1upUSA Aluminum Quik-Rack Bicycle Hitch Carrier Bike Rack

4.85/5 (144 Reviews)

The New All-Aluminum Bike Rack/Carrier from 1up USA. The fastest hitch-mounting and bike loading rack ever. Carry 1,2 or 3 bikes. Holds bikes by tires only. Made entirely in the USA!

1up USA Bike Rack Pro Review

1Up USA is famous for their bike trainers so we were excited at the opportunity to try their bike racks. At first glance, it looks like a science project as the whole unit looks CNC’d and the bike retention mechanism looks unlike any we’ve seen before. But as we used it extensively, we learned about the logic behind the design. This is a unit of the highest quality and it folds up in to such a small package when shipped or stored. It can get work with one tray or be expanded like a Lego system in to a versatile multi-bike rack. Continue reading →

Submitted by Huffman a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: July 18, 2016

Strengths:    Made in the USA! Quick loading & unloading. Stores out of the way allowing me to open the tailgate on my Santa Fe when using the single rack. Doesn't damage the frame or wear the paint. Doesn't care what shape your bike is.

Weaknesses:    Security when connecting a rack add on could be stronger. A pair of channel locks can remove the bolt and you are out $200.

Bottom Line:
I've had my mountain & road bikes on the rack at 80 mph and they are rock steady.The extra height really helps when going in & out of parking garages with steep uphill ramps at the entrance, this is the main reason I bought it. Got tired of cringing when $800 wheels drug the ground. The extra height also keeps it away from the exhaust gasses. That may not seem like much until you have a tire explode going down the interstate because the wheel was a bit too close to the exhaust pipe. Reasonable weight, doesn't take up a lot of room when storing. When using a single rack it's really secure when you add the hitch bar lock. Really nice that you can get multiple locks that are keyed alike. With all the racks I've bought over the years, this is hands down the best, fastest, most functional rack I've ever owned. Yep, it's pricey & requires you invest in a hitch if you don't have one. But when you have $8,000 worth of bikes on the back it's not that much and very secure. It will also be the last rack you'll ever purchase. Get one, you won't regret it.

Favorite Trail:   Bent Creek

Purchased At:   1 UP direct

Similar Products Used:   Saris (Bones & hitch), Thule (roof & hitch), Hollywood (hitch)

Bike Setup:   Niner Jet 9 with American Classic Wide Lightnings, Hope hubs, Shimano drivetrain & brakes.

Submitted by William a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: July 4, 2016

Strengths:    Solid metal all the way around.. no plastic that will crack or dry rot. So durable.. I got rear-ended by a car and the rack took all the damage and no damage was done to my jeep.. the car on the other hand had its hood peeled by 18 inches. The rack was usable.. it was just a little bent.

Bottom Line:
I know its a little on the pricey side.. but I believe its the last bike rack I will ever have to buy. It was well worth it.

Bike Setup:   Trek X Caliber 9

Submitted by Larry a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: May 10, 2016

Strengths:    Aluminum will never rust. Solid, with nice highlighted blue tabs. I got the black version. Easy to operate and get bikes on and off in no time. No touch on the frame, only the tires. Nice locking system into the receiver. The rack looks like it is supposed to be expensive, not just a flimsy piece of construction using painted metal that costs way more than it looks. I bought the single with a rack add-on. Using mainly in the single version with fatty conversion so I can carry anything. Easy to add on when I’m carrying two bikes. Fits my fatty with 4.8 tires and 29er easily.
Really like how this tucks away towards the bumper on my Subaru. Does not impede the hatch from opening when in folded up position. Looks like it belongs with the vehicle.
When I ordered this, they sent it out the next day and I got it in three days by courier. Free delivery as well beyond $525

Bottom Line:
This is the one to go with . . you will not be disappointed!

Submitted by John Klauck a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: April 15, 2016

Strengths:    Extremely High Quality. Easy to install, remove, and operate. Very solid. All Aluminum construction. Great price. Love it.

Weaknesses:    An accessory light kit would be nice.

Bottom Line:
Finally a product that truly delivers! The quality, and workmanship, is second to none. Fit and finish is perfect. Rack comes fully assembled, short of the ratchet arms, and is ready to rock straight out of the box. Even the packaging is extremely high quality. There is no need to look at other racks. This one is the best of the best. This American made product can be rivaled by none. The quality, pride, and craftsmanship is blatantly obvious the minute it's dropped off at your door. Don't hesitate. Get this rack.

Favorite Trail:   Cuyuna

Duration Product Used:   As much as possible

Purchased At:   All bike for Angry C

Similar Products Used:   Thule, Yakima, Sarris. All inferior products.

Bike Setup:   Mukluk and Bear Grease Fat Bikes, Chili ConCrosso, Madone

Submitted by Dennis a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: April 8, 2016

Strengths:    Clean, compact, easy to use, easy to secure, folds up close to car, well made, no plastic.

Weaknesses:    Expensive, but worth it

Bottom Line:
Very happy with purchase, expect many years of use

Duration Product Used:   3 mos

Purchased At:   1up usa

Submitted by chris a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: February 3, 2016

Strengths:    Awesome, awesome, awesome. Looks great. Lightweight. when folded up in vertical position...it looks great on back of Jeep. Made in the USA. Good price. Upgradeable to two- three bikes. did I say it was awesome?

