Bell Sports Inc. Stow-n-Go Quick Mount Bike Rack

2.18/5 (17 Reviews)

Bell Sports, Inc. Stow-n-Go Quick Mount

Submitted by MickAv8r a Cross Country Rider from Southern New Hampster

Date Reviewed: May 11, 2009

Strengths:    Velcro securing straps seem more secure than methods used on higher end Saris and Thule racks.

Weaknesses:    Rubber brackets for bike slide around are not secured in a fixed position. The chainring on my Fisher has been bashing against the rack's frame. Chainring is ok, but rack frame is scratched up and dented and is now possibly compromised. Improved somewhat with additional bungees to secure the bike, at least my fork no longer hits my trunk.

Bottom Line:
Surprised its lasted this long. Cheap POS but it works. You get what you pay for. Would buy if on a budget and you aren't concered about your car's paint.

Favorite Trail:   FOMBA

Bike Setup:   07 Fisher Wahoo, Mavic Crossride wheels, 185mm BB7's Front & Rear

Submitted by Jonny Blitzkrieg a Weekend Warrior from St Louis

Date Reviewed: October 27, 2007

Strengths:    This is a subpar bike rack but it works.

Weaknesses:    Inferior materials, kind of hard to setup, janks around alot.

Bottom Line:
I agree with all the assessments of inferior materials and everything, BUT I have used this rack for TWO YEARS with no problems. This includes a 2200 mile cross-country move so I don't know if I'm just lucky or what but I also have a cheap bike so I wouldn't be heartbroken if it busted in mid trip.

Favorite Trail:   Castlewood Park Trails

Purchased At:   Leftover from garage sale

Bike Setup:   Goodwill special.

Submitted by chana kreutz from byron new york u.s.

Date Reviewed: August 18, 2007

Strengths:    none

Weaknesses:    product broke after using for about 2 hours

Bottom Line:
product broke while in use and my sons bike to fall off and get run over by a car. bike was purchased brand new on the same day.

Purchased At:   walmart

Bike Setup:   2 bikes

Submitted by Nick a Weekend Warrior from Amherst, MA

Date Reviewed: December 21, 2006

Strengths:    Cheap as it gets, surprisingly held up under use

Weaknesses:    Straps do not stay tight, no lateral support, rubber cradle eventually snaps

Bottom Line:
If you need to infrequently haul bikes short distances, then it probably works fine. It is nearly impossible to open the first time, thought mine was defective. It is scary on the highway, swaying and bouncing all over. However, to give it credit it did successfully transport two bikes on multiple 5-hour trips without incident (except for multiple stops to tighten the straps). After a couple of years the rubber cradles split, but that was after leaving it outside for a month. You get what you pay for, although I wonder if my new rack is really worth 3x more...

Purchased At:   Wally World

Similar Products Used:   Yakima Super Joe trunk mount

Submitted by Brad Honeycutt a Weekend Warrior from Russellville, AR, USA

Date Reviewed: August 1, 2006

Strengths:    Price. Easy to use.

Weaknesses:    Cheap material, poor design for strapping in bikes. Rubber mounts and velcro to hold your bike in.

Bottom Line:
The rubber mount that the velcro loops through broke after less than a month. It seems that the rubber was not very durable in the hot Arkansas summer. I was lucky that it broke while strapping my bike in and not while traveling down the road. The straps also seem to stretch each time I mounted my bike this made for very little contact between the two velcro strips. I will not buy this or any other product from this company again.

Favorite Trail:   Old Post Road

Purchased At:   Wal-Mart

Bike Setup:   Gary Fisher Mamba

Submitted by D a Weekend Warrior from Columbus, Ohio

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2004

Strengths:    Cheap, Easy to use.

Weaknesses:    Cheap.

Bottom Line:
Please read this review before dooming the rack completely.

I have owned the Bell Deluxe 2 Bike rack for about 18 months. After I moved recently, I now have better access to my bike and have become serious about taking it with me to school. I'm a grad student at Ohio State and some of my classes are over a mile from where I park.

Yes, the rack does not have lateral support. However, to be fair, if you read the manual, it says that you should not use the rack without securing the rack with 2 foot bungee cords. I put the bungee cords from the sides of the rack through the spokes of the wheels and then to the rear fender. This keeps the bike from moving at all, side to side or away from the car, even on the freeway. Still, I have scratched my car some getting the bike on and off of the rack. However, my car is an old Honda and it already has worse blemishes so this does not bother me. If I were worried about the paint, I would spend the extra money to get a hitch and hitch rack.

