Graber Bones Trunk Rack Bike Rack

4.16/5 (55 Reviews)

2 and 3 bike capacity

Submitted by Arn from San Jose, Ca

Date Reviewed: March 27, 2004

Strengths:    very secure

Weaknesses:    takes time to assemble, bottom "feet" of rack will leave depressions on plastic bumpers.

Bottom Line:
Good if you don't mind slight dents and scratches on your trunk and bumper. My rack was set up on a sedan so other type of vehicles may not have this problem.

Favorite Trail:   anywhere in cali

Submitted by Harry a Cross Country Rider from Cleveland, OH

Date Reviewed: July 16, 2001

Strengths:    Many different options for installation. Lots of straps for stability. Bikes are well-secured to rack.

Weaknesses:    A pain to set up initially. Don't like how the central tube that the straps pass through can slide back and forth (a problem if you can't rest the rack on the bumper). Bottom straps should have clothes hanger style hooks (not wide flat hooks) that can grab towing loops & other undercarriage openings. Present bottom hooks can't grab anything but edge of flimsy plastic bumper cover

Bottom Line:
My 2-bike model worked well on my 97 Accord that I owned before I bought a Forester. Not ideal for the steep Forester hatchback because the top arm brace rests on the window when the bottom arm braces rest on the bumper. The alternative placement that I use has the bottom arm braces resting on the paint midway down the hatch with the top arm brace basically resting on the roof. In this configuration, the rack tends to lean a bit to the side with the most bike weight.

Purchased At:   bought used

Similar Products Used:   Bard-Wyers Stealth--great design (doesn't touch paint & sedan trunks can be partially opened with rack) but requires a sturdy bumper.

Submitted by Mike a Weekend Warrior from Dallas, TX USA

Date Reviewed: July 2, 2001

Strengths:    Versatile and strong.

Weaknesses:    Scratches frame at contact points.

Bottom Line:
This is a really versatile rack and I would buy it again. I selected it based on my LBS' recommendation. The LBS mounted it on the trunk for me and showed me how to clamp my bikes in it correctly. (From other's comments, they may have saved me from picking my bikes up from the side of the road, who knows.) I must admit that fastening the straps securely would be confusing if you didn't know beforehand. My only complaint is that the straps scratched the frame until I put some self-adhesive 'foam' on the face. I had to contact Graber for two replacement thumbscrews which they promptly sent without any questions except who I was and where to send them. One thing I do like is the compact size when folded. Unfolded, there is a number/sticker combination that you use to 'find' the old arm angles, a pretty slick idea. HINT: That's also in the owner's manual. :)

Bottom line, good rack, good company, and I recommend it - just read the manual first.

Purchased At:   Richardson Bike Mart

Bike Setup:   Road bike and mtn bike both with regular top tubes.

Submitted by Mirek a Weekend Warrior from Hamilton, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2001

Strengths:    Easy set up and take down. Looks cool.

Weaknesses:    Bikes get loose and fall of on highway (twice). Most recently it was on a multi-lane (4 each way) highway. I saw the bike bounce across all three lanes and being hit by a minivan and finally stopping on the raised median. Luckily no-one got hurt. Not to mention the bike was ruined.

Paint gets scratched up on long rides
Hard to get the bikes out in colder weather.

Bottom Line:
Good for short, non-highway rides.

Avoid like the plague if you are going on a highway!

Favorite Trail:   Waterdown trail

Purchased At:   Friendly bike store

Bike Setup:   Trek 8500, Trek 7000, or Specialized RockHopper

Submitted by Chris a Downhiller from Toronto, ON, Canada

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2001

Strengths:    Sweet design, fits on my Accord with spoiler perfectly.
I have the 3 bike design, it easily holds my GT XCR 2000
and my girlfriends GT Aggressor 1.0 without any problems.
Was nervous about bike rack dumping my bikes on the highway
and then I drove around with the 'bones'. This thing is
solid, no more worries. Unless your driving behind a someone
without a 'bones' rack.

Weaknesses:    Nothing that I've noticed so far. The price is alittle high
but you get what you pay for. I was willing to trade cost
for peace of mind.

Bottom Line:
Sweet Rack .. I have to give it 5/5 chillis ..

