to get out of so I am on the trail quickly. I'd buy it again.

Similar Products Used:   Thule, Yakima

Bike Setup:   Two Road, Two Mountain

Submitted by Hil C a Weekend Warrior from Hercules, CA

Date Reviewed: December 24, 2002

Strengths:    * Great customer service.
* Bike goes on and comes off easily without any bike parts being removed.
* Contruction is solid.
* Made in USA
* only one of a few bike racks at the time of purchase when front wheel removal is not required and can hold any frame shape and sizes.

Weaknesses:    * No built-in lock (but you can use cable for security).
* cheap quality nylon tire tie down.
* wish the stem holder have some kind of memory height indicator.
* Hinge does was too long to bite on my tow pin and cause a bit of wobble, but calling customer service was easy enough for Hollywood to send me a free replacement within 2-3 business days and problem has been rectified.
* The belt of tire holder looks like it came from my backpack. Hollywood basically need more innovative tire and stem holder even if it needs to come as an option.

Bottom Line:
Overall the product is great.
If it is not because of the great customer service, the product would still be wobbling to a point that it will need to be replace. I think Hollywood just need to pay closer attention to some quality control and testing.
Otherwise, I highly recommended this product because it works as advertise along with great value.
I deducted a chili since the product did not come perfect but was corrected.

Bike Setup:   Specialized XC Comp with some upgrade.

Submitted by Jack a Weekend Warrior from New York, NY

Date Reviewed: March 29, 2002

Strengths:    Possibly the most overbuilt rack out there. I read the reports of breaking rubber tire ties. Good knews, the new rack ships with straps that should last a long time. Overall it can fit any bike.

Weaknesses:    It takes aproximately 20-45 minutes per bike to adjust everything (assuming you are not using the included wingnuts).

Bottom Line:
If you have a family and need to move different shape bicycles for the family and have a large vehicle with high ground clearance (this thing is heavy and extends nearly four feet), this might be the perfect rack for you. We have already run 40 miles of interstate and over some bad local roads. The bikes are solidly locked and don't move too much.

Purchased At:   cambriabike.com

Similar Products Used:   Thule and Rhode Gear hitch racks.

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Silk Trail; Trek Navigator; Trek Mountain Lion; Specialized Childs Bike

Submitted by Dan C. a Cross Country Rider from Prescott, AZ

Date Reviewed: March 29, 2002

Strengths:    -Works great for unusual frame geometries.
-Don't have to remove front wheel.
-Only touches bike at tires and seatpost - so my paint stays new-looking.
-The "no-wobble" system for securing the rack into the hitch receiver works great.
-Since this is a hitch mount, I don't get bugs plastered onto my bike, and I don't have any trouble lifting the bikes on to the rack, which definitely can't be said for a roof rack on a big, full-size SUV.
-MADE IN THE USA!!!
-Great price comparatively speaking (on sale right now at Cambria Bike Outfitters!)

Weaknesses:    -This rack is big, bulky, and weighs a frickin' ton! For those that leave their racks in the hitch reciever, it's probably no big deal, but I store mine in the garage after each ride, and it's a pain to carry. I'll probably end up hanging it from the ceiling from some hooks to store it, but it will be a groaner just to get it up there each time. I can't imagine how bad it would be with the 2-bike add on kit.
-The assembly instructions are very amateur - lots of typos, hard to follow, iffy pictures, etc. They do not convey a high quality air about the company. This could easily be fixed if they would just sit down and take their time to do it right.
-Bikes do rock back and forth a bit when they are mounted on this rack, due to the play in the mast linkages (the part that goes up to the seatpost). While this does no damage as far as I can tell, the claims that the bikes are rock-solid held in place are not altogether true. Just a minor annoyance while I'm looking in the rear-view mirror going down a bumpy dirt road.
-The tilt feature does not tilt back far enough for me to get my GMC Yukon cargo doors open when there are bikes mounted or the masts are up. (It does, however, allow the full swing-up type of tailgates on the new GMC Yukons to barely clear, so that's good if I ever upgrade the SUV.)

Bottom Line:
Overall, I am happy with this rack so far. We'll see how that feeling holds up. I wish it weren't so dang heavy, but so be it. It definitely serves me well, and the price was right on. This rack has the fastex buckles and 1" webbing to hold the wheels in the trays, rather than the rubber straps that previous reviewers have complained about. These straps should hold up well, especially if they are not sitting out in the sun while not in use.

This may not be the greatest rack ever, but I wouldn't hesitate to take it across the country with bikes attached, and it is definitely durable. The value for this rack is probably untouchable, unless the Saris B.A.T. rack is everything it claims to be. (I still wish I could have seen one in person without having to drive 100 miles to Phoenix.) I'll make a home for it in the garage to help solve the storage problems.

Not having to take the front wheel off and put it back on saves a little time and gets me on the singletrack quicker. I have yet to work out a lock/cable system to keep the bikes from running off with a thief, so I'd like to hear from others as to how you have approached this aspect.

