Hollywood Road Runner 5 Bike Rack

4.57/5 (7 Reviews)

Hollywood Road Runner (HR 520) 5 Bike 2" Car Receiver is built to safely and easily transport up to five adult bikes. Bikes are held in place with durable rubber bike stabilizers with integrated tie down straps; an anti-sway tiedown bar prevents them from

Submitted by joeygott a Weekend Warrior from Atlanta, GA USA

Date Reviewed: January 3, 2010

Strengths:    Well built, well engineered, user friendly, works perfectly.

Weaknesses:    none that I can see.

Bottom Line:
This rack is unbelievable. It works so much better than I could have ever hoped. I love it. Took 4 bikes on 1000 mile round trip and not a peep back there. I never heard any noise, no bike movement. The NO WOBBLE handle works perfectly. And like most, the mast tilts. I also like the additional bar underneath to hook straps/bungee to wheels to keep from moving.
I haven't seen another rack system like this that works better, anywhere, at any price.

Favorite Trail:   North GA Mountains

Purchased At:   private party

Bike Setup:   Full suspension mtn bike

Submitted by UpRocks a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: September 21, 2008

Strengths:    Very strong rack. I have the 5 bike version to accomodate the entire family.

Multiple trips on winding NC/SC roads fully loaded with no swaying. The "no wobble" system tightens the rack against the hitch pin for a very rigid system. I am not a gentle driver.

The same key works the included hitch lock and the cable lock. Comes with plenty of straps.

Weaknesses:    No Complaints

Bottom Line:
If it was stolen, I would replace it with the very same rack.

Purchased At:   eBay

Submitted by Cary a Weekend Warrior from Lafayette, CA

Date Reviewed: October 7, 2003

Strengths:    Easy to mount, fits almost any bike, very stable.

Weaknesses:    Slower to mount bikes than a sportworks rack

Bottom Line:
This rack is wondeful. I started out trying the Sportworks rack on the back of my Landcruiser. It stuck out 4 feet, was crooked, and I couldn't see it when I didn't have a bike on it. It also only held 2 bikes. I really liked the idea of the rack, but in real life couldn't stand it.

I then tried a Yakima Terrafirm. The Yakima sucks. The stable cradles are near impossible to fit a small bike on (my wifes) and were not stable with my road bike, not to mention it would not hold a full suspension bike.

I finally decided to try this rack. It is unreal. Easy to put on, stable at 95mph, and it holds almost any bike. My friends Jamis Dakar was no problem. With 3 bikes on, the rack does not move. I was totally sold when I saw that Downieville outfitters uses the 5 bike version on their shuttle, same rack for 3 years and they say they have never had a problem.

If you are looking for the 4 bike version of this rack, AEbike.com sells them for about $150. Nice guys.

Similar Products Used:   Sportworks, Yakima Terrafirma, Yakima Roof Mount

Bike Setup:   Fisher Kaitai, Sid Fork

Submitted by Andy a Weekend Warrior from kingston, PA

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2003

Strengths:    Very Heavy duty! Easy to remove from car, won't scratch the car like trunk racks and even roof racks do.

Weaknesses:    None major, but to be picky: slightly more difficult to see as clearly thru rear window showing tiny bits of rust near welds, what kind of name is "Hollywood" for a bike rack company?

Bottom Line:
After getting a Marzocchi Z1 with the QR20 I was getting sick of the hassle of removing the wheel (more than just a conventional QR) and having to put the adapter on just to use my thule roof rack, so I decided to buy a hitch rack. I even installed a hitch on my car just to use a hitch rack.

I got the hollywood rack simply because it was the only one at the shop with a 1 1/4" mount and didn't want to have to get an adapter for my 2" reciever. I was happy to see that it included 2 locks - one for hitch pin & one for steel cable that's also included, also includes 3 long nylon straps (for strapping the frame to the bottom arm)

This rack works great - so simple yet so effective. the crank on the bottom works great to minimize the movement from the rack. The rubber blocks with nylon straps work great to hold the bike as well as the arm underneath that keeps the bikes from swinging. I have gone on long freeway trips as well as rough roads without the bikes banging one another or the car.

I've had my K2, a specialized FSR, a RockMt pipeline, a Kona Mokomoko, and a Santa Cruz Heckler (all different FS frames) on the rack, and all fit just fine. Although the first time for each takes some time to find the best spot on each frame to mount it.

I still have my Thule roof rack, and have since gone back to using a conventional QR fork, but I will continue to use my hitch rack since it is much easier to use, doesn't put tiny scratches in my roof from the rubber pads (can't get away from that with a black car), and allows me to use my sunroof without the noise of the thule fairing.

