Bauer Revolution Swing-Away Receiver Hitch Bike Rack Bike Rack

3.8/5 (35 Reviews)

Bauer Revolution Swing-Away Receiver Hitch Bike Rack

Submitted by Minister a Weekend Warrior from CA

Date Reviewed: August 5, 2007

Weaknesses:    Weak parts. BVG XE-2 has a locking mechanism that plain sucks and is NOT SAFE. Whoever allowed the use of the hat cap as a locking mechanism for the "Saftey Pin" should've been fired.

The hat cap can easily pop off with very little jolting. I lost the hat cap during a recent bike trip over minimal rough terrain and although I was lucky enough to get home safely, it could have been a bad situation for others on the road if the safety pin had been lost. After checking out the bike rack further, the same hat cap is used to secure a second bolt. If both are lost, you can kiss your rack and bikes good-bye since that second bolt connects the main rack to the hitch connector...

I hope BVG is no longer using this stupid hat cap for any of their other products. Go with a bolt and nut instead.

Bottom Line:

BVG XE-2 is not safe! replace the bolt and hat cap with a screw bolt and nut if you already own one.

Submitted by david from pinole

Date Reviewed: February 20, 2005

Strengths:    NOT A SINGLE ONE o wait IT'S GOOOOONNNN YAHOOOO!

Weaknesses:    PIECE OF CRAP, SWINGS ALL OVER THE PLACE SHAKES THE BIKE EVERYWHERE, EASY TO STEAL A BIKE OFF, ROCKS AROUND, CANT FIT 4 BIKES WITH THE 4 BIKE ADDAPTOR, BARELY FITS 2 STANDARD, 45 MINUTES TO LOAD BIKES, WONT FIT BIKES WITH TOP TUBE SHOCK ORE STEEP ANGLES WITHOUT SKIMPY ADDAPTOR CRAP.

Bottom Line:
Ordered the new 2005 Sportworks FR rack. Saw it at Interbike, very nice. Stock carries 2 bikes can add a 3rd & 4th carrier for more fun. BVG thinks customers are to make money off & thats the bottom line in their eyes. The rack has not improved because that would take time & money that they dont want to loose. The same complaints come up over & over & nothing gets better, once again time & money. Buy a real carrier not a piece of CRAPP. My value rating is -10 flamin chillis & overall rating -10 flamin chillis if their was a rating for customer support it would be -1000000000000000 flamin chilis, thats the help i recived from them, -Zerro from a Zerro.

Purchased At:   the pedaler el sobrante

Similar Products Used:   GMC Safari van, awsome vehicle for transport.

Bike Setup:   XC, DH, FR, BMX

Submitted by Sung C a Cross Country Rider from Northern CA

Date Reviewed: August 16, 2004

Strengths:    Easy fold down feature. Solid build. Good options: hitch lock, rattle free locking system, trigger switch system to lower the rack.

Weaknesses:    None that I have found yet.

Bottom Line:
This review is for the BVG XE2 Evolution model. The Evolution model has a fold down feature instead of Revolution's swing out feature. That being said, I have talked with many and read mtbr reviews very closely before deciding on this rack.

The design of the rack is very compact vs. others that offers same capabilities. The fold down feature is one of the nicest feature that this rack offers versus others (i.e. Yakima, Thule, Softride). The trigger switch is easy to use. The BVG also comes with various options which complement the rack nicely. Hitch lock with rattle free locking system works great. I did not hear any rattles from the hitch as I drove on the freeway with 2 bikes.

As far as pricing, even as new it seemed to be reasonable compared to others. Fortunately for me, I found someone selling his for $100 locally. At that price, I couldn't pass it up.

The biggest complain that I see on the reviews for this rack has to do with security. Coming from not so friendly part of LA, I have learned to not trust any single locking mechanism. Someone mentioned a security cable. A cable cutter will cut that through in seconds. Matter of fact, the best security is to keep the bikes in view. Any rack can be easily compromised if someone has just a wrench and time. That being said, why would this rack be any different. Security flaws exist on every single rack.

For the price of the rack, overall design, and features, I feel that this is one of the best rack out there in the marketplace.

