Hollywood Sport Rider 2 Bike Rack

2.75/5 (4 Reviews)

The Sport Rider fast-loading ?platform style? hitch rack fits almost any bike using a padded universal top clamp and adjustable wheel holders. Simply drop the bike into the wheel holders, then slide the clamp down onto the frame to secure the bike. Inclu

Submitted by Tony a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: April 29, 2012

Strengths:    Easy assembly, easy bike loading.

Weaknesses:    Plastic hitch adapter for 2" receivers, need a wrench to tighten threaded lock pin in hitch.

Bottom Line:
Good carrier overall. easy set up, fits nice on our Subaru Outback with the 2" hitch. Like the fact that it folds to being carried in one hand, and will fit in the back of the car folded. Quickly folds.
Minimal bounce, found the bikes to stay very secure.
Don't like the plastic hitch adapter from 1.25 to 2", could be tougher. The threaded hitch pin also keeps things tight, but slows install and removal. Had no trouble with spirited driving or over bumps.

Purchased At:   Wheel & Wrench, Cuy

Similar Products Used:   Cheap POS ebay chinese $40 hitch mounted rack. Junk. Huge. Does not fold.

Bike Setup:   Trek 5.2 stock, Raliegh comfort, and 2 older-than-dirt foreign road bikes.

Submitted by Evan Grissom a Weekend Warrior from Northridge, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: April 29, 2009

Strengths:    It holds four bikes & folds up when not in use.

Weaknesses:    wobbles to much, no matter how much you tighten the clamp arms they will loosen and you could loose a bike on the road. The pads on the clamp arms tore apart the first time I used it which resulted in a dent in my top tube and worn off paint on all my bikes.

Bottom Line:
I am now selling the rack to buy another brand. I would not recommend this rack.

Favorite Trail:   The Cab

Purchased At:   Bicycle Den

Similar Products Used:   Yakima

Bike Setup:   Mountain, Road, and Commuter bikes.

Submitted by C Silvia a Cross Country Rider from Plantation, FL, USA

Date Reviewed: June 30, 2008

Strengths:    Easy to load and unload bikes. Sturdy construction.

Weaknesses:    Only problem so far is one of the adjustment knobs broke, but a 3 minute call to Hollywood and a new one is on the way.

Bottom Line:
Great rack for the price. A friend recomended Hollywood to me and I don't regret my purchase. Great customer service as well. The true test will be next month when I use it on my 2000 mile drive to NC and back. I have great expectations though.

Favorite Trail:   Markham Park

Purchased At:   Alex's Bicycle Pro S

Similar Products Used:   Bell trunk rack.

Bike Setup:   Turner 5 spot, Mavic wheel, Sram cassette& rear derail, Avid BB7 brakes, XO grip shifts, XT cranks and frnt derail

Submitted by Sara a Cross Country Rider from Springdale, UT USA

Date Reviewed: June 14, 2007

Strengths:    Easy to load bikes onto rack
Rack is lightweight - easy to install on car

Weaknesses:    Flimsy construction -- see below

Bottom Line:
We got this rack because we pined after the original sportworks rack, which is no longer available, and we didn't like the design modifications thule had made. We have a 2 inch hitch on our 4Runner so we used the plastic adapter that comes with the rack. And yes, it's plastic, not metal. Design flaw #1. The rack doesn't appear very durable but works fine if all you ever drive are paved roads. Our first off-road test was the road up to gooseberry mesa near zion national park. This is a ROUGH road -- washboarding, ruts, protuding boulders -- things get bounced around alot. We had 2 bikes loaded on the rack and got up to the mesa ok although we noticed that some of the rack parts (the section that attaches to the bike trays for instance) had loosened considerably. That's when we realized that there were no locking washers anywhere. Design flaw #2. On the drive back down, we hit a rut pretty hard and the metal arm that extends from the hitch bent down so the bikes were now practically scrapping the road. So instead of being perpendicular to the road the bikes were now tilted backwards at a 45 deg angle to the road. How lame is that. This rack is completely unsuitable for off-road travel although as I mentioned above, it works fine for paved road travel. Too bad there is no zero flamin' chili.

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Yakima

Bike Setup:   Santa cruz superlight, fox front and rear shocks, avid brakes
Santa cruz juliana, manitou front shock, fox rear shock, avid brakes