Delta Post Porter Rear Rack Bike Rack

2.14/5 (7 Reviews)

This strong, lightweight rack attaches to your seatpost, saving you weight and installation time. Secure 4-bolt clamp easily attaches to any size (25 - 31.8mm) round post. Features pannier support for carrying your panniers. Made of tough TIG-welded aluminum construction. Carries up to 25 pounds.

Submitted by ash a Cross Country Rider from el sobrante, ca

Date Reviewed: April 24, 2002

Strengths:    easy istallation, able to mount to my bike

Weaknesses:    broke after 2 months

Bottom Line:
usually have about 10 to 15 pounds on the rack and one of the welds broke after about 2 months. i'm very disappointed cause now i have to buy a new rack.

Purchased At:   nashbar.com

Similar Products Used:   other racks, don't know the names

Bike Setup:   only requires round seat post and an allen wrench

Submitted by a Weekend Warrior from MA

Date Reviewed: March 30, 2002

Strengths:    Has held up very well with my light panniers.

Weaknesses:    nothing yet

Bottom Line:
I am quite pleased with this product, in regards to quality and value. It is the best value I could fins

Purchased At:   delta website

Bike Setup:   Front and Rear suspension

Submitted by kw G a Cross Country Rider from Sacramento

Date Reviewed: April 10, 2001

Strengths:    Doesn't fall apart for the 1st 3 months

Weaknesses:    Falls apart after 3 months

Bottom Line:
2 years ago, I bought an old style Postporter for my road bike. The old style had a smaller diameter main tube. That broke at the clamp when I was 12 miles from home and chipped my carbon-fiber frame.

To their credit, Delta sent me a new re-designed (larger diameter main tube) PostPorter for $8 shipping/handling only. However, within 3 months, the welds for the U-shaped support broke and the side support welds broke off too. I'm not using it on my mountain bike and I'm loading it with less than 15lbs of stuff. I don't know of another manufacturer that makes a clamp on rack w/ panier supports but if you have a choice, don't get a PostPorter.

Favorite Trail:   SweetWater

Bike Setup:   Road bike w/o braze-ons for a bolt-on rack that's why I'm stuck w/ the PostPOrter

Submitted by a Cross Country Rider from Colorado Springs

Date Reviewed: September 14, 2000

Strengths:    works for a couple hundred miles

Weaknesses:    breaks after a couple hundred miles

Bottom Line:
A friend and I bought these racks for a 500 mile mountain bike trip. His lasted for about 200 miles, (on a full suspension frame!) with less than 20 lbs on it, then one of the side supports broke. Lasted another 200 then the damn thing snapped clean off at the weld next to the seatpost. Left us in the middle of f@!%in nowhere with no option but to strap all the stuff on his back. Closer inspection revealed that many weld points were cracking. I am afraid to trust mine which somehow made it through. Delta makes it sound like this rack is bombproof but not to put over 25lbs because the seatpost might break. What a joke. I wouldn't trust this piece of sh it even to carry a 6-pack home from the store.

Submitted by Joe-seph Pis-coe a Cross Country Rider from Joot Montana

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2000

Strengths:    none

Weaknesses:    poorly made joke

Bottom Line:
This is an update to my previous post, as if to justify my original assesment, the rack has entirely broken. The weld that joins the rack to the post mount completely gave out, it's as though they used a touch of super glue to hold the damn thing together. piece of sh*t. don't buy it. I'm going for a Utility-x from Headland, I'll let you know how that works out.

Favorite Trail:   appalachian

Similar Products Used:   see below

Bike Setup:   see below

Submitted by Joe-seph Pis-coe a Cross Country Rider from Butterville, Kentucky

Date Reviewed: July 15, 2000

Strengths:    Still works

Weaknesses:    not durable
not as "quick-release" as it could be
needs more bungee options
I paid too much

Bottom Line:
I use this rack for an hour long commute every day. I never carried more than the cargo limit of 25lbs. Rack held out for about two months, then a weld on the underside broke and a strut snapped off. Now it rattles. The clamp is irritating if you're looking for easy removal, you can do better than four hex screws for the seatpost clamp. In addition it doesn't easily accomodate a tailight. Although I still use it and it still serves its purpose, when it breaks I'm getting something else. I'm also not entirely pleased with it because I paid $50 bucks and later found it sells for $40.

Favorite Trail:   Appalachian

Similar Products Used:   shoulder, back, handlebar

Bike Setup:   Frame, seat, handlebars, two wheels, and all that other stuff that makes it go and stop.

Submitted by CaptainGingersnaps a Cross-Country Rider from Washington, DC

Date Reviewed: September 22, 1999

Strengths:    Sturdy mount

Weaknesses:    some twisting, little too close to seat, makes using rack-top bag a little tough.

Bottom Line:
I bought this for my hardtail because I wanted to have the option of taking it on and off the bike depending on my ride. Unfortunately, the four-screw mount is not exactly quick-release. I had some trouble with it twisting my seatpost around, but tightening my seat clamp down a bit seems to have fixed that. Depending on how high your seat is, you might also have trouble getting trunk-type bags to fit on top of the rack without bumping the seat. I'd get a normal-mount rack if I had it to do again, but I would recommend this one, especially if you're riding a FS bike.

3 months