Graber T-Rax Bike Rack Bike Rack

3.21/5 (14 Reviews)

• 2, 4 and 5 bike capacity
  • Carries hard-to-fit bikes including women's, juvenile and non-traditional frames
  • Rugged 2 1/2" steel tube provides strength, stability and security
  • Ergonomically designed cam lever allows arms to fold down and out of the way when not in use

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by leslie decker

Date Reviewed: September 19, 2013

Strengths:    Light weight, easy to put into and take out of hitch. The support bars swing down when not in use, very little sway when on highway. Sturdy and well built.

Weaknesses:    The straps and cradles are awful! The first bike on has to pass over each strap "buckle" bending it on the way on and off, with it finally breaking becoming useless. Both are made of hard plastic, the strap removes itself from the cradle resulting in the bike sliding out of cradle. The strap is extremely difficult to secure into the "buckle", never confident that the strap would stay secure, however it did prior to snapping off. Hatch clearance is not great, I can slide a beach chair in and out, that is all I have had to retrieve since using the rack.

Bottom Line:
    My husband purchased the rack with the intent of me mounting, and dismounting the rack, loading and unloading the bikes which I can do with ease. The price was excellent, on sale at a large sporting goods store for less then $70. I needed to replace the cradles and straps with non-graber rubber replacement parts, which I found on the internet. The replacement strap and cradle system slid on with a little soapy water and muscle fitting nicely and securing with ease. I would recommend buying replacement cradle and straps not using the ones that come with the rack. I made sure I purchased the correct diameter so they would fit on the support bars. 4 cradles and 4 straps were $30, so all in all $100 for a system that I can use with confidence. I would have rated the value a 5 if I didn't have to make additional purchases to make the rack functional.

Submitted by Frank

Date Reviewed: December 22, 2012

Strengths:    Looks solid, but...

Weaknesses:    Absolutely the worst installation instructions I've ever seen. The pieces included had almost no relation to the assembly instructions. (And I have two graduare degrees AND I used to be a mechanical contractor!)

Bottom Line:
    This product is an embarrassment to the "Made In America" sticker and to the company who has foisted it on a trusting public.

Submitted by Bruce Knox

Date Reviewed: October 1, 2012

Strengths:    With rubber tie-downs, it can virtually hold any size bike. I've had my rack for over 10 yrs. and it's been on numerous road trips.

Weaknesses:    It's hard to access items in the rear if the rack is full.

Bottom Line:
    I did have a rack prior to this one that attached to the trunk and over time it left tiny dents in the trunk, I much prefer this hitch style.

Submitted by LoriL a Weekend Warrior from Oakland, MI USA

Date Reviewed: September 23, 2010

Weaknesses:    My husband and friends used this rack to travel to the Zoo-de-Mack bike ride with friends. On the way back the rack literally snapped and our bikes went flying onto I69 freeway. Thank God no one was hurt. Our bikes however are toast. Graber will only give us a small protion of the cost to fix what used to be our beautiful and very expensive bikes. I cannot even get one bike fixed on what they are offering. Oh, and they will give us a new rack. I don't want to use a rack from a company that will not stand by their product. And I we now have no bikes to ride. If anyone has a suggestion as to what I can do to get at least what it cost to make the bikes usable again from Saris Cycling Group I would really appreciate it. Although I am still disappointed that my beautiful bike will have all of the scratches and huge gouges in it, at least I would have a bike to ride again.

Bottom Line:
    I will never use a rack from this company again.

Favorite Trail:   Stoney Creek

Bike Setup:   Giant XTC2 and Giant Trance 2

Submitted by Mike Snyder a Weekend Warrior from Los Angeles, CA USA

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2007

Strengths:    Arms fold down easily; folds out of the way of tailgate easily; holds four-five bikes well.

Weaknesses:    Could use a quick-release system to fold arms up and down. The cinching system to hold the adapter to a 2" hitch should be less complicated. Whenever I take the rack off my car it takes a while to remember how it goes back on to cinch properly.

Bottom Line:
    Yes, it wobbles at speed -- but that's easily eliminated by tightening the bolt that goes through the 2" adapter. A once-a-month tightening is all it needs to keep it snug and firm, regardless of how many bikes I'm carrying. The fold-down arms even have enough back room (the side opposite the mount where the bikes fit on the arms) to add another carrier for a fifth bike. I've used this rack with my and my kids bikes camping, to the beach, whatever and haven't had any problems.

Favorite Trail:   Orange Line

Purchased At:   120.00

Similar Products Used:   Hollywood hitch mount

Bike Setup:   Hitch mounted on F-150 pickup

Submitted by Steve S from Parma, OH

Date Reviewed: July 4, 2007

Strengths:    None

Weaknesses:    Wobbles dangerously. Hitch adapter does not fit correctly. They include a plastic block that is very loose.

Bottom Line:
    Do not buy this product. If you have a 2" hitch.....buy a 2" bike rack. Do not but the adapter model.