Favorite Trail:   St. Joseph

Purchased At:   Craiglist

Similar Products Used:   Softride Access, Rhode Gear Spare Tire shuttle

Submitted by Greg a Cross Country Rider from Seattle, WA

Date Reviewed: July 23, 2004

Strengths:    Swing away feature, solid build.

Weaknesses:    THIS THING DOES NOT ACTUALLY LOCK YOUR BIKE TO THE RACK!! You can simply slide a bike right out of the thing by pulling on it at an angle. BE CAREFUL AND DOUBLE LOCK IF YOU ALREADY HAVE ONE OF THESE!!

Bottom Line:
I like the swing-out feature, it's nice to be able to get into the back of my truck easliy. I also use it as a workstand since it grabs the bike by the frame. I wish that I had not bought it though as a friend's K2 got ripped off from my driveway because I thought the thing locked bike frames to the rack as advertised. They don't even provide a U-bolt on the rack to attach a cable lock to.

Favorite Trail:   Pilchuck

Purchased At:   The Sports Rack

Bike Setup:   Motobecane Fantom Elite DS

Submitted by badattitude a Cross Country Rider from seattle

Date Reviewed: May 20, 2004

Strengths:    good for our old 97 expidition. somthing, some how, some way is diffrent on our 2004 expi. for some reason i cant quite figure out. it will not sway and lock in the fully open possition. the inside most bike hits the passenger side quarter pannel.

Weaknesses:    Securty!! i highly recomend using plenty of locks and chains and attatch them to the class 3 trailer hitch safty loops.... Scratching. i highly recomend using the 'things' they sorta grab the stem and the seat post creating another toptube that you wont care about.

Bottom Line:
bottem line is, it's pretty avrage. it works great for me but its a hassle to get 2 bikes off and on and getting them tied on without scratching the he|| out of them. i'm glad i saw the securty issue. i put my bike on there and locked it and saw that i could get my bike off without the kee. i see one guy had problims with suport. i'll never buy anything from them again. btw. what LBS did he get the thing from? i'll never buy anything from them either. companys like this need to know that the most importent part is NOT getting the check.

Favorite Trail:   devils gulch & ranger creek

Bike Setup:   trek fuel, specialized enduro pro, kona stinkie D and a BMX ohh and my HT

Submitted by Lucy Goodwin a Cross Country Rider from Fort Collins, CO, USA

Date Reviewed: April 23, 2004

Strengths:    Nice looking, locking spare tire rack (this is Bauer's BVG Spare tire rack, not the revolution, but I think it is important that anyone considering this rack to benefit from my unfortunate experience)

Weaknesses:    Relatively expensive considering that it is easily broken and may result in theft or loss of your bikes unless they are under constant immediate supervision. The precise weakness is the locking bolt that attaches the rack to the mounting plate on the spare tire.

Bottom Line:
Both bikes were locked to the rack, which was locked to my car which was parked in front of a busy restaurant in a busy parking lot for about 45 minutes. When we came back outside, both bikes and most of the rack were gone without a trace (excluding the mount-plate and the distal end of the locking bolt, which was sheared off). Why pay good money for a bike rack that locks but is easy to steal anyways? The bottom line is that this rack, although it locks and is relatively expensive, is not secure and won't prevent theft in a well lit (this occurred at 3 in the afternoon on a sunny day), busy parking lot. I don't know about the warranty; it doesn't seem that they are likely to cover this sort of thing based on the fine print, and the warranty folks at Bauer have been conveniently out of the office every time I call.

DON'T BUY THIS MODEL IF YOU WANT A SECURE RACK!

IF YOU ALREADY OWN ONE, CONSIDER ADDITIONAL LOCKING DEVICES TO SECURE YOUR BIKES TO THE FRAME OF YOUR VEHICLE!

Favorite Trail:   hall ranch

Purchased At:   USAracks

Similar Products Used:   some cheaper model with no locking device-different brand that I can't remember...but was equally effective in thwarting bike theives!

Bike Setup:   well, they were nice hardtail mountain bikes with decent componentry but they're gone now! One of them was a (scuffed up) silver Ibex Alpine 550 frame with Rock Shock Pilot C forks, silver Easton Monkey Bars, XT front and rear derailleurs and disk brakes on the very off chance anyone has seen it! The other was a new stock Specialized HardRock Pro (black with grey flames). So if someone tries to sell them to you, they were stolen... (yeah, right!)

