Graber Guardian III Bike Rack

4.33/5 (3 Reviews)

• Covered foam pads resist dust and protect vehicle
  • Hold-Downs wrap around bike frame for a tight hold. Fits all tube diameters and frame styles.
  • Arm spread design is engineered to carry most sizes of bikes (including juvenile, BMX and small frames)
  • Completely assembled -- including straps
  • Adjusts to fit most vehicles
  • Carries 3 bikes maximum
  • Pull handles make arm adjustment easy
  • Six straps with heavy duty steel spring buckles
  • Bumper bend distributes weight to bumper

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by drew a Weekend Warrior from Cleveland

Date Reviewed: April 11, 2008

Strengths:    I have a Lexus RX300 and this rack fits perfect, the arms come out horizontally. It has nice rubber coated hooks, nice pull and lock clasps. there is plenty of room for three bikes.

Weaknesses:    non that I can see as of now

Bottom Line:
    NICE DESIGN!

Purchased At:   Dicks

Submitted by Keith a Weekend Warrior from Irving, Texas

Date Reviewed: January 28, 2003

Strengths:    Great rack for the price

Weaknesses:    None - for a trunk rack.....

Bottom Line:
    I have used this rack about every week for the past several months, and it is great. Very solid construction with good weight, but no too heavy to manage. I could feel and see the quality construction when I took it out fo the box. First installation took about 10-15 minutes to get the tie-downs set to the right length for my Altima, but now it sets up in 2 minutes. Piece of cake. The bike straps hold secuurly, and there is a stabilizer for the down shaft with prevents side-to-side movement. Even so, I use a couple of bungee cords around the frame to secure to the car, and I get ZERO movement on the rack. It's 20 miles to my favorite trail, so I get plenty of speed on the freeway, and I've never had any issued with shifting.
    I also use the Saris bike-beam, which makes it much easier to load up a full-suspension bike.
    It would be nice to have a roof mount, but that was a bit out of my price range for the time being. Otherwise, I am extremely pleased with this product. And it fits any vehicle, so I can easily fit it to my mini-van when I travel with the family.

Favorite Trail:   Northshore, Lake Grapevine, TX

Purchased At:   Online

Similar Products Used:   Yakima roof mount (a friends)

Bike Setup:   Specialized Hardrock UNO FS
    Judy TT front, entry-lever Shimamo brakes/shifters.

Submitted by Kevin a Weekend Warrior from Jacksonville

Date Reviewed: June 12, 2001

Strengths:    Very sturdy. Padded arms hit perfectly below license plate - nothing rests on bumper. Easy to install.

Weaknesses:    S-clips are a bit wide - don't fit snugly around lip of trunk. Could have included some tie-downs. Straps that go around bike tubing aren't very convincing.

Bottom Line:
    This thing is great. While I've only used it once, I really like it. I bought two bikes at Target yesterday. They were mine and my wife's first bikes. I have a 2000 Jetta. Needless to say, I had to buy the rack in order to get the bikes home. I was able to install it in the parking lot in about 15 minutes. Not too bad from straight out of the box and having to adjust the straps etc. Now that the straps have been adjusted it doesn't take as long to get it on.

So far I have had two bikes (1 men's and 1 women's style). I was pretty nervous driving home, but the bikes didn't fall off. The straps that actually wrap around the bike and hold it to the arms seems a little shaky, so I will probably use some extra cords and straps just to be sure.

The instructions were fairly clear, and the application guide was detailed and fit my Jetta perfectly.

I would still like a roof mount solution just so I don't have to take it on and off all the time, but until then, I think this product will serve me well.

Favorite Trail:   Jax-Baldwin Rail Trail