Favorite Trail:   Hardwood Hills

Purchased At:   Bike Depot

Similar Products Used:   Tried various racks and read reviews, nothing matched the
'bones'

Bike Setup:   1999 XCR 2000 FS with XT everything and Specialized Body
E. Saddle.

Submitted by Sourav a Cross Country Rider from Madison, WI

Date Reviewed: March 18, 2001

Strengths:    Super strong, easy to mount, stable, anti-sway rings

Weaknesses:    The bars that hold your bikes sway just a tad in heavy wind, price

Bottom Line:
This bike rack is the best. I just got back from a trip from madison, WI to Tucson, AZ and i was pretty confident in it, i just checked it when filling on gas. The unit itself does not move at all on the car and was eazy to switch between two cars.
Only the bars that hold your bikes sway a tad in high wind. Even when "Screwed in" the bars can be jerked a bit, perhaps they can fix that later on..
All you have to do is pull the straps super tight (turn the top straps 1 turn to eliminate wind noise) and forget it.
Dont put your down tube too close to the arm or the plastic WILL sctrach the bike tube. Make sure you use bungees also.

Favorite Trail:   Fantasy Island, Tucson AZ

Purchased At:   Budget Bikes Expo

Bike Setup:   GF supercal

Submitted by Michael Haluska a Cross Country Rider from Alfred, NY USA

Date Reviewed: October 19, 2000

Strengths:    This thing kicks ass. Super strong. Super efficient. Incredibly flexible design. Holds bikes extremely well.

Weaknesses:    Clips can mar trunk hood. Plastic bike clips are a weak point I think. No front wheel clip. Very easy to steal.

Bottom Line:
If you are in the market for a trunk rack look no further than this baby. You will not be sorry. Sure, you'd like to get the $400 roof rack, but you don't have $400. Buy this, save the extra $300 you would have plunked into the roof rack and pick up a decent set of XC wheels. You'll thank me.

Favorite Trail:   Harriet Hollister Spencer St. Park

Purchased At:   The Bicycle Man

Similar Products Used:   the inside of my trunk

Bike Setup:   95 Diamondback hardtail with Manitou SXR fork

Submitted by AjCoUhRnA a Racer from Greensboro, NC

Date Reviewed: September 23, 2000

Strengths:    >No Paint to chip/flake
>Composit/Aluminum Materials
>large contact feet
>Sturdy straps and buckles
>Extremely versiatle

Weaknesses:    >May have to buy extra parts for your application (i.e hatch hugger straps)
>May leave small contact mars on frame
>Little stickers to mark positions suck, come off

Bottom Line:
Ok,fist thing. You have to read the instructons for this thing. It is easy to get the plastic straps in the latches the incorrect way. Use some sence, and take your time to get things set up right to avoid damage to anything. The only real weakness I found is the rack itself has no way to secure the front wheel/handlebars. I use some velcro pump straps to secure it. Also if the "cradle" area sandwiches your bare brake cable between the frame and "cradle" Id put a washcloth betwen the cable and frame to prevent bike paint damage. Also Use a black sharpie to mark the settings on the aluminum cylnder, it dosent wash off or fade. Excellent product design! folds up niceley to store in trunk and small enough not to take up the entire space. I have a Civic hatchback, and it fits perfectly on the back of the car and inside of the trunk.
Highly recommended, not a single problem so far.
Use some common sence, read the instructons and your bike will not budge!

Favorite Trail:   New Asphalt

Purchased At:   Cycles deORO

Similar Products Used:   >My Hatchback
>Pick up truck fork mount

Bike Setup:   Bianchi Champione, secured PROPERLY to rack, thats secured PROPERLY to vehicle

Submitted by jason a Weekend Warrior from Arlington, TX

Date Reviewed: September 7, 2000

Strengths:    super stong and sturdy, easy on, easy off, $. Dosn't let those mutha's move a bit.