Submitted by Ken a Cross Country Rider from Salt Lake City, UT

Date Reviewed: March 25, 2004

Strengths:    The swing away mechanism on this rack is better than any others I've tried. I've got the two bike add-on and routinely carry 4 bikes on the rack. The rack swings easily and is solid as a rock. I have a Ford Econoline van and was skeptical whether it would swing wide enough, but it clears the back doors easily.

It comes with a locking hitch pin as well as the lock for the bikes. There is no easy way to steal a bike from this rack.

It has a tripple system for securing the rack during transit that ensures that it doesn't rattle and that there is no way it will come unlatched during transit.

I shopped around for a quite a while before purchasing it. I couldn't find another rack in this price range that came anywhere close to the quality.

Weaknesses:    It is pretty heavy compared to other racks I've used. It looks like it's possible to damage your bike frame if you crank down too hard on the rack. I've been careful not to do that and haven't had any problems, yet.

Bottom Line:
If you're looking for a swing-away rack, I think this is the best rack for the money. After seeing the wide range of prices on some of the other reviews when buying mine, I realized that many are talking about the Bauer Evolution, not the Revolution. The Evolution looks like a good rack, too, but it folds instead of swinging away. It's definitely worth the extra dinero if you ask me. The lowest price I could find on the Revolution is $249.

Purchased At:   Hitchsource.com

Similar Products Used:   Thule Trailblazer
Yakima Roc'n Gate

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Jekyl 1000
Cannondale R2000

Submitted by Bob Adkins a Downhiller from Dallas, TX, USA

Date Reviewed: March 7, 2004

Strengths:    Excellent quality rack. Love the swing away feature...helps me to get into my SUV with ease. Strong and lockable as well. Hitch receiver mounts fast.

Weaknesses:    None that I have found.

Bottom Line:
I highly recommend this rack. And the Bike Racks USA guys http://www.bike-racks.biz, offered free shipping and my product got to me the next day!!

Favorite Trail:   Keystone

Purchased At:   http://www.bike-racks.biz

Similar Products Used:   Owned a Yakima hitch before. Good rack, but almost twice the price and less quality.

Submitted by Forrest Carmichael from Atherton,CA

Date Reviewed: August 6, 2003

Strengths:    Sturdy and solid. I like that it holds the bikes firmly. I also use and like the ski rack attachment. The swing away feature is great with our mini-van.

Weaknesses:    The bolt holding the top tube clamp is too short. Many bikes now have different size and shape top tubes and my kids' Treks do not fit. I have tried the alternative bike adapter but it is too wobbly. How hard could it be for Bauer to make the bolt 1/2 or 3/4 inch longer or, better yet, to offer a longer bolt as an accessory/option?

Bottom Line:
I would like Bauer to offer a longer bolt as an option. I would then call it a great rack.

Favorite Trail:   Old La Honda

Purchased At:   Sports Rack

Submitted by david a Downhiller from pinole, ca, usa

Date Reviewed: July 26, 2003

Strengths:    swings around alot

Weaknesses:    swings around alot, had to install washer to stabilize. when washer wears out i have to replace it again. when the rack wears out the bikes will fall down.

Bottom Line:
rack was sloppy om the fit for the upright that holds the bikes, lbs didnt seem to feel this to be a problem. was missing a hat cap nut for a swing pin, installed a bolt & nut. lbs called bauer, said they would send cap nut out. this went on for one year. called bauer direct they said they would send it to lbs, once again another year went by still no nut & too many calls. year #3 e-mailed bauer, e-mailed back & forth, talked with a tamara (cust rep) she asked for a drawing of how it is wearing out, sahe called back said this might take awhile to resolve. didnt hear back for about four months, e-mailed backe to say hello, she said the cap nut is at the local dealer waiting for me. gee what about the 3/4 inch sway may rack does without the washer & slowly wearing its self out? they dont care about their product & think customers are only for their proffit. DONT WASTE YOUR TIME OR HARD EARNED MONEY get a real rack ^ make sure your lbs will warranty or guarantee the product.

Purchased At:   the peddaler, el sobrante

Bike Setup:   santa cruz supa8, yeti 8in, haro xc, marin xc

Submitted by eltoro a Cross Country Rider from sacramento

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2003

Strengths:    The rack swings out of the away from the vehicle allowing access to my SUV. The rack is lockable out of the box and can carry up to four bikes with add on extention (sold separately).

