Hollywood Pro Rider Bike Rack

4.82/5 (22 Reviews)

Pro Rider securely holds two bikes with 9mm quick-release fork mounts and rear wheel trays with ratcheting straps. Free from points of contact, your bike frame is completely protected from damage.

• Patented “No-Wobble system hitch system” eliminates slack between receiver hitch and rack without the use of tools
  • Tilts down for easy cargo access, folds up when not in use.
  • Includes locking hitch pin
  • Optional wheel holders (#916) sold separately.

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by dchamp a Cross Country Rider from Westminster MD

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2009

Strengths:    Well constructed, easy assembly. Securely holds bikes. Does not touch vehicle, no risk of scratching vehicle. Great alternative to roof rack system (probably better IMHO) Great for any type of road or mountain bike. Quick, easy installation. Lock included to secure rack to hitch! Warranty/Customer Service is TOP KNOTCH!!!!!!!!!

Weaknesses:    Wheel holder not included. Allen bolt is soft and shallow, be careful when torquing. Set screw can loosen, USE LOCTITE. Skewers do not lock. I lost one fork mount assembly, other one came loose.

Bottom Line:
    I would purchase the rack again and again and again!

I set the fork mounts to the proper position, then drilled through the hole and rack, ran a stainless steel bolt with nylon lock nut. Also replaced the skewer lock bolt with a stainless steel bolt and nylon lock nut! It is not going anywhere!!!!!!!!

Thank you Hollywood for being understanding and non-argumentative about the fork mount coming loose!

Favorite Trail:   Hashawa

Purchased At:   Nashbar

Similar Products Used:   Saris Roof, Thule Roof, Mondial Roof

Bike Setup:   Haro 29er Single Speed. Vassago Fisticuff Geared. Rocky Mountain Element TO Custom.

Submitted by cliff nimrod a Weekend Warrior from long beach, calif. usa

Date Reviewed: April 4, 2007

Strengths:    very strong and sturdy even with a two bike extension.

Weaknesses:    heavy

Bottom Line:
    hitch mounted bike racks don't get any better. very solid feeling even with four bikes mounted using the extension.

Favorite Trail:   chino hills, ca

Purchased At:   2 wheeler dealer, brea, calif.

Similar Products Used:   trunk mounted bike racks

Bike Setup:   use rack mostly with road bikes. sometimes use with mtb's

Submitted by Anne Stockley a Cross Country Rider from San Diego, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: November 18, 2005

Strengths:    Bikes don't protrude from sides of a compact car. Solid fork attachment.

Weaknesses:    Had to make custom spacer to prevent the rack from binding on license plate/ bumper.
    !!!!!BOLT SHEAR!!!!!

Bottom Line:
    I have been very happy with this rack for a 1.25" receiver, small vehicle. I am posting this to warn other owners and potential owners (and the manufacturer) to replace/change the cross piece attachment bolts. There are two approx 3 inch x 3/8ths (or 5/16th??) bolts that attach the rectangular bar coming from the receiver to the perpendicular bar that the bikes are mounted on.

!!!!!These sheared 2 weeks ago at highway speeds!!!!!!

The bikes sustained relatively little damage but only because they were chained to the car and after the initial bounce, the detached perpendicular bar with bikes on top was dragged upright along the road surface behind the car. The damage included the handlebar end on one bike (where it bounced), the loss of the brake pads from impact on the other bike and a minor bodywork ding to the car bumper. There was a following vehicle and the accident could easily have been much more serious.

!!!!!!!!!!Please replace these bolts!!!!!!!!!!!

Similar Products Used:   Some crappy trunk mount

Submitted by Glen Stiles a Cross Country Rider from Woodland, CA 95695

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2005

Strengths:    Very little sway, secure mounting due to the fork mount design, the bikes don't stick out too far from the side of the car, inexpensive compared to competition. Hefty steel construction.

Weaknesses:    No locks included, will only hold two bikes.

Bottom Line:
    Get this rack if you want a hitch mount rack that is solid, inexpensive, and well-engineered. I didn't want a roof mount rack for my compact sedan because of the issues with wind noise, poor gas mileage, hassles with washing the car, and the "oops, I forgot I had the bikes on top of my car and pulled into the garage factor." I also needed something for a 1-1/4" hitch. This is built very well. The bikes stay put, there is very little sway, and it looks like it is built to last. The fork mount design is brilliant, and the key to keeping the bikes from bouncing and swaying at freeway speeds. You do need to buy a cable lock to secure the bikes, and a lock for the hitch. Check it out, I'm very pleased with my hollywood rack.