Weaknesses:    wasn't around when I first started riding

Bottom Line:
this is the best trunk mounted bike rack ever made, That's right - EVER! When I'm flying down the highway in my rocket-powered, monkey-navigated stud-mobile, I have the utmost confidence that my bike will never sway. The key is its thick plastic "arms" that rest on the bumpper. I havn't seen any other rack that is designed quite this way. This rack is SOLID!, even when I'm doing dounuts in my neighbors' yard, unlike my old one that spilled my friends' and mine bikes all over the highway doing 65! If your in the market for a good trunk rack, for god's sake please buy this one first. Don't be stupid like me.

Favorite Trail:   Cider Hill State Park

Purchased At:   much need gift

Similar Products Used:   I've had two other bike racks that could both suck the chrome off a trailer hitch - the brand names don't matter

Bike Setup:   2000 Specialized Rockhopper pro with rocket-pack option

Submitted by joe a Weekend Warrior from hibbing, mn. u.s.a.

Date Reviewed: August 13, 2000

Strengths:    no rusting, easy setup, and brakedown.
cheap, 99 bucks is a good price for the two bike rack!
varied vehicle fitting

Weaknesses:    my LTS frame sits kinda funky.
i can the straps wearing out quick.

Bottom Line:
it's easy, a few twists and turns, and clamping and your ready to load up your bike, or bikes. i had no slipping and everything stayed tight until unloaded. we drove over two hours on bumpy bad roads, and a lot of dirt. i checked it twice. ok.......... maybe three or four times then!! also, we had no chipping of paint or scratches.
my LTS frame fit kinda funky, but the seat tube strap fit really snug.
for what i'm going to use it for, it was well worth 99$.
for what it's worth, Calvin, the owner of my LBS, said Saris is really good about sending out new straps.

Favorite Trail:   the old hull road

Bike Setup:   97 GT LTS-3, with almost all new parts!!

Submitted by Guy From The Outback a Downhiller from Cincinnati, OH

Date Reviewed: June 27, 2000

Strengths:    - Soft pads to stop scratches on your car
- Plastic coating on brackets
- Wicked look to it
- Rock solid design

Weaknesses:    - Slightly difficult to get bike off. (that's a good thing too though, at least your bike won't fall off)
- Small depressions in my car from opening the trunk. (My fault though)

Bottom Line:
Condolences to those bikes who suffered a tragedy on the roadway from poor setup. I found that the rack, if setup right will work like a dream. I have driven highways, backroads, dirt roads and the rack doesn't loosen or move. It's nice to not have to look out the window and see your bike on the road behind you. I will be driving to colorado from ohio soon and that will be the long distance test for me.

TIPS:
- Don't open your trunk, the S-hooks on the roof dented my car. (still can't figure out why they put S-hooks for the roof straps)
- Buy some bunjy cords because the retension straps don't hold lateral movement well.
- When setting up the straps attached to the car...tighten them and then put a single knot in front of the clip to stop it from loosening up again. Just a safety precaution.

Final Thought :
Riders who want a funky head turning thing hanging off the back of their car should buy this rack. For an extra $20 it's worth getting the 3 bike version. Works on most cars...I have a Golf GTI and it works very well.

Favorite Trail:   Ohio doesn't have trails...?

Similar Products Used:   Some metal thing that destroyed a friends bike a while back when it fell off the car.

Bike Setup:   Custom freestyle bike, KHS FXT Team frame, RST shocks, XT components

Submitted by farmanimal a Weekend Warrior from kansas city

Date Reviewed: June 23, 2000

Strengths:    adjustable from car to suv to mini van... really
rock solid stable at 80... i swear bikes dont even move
no metal to rust or hurt my 2 wheeled pal

Weaknesses:    some may find it difficult whaen using non diamond frames... a little 3dimensional thinking goes a long way here
the trunk tabs could be a little tuff on your vehicle

Bottom Line:
i have the 3 holer... it is most always on my car.. i have had friends borrow it, and all are impressed with its relative ease of use and STRONG construction... i have never ever had a bike scratchedn, nor have any of the numerous vehicles this rack been on ever been scratched or harmed... i have cruised at like 80-85 with my bike, and others nothing moves....got go 5 flaming burrotoes here... for those who cannt figure this rack out get a dick and jane book

Similar Products Used:   various metal things

Bike Setup:   no training wheels

Submitted by Dan a Cross Country Rider from St. Paul

Date Reviewed: June 19, 2000

Bottom Line:
The rack ruined the paint on my Klein as well as my car. I tried to get someone from Saris to look at it but no one was interested. I now use it with socks wrapping all surfaces that contact anything and it does an adequate job. Find something else!

