Advantage Sports Rack V-Rack Bike Rack

3.5/5 (2 Reviews)

This product folds neatly in a rugged carrying/storage pouch that fits nicely in a small trunk space. Slip it out of the pouch and slide it over the ball of your vehicle's hitch. Literally, within seconds the rack is installed and ready for the road.

Submitted by Patrick Mowers a Weekend Warrior from Owensboro, KY

Date Reviewed: September 9, 2002

Strengths:    Quick, simple, compact, fast easy install and removal

Weaknesses:    bicycle clamp straps are made of elastomer.
you need bungee cords to stabilize the front wheels.
Your trailer hitch-tube needs to stick out a bit from the bumper

Bottom Line:
I have tried a number of combinations of bicycles on this 2 bike rack. They have all fit without a problem and in any combination and without needing those expensive crossbars for bikes without one.
A major selling point for me is that I can still pull my little trailer on my S-10 without a bit of problem. The mount I got scissors onto the 2" hitch tube and an arm snaps in place. Besides a steel button lock, the arm also is drilled for a padlock (get long shank locks (2)). The more weight on the rack, the tighter it clamps to the hitch tube. The rubber cushion/cradles have an elastomer band which stretches over the bike frame and then over a retaining prong. The cradles accomodated my steel frame's tear drop shaped down tube as well as my wifes 3-speed and my road bike. The straps looked iffy but with over 1500 miles hauling bikes, they work. There is also an attached coated steel cable that can be used to lock the bikes to the carrier.

Purchased At:   REI