1upUSA Aluminum Quik-Rack Bicycle Hitch Carrier Bike Rack

4.83/5 (121 Reviews)

The New All-Aluminum Bike Rack/Carrier from 1up USA. The fastest hitch-mounting and bike loading rack ever. Carry 1,2 or 3 bikes. Holds bikes by tires only. Made entirely in the USA!

1up USA Bike Rack Pro Review

1Up USA is famous for their bike trainers so we were excited at the opportunity to try their bike racks. At first glance, it looks like a science project as the whole unit looks CNC’d and the bike retention mechanism looks unlike any we’ve seen before. But as we used it extensively, we learned about the logic behind the design. This is a unit of the highest quality and it folds up in to such a small package when shipped or stored. It can get work with one tray or be expanded like a Lego system in to a versatile multi-bike rack. Continue reading →

Submitted by Roshan Gidwani

Date Reviewed: August 30, 2014

Strengths:    Easy install and uninstall. Quick and easy bike load and unload. Accommodates any kind of bike. Modular design. Made in America. Good people. Good service.

Bottom Line:
I returned a popular name brand hitch mounted bike rack to get the 1UP USA rack. I have the Double Bicycle Quik Rack (Silver)
(https://www.1upusa.com/product-quikracksilverdouble.html) and a Quik Rack Add on (https://www.1upusa.com/product-addonsilver.html). I normally carry three mountain bikes so the modular system is perfect. All I can say is Wow! I saw the install video on YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWWW-9nYiL8) and installed the rack in minutes. Loading and unloading bikes is super easy. Every time I use the rack I feel that 1UP USA read my mind. Thank you 1UP USA!

Submitted by marty

Date Reviewed: August 22, 2014

Strengths:    Simplicity, design, workmanship, made in U.S. This rack is easily the best available on the market. Having said that it is also competitively priced. I've owned racks by Thule, Rocky Mounts, and Hollywood, and while they all are decent racks, the 1 Up is simply in a much higher category. All aluminum with no rubber or plastic parts to degrade in the sun/weather. I chose the Heavy Duty Quick rack that only works on a 2" receiver and holds two bikes. I am very happy I did. Folds up small when it needs to be stowed. It is an amazing piece of engineering. Congratulations 1 Up. You have really raised the bar.

Weaknesses:    Really none to speak of. Even though the receiver locking bolt is only usable with a special 1 Up Allen wrench, it would have been nice to have a typical receiver hole to put a receiver lock in place. However it is really no big deal because a secondary u-lock or cable could likely be used to connect the rack to a receiver for more security. The instructions provided are pretty weak but that is really nitpicking.

Bottom Line:
Pull the arms down, put the bike on the tray, put the arms back up, done. Amazing system. Every time I use it I am glad I made the switch. After driving into a parking garage without realizing a bike was still on the roof top carrier, I went back to using a 15 year old Hollywood receiver rack. It was nice in its day. However over the years the steel was rusting and the plastic pieces were not holding up. Since a new bike replaced the one that died in the parking garage accident, a new rack was needed as well. The Heavy duty 1 Up Quick rack will likely outlive the bikes and the vehicle.

Submitted by Robert a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: July 7, 2014

Strengths:    Very compacy when not in use. Easy to mount/dismount. Easy to use. Very supportive and holds girls/womens bikes from the bottom, allowing them to be carried evenly as well (something that is not thought about much when considering the racks that carry from the crossbar).

Weaknesses:    n/a

Bottom Line:
We purchased this rack after researching many other brands. We are particularly happy that it is made in the USA and that the quality and workmanship of the rack is exactly what you should expect from an American product, Buy American! The staff at 1upUSA is also very responsive and will guide you through your purchase if you have any questions. We used the carrier to transport our Crusher 7 Fat Tire bikes from Gilbert, AZ to San Diego, California for a long weekend and the ease of the rack was very much appreciated. The rack tucks away nicely and close to the vehicle when not in use and opens back into place quickly when we need to load the bikes up. ***Quick note, if you are purchasing this rack for the Fat Tire bikes, you will need to also purchase the spacer kit for each bike that ypu will be carrying, so don't forget to add the spacer to your cart as well.