Purchased At:   racknroad.com

Similar Products Used:   1upusa rack

Bike Setup:   Bontrager Race, Specialized FSR, Trek 5200

Submitted by Brian a Weekend Warrior from Atlanta

Date Reviewed: June 22, 2005

Strengths:    Fork Mount. Foldable. Quality construction.

Weaknesses:    Discontinued product. Fork mount is not for everyone.

Bottom Line:
    Heads up to anyone thinking of buying this rack. This rack has been discontinued by the manufacturer. Not sure how many of the 575 series are left, but I just ordered one out of the two 570's (1 1/4" Hitch mount) that they had in stock.

Maybe it's because I've had a roof rack until now, but I prefer the fork mount style and the price is hard to beat.

Favorite Trail:   Pisgah National Forest Trails

Purchased At:   RackNRoad

Similar Products Used:   Yakima Roof Racks (11 years)

Bike Setup:   Klein Mantra

Submitted by Lance a Downhiller from Redmond, WA

Date Reviewed: April 18, 2005

Strengths:    ease of installation, quick mounting, does not rattle, bike is sheltered behind my vehcile and does not get road grime or beat up while driving.

Weaknesses:    no hitch lock (easy fix)

Bottom Line:
    great rack! I don't have to lift my bike over my head to put it on a roof top rack, it is easily securable (I put a cable lock around my bike to the hitch). My bike does not sway or rock when it is on and I am moving down the road. I love it. Highly recommended.

Favorite Trail:   fast and dirty ones

Purchased At:   sportsrack.com

Bike Setup:   Spec Enduro Comp 130

Submitted by BVBR a Racer from Ocomukowonowaukesha, WI

Date Reviewed: March 31, 2005

Strengths:    It holds my bike securely. Easy install. Easy removal.

Weaknesses:    Hard to find.

Bottom Line:
    A great rack at a great price. I needed a rack for my new minivan and didn't want a roof rack since the bikes would be much too hard to reach. I needed a fork mount rack that: (1) didn't touch the paint on my car, and (2) didn't touch the frame on my bike. This was really the only respectable choice I could find that fit those requirements.

It holds bikes very securely. The bikes ride in the vehicle draft so MPG is not affected. I arrive at my destination without a bike full of dead bugs.

Purchased At:   Michaels Cycles, Janesville, WI

Similar Products Used:   Yakima roof racks. Back of pickup truck.

Bike Setup:   SC Superlight

Submitted by Colin P a Cross Country Rider from Phoenix, AZ, USA

Date Reviewed: December 28, 2004

Strengths:    It secures the bikes very well with no contact to vehicle.
    The no wobble hitch pin is really nice.
    With the bikes behind the car, wind drag is reduced.

Weaknesses:    Requires a hitch. (if that is a weakness)

Bottom Line:
    I wanted a rack that would not touch the paint on my vehicle. Any roof racks available would sit on the paint which I did not like. The Pro Rider II is a great alternative as it still mounts the bikes as securely as a roof rack, but does not touch the paint on the vehicle. As an added bonus, the bikes are behind the car which reduces wind drag and keeps the bikes cleaner.

It's a great product and I look forward to using it for many seasons.

Favorite Trail:   50 Year Trail (Tucson, AZ)

Purchased At:   Hitchsource.com

Similar Products Used:   Saris Bones 3 Trunk Mounted Rack

Bike Setup:   Intense 5.5, Minute 2:00, Shimano XT DriveTrain, Avid Mechanical Disk Brakes, Chris King Headset and Hubs, Mavic 819 Rims.

Submitted by dave r a Weekend Warrior from puyallup, wa

Date Reviewed: September 9, 2004

Strengths:    Overall, beefy tubes, well built, doesn't sway a whole lot. So far so good.

Weaknesses:    Not any thus far except that basically I had to buy it to try it. I couldn't find any shops around that had one to look at - so I basically made my decision from these reviews. Good stuff so far.

Bottom Line:
    Over all, I give it 5 chili's. It does sway just a tad but I'm not really concerned with it. I think the only thing the yakima may have over it is the reflective tape for extra safety - it does stick out a bit from the back of my Xterra. No biggy.