Favorite Trail:   PA game comm. took them away

Purchased At:   B & B Bike

Similar Products Used:   Rhode Gear trunk rack, thule roof rack, and a simple yet great rear hatch mount (can't remember the mfg.)

Bike Setup:   K2 Evo with misc. bits, but that's probably not relevant for a rack review.
More relavant would probably be Car Setup: 02 Olds Alero with Hidden Hitch brand hitch.

Submitted by DownhillSteve a Cross Country Rider from San Francisco, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: May 4, 2001

Strengths:    Can hold my Santa Cruz Superlight without scratching the anodized frame. Heavy duty.

Weaknesses:    HEAVY. Takes a while to put it on. Takes a while to put the bikes on it. Rubber straps break.

Bottom Line:
I had a Yakima Getaway which I liked a lot better. It was light and very easy to put on/take off as well as to load the bike on and off.

The redeeming quality of the Hollywood is that it holds the bike by the wheels and the seat post which I needed because I have a full suspension with an anodized frame that scratches so I couldn't use a regular rack that grabs the frame.

Because of that the Hollywood is my only choice and it does work. I find it to be very heavy and hard to carry (I live in the city so I need to transport it from a shared garage through a small hallway and out to my truck). It also takes longer to put on and longer to load bikes on than the Yakima did.

It does work but if you have bikes with frames that fit on a regular rack I'd get something like Yakima hitch rack.

Favorite Trail:   Skeggs

Similar Products Used:   Yakima Getaway hitch rack.

Bike Setup:   Disc brakes. Z1 Marzocchi shock. Mostly XT.

Submitted by Chris McLaughlin a Cross Country Rider from Rancho Santa Margarita, CA

Date Reviewed: July 19, 2000

Strengths:    - Very well made
- Easy to mount (like most hitch racks)
- Tension control to prevent rack from vibrating in the receiver
- Lower anti-sway bar to securely mount bikes
- Can open tailgate window without pivoting rack
- Tailgate completely lowers when rack is pivoted away from truck (Suburban)

Weaknesses:    - Can be difficult to mount full-suspension bikes
- Rack is somewhat heavy
- Loading/unloading bikes could be quicker (however, much easier than loading them in the back of my truck)

Bottom Line:
I was looking for a hitch rack that was durable, would mount two or three bikes, and was fairly easy to use. (I'm lazy...I didn't want to remove a wheel or try to raise my bike onto the roof of my truck.) I also ride three or four times a week, but my wife uses the truck when I'm not riding, so I also wanted something that I could easily remove when it wasn't in use.

The Hollywood rack meets all of these requirements. It's a hitch rack which makes it very easy to put on and take off. It is a bit heavy, but I would rather have my bike and my friends' bikes hanging on something well built than something lighter. I also like the tensioner that, when tightened, keeps the rack from vibrating in the hitch receiver. The rack arms can be raised and lowered, so if you leave the rack on, but don't have a bike mounted, you can drop the arms and save 2' or so (not a bad thing when your car already sticks out of most parking spots).

If you have a full suspension bike, most likely you'll have to get a little creative the first time you put your bike up on the rack. And, it does take some extra time to thread the pull strap to the bottom arm to keep the bikes from swaying. However, once all the bikes are up and strapped down, they're up there to stay. I've done some freeway driving, 4x4ing, etc. and the bikes haven't moved or banged against eachother. Haven't experienced any sliding with the rubber mounts as previously reported, but the rack's new, so I'll let you know if something changes.

Overall, a very good rack that meets my needs and is built to last. Can't really say anything bad about it.

Favorite Trail:   Whiting Ranch

Bike Setup:   Specialized Enduro Comp

Submitted by Jim a weekend warrior from Orange Park, FL

Date Reviewed: November 12, 1998

Bottom Line:

PROS:
The Hollywood HR310 is an extremely HEAVY duty bike rack; well made; thick steel construction; folds flat for storage; tilts (by removing a bolt, slight inconvenience); bikes are easy to load; will accomodate a variety of frame designs (like my wife's miniature GT LTS); I've been using it once a week for over a year, still looks new, although I store it after each use; once bikes are loaded correctly, they are very secure, they won't sway and hit each other; the rack also has a crank to make it fit tighter in the receiver so it doesn't wobble.
CONS:
The rubber blocks would not stay in place. When I arrived at the trailhead, the bikes had shifted quite a bit. Mainly due to wind resistance since they stuck out from the sides of my narrow Nissan. I was able to solve this problem very cheaply by separating the rubber blocks with pieces of 1 SCH40 PVC pipe. A 10 foot long piece cost only 99 cents. I just positioned the rubber blocks directly over the anti-sway eye-bolts and cut the PVC to fit the gaps between. You could paint the PVC spacers, but, I just left them white. I'd give it four Chilis.