Weaknesses:    No weakness, it is the only rack I would own.

Bottom Line:
The rack is a great product to own and the service I recieved at Sportsrack (www.sportsrack.com) was equally as great.

Favorite Trail:   hole in the ground

Purchased At:   sportsrack, mail order

Similar Products Used:   Previously owned the Bauer Evolution rack, its fold down feature was not as convenient as is the Revolution swing away.

Submitted by Richard a Weekend Warrior from bailey, co

Date Reviewed: March 8, 2003

Strengths:    This rack feels lighter, feels better built, and has a bike fastening system that is easier to use.

I preferred the size (holds 2 - expandable to 4).

Assembly out of the box was exceptionally easy. The rack feels rock-solid.

I especially like the trigger release mechanism.

Weaknesses:    The locking mechanisms (both hitch and bike) can be compromised easily (would stop a casual bike thief - but not a pro).

I suggest a cable lock if you use the 2-bike extension (easily removed)

Bottom Line:
Cheaper than the "leader" - but better at first glance.

My first impression is generally positive. Address the security issues - and I'll be a long-time fan.

Favorite Trail:   lost creek area

Purchased At:   sports rack online

Similar Products Used:   Yakima roc n gate 4. (Could not stand the strap system).

Submitted by Tony from La.

Date Reviewed: February 26, 2003

Strengths:    Well built, option of 2or4 bikes.

Weaknesses:    When you add the 3/4 bike tube it wobbles at that point. But when i bungie cord the bikes to the anti wobble stick its rock solid as any other. It would be nice if there was a loop weled to the post so that a bike cable can be run thru it, to be able to lock the wheels.

Bottom Line:
I got the tilt down because it's much lighter and easy to store in the garage specially without the extra bike (3&4th) bike extender tube on. BTW if you get the extra bike tube, get them to match both lock sets. Great product from a reliable dealer.

Purchased At:   SportsRack

Similar Products Used:   Performance (non tilt)

Bike Setup:   Rock hopper FSR

Submitted by VM a Weekend Warrior from Northern California

Date Reviewed: December 17, 2002

Strengths:    Simple design. I got the Evolution that tilts instead of swings because it's lighter for my Class II hitch. Nice that the rack locks to the car and the bikes lock to the rack. Snow board/ski accessory for 4 season functionality. Reflector on back.

Weaknesses:    Even with anti-wobble stick and anti-sway hitch pin system, rack still bounces slightly on all three of the cars I use this rack on. The clamp mechanism allows from back sway of the bikes even when tightened down pretty hard and with the ant-wobble stick. Takes several minutes longer to get the bike on/off if you're using the wobble stick as you have to thread the straps through the stick and onto the bikes.

Bottom Line:
Nice rack for the money. I didn't want a heavy Sport Works transit style rack weighing down my cars, so I got the BVG. It works, and works fairly well. I wanted something that was easy to store, which this BVG is (not bulky and doesn't take up a lot of closet/garage space). Nice in that you can get a ski/snowboard adapter, however the adapter is pricey.

I can live with the extra 3-5 minutes it takes to thread the straps to the anti-wobble stick and some slight bounce and rock to the bikes. The thing that I don't like is the fact that your top tube gets scratched and marked up quite easly, even when using the anti-wobble stick. However, I believe this will happen with any carrier that clamps to the top tube.

The quality of the unit is quite high, and you can tell quite a bit of thought was put into it's design. Feels heavy duty. However, the finish is flaking off at some of the points where things screw in or pivot, and where it flakes off, there is some slight corrosion/rust at some parts.

If I had to do it again for myself, and I had better hitches on my vehicles and more money, I would probably get the Sport Works system as you simply drop the wheels into the tray and hoop and put the stick over it. However, for my current situation and the value behind it, I've actually recommended and purchased one for my parents vehicle as well (for 2" receiver hitches vs my 1 1/4" receiver).

Over all, comparing apples to apples, like to a Rhode Gear Hitchhiker, this is definitely one of the better single post hitch mount racks out there. It's slightly higher in price, but also better designed.

Purchased At:   SportsRack