Favorite Trail:   Chimbley Water Trail to F.S. Trail 347 nr. Granite Mountain

Purchased At:   cambriabike.com

Similar Products Used:   Since I have full-suspension frame with abnormal geometry (aren't they all?) I wanted a rear hitch-mount rack that I don't "hang" the bike from like most hardtails are held (you have to get one of those "bike beams" that goes from the stem to the seatpost - Nah). This ruled out probably 80%+ of the racks out there. I evaluated the Saris B.A.T. racks, as they claim to work with unusual frames, but there is no Saris dealer here that I could actually go to to try it out. I also looked at the Yakima Rim Roc, which is a pretty good idea, but I worry about rim damage a little, and it got some mixed reviews. Plus, it was considerably more $$ than the Team Rider. Hollywood also makes the fork-mount type of rear rack, but then you have to put the front wheel inside the car...

Bike Setup:   I've got a Specialized Stumpy FSR. My wife has an older M2 Stumpy HT. My dad (he's still going strong at 60) has one of those new fangled Giant Sedona DS full-suspension rigs, that he loves. It has some funky geometry, check it out, but it fits on this rack like a charm. So the range of fit is excellent with this rack.

Submitted by eelpie a Cross Country Rider from virginia

Date Reviewed: February 5, 2002

Strengths:    Follow-up to my previous review below.

Bottom Line:
Emailed Hollywood and described the situation with the strap wear. Within 24 hours, Rick from Hollywood emailed me back and said that the new, improved straps are on the way along with instructions....free!

That's what truly sets a great company apart from the losers...excellent customer service, a great product, and a strong commitment to back up that product. Thanks again to Rick @ Hollywood!

Favorite Trail:   avalon/patapsco

Similar Products Used:   see below

Bike Setup:   see below

Submitted by eelpie a Cross Country Rider from virginia

Date Reviewed: February 1, 2002

Strengths:    STRONG, unbreakable, very secure, made in the US, bikes don't touch, can be loaded up very quickly, very adjustable, tilt-down feature allows hatch access, everlasting, works on every type of frame, doesn't wobble, doesn't block tail lights, won't let you forget your bikes are there as you enter the garage (and even if you do, no problem)

Weaknesses:    HEAVY (but that's why it's STRONG), prone to surface rust, rubber wheel straps have short lives, a bit pricey but worth it

Bottom Line:
Overall, a bombproof rack that survived a slight rear-end collision (rack punched a hole in the perps hood without developing so much as a millimeter of play). You will feel very secure about your bikes staying on this thing. Doesn't wobble at all, even over rough terrain and speedbumps.

I put a small padlock through the hole in the hitch pin to lock it to my truck; that and some Kryptonite cables from the hitch itself through the bike frames and to the rack makes for a very theft resistant set-up: bikes are locke to the rack, rack in locked to the hitch, no fuss, no muss. You can load a single bike on it in about 30 seconds or less (not counting locking it up).

The rack will develop cosmetic rust over time if you don't remove and stow it after use (which, given its weight, is not a realistic option), but you can always touch it up with some spraypaint.

My only (slight) gripe is that the rubber wheel straps are starting to crack and will soon break. I've emailed HW for some replacement straps as an earlier poster did and will comment on HW's customer service as the situation progresses.

Real bottom line: if you want security, durability, longevity, and functionality, buy it!

Favorite Trail:   patapsco/avalon

Purchased At:   Pedal-N-Spoke

Similar Products Used:   Yakima Roc 3

Bike Setup:   Aeon Isis, 4" Marzocchi Z4, Fox R, Avid Mech discs w/SD 7 levers, Thomson post, KORE Elite stem, RF Turbine LP cranks/rings, RF BB, XT shifters/derailleurs/cogset/hubs, Azonic WF Riser bar, Mavic 317 disc, Panaracer Fire XC pros, SI Flight Trans AM

Submitted by Rob (The Notorious R.O.B.) a Cross Country Rider from New Jersey

Date Reviewed: November 30, 2001

Strengths:    Dynamic design, totally adjustable; able to carry all sorts and shapes and sizes of bikes. No front wheel removal. (Lefty!) Bikes are quick in, quick out. Oh, and you can also jack up the seatpost clamp and use it as an emergency repair stand at the trailhead!

Weaknesses:    It's EXPENSIVE...I don't like the cheesy little velcro strap that is a "fail safe" for the seatpost clamp. I'll have to think of something cooler; but it DOES work. The rack is heavy, but I leave it folded up on the back of my car all the time.

Bottom Line:
I bought this to alleviate the whole Lefty-fork adapter, takin' the freekin' wheel off every time thing. Plain and simple, it works, and I am VERY confident with 2 expensive bikes on it back there that cost more than the Hyundai they're attached to. So I give it 4 flamin' sphincter twinkies for the price, and a solid 5 for overall-----Buy it! It's Great!-------Rob

Favorite Trail:   Fair Hill, Md.

Similar Products Used:   I have a museum of crappy racks in my shed. I've tried 'em all!

Bike Setup:   Bad-A$$ 2001 Cannondale Jekyll 3000 w/ extras; all Ti hardware.