Submitted by Yvette a Weekend Warrior from Austin, TX, USA

Date Reviewed: November 30, 2005

Strengths:    Fits all 4 of our bikes with no trouble at all. Even fits the smaller frames. Easy to load on and off, easy to secure.

Weaknesses:    The adapter for the larger hitch gives too much. Not a good system for attaching such a large rack.

Bottom Line:
    The sway was terrifying. I had people on the highway flagging me down and pointing to the bike rack because it was swaying side to side so much. If the arm was larger (i.e. the same size as my hitch) so that I didn't have to use the adapter to mount it, I think it may work better and be more stable. Or if there was more than just one bolt to hold it together? I don't know, but it seems very unsafe to have the bikes swaying so much with every slight turn. I even had a bike shop guy look at it and he said it was mounted correctly, just a cheap rack. His words! So I guess you get what you pay for. I think I'll sell it and try to buy a higher quality one.

Purchased At:   Target

Similar Products Used:   NONE

Submitted by Brian a Weekend Warrior from Phoenix, AZ, USA

Date Reviewed: November 4, 2002

Strengths:    sturdy, easy to get on and off, reliable

Bottom Line:
    Yo moron if you have a Y frame you are going to have to use a different type of rack. Duh ?? I have a full suspension bike and I have no problems with this rack. I have the 1 1/4" 2 bike version and it is outstanding, especially for the price. I strongly reccommend this rack. It is very easy to get on and off. I have an Altima sedan which exposes the bike/rack to a lot of wind at 80 mph. So far, I have had absolutely no problems. The sway is mininmal. You are always going to get some sway with a sedan like the Altima. You can also open the trunk on the Altima and not do anything to the rack. This rack is perfect for sedans.

Favorite Trail:   white rock in Prescott, AZ

Purchased At:   bike nashbar

Bike Setup:   I have a Haro Full suspension XLS Werks 3.0 and Nissan Altima Car

Submitted by Jimmy a Weekend Warrior from LI

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2002

Strengths:    Holds 5 bikes, arms can fold down

Weaknesses:    Does not hold full suspension bikes. Will have to buy a bike beam in order to fit the bike to the rack

Bottom Line:
    Graber indicates that you can fit funky style frames on this rack such as a "Y" bike. That's BS. Sure you can fit it on but then the rear tire is facing up towards the sky or sticking out from the side of the car. I have not been able to fit my full suspension nor my friend's numerous full suspension bikes correctly. Sure you can fit a Trek Y bike but then who makes those types of frames nowadays? So I had to buy bike beams to fit my bikes on. You're then at risk of losing your bike on the highway because if your stem or seatpost comes off, your bike is history. Also the bikes will sway back and forth like crazy with the beam. This rack is good for hardtails only. The rack is also not stable on the highway, it sways back and forth all the time. Don't buy this rack if you have full suspension bike You will have major regrets if you buy this rack and try to fit your dual suspension bike.

Favorite Trail:   Rocky Point

Purchased At:   Online

Similar Products Used:   Purchased a Yakima rimroc but haven't tested it yet

Bike Setup:   Intense Tracer, Specialized FSR XC

Submitted by Murray a Weekend Warrior from Sacramento, CA

Date Reviewed: March 19, 2002

Strengths:    heavy duty; well made; looks good (if you like black); arms fold down; holds all sorts of frames

Weaknesses:    rack sways from side to side a bit; section that goes into your receiver hitch can be a bit longer (I have to remove a pedal to clear the back of my Plymouth Voyager van); plastic "cam levers" for folding down arms can be chipped if you're not careful

Bottom Line:
    I have the 5 bike model. So far it hasn't given me any problems -- Lake Tahoe, Yosemite, camping trips, around town. I've taken it on extended rough roads and watched the bikes sway from side to side. This is the only weakness and can be attributed to the fact that there is only one bolt that holds the upright section to the hitch mount section. I am thinking about adding another bolt to the hitch section (there are holes to do so) to prevent the sway. I haven't had any problems with the fold down arms other than a quarter-sized section of the plastic cam lever breaking off when I was putting it away (metal meets plastic, plastic breaks). The $180 I spent on the rack plus the $140 I spent for the hitch is less than what I would have spent on a roof system. I recommend this rack if you have a hitch and lots of bikes to carry (as I have a roof top box for stuff).

Purchased At:   City Bicycle Works

Similar Products Used:   cheap trunk mounted carriers

Bike Setup:   mountain bikes, road bikes, kid bikes

Submitted by John a Cross Country Rider from New York

Date Reviewed: August 30, 2000

Strengths:    Sturdy rack, looks great, collapsable arms

Weaknesses:    Sways a little

Bottom Line:
    This is a nice rack. I could have spent another $100 for the Thule space station but then I could only hold 2 bikes with the Thule. As for the Graber, I can hold up to 5 bikes. The rack sways alittle bit but I've used it every weekend since I purchased it and it hasn't given me any problems at all. I recommend this rack.

Favorite Trail:   Greenbelt