Weaknesses:    No cookies came in the box.

Bottom Line:
Look at strengths

Favorite Trail:   Woodstock, GA

Purchased At:   direct

Similar Products Used:   Saris Betty or something like that.

Bike Setup:   29'er Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp

Submitted by Dr Don a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: November 10, 2015

Strengths:    Solid, strong, functional, light, compact, made in USA

Weaknesses:    Expensive?

Bottom Line:
Periodically people will approach me and ask about this rack. I've owned it for over five years. The manufacturer replaced the last generation guide bars secondary to slight slippage. He was willing to pay for shipping the entire rack back which I declined. I know of at least three others that has purchased this rack after seeing mine. I have driven as far as to Az from Ky through snow and rain without issue. I ride year round and have to remind myself to wash off the salt and brine. All alloy so no rust. All alloy so no development of brittle plastic. An added bonus is that my carbon wheels are positioned over the exhaust. After having the rack for so long and with no structural deterioration with frequent use I cant honestly say that this rack is over priced.

Submitted by Ernest S. a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: October 16, 2015

Strengths:    • Fenomenal Bike Rack Quality - Piece of Art
• Comes in not too big of a box 99% assembled
• It takes literally a few minutes to mount it to your car hitch
• No noises or squeaking from bike rack during the drive
• Holds the bikes from they tires very strongly
• It takes no more than 10 sec to secure the bike on the rack or to remove it, just like advertised
• The Rack locks on the car hitch with a special key that you only can get from 1Up USA, so it's almost impossible to steal the rack from the vehicle
• I can open my SUV (2013 Infiniti FX37) trunk even when the rack is completely folded up, so I almost never really need to remove the rack from the hitch.
• When it's completely folded it sticks out maybe by 6-8 inches
• Lifetime Warranty
• 100% Made in USA
• Easy Returns
• Great Customer Service - My 1st package got lost. So after 1Up USA received a confirmation FedEx that the package was lost, 1Up USA sent me the rack the 2nd time OVERNIGHT.

Weaknesses:    • A bit expensive. Especially that I got the black one which was $609. But at least it's all quality made in USA
• Doesn't come with any security for the bikes, but you can purchase it separately.
• A bit heavy 52 lbs

Bottom Line:
I used to own an Allen Sports Deluxe Four Bikes rack which was only $100 when I rode on my Alloy bike and I didn't like it much cause it was constantly banging and scratching my bike. With 1Up USA Double Bicycle Quik Rack (Black) it's was a complete game changer.
I was very skeptic about spending $609 on a 2 bikes rack, but after I received the rack I understood that it was a very good investment.

Favorite Trail:   Demonstration Forest, Los Gatos, CA

Purchased At:   1UpUSA.com

Similar Products Used:   Allen Sports Deluxe Four Bikes

Submitted by Mark Shepheard a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: August 17, 2015

Strengths:    -Aluminum and very solid construction made in the USA!
-Rock solid when installed in the hitch receiver... does not move.
-Proprietary locking mechanism means it is safe on the vehicle.
-Very fast and easy to mount to the hitch and even faster to load and unload a bike... about 10 seconds!
-Bikes are secured by the tires and not the frame.
-Folds up and can be stored easily on a garage wall or in the trunk/hatch of your vehicle.
-Can easily be swapped between different vehicles.
-Incredible customer service!

Weaknesses:    None!

Bottom Line:
I have had the 1 1/4" Quick Rack plus and add-on for over a year and a half. I have taken it on many road trips and have never had a single problem. The rack will fold away from the vehicle with bikes on to allow easy access to a rear hatch and will fold up vertically for travel with no bikes loaded. With no integrated bike lock I use a long cable lock to lock the bikes to the rack when I am away from the car. I have hauled my son's 24" bike up to 29'ers without a problem and they have an adapter kit for fat bikes if needed.

It really is a fantastic piece of kit!

Similar Products Used:   Soft Ride Dura 4 hitch mounted bike rack

Bike Setup:   -2015 Specialized FSR EVO Elite 650B mountain bike
-1993 Proctor Townsend road racing bike.

Submitted by Ron Bero a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: August 1, 2015

Strengths:    Sturdy, Easy to use (my wife loves it too). Solid. Fast. Well made. Simple. folds perfectly - works great with my Jeep and our Subaru.

Weaknesses:    None. Really - None.

Bottom Line:
Simply THE BEST bike carrier made. I've had Thule, Yakima and Saris. 1Up USA's is 10 times, 100 times, ? infinitely better. Really - just buy it. That simple. Everyone I know that has one LOVES IT.

Purchased At:   Their Website

Similar Products Used:   Thule, Saris and Yakima

Bike Setup:   Cannonale F29, Trek Farley and Cannondale Super 6.

