1upUSA Aluminum Roof Rack Bike Rack

1up USA Aluminum Quik-Rack Bicycle Roof Tray

Submitted by Wayne Lewis

Date Reviewed: May 27, 2013

Strengths:    Securely holds bike by the tyres without touching the frame. Easy to get bike in and out. Adjustable for different diameter wheels.

Weaknesses:    No built in lock, but can easily use cable lock.

Bottom Line:
I have two of these 1upUSA Roof Rack Bike Racks. They are the most secure and reassuring of any roof bike rack that I've used.

After I worked out how to position the arms, loading and unloading the bike became simple. The trick was to have the back arm in the right postion to hold the back wheel, and to have the front arm fully open. With the back wheel securely in the arm, and the front wheel in the channel, the bike is stable enough that you don't have to hold it and can close the front wheel clamp at your leisure. Once clamped, the front wheel can turn ever so slightly at the head tube, but there is no risk of it coming out of the rack.

If you have aero bars, make sure you mention this at order time so that you get the correct sized mounting brackets. I forgot this with the second rack I bought, and received brackets for the smaller square section bars. 1up's customer service was excellent though, and they have shipped me a set of the correct brackets, no questions asked.

Given that the same mechanism is used to clamp the bike in the hitch rack, most of my comments and ratings will apply to the hitch rack as well. Highly recommended.

Submitted by utheissen a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: April 10, 2012

Strengths:    Clean, smart no nonsense design. Easy to use. Well built, folds extremely flat and looks better and more beefy on the car than in pictures. Low wind noise. Won't rust. Really fast loading and unloading, I now need approx 20 seconds. Bikes of different sizes are securely held. Great and approachable customer support by the people who actually build these.

Weaknesses:    No lock but most locks are not really safe anyway. If needed, the bike can be secured with a cable through the frame.

Bottom Line:
One of the products that make you feel good every time you use it.
I bought two of these and mounted them onto the new Whispbar car rails. The Whispbars are much wider than the usual car racks and 1upUSA milled me a wider clamp to fit these at no extra cost. They now have some available for customers with the same setup. Now that's customer service! These guys stand behind their product.
My friend's first reaction: "what's that?" and after loading/unloading their bike..."really cool!"
Very happy with the purchase.

Purchased At:   www.1upusa.com

Similar Products Used:   Yakima Raptor roof rack, Saris Thelma hitch rack

Bike Setup:   Hauls all my bikes - Cross, Mountain, Kids bike (secure with bungee), you name it

Submitted by Maineiacs a Racer from Maine

Date Reviewed: November 7, 2011

Strengths:    After having been through a variety of competng products over the years (Thule, Yakima), this is hands down the higest quality, most secure, easiest to use roof rack that I have experienced. It's an engineering and machining marvel and the heavyweight aluminum construction won't rust and holds the bikes more securely than anything I've owned. It's expensive, although not that much more than the competing brands but the quality, functionality, etc. make it a bargain buy. Customer service was outstanding also - real people at the other end of the phone and quick shipping.

Weaknesses:    Slightly more expensive than (much) lower-quality competitors

Bottom Line:
If you are looking for a "lifetime" quality rack with superior functioning and quality, look no further. I believe I have gotten much more than I've paid for versus the highest profile competitor rack systems. On top of it all, it's a piece of engineering and maching art.

Favorite Trail:   ITS 89 and connectors

Purchased At:   1upUSA

Similar Products Used:   Thule, Yakima

Bike Setup:   Used to haul everything from my TT bikes, Cross bikes, Mountain bikes and roadracing bikes.

Submitted by helifitz a Cross Country Rider from VA

Date Reviewed: November 6, 2011

Strengths:    Extremely well designed and very well built.
Very easy to use.
Made in the USA!

Bottom Line:
It takes less than 30 seconds to load or unload a bike from this rack. The bike is held much more securely than other comparable racks.

It is a well thought out design and the rack itself is quite simple.

Awesome!

Purchased At:   1up USA

Bike Setup:   Using with a Thule base roof rack and 29er mountain bike

Submitted by Julesmama a Cross Country Rider from asheville, nc

Date Reviewed: November 6, 2011

Strengths:    sturdy, well designed, won't rust, super low profile, easy to use

Bottom Line:
This is hands down the best bike rack I've owned, and I've owned several. I have the 1up USA Quick Rack hitch rack on my CRV and love it. I was surprised not to find any reviews on mtbr for the roof trays but having already used and loved the Quick Rack, I decided to get the roof trays for my other vehicle. I previously had the Thule Sidearm and Yakima High Roller. The design of them both seemed ridiculous after purchasing the 1up USA racks. These are so simple, sturdy, versatile (I ride a Mountain Scooter occasionally with 20 and 16" wheels), and EASY to use. Plus they'll never rust like my Thule racks did after only a year.

Favorite Trail:   anything in pisgah