Headland Utility - X Sport Rack Bike Rack

Light application rack attaches easily and quickly with a quick release clamp to your seat post, and adjusts on the fly. Made of lightweight yet sturdy TIG-welded 6061 aluminum. Maximum bearing weight of 25 pounds can be combined with straps or a rack pack to carry gear.

Submitted by Mark a Weekend Warrior from Richmond, VA

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2002

Strengths:    Cool looking. Lightweight. It has the quick release feature but you need to remove seat first.

Weaknesses:    Doesn't have enough load capacity.

Bottom Line:
I bought this rack thinking I would be removing it often but in 2 years I've never taken it off the seat post. In the few times I thought I was in a bad neighborhood and I needed to take it off, I just pulled off the whole seat and took it with me. I used my old backpacking philosophy with this rack & pack - if you have a big pack, you will fill it up with a bunch of stuff you really don't need to be carrying. So, I got a small pack (also from Headland) and all I carry is a light load of repair essentials. Bottom Line: this rack works just fine for me.

Favorite Trail:   Belle Isle

Purchased At:   Headland's web site

Bike Setup:   Giant Yukon

Submitted by Konrad a Weekend Warrior from Tucson, AZ

Date Reviewed: April 20, 2002

Strengths:    Strong and easily adjustable withou being a true quick release so nobody can steal it.

Weaknesses:    Not a real quick release for taking on and off. It only is used for adjustments which I cannot use because my seat tube is too skinny and I needed a spacer put on which limits the adjustability.

Bottom Line:
Works great for me. There are many places to hook a bunjee cord. It is strong and doubles as a rear mud flap (kind of). If you are looking for a quick release rack which is removed using the quick release this only comes off by taking off your seat post and the quick release is for adjustment along the seat post only.

Favorite Trail:   Charouleau Gap