The cradles that hold the bikes do suck. In principle, they are basically the same idea as older ball caps with the snap-the-bumps-into-the-holes-style closure. Anyone that has owned a cap of this type knows that this type of closure is prone to coming undone and will inevitably break. On this point, again the manual states that you should use additional straps to secure the bikes. The other problem with the cradles is that they physically split in half down the seam. This, I think, is the real problem.

HOWEVER, Bell has recently redesigned the rack and the new model has some significant improvements. You can recognize the new design because the colors have changed from yellow to red. The new rack has smaller end pieces with reflectors on them so it is easier to get the bike on. The cradles are immensely better. They are now made of rubber instead of plastic with a pass-through style Velcro strap to secure the bike. The cradles are a lot bigger too for bikes with bigger frames. The two bike model still lacks lateral support, but the three bike model does have side straps now. I recently replaced the rack with the new style because it looks so promising.

With the new design, it is a very nice rack for 30 bucks.

Purchased At:   Walmart

Similar Products Used:   none.

Bike Setup:   Diamondback Topanga, stock setup with some bells and whistles (well, a pump and a seatpost rack)

Submitted by Jamie a Weekend Warrior from Ohio

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2004

Strengths:    Cheap and easy to use. And I put $0.00 down cause my dad gave it to me. He didn't need it anymore. But it's like $25.00 at Wal~Mart.

Weaknesses:    Not very expensive looking.

Bottom Line:
Ok don't believe all the other crap below! This may not be the best rack in the world but it isn't very costly and it works! I can't understand how those other people's bikes fell off unless you didn't secure it very good. Here is how I use it. Put the bike on the rack and pull secure straps tightly around top tube, then as a safe measure use strap slack through the wheels and back around to the rack and tie it, then I used 2 bungee cords (1 kinda long but not too long and the other short), hook longer cord under your bumper up and around both top and bottom tube of bike then back under your bumper again and that will keep bike on rack and from swaying when you stop and go, then the short cord should go around your top tube and around the bar that sits on your trunk and connect the two hooks of the cord to eachother. You also might wanna use zip ties around the plastic straps that go around your top tube just for added safety, I use metal wire to tie mine down with. I do this everyday it is kind of a pain but it works and it doesn't cost $90 or more dollars. I drove my car really hard swerving and went about 70mph with it like this just for a test and I have had no problems at all!!! If you decide do use it like this make sure your bungee cords are stretched out almost all the way to insure a snug bike. If you want to see pictures of how I do it e-mail me and I will show you. Or if you want to waste your money on a expensive rack go right ahead.

Favorite Trail:   Mt. Logan

Purchased At:   Wal~Mart

Bike Setup:   03 Giant Iguana, Shimano clipless, ODI's

Submitted by Christopher Kaufmann a Cross Country Rider from Philadelphia, PA, USA

Date Reviewed: March 4, 2004

Strengths:    None except cheap.

Weaknesses:    The clips broke almost immediately. I have used it about eight times with one bike. Both clips are already broken. You do the math.

Bottom Line:
Unless you tie it on with slack from the straps, just forget this piece of &^$t. IT'S NOT WORTH THE $25 OR WHATEVER YOU MAY PAY FOR IT.

Favorite Trail:   Wissahickon Bike Trail

Purchased At:   Can't Remember

Bike Setup:   Gary Fisher Sugar 4.0

Submitted by stu a Weekend Warrior from Florida

Date Reviewed: February 26, 2004

Strengths:    Its not

Weaknesses:    It is

Bottom Line:
Bought this about three years ago, but only used it about a dozen times. The upper clips and straps broke as I pulled away sharply from a stop sign and turned. THere is no lateral support on this carrier. The clips are the same plastic clips on my tennis backpack. However, it turns out that the straps are different top and bottom, something I hadn't realised, and I had them on the wrong way round. However since they have the same cheap plastic clips I'm not convinced it would have made a difference.Fortunately the road was deserted and my new Maxima only got a slighht scratch on the bumper. Bell are replacing it, but its costing me $17 to ship the old one back! Anyway, I'll try it with the straps in the correct position, and see what happens.I don't believe anone should buy this carrier.

Purchased At:   Forgot

Bike Setup:   two Walmart $99 specials

Submitted by Arvin a Weekend Warrior from Hayward, CA USA

Date Reviewed: September 18, 2003

Strengths:    Good for carrying one bike only and with straps around it.