Favorite Trail:   slick rock

Similar Products Used:   When I go out of town I always rent the cheapest tube car rack I can get my hands on and these seem to work fine.

Bike Setup:   Klein Pulse. If I ever get the chance to upgrade to an Attitude the rack is history.

Submitted by Paul a Weekend Warrior from Toronto, Ontario

Date Reviewed: June 9, 2000

Strengths:    Relatively inexpensive, light-weight and portable.

Weaknesses:    Does not discriminate between damaging bike or car - it damages both.

Bottom Line:
When I first started looking for a rack, my primary concern was not having my bike fall off while I was driving (I had heard enough horror stories). In retrospect, I should've been more concerned with any residual damage that the rack may cause to my car and/or bike. After only one use, the rack managed to scratch paint off both my trunk and bike frame. Admittedly, the damage is relatively minor, but in my mind a rack should not leave a mark.

I guess, this rack is okay if you drive a beat-up car and you wrap your frame with cloth at any point of contact between the bike frame and the rack. Otherwise, I think it's worth it to spend the extra bucks for a roof rack.

Similar Products Used:   None (my first rack).

Bike Setup:   2000 Kona Blast (stock)

Submitted by Matt a Cross Country Rider from Indianapolis, IN

Date Reviewed: June 6, 2000

Strengths:    This bike rack looks really cool. It only takes a few minutes to set up, too.

Weaknesses:    My bike fell off the rack! I assume that this is a problem with only a few defective racks, but unfortunately I got one of them.

Bottom Line:
For most people this rack seems to work well. But here's what happened to me: A day after I first purchased the rack I noticed that my bike had shifted a little bit after a short drive. The straps that hold the bike in place had loosened, and after looking at them I noticed that they were pretty easy to pull off without pressing the button. But the bike had stayed on the rack at that point. But today--three or four days after buying this rack--my bike tumbled off the back of my car on the highway. It was terrifying. If someone had gotten into an accident trying to avoid the bike I could have been sued, or someone could have died. Tomorrow morning I'm going to call Saris to try to straighten the matter out. My bike is only worth $300, so I expect them to replace it. But until that point, they get one star from me.

Similar Products Used:   None. This is my first bike rack.

Bike Setup:   Schwinn frontier

Trunk rack - Saris Bones RS vs Thule Raceway

Can anyone recommend or make a critique regarding these 2 new racks that uses cables. I'm thinking that as long as u install the racks properly and tie the bike down it's even more secure than a roof rack. I've got roof racks and thule big mouth and the petrom consumption is quite high - i wouldn't ... Read More »

Saris Bones RS trunk rack as a long term transport solution

I'm still debating on a long term transport solution for my Yeti ASR-5 on my BMW 335i. I'm currently using a cheap Yakima Big Joe trunk rack but it's not viable for long term use. It's fine for the 20 minute drives to my local trails. But with summer here, I often want to take my bike to work to ... Read More »

Bought Saris Bones 2 Trunk rack, trying to figure out how to use it

Today I bought a car rack in anticipation of getting a bike soon. I got the Saris Bones 2 bike trunk rack. Seems like a solid rack, but I can't seem to figure out how to put my girlfriend's bike on it. I figured it'd be pretty striaght forward for a men's bike since the top beam goes straight across ... Read More »

Trunk rack security Saris bones

So I got a Saris Bones 2. Prtty basic, but very good quality. It is on the back of my 2000 Civic. I dod not want to outclass the car with a luxury rack. My question is what are other people doing to improve the security of the rack and the bike on the rack? I thought about running a cable lock th ... Read More »

Saris Bones 3 trunk rack meets Ferrari Testarossa highway race

A friend and I drove up to Pinckney Rec near Ann Arbor yesterday to ride the Poto trail. We had his Saris Bones 3 trunk rack on the back of my SRT-4 with both of our bikes strapped on to it. We were coming from Toledo and for anyone that knows the stretch of US 23 between the state line and Dundee ... Read More »