Favorite Trail:   Mission Beach to Pacific Beach along the Ocean

Duration Product Used:   5.5 hours one way on a trip

Purchased At:   online at 1upUSA

Submitted by Garrett

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2014

Strengths:    what to add that hasn't been said before. I was really debating whether to get the 1.25 or get the heavy duty 2". Ended up going with the single 1.25" and no regrets, very solid construction.

Weaknesses:    n/a

Bottom Line:
Another satisfied 1up customer

Submitted by Sepp

Date Reviewed: May 28, 2014

Strengths:    Well thought out design and functionality, first class quality of materials and fabrication, several notches above any other bicycle rack on the market. Additional cost compared to other products is a bargain for what one gets.

Weaknesses:    I would suggest that the provided installation instructions could be a bit more clear regarding the importance of "not pushing the rack" through the receiver. Maybe the rack insert should have a hash mark so users don't push rack in too far as I did accidentally. Having said that in a short phone call to 1upUSA I received clear instructions how to fix that little problem.

Bottom Line:
After going through 5 different bicycle racks in the past 40 years I feel for the first time that with this rack 1upUSA has come up with a product that addresses all of the many weaknesses of other racks. I am even more happy that this is Made in the USA .... The apparent higher initial cost is in no relation to the value, longevity, and shear quality and functionality this rack offers. Well done 1upUSA.

Submitted by Dribble a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: February 16, 2014

Strengths:    Very high Quality and USA made, meaning actaully made in the USA. Function and Appearance pleasing. Truly a No nonsense design. Aluminum, rust free and allows multi-use (see Summary). Price? many say its expensive, it is but actaully it is cheap. At $900 for 4 trays, after 10 years it cost less than $100/year or @ 10/month. Knowing prices would probably go up while mine drops over time was the convincing factor. Ease of use is truly incredible, Design allows for simple placement of bikes with no hassles. The outward up sloping design is genius for function and safety.

Weaknesses:    Everything has a weakness but here its minimal. While rack is not in use I keep it lifted up against the rear out of the way as much as possible from my kids. This makes it a little difficult to reach quickly in the rear cargo area for something as you have to "squeeze" between the vehicles rear and the first tray. If someway the trays could be folded while raised against the car that would be awesome. Locking mechansim for bikes can be accomplished with a inexpensive simple cable or even using pin type locks to lock the arms between the wheel and spokes. This still does not secure the frame so a cable is the smart choice. The 2" heavy duty racks hitch piece is two trays and not light but again a cement foundation for a home isn't light either so this is for a purpose. The arms can be adjusted to fit just about any wheel size but not readily, screws need to be moved to accommodate the tire size. My family set up is 26", 26", 24",20" in that order so when just me and my 7 year old go out there is a tray gap and I have to insert the 24" or 20" tray or remove the arms screws. When all bikes are 26" > then adjustments require unscrewing. A latch design where interchanging the arms to different wheel sizes readily would be nice but only if quality, security and function are maintained.

Bottom Line:
This rack is the best on the market, price wise too. So well thought out that I challenge myself on tryginto improve it. Ive had it for 3 years now and its looks and works like the first day I got it. During camping I use it to dryclothing, gear or whatever needs to be hung out to dry, its aluminum. Having towels on the trays also makes it more visable and safe with kids around. I use it to wash bikes and as a rack for minor adjustments and even pumping air in tires. Utah and Colorado have deep curbs and the up slope designs makes it a breeze to pull in and out fromthe street without worrying about bike/rack contact with the ground. Driving to the trailhead on rough dirt roads allows me to maintain my attention on the road not the bikes. My wife and 14 year old think my love for this rack is crazy but they never had to deal with other racks before until now. This rack is inviting as they load and unload on thier own now. I have gotten many compliments nd inquiries on the rack and always tell people that 1 up USA is the real deal, I even mention to not let the sticker price fool you. In the past loading bikes was always the "knot" in preping for a ride, whereas now I actually enjoy it (honestly, don't ask me why). I contacted one reviewer on his less that 5 star rating prior my purchase and he readily admitted to his mistake and felt bad as customer service was more than he imagined. I went through months of researching as my old rack did its job (never beyond) .... so this has been one of my best investments as it makes everything so much more pleasant and enjoyable. The peace of mind (lifetime warranty) gives that "Costco" assurance that the company stands behind its product! 1 up USA is a no brainer for everyone who transports bike(s), by either specific or overall comparison. You will not and can not go wrong here!

Favorite Trail:   Every trail has its unique features as long