Weaknesses:    Not recommended for freeway use. Had scratches on 2 new bikes the first I used it and drove on the freeway driving only 65mph. Second time I used it and saw the bikes moving upwards and sideways, Bought a Yakima ROC4 at REI and ordered a Hitch Receiver for my car.

Bottom Line:
This bike is only good to carry one bike with straps secured on the bars. Dont buy this rack if you intend to carry 2 or 3 bikes.

Favorite Trail:   All Trails

Similar Products Used:   Thule Speedway 961

Bike Setup:   Specialized Hardrock, Novara Aspen

Submitted by Cindy a Weekend Warrior from Feeding Hills, Ma

Date Reviewed: July 13, 2003

Strengths:    quick to take off

Weaknesses:    quick to fall off

Bottom Line:
The plastic clips broke on the highway on our way to vacation and an 18 wheeler cruched my 3 kids bikes in front of them, nice start to vacation!!!!!

Purchased At:   walmart

Submitted by Todd a Weekend Warrior from Holland,MI

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2003

Strengths:    None

Weaknesses:    The plastic clasps are weak! I went thru 2 carriers in a week! this is junk DONT BUY!

Bottom Line:
JUNK * 10 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DONT BUY!

Purchased At:   wal mart

Bike Setup:   trek

Submitted by Robert a Weekend Warrior from Altoona, PA

Date Reviewed: March 29, 2003

Strengths:    It was cheap and easy to attach to my Explorer

Weaknesses:    It was harder to put it back in the box - after finding out the darn thing doesn't even fit my Giant Iguana bike - than getting out.

Bottom Line:
Great price, however it's $25 too much plus the time to take it back. Sucks that my bike wouldn't even fit on it. I can't say for sure, but I wouldn't want to rely on the plastic wraps that are supposed to hold the bike in place.

Favorite Trail:   Shawnee

Bike Setup:   Giant Iguana, pretty much stock

Submitted by Sean a Weekend Warrior from San Diego, California

Date Reviewed: June 16, 2000

Strengths:    Inexpensive. Fairly simple to setup. Folds and stores well.

Weaknesses:    This rack hates the laws of aerodynamics -- unstable, especially when driving over 35 mph. No way of keeping the car and the bike from colliding while driving.

Bottom Line:
Bell's one-rack-for-any-car approach is good in theory, but I bet they never really tested this product. It requires patience to install, an extra bit of strength to secure the mounting straps, and a good set of bungee cords to keep the bike mounted. If you're on a budget, like I am, and an expensive Yakima or Thule is out of the question, there are ways to work around the Stow-N-Go's limitations. If you value your car's paint job, do not attempt to use this bike rack for freeway or distance commutes. On the plus side, my bike hasn't suffered any real damage, and if secured in that "special way", the rack can be serviceable for surface street travel. Also, tying a towel or old t-shirt to the pedal seems to help protect the car in transit. But the bottom line is no rack, even a $50 rack, should require this much work.

Favorite Trail:   Lake Hodges

Similar Products Used:   My friend's pickup truck.

Bike Setup:   Specialized Hardrock A1 Comp, pretty much stock.

Submitted by Christy Carson a Weekend Warrior from Slippery Rock, PA

Date Reviewed: April 24, 2000

Strengths:    Cheap and that's it!!!!!!

Weaknesses:    My fiance and I had just purchased new bikes and had them in layaway since February. We got them out on April 14 and bought one of the Bell Bike Racks. We had not gotten a chance to ride our bikes yet and took them home over Easter weekend to show our families and pick up a bike for a friend. We were driving home that Saturday night being very careful not to hit bumps etc when we heard a crash and immediately pulled over. The bike rack was still attached to the car but all three bikes were laying on the ground with mangled wheels and brake systems. Not to mention my new Plymouth Neon that I just purchased a few weeks ago now has several deep scratches on the bumper!!!!! The only thing that kept the bikes on were the extra cords we had attached to the rack. As for the rack, the straps had snapped and the strap buckles were broken in half. Also it took us over 40 minutes late at night to repack my car with three bikes! Trust me Bell Sports will be hearing from me!!!!!!!

Bottom Line:
The Bottom line is this product is cheap and you should use it with caution.

Favorite Trail:   Nearby park trails

Similar Products Used:   First time buyer.

Bike Setup:   Set it up on back of Plymouth Neon---it was a 3 bike carrier.