Submitted by scyule a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: July 26, 2015

Strengths:    Fits any tire/hub combo, unlike all other systems I could find

Weaknesses:    I haven't found any

Bottom Line:
After driving cargo vans for 20 years I bought a Subaru Impreza and figured I would simply slap on a bike rack and live happily ever after. In researching all the major brands of racks I realized I was in trouble. My girlfriend and I have a number of bikes , QR front hubs, 15 mm thru-axle hubs, 100mm front hubs, 135mm front hubs, 700 X23mm tires, 29X2.3 tires, 29X3.0 tires, 26X4.0 tires . I couldn't find one rack system that did it all. After a winter of disassembling 2 ice covered fat bikes into the back of the subaru (what a mess) A friend showed me his 1upusa with the fat bike spacers and I knew I had to have one. We've had it a couple of months now and it is amazing and works with all our bikes with no adapters or needing to adjust anything, works great!

Submitted by Dan a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: June 22, 2015

Strengths:    Ease of use, esthetically looks great, rock solid, light weight, Bike can be loaded & secured in 30 seconds

Bottom Line:
Just took my bike to Destin Florida, my first trip with the 1Up bike rack. I made the 10hr round trip with absolutely no issues. Bike sat secure and never moved. I shopped hard for a quality rack before making my purchase, actually paid over $150 for a hitch carrier that my bike just hung by the frame that required bungee cords to secure the wheels and handlebars. The 1Up is a very well product, I would recommend this to anyone, money well spent and I'm confident this will be the last rack I ever purchase. Using the 1Up I can load my bike and have it secured in less than 30 seconds, unloading the bike is no different.

Purchased At:   1Up Online

Similar Products Used:   Saris Hitch Mount Hanger

Bike Setup:   Specialized Roubaix SLX

Submitted by smithy6969 a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: June 14, 2015

Strengths:    Precision build
Intelligent design
Ease of swapping worn parts

Weaknesses:    Wear in guide bar

Bottom Line:
Best bike rack I have ever owned. Solid build and well though out design is sturdy and has no flex or movement when properly mounted. Multiple positions help loading and unloading from back of vehicle without unloading bike from rack. Compact and out of the way when folded to empty bike position. Made in the USA to boot - 'Merica!

Guide bar teeth appear to wear relatively quickly. No matter though, as you can get replacements for $9 from the 1UPUSA website. Price is a bit steep, but the ability to add up to 2 more bike trays means this bike rack can grow with your needs.

Submitted by Jim Kelly a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2015

Strengths:    -Ease of use
-Ease of installation
-No assembly required
-Versatility

Weaknesses:    -Price
-Releases are slightly weak

Bottom Line:
The 1up USA racks have a rabid following and now owning one, I can absolutely see why. It's ridiculously easy to use and very fast to install. I bought the Double Bicycle Quik Rack a couple of months ago and while the price isn't for the faint of heart, it's more than worth the cost.

I find that my bike carrier is thoughtfully designed with everything I need and nothing I don't. All of the materials are of excellent quality and simple, intelligent construction. It's also made entirely in the USA.

Even with unlimited resources and time, I don't believe that I could improve on the 1up USA product if I tried. It's simply simple. I had some trepidation about the single ball bearing holding not only the rack but my beloved bikes on my Dodge Durango's hitch, but once tightened, nothing I did could dislodge it. Nope, nothing. It's pretty well bomb-proof.

One feature that I appreciate is that the rack never touches the frame of the bike, and thus there's no possibility of marring the paint or decals, unlike the Thule rack I once owned, which simply hung the bikes in place.

The only weak point I can see is the releases. They're a little wobbly, but honestly, once you get a feel for them, they're pretty easy to use, too.

I give the bike rack four chilis for value. The only reason I didn't give it five was for the steep price, $529, but the fact that I got free shipping for 46+ lb. box is pretty awesome. Honestly, I'd have given it four and a half if I could.

For its overall rating, I gave this bad boy a full five flaming chilis. The trouble I save not having to put my Trek into the back of my SUV now is worth the price of admission alone.

This design will work for any adolescent or adult bike (26" and 29" alike, though the arms don't go completely over the wheels of a 29") no matter how many bikes one needs to carry. I can't recommend 1up USA enough.

Favorite Trail:   Ridgeline Open Space, Castle Rock, CO

Duration Product Used:   3 mos.

Purchased At:   Online

Similar Products Used:   There are no 'similar' products. These racks are simply the best quality, value, and design you can buy.

Bike Setup:   2013 Trek Mamba
2014 Trek Domane 2.3

Submitted by Craig Nile

Date Reviewed: May 9, 2015

Strengths:    Ridiculously solid construction, ease of operation, security

Weaknesses:    Heavy, not cheap

Bottom Line:
I love this rack so much, I shipped it to Australia with us when we moved down a few months ago. I then made the mistake of buying a Q3 which can't support a class 3 hitch. So sad.

I used this (in black) on an Audi Q5 in the US and it's amazing to see 4 bikes so cleanly stacked on the back of a rig without any issue. The mechanism is rock solid and its unique method for securing inside the hitch allows for a VERY small hole to be cut in the bumper. The Thule rack I replace with it required a much larger space for operation with the securing pin.

I'd buy this again in a second and almost replaced my car when I found out it couldn't work with the Q3.