Favorite Trail:   sKOOKUM fALLS

Purchased At:   BIKE SHOP

Similar Products Used:   No hitch mounted, only roof mounted and pick up truck bed racks

Bike Setup:   NRS 2, 2002

Submitted by Chris Lopes a Weekend Warrior from south Kingston, RI, USA

Date Reviewed: December 30, 2003

Strengths:    No wobble, bike fit's securely, keeps bikes away from the car, when on the rack the bikes don't scratch eachother, Looks great, easy to put on and take off, overall just great!

Weaknesses:    The only potential weakness is that my friends with 12mm axle's can't put their bikes on it. I haven't been able to find an adapter to take care of this...

Bottom Line:
    I'm extremely happy that this was the rack I purchased. After reviewing the ratings on this site I decided to go with this rack and boy am I satisfied. I like how easy it is to put on or take off the car, as well as how stable it is!

Favorite Trail:   Acadia-Breakheart

Purchased At:   Ebay (used)

Similar Products Used:   Yakima

Bike Setup:   Red Foes FXR W/ Ti Curnutt, Mavic Crossmax UST, Avid Mech. disc, Race face cranks & stem, Fox TALAS rlc...

Submitted by Carlos a Weekend Warrior from Florida

Date Reviewed: November 4, 2003

Strengths:    Stability, ease of use, not too heavy to remove every time. Has a nice loop to lock the bikes to. Very solid skewer. Low drag. Has a mechanism to remove wobble from the hitch.

Weaknesses:    No easy way to secure. You can either use two hitch locks, or get a small chain or cable and lock it to the hitch. Instructions suck. New tire straps suck too.

Bottom Line:
    This is a great rack. It is simple to put together and I remove the rack every single time. I have a small sedan with a Class 1 hitch and it fits fine. It has a lever that tightens a loop around the hitch pin and removed any wobble from a loose fit. With my small car it keeps almost all the bike behind the car, except for my large size bike where the rear wheel extends a few inches to the side, but not beyond the side mirror. This rack solved the problem I had with too much drag from using a roof rack. The rack is very solid, and has quite a bit of clearance from the car to the point I do not have to bend the rack to open the trunk. Very nice rack. Will recommend to anyone. AEBIKE was the cheapest place I could find and they delivered right away. Go to www.aebike.com.

Favorite Trail:   Santos @ Belleview, FL

Purchased At:   AEBIKES

Similar Products Used:   Trunk racks, Saris roof rack.

Bike Setup:   2002 Trek Fuel 100

Submitted by Rico a Cross Country Rider from Riverside, CA

Date Reviewed: April 29, 2003

Strengths:    Fork mounts for stability, NO WOBBLE AT ALL, lowers for easy access to the trunk, simple to assemble, well-priced, Made in the USA!

Weaknesses:    No real way to adjust for different wheelbase lengths.

Bottom Line:
    There may not be a better hitch rack than the Pro Rider. Most hitch racks scratch the sh*t out of your paint, but the Pro Rider is one of the few which make no contact with the bike's paint. The Hollywood Team Rider is better for wheelbase length adjustments but it is also about $60 more expensive and doesn't use Fork mounts. I really cannot express just how well-built this rack is compared to my Thule roof rack. The wobble is non-existent, Hollywood obviously takes their craft very seriously and have created a line of racks that are superior to the competition's. The two suggestions I would make to Hollywood would be to make the wheel mounts fully adjustable like the Team Rider, and I would have been willing to pay more $ to have the fork mounts come with built-in locks for security purposes.

Also props to MTBR for this forum, I had no idea which hitch-mounted rack I wanted until I came here and read the reviews.

Also, aebike.com was about $45 cheaper than Cambria and the shipping was only $6 plus no sales tax. I called about 10 LBS and none had the Pro Rider in stock.

Favorite Trail:   Sycamore Park

Purchased At:   aebike.com

Similar Products Used:   Thule roof rack

Bike Setup:   Schwinn Homegrown Factory

Submitted by Todd a Weekend Warrior from Milwaukee,Wi,USA

Date Reviewed: October 30, 2002

Strengths:    Price,strength,ease of use, durability.

