Hollywood F1B Bike Rack

Hollywood Racks "Original" folding 3 bike carrier, F1B is the virtually indestructible rack they designed back in 1973. Completely user friendly, this models multi-position hinges lock into place to fit practically any car, van and SUV. Comes completely preassembled, folds flat for easy storage.

Submitted by carmer a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: February 15, 2011

Strengths:    Easy to use, inexpensive.

Bottom Line:
I have had this rack for years and have traveled from N.Y. to Florida with it on a couple of different vehicles and I have never had any problems. I always make sure to use plenty of bungee cords to hold the bikes in place and to keep parts from moving while driving. I also use a couple of extra ratchet straps to back up the one installed on the rack just in case of failure of one of those. Bottom line is I have never had any issues with this rack.

Submitted by from Hong Kong

Date Reviewed: June 29, 2007

Strengths:    Works ok until it stuffed up!!!

Weaknesses:    Poor Rubber Security Straps, Poor Security Strap and Slack Customer service. Slack in returning email, poor tech support and the engineer of the company takes two whole week off as an excuse for not answering query.

Bottom Line:
Did everything as the instruction said, only loaded two bikes on the rack (not even close to the max weight) and while driving in freeway in legal speed, the rubber strap had a tear and it did not hold the bike as it should have supposed to. It resulted in chain reaction, as the wind drag the wheel and frame... literially ripping the bike off the rack and resulted in car accident.
The compnay tried to blame my installation method and returned my compliant slowly. I tried to obtain test and road safe approval for the rack but reply me with a hilerious response by saying the engineer is having a 2 weeks leave. I did not ask for compensation and only wish to express my concern for other road users and that was all I have got from the Hollywoodracks.
Up till now I still have not receive any test and results for the road safety approval. It is truely dangerous for other road users.

Purchased At:   local bicycle store

Similar Products Used:   Now inside car cabinet.

Bike Setup:   Bent Frame, Wrecked crank and wheels.... totally wrecked!!