Submitted by El Mongo from Lawrenceville, GA

Date Reviewed: November 9, 2001

Strengths:    Fairly quick and easy to load. Customer support.

Weaknesses:    Overall design. First of all the thing is rusting. It is heavy and bulky. The locking mechanisms on the pins that stabilize the "masts" are breaking. The rubber straps are breaking.

Bottom Line:
I miss my Performance Export. When I bought my FSR, I had to get a rack that would accomodate the frame. I wish now that I had gone with a less expensive and simpler fork mount model. I spent alot of money on the bulky, heavy, rusting Hollywood rack to avoid having to remove the front wheel. What a mistake.

Purchased At:   Pedal Power

Similar Products Used:   Performace Export

Bike Setup:   Specialized FSR XC Pro

Submitted by Neil a Cross Country Rider from Calabasas

Date Reviewed: August 3, 2001

Strengths:    see below

Weaknesses:    see below

Bottom Line:
I sent THIS IS A FOLLOWUP TO MY LAST REVIEW:

I e-mailed Hollywood with my complaint, didn't hear back via e-mail but 3 days later (we're talking 72 hours) I had a package delivered to my door with 8 brand new straps. They are nylon webbing with heavy duty quick release snaps and a metal loop that can be crimped to the wheel trays. A little clumsy to work with at first but strong. There is no doubt that the bike is not going to move, and it's quick to get off so you are on the trail faster. Obviously Hollywood had a problem part and is doing the right thing. Replacing it quickly and with a better design. Kudo's to their customer service. Definitely five chili's.

Purchased At:   Sports Chalet

Similar Products Used:   see below

Bike Setup:   see below

Submitted by Neil a Cross Country Rider from Calabasas

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2001

Strengths:    Accomodates all sizes and shapes of bicycles, can keep the front wheel on, SOLID construction, fairly simple to use once it is set up properly. Hitch tightening mechanism is excellent, very little sway so I feel the bikes are safe on it. Easy to get the bikes on and off. The tilt works very well.

Weaknesses:    Rubber straps are fairly useless, of 8 (I have the 2 bike plus the extention)one has broken each time I've used the rack. Website said the rack comes with a hitch lock, mine didn't. Two LBS's I've spoken to said Hollywood is aware of the straps situation and if I make a request they will send better straps. I've e-mailed Hollywood to ask, I'll post a followup to comfirm that they did, and rate their customer service. With the 2 bike add on it is VERY heavy and cumbersome. Clamps for the seatpost are a pain to set up.

Bottom Line:
The rack works as advertised. I have a 2001 Yukon Denali and the 2" hitch rack fits perfectly with ample clearance for tilting in any direction. Bikes fit on with not a whole lot of effort once it's set up properly. It is solid, read HEAVY and probably over built but that's why I feel that my bikes aren't in danger when I'm on bumpy twisting canyon roads or the freeway and one of the reasons I bought it. Were it not for the straps I would give it a five rating but with straps breaking so quickly I down grade it to a 4. Price is high at a MSRP of close to $500.00 for the four bikes ($299 for the 2 bike basic and $199 for the 2 bike add-on)but it's not too much higher than the competition, and doesn't need adapters like their others so I rate it's price/value as a 5, at least as good as any other rack.

Favorite Trail:   The Hub, Chesboro, Mammoth Mtn

Purchased At:   Sports Chalet

Similar Products Used:   Thule, Yakima.

Bike Setup:   We have road (Masi & Stronglight), beach cruisers, and mountain bikes(Mtn Cycle San Andreas, Specialized FSR)All of them fit on the rack.

24iop team needs female rider

Due to illness we lost our female partner (my mom) and need a new partner asap. This is for 24 hours in the old pueblo ride feb 15 an 16. Thanks! Registration is transferrable for this ride at no $ cost to you.Read More »

Does any team need to pick up a rider for the 24 in the Old Pueblo

It's been a snowy winter up here in Denver so I'll be down in Tucson visiting family starting Tuesday the 11th for a couple of weeks plus getting lots of riding in, so if any team needs a rider I'm game. I'm 49, not super techie, raced 3 100 milers last year as well as the Dirty Kanza 200, a few lo ... Read More »

Knolly Team rider: Ryan Berrecloth at iXS Dirtmasters

[URL="http://www.pinkbike.com/news/IXS-Dirt-Masters-2012-Pre-Game.html"]LINK HERE[/URL] Team Issue Orange Chilcotin featured.Read More »

Team Colorado Single Track - Now accepting rider applications

For all you racer types, Team Colorado Single Track is now recruiting for the 2012 season. Sponsors include Bike Source, Specialized, SRAM, Clif Bar, Maxxis, Oakley and Chipotle. If you are serious about racing, and looking to join a team, PM me for more details. Our kick off meeting is Tuesda ... Read More »

24hr of Great Glen Aug 13/14: Rider needed for 4 man team

We have 2, four man sport teams registered and paid for this weekend's 24hr of Great Glen. 1 rider has bailed, so we are in need. Please email me if your interested. Massmtnbikn @ yahoo.comRead More »