Weaknesses:    Wobbles in my brand new truck reciever, didn't in my old one. The quick connects for the fork vibrate loose way too easy (lost mine in less than two miles, it had been screwed all the way in) you must remove them when not in use.

Bottom Line:
    Very good rack, if I could design one thing different, I would have nuts with nylon inserts on the last 4 or 5 rows of threads to avoid losing the very hard to find nuts on the skewers.

Purchased At:   Wehrs

Submitted by pgo a Cross Country Rider from austin

Date Reviewed: September 29, 2002

Strengths:    Great rack. Tough and strong. Holds bikes well. Great value. Delivered to my door in Austin from Pa. for $165.

Weaknesses:    Needs to be shimmed in my hitch receiver and still a little play (not a big deal, but have some washers around). A little bit of movement (but nothing compared to other racks). Sticks out a fair amount when not folded up, and the hardware could open another car up like a can opener if it came into contact. Folding up is a little fiddly. The instructions were not very good.

Bottom Line:
    As others, I did alot of research before purchasing this product. There are other racks that might be better, but they were all 2x or more $. The reviews here played a part. Fork mount racks are the best for security and safety. Having the bikes behind my SUV keeps wind resistance down and the bugs off on longer drives. I have plenty of room for front wheels. I am pleased with this product and encourage others to purchase it.

Purchased At:   R&R

Similar Products Used:   None.

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Superlight

Submitted by Ryan a Cross Country Rider from Chicago, IL

Date Reviewed: August 29, 2002

Strengths:    Value; Best functionality for the price
    Rack fits solidly in hitch receiver, no wobble
    Bikes attach securely to rack
    Rack folds down to allow access to rear hatch
    Rack folds up out of the way when not in use
    Lightweight (relatively)

Weaknesses:    Fork mount; must stow wheels in truck, or purchase optional wheel forks for rack
    Locking hitch pin is optional, must be purchased separately
    Folding the rack down to allow access to the rear hatch can be tricky when the rack is loaded with bikes (two person job)

Bottom Line:
    I took this rack on a lengthy road trip that traversed road conditions ranging from highspeed interstate highways to primitive backcountry logging roads. The rack remained secure in the hitch receiver with no wobble or shaking. The bikes remained securely attached to the rack, never even coming close to touching the back of my truck. You can't beat the value that this hitch rack delivers. Solid construction, great functionality, easy installation and setup, no wobble (even on rough roads.) Make sure to shop around for the best price, as prices seem to vary widely from store to store. I got mine for $140, which was the best price I could find online.

Purchased At:   http://aebike.com/site/index.cfm

Bike Setup:   Gary Fisher mtn bikes

"enduro race" News Anchor on walmart MTB VS Pro motocross rider

Your thoughts on this "enduro race" between a News anchor on a Walmart mountain Bike, vs a professional motocross rider. [URL="http://youtu.be/KfKrtCRAVgk"]Endurocross challenge: Mountain Bike vs. Professional off-road Motorcycle - YouTube[/URL] In the second video he attempts to set the fastest ... Read More »

Elbow pads for big rider. Fox launch or Fox Titan pro

I need some elbow pads. I am looking at Fox Launch or Fox Titan. They both say the extra large will fit 11-20 inch in the top opening. Becasue I like to lift weights, and have "huge guns", I'm leaning twards tthe fox titan becuase I'm worried the Lauch will be thight slipping over my arms. Just ... Read More »

We featured our 1st pro rider and it feels good...

Been really working hard for the last couple months and last week we put out our Feature on Mens Pro DH'er Kevin Aiello. The best part is I got a message from Kevin telling me he has been getting awesome feedback from other riders and his sponsors. [B][URL="goo.gl/rUIQq"]Kevin Aiello Feature[/U ... Read More »

Rider Profile - Pro Mens DH'er KEVIN AIELLO

Our feature on KHS FACTORY RACING RIDER - [URL="http://www.thedirtywheel.com/feature.html"]KEVIN AIELLO[/URL] Some photos, insight, and laughs.... Good guy and rising fast through the ranks:cool:Read More »

Slam DH pro rider style!

Hey guys and gals, I wish I had this bike when I attended MTBR "May by the Bay" out in California, but I brought an Ellsworth XC instead. Check it, you likely wont see another bomber like this, [url]http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showproduct.php?product=60853[/url] :thumbsup: RIP Daler ... Read More »