1upUSA Aluminum Quik-Rack Bicycle Hitch Carrier Bike Rack

4.83/5 (126 Reviews)

The New All-Aluminum Bike Rack/Carrier from 1up USA. The fastest hitch-mounting and bike loading rack ever. Carry 1,2 or 3 bikes. Holds bikes by tires only. Made entirely in the USA!

1up USA Bike Rack Pro Review

1Up USA is famous for their bike trainers so we were excited at the opportunity to try their bike racks. At first glance, it looks like a science project as the whole unit looks CNC’d and the bike retention mechanism looks unlike any we’ve seen before. But as we used it extensively, we learned about the logic behind the design. This is a unit of the highest quality and it folds up in to such a small package when shipped or stored. It can get work with one tray or be expanded like a Lego system in to a versatile multi-bike rack. Continue reading →

Submitted by Neil

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2015

Strengths:    Simple to operate. Releasing the bike locking mechanism takes only a time or two to learn. Folding the system is pretty easy as well. If you have minimal storage space, buy this. It stores in its original, high quality cardboard shipping box and fits on a shelf. Very light. I sometimes actually mount it on my car to work on the bike outside on a nice day. It is that convenient and easy to use.

Weaknesses:    None really. If I had to nitpick, I slightly worry about the slight wear on the ratchet bars. Taking care to hold the release mechanism in a neutral position as you lower the support arms does minimize wear. If you don't know what I am talking about, you will after you get the rack and use it once. Remember though, this is a nitpick! Not a real concern.

Bottom Line:
This is simply the best rack I have ever seen or used, PERIOD! Ultra high quality. Totally solid, does not sway or rock like other racks. Simple to mount. Simple to put bike on. Easy to take bike off. Simple to dismount. Ultra high quality. No molded parts, all cast or machined. Movable parts all anodized to stand out. No plastic, anywhere! Even has reflective tape that shows when flipped up! Easy to access trunk or hatch by rotating rack down (with bikes mounted). Security not an issue in my book. Simple bike rack lock does the trick. They make accessory locks as well. If you don't want to store and carry around an expensive, bulky and awkward mount, just buy this already. If you regret it, they will refund your money even.

Submitted by monkies a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: January 29, 2015

Strengths:    Easy as F to get the bike on/off
Installs very easily since it's light (for the 1 bike system)

Weaknesses:    Pricey. But it's made in the USA so you have to pay up.
Security features and little touches are non-existent.
Although I haven't read any issues about the rack being held in by friction, a hitch pin or backup plan would be great.

Bottom Line:
Looks: It is pretty, but I wouldn't say it's the most gorgeous thing around. It kind of looks like something a kid made in a shop class. That being said, maybe someone won't try to steal it. It is pretty in it's own way, but the Kuat looks more awesome and modern.

Weight: So this is where the weight consideration comes into play...I primarily need to carry 1 bike, so I got the 1 bike carrier...that is light (i think <30lbs) so I can carry it out of my garage with one hand. If you need to carry 2 bikes, the 2 bike system is basically the same as a Thule/Kuat and needs two hands to carry. So if you mainly carry 1 bike, and don't want to scratch your bikes, this is THE tray rack to get. Buy the add-on for when you need to carry more bikes! Totally modular and awesome.

Features: It's easy as pie to load/unload the bikes. Easy to install as well since you turn a bold to tension the rack in the hitch (it's held by friction). Other than that, no bike security features, or little touches (e.g. the Kuat bike stand, and bike locks are just great to have). No bike security feature is perfect, but something would be nice...I have a u-lock and cable in my trunk for times I need to leave my bikes on the car.

Reliability: I just bought this so I can't speak to it yet. However, I did buy a used 2 bike system from 1Up (which I returned because 90% of the time I carry 1 bike and it was too heavy to constantly pull on/off my car)...the used rack was a little chewed up on the ratchet mechanism teeth, the ratchet mechanism wasn't as smooth as the new one I got, and a few little gouges on the aluminum...I don't know how long the previous owner had it or what, but it wasn't at the same level as my new one by far. I can't speak to reviewers saying they've had this for years and it's flawless, since this used one wasn't 'perfect.'

Purchased At:   1up

Similar Products Used:   Thule Helium (absolute garbage...scratched up both my bikes and a pain to load/unload)

Submitted by Kris a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: October 29, 2014

Strengths:    Rarely write reviews, but this unit is too good to ignore. Been through many iterations of Thule and Yakima racks. Its simple and effective, and no plastic parts. So very solid to date. Totally dig it.

Weaknesses:    Somewhat expensive, but it may be my last rack. Takes a little finesse to operate the levers and release technique, but it becomes second nature quickly. I bet the more expensive black anodized version looks even cooler.

Bottom Line:
This is a fine example of a superbly engineered US built, bike rack that will give you piece of mind whilst transporting your overpriced steed!

Favorite Trail:   Yedvarts

Duration Product Used:   About 4 months now.

Purchased At:   http://www.1upusa.co

Similar Products Used:   Thule Heilum 3, Many old Yakima racks

Bike Setup:   Niner SIR 9 SS
BMC FS01 Fourstroke Trailcrew

Submitted by Doug

Date Reviewed: October 2, 2014

Strengths:    A beautiful piece of engineering. Solid, well-built, and SO easy to use. We bought the heavy-duty two-bike version because we have two electric-assisted Stromers in addition to my road bike. The rack had no problem accommodating them despite their weight, and it worked flawlessly. I initially ordered the regular rack by mistake, and 1UPUSA's customer support in accepting the returned rack and sending me the correct one was superb. They even sent additional parts to me at no charge because of a possibility that my fendered bike was too wide for their standard configuration.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
1UPUSA makes a finely engineered, solid, easy-to-use rack, and they back it up with great service. Highly recommended. I couldn't be more pleased.

Submitted by rionapo a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: September 19, 2014

Strengths:    This review relates to the 1Up heavy duty hitch rack. It is a solid, stable bike carrier suitable for back-road and off-road travel. Ike's are easy to load, are held securely and the rack doesn't move.

Weaknesses:    We carry the bikes on a front hitch. They wobble sometimes when trucks blow by us. The wobble is not damaging to the bikes.

Bottom Line:
The bike rack to use for back road travel. We drove almost 4000 miles over the summer, mixed highway and back country. Not a single problem with the rack.

Similar Products Used:   Yakima swingaway rack mount, Thule tray mount, Yakima fork mount

Bike Setup:   Two Jamis hard tails.

Submitted by Roshan Gidwani

Date Reviewed: August 30, 2014

Strengths:    Easy install and uninstall. Quick and easy bike load and unload. Accommodates any kind of bike. Modular design. Made in America. Good people. Good service.

Bottom Line:
I returned a popular name brand hitch mounted bike rack to get the 1UP USA rack. I have the Double Bicycle Quik Rack (Silver)
(https://www.1upusa.com/product-quikracksilverdouble.html) and a Quik Rack Add on (https://www.1upusa.com/product-addonsilver.html). I normally carry three mountain bikes so the modular system is perfect. All I can say is Wow! I saw the install video on YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWWW-9nYiL8) and installed the rack in minutes. Loading and unloading bikes is super easy. Every time I use the rack I feel that 1UP USA read my mind. Thank you 1UP USA!

Submitted by marty

Date Reviewed: August 22, 2014

Strengths:    Simplicity, design, workmanship, made in U.S. This rack is easily the best available on the market. Having said that it is also competitively priced. I've owned racks by Thule, Rocky Mounts, and Hollywood, and while they all are decent racks, the 1 Up is simply in a much higher category. All aluminum with no rubber or plastic parts to degrade in the sun/weather. I chose the Heavy Duty Quick rack that only works on a 2" receiver and holds two bikes. I am very happy I did. Folds up small when it needs to be stowed. It is an amazing piece of engineering. Congratulations 1 Up. You have really raised the bar.

Weaknesses:    Really none to speak of. Even though the receiver locking bolt is only usable with a special 1 Up Allen wrench, it would have been nice to have a typical receiver hole to put a receiver lock in place. However it is really no big deal because a secondary u-lock or cable could likely be used to connect the rack to a receiver for more security. The instructions provided are pretty weak but that is really nitpicking.

Bottom Line:
Pull the arms down, put the bike on the tray, put the arms back up, done. Amazing system. Every time I use it I am glad I made the switch. After driving into a parking garage without realizing a bike was still on the roof top carrier, I went back to using a 15 year old Hollywood receiver rack. It was nice in its day. However over the years the steel was rusting and the plastic pieces were not holding up. Since a new bike replaced the one that died in the parking garage accident, a new rack was needed as well. The Heavy duty 1 Up Quick rack will likely outlive the bikes and the vehicle.

Submitted by Robert a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: July 7, 2014

Strengths:    Very compacy when not in use. Easy to mount/dismount. Easy to use. Very supportive and holds girls/womens bikes from the bottom, allowing them to be carried evenly as well (something that is not thought about much when considering the racks that carry from the crossbar).

Weaknesses:    n/a

Bottom Line:
We purchased this rack after researching many other brands. We are particularly happy that it is made in the USA and that the quality and workmanship of the rack is exactly what you should expect from an American product, Buy American! The staff at 1upUSA is also very responsive and will guide you through your purchase if you have any questions. We used the carrier to transport our Crusher 7 Fat Tire bikes from Gilbert, AZ to San Diego, California for a long weekend and the ease of the rack was very much appreciated. The rack tucks away nicely and close to the vehicle when not in use and opens back into place quickly when we need to load the bikes up. ***Quick note, if you are purchasing this rack for the Fat Tire bikes, you will need to also purchase the spacer kit for each bike that ypu will be carrying, so don't forget to add the spacer to your cart as well.

Favorite Trail:   Mission Beach to Pacific Beach along the Ocean

Duration Product Used:   5.5 hours one way on a trip

Purchased At:   online at 1upUSA

Submitted by Garrett

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2014

Strengths:    what to add that hasn't been said before. I was really debating whether to get the 1.25 or get the heavy duty 2". Ended up going with the single 1.25" and no regrets, very solid construction.

Weaknesses:    n/a

Bottom Line:
Another satisfied 1up customer

Submitted by Sepp

Date Reviewed: May 28, 2014

Strengths:    Well thought out design and functionality, first class quality of materials and fabrication, several notches above any other bicycle rack on the market. Additional cost compared to other products is a bargain for what one gets.

Weaknesses:    I would suggest that the provided installation instructions could be a bit more clear regarding the importance of "not pushing the rack" through the receiver. Maybe the rack insert should have a hash mark so users don't push rack in too far as I did accidentally. Having said that in a short phone call to 1upUSA I received clear instructions how to fix that little problem.

Bottom Line:
After going through 5 different bicycle racks in the past 40 years I feel for the first time that with this rack 1upUSA has come up with a product that addresses all of the many weaknesses of other racks. I am even more happy that this is Made in the USA .... The apparent higher initial cost is in no relation to the value, longevity, and shear quality and functionality this rack offers. Well done 1upUSA.

Submitted by Dribble a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: February 16, 2014

Strengths:    Very high Quality and USA made, meaning actaully made in the USA. Function and Appearance pleasing. Truly a No nonsense design. Aluminum, rust free and allows multi-use (see Summary). Price? many say its expensive, it is but actaully it is cheap. At $900 for 4 trays, after 10 years it cost less than $100/year or @ 10/month. Knowing prices would probably go up while mine drops over time was the convincing factor. Ease of use is truly incredible, Design allows for simple placement of bikes with no hassles. The outward up sloping design is genius for function and safety.

Weaknesses:    Everything has a weakness but here its minimal. While rack is not in use I keep it lifted up against the rear out of the way as much as possible from my kids. This makes it a little difficult to reach quickly in the rear cargo area for something as you have to "squeeze" between the vehicles rear and the first tray. If someway the trays could be folded while raised against the car that would be awesome. Locking mechansim for bikes can be accomplished with a inexpensive simple cable or even using pin type locks to lock the arms between the wheel and spokes. This still does not secure the frame so a cable is the smart choice. The 2" heavy duty racks hitch piece is two trays and not light but again a cement foundation for a home isn't light either so this is for a purpose. The arms can be adjusted to fit just about any wheel size but not readily, screws need to be moved to accommodate the tire size. My family set up is 26", 26", 24",20" in that order so when just me and my 7 year old go out there is a tray gap and I have to insert the 24" or 20" tray or remove the arms screws. When all bikes are 26" > then adjustments require unscrewing. A latch design where interchanging the arms to different wheel sizes readily would be nice but only if quality, security and function are maintained.

Bottom Line:
This rack is the best on the market, price wise too. So well thought out that I challenge myself on tryginto improve it. Ive had it for 3 years now and its looks and works like the first day I got it. During camping I use it to dryclothing, gear or whatever needs to be hung out to dry, its aluminum. Having towels on the trays also makes it more visable and safe with kids around. I use it to wash bikes and as a rack for minor adjustments and even pumping air in tires. Utah and Colorado have deep curbs and the up slope designs makes it a breeze to pull in and out fromthe street without worrying about bike/rack contact with the ground. Driving to the trailhead on rough dirt roads allows me to maintain my attention on the road not the bikes. My wife and 14 year old think my love for this rack is crazy but they never had to deal with other racks before until now. This rack is inviting as they load and unload on thier own now. I have gotten many compliments nd inquiries on the rack and always tell people that 1 up USA is the real deal, I even mention to not let the sticker price fool you. In the past loading bikes was always the "knot" in preping for a ride, whereas now I actually enjoy it (honestly, don't ask me why). I contacted one reviewer on his less that 5 star rating prior my purchase and he readily admitted to his mistake and felt bad as customer service was more than he imagined. I went through months of researching as my old rack did its job (never beyond) .... so this has been one of my best investments as it makes everything so much more pleasant and enjoyable. The peace of mind (lifetime warranty) gives that "Costco" assurance that the company stands behind its product! 1 up USA is a no brainer for everyone who transports bike(s), by either specific or overall comparison. You will not and can not go wrong here!

Favorite Trail:   Every trail has its unique features as long as its singletrack hidden by the trees im good

Duration Product Used:   3 years plus

Purchased At:   $900

Similar Products Used:   Thule Rac n Loc, several other racks and experiencing stillothers that friends had.

Bike Setup:   Specialized Stumpjumpers kids have Ibex (the best).

Submitted by Brad Wendling

Date Reviewed: December 22, 2013

Strengths:    Arrives already assembled, simple to install, fits 1.25" or 2" hitch, holds up to 4 bikes depending on hitch size, simple to use, easy to mount and remove bikes, folds down to access trunk or lower tailgate, folds up to fit in closet or trunk, beautifully crafted, makes your vehicle and bikes look cooler.

Weaknesses:    No built in locking mechanism. Wheel locks can be purchased or use a chain or cable lock.

Bottom Line:
Best rack on the market and I've owned both Saris hitch and trunk mounted racks along with three different Yakima roof racks. Buy one and you won't regret it!

Submitted by Hophead1 a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: October 30, 2013

Strengths:    Solid construction, heavy cast aluminum pieces for receiver and wheel trays, cnc aluminum pieces for frame, lever and locking arms. adjustable, foldable, tight. no wiggle, no slop, will work with any size bike or wheel, made in USA

Weaknesses:    I wish the add-on bike carriers were a little less expensive. Might look cooler than your bike.

Bottom Line:
Great design. solid aluminum pieces are well machined and smooth. No sloppy or ill-fitting parts. All high quality materials. This is the king of the hill for bike carriers. There is no equal.
The price for a single bike carrier put me off at first because most of these things for sale are bulky, cheap, made-in-china-garbage. They are mostly clunky and sloppy with poor machine work and cheap steel, plastic and rubber and rust within 2 years. the last (name brand) i owned was a rattling disappointment, $ down the drain.
Aside from high quality materials and build quality there is also design. No pin needed for the hitch, it has an internal ball-lock and security tool to tighten it from the back of the bike rack. It takes some effort (nothing a small child couldn't manage) to fold out the wheel trays but they are snug. nothing is loose, nothing rattles, no rubber, no plastic, nothing to rust or rot away. The whole thing folds up small enough to fit in a car trunk. Lift a lever to lower the arms down on the wheels to hold the bike in snug. Easy. The rack can also be laid down to access a trunk or hatch while the carrier is on.
The photos on the website don't quite do it justice. When you see it in person the price tag will be justified and you'll feel good knowing this one will last a long time. It is a bike carrier to envy and topic of conversation at the trail head.

Purchased At:   1UP USA

Bike Setup:   Giant Trance X 29, Large

Submitted by brightride a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: October 16, 2013

Strengths:    Quality, finish, design, burly, heavy duty, secure, great for 4 wheeling with bikes.

Weaknesses:    Expensive. Rack positioning adjustment could be easier, less awkward.

Bottom Line:
Needed a rack that could carry 2 bikes to some of my favorite Colorado and Utah camping spots on rugged 4 wheel drive roads. This is the only rack I witnessed that didn't have some sort of off road exclusion or warning. I purchased the extra heavy duty model that can be extended to hold 4 bikes. I carry just 2 bikes, but wanted the extra strength. Its heavy, but it mounts so solidly and stays that way through the paint shaker affect that 4wd roads can dish up. The bikes themselves move/sway a few inches back and forth, but don't contact each other or my truck. Did the San Juan's Alpine Loop and many other 4wd roads with no issues or worries. No need to constantly glance rearward to check the bikes.

Note, for off roading make sure the tire retention bars compress the tire an inch or more, tire psi ~30-35.

Duration Product Used:   2 years

Submitted by Mike2009

Date Reviewed: October 16, 2013

Strengths:    The quality of construction is outstanding. I was completely blown away when I actually saw this rack up close and examined how it all works....pure genius!

Weaknesses:    I have not observed any weaknesses at this time.

Bottom Line:
I wondered how all the reviews of this rack could possibly be so good...I was very skeptical. After my current rack wore out I decided to take a shot with this rack and all I can say is WOW!!! It is truly amazing...so sturdy, so solid, so well made... after seeing the one bike rack up close I immediately purchased the 2nd bike add on rack... I have no doubt that this rack will last many many many years. There are very few products that I have seen in my 50 years that have impressed me as much as this bike rack. You gotta check this out....it may cost more but it is worth every penny.

Favorite Trail:   Harbins Park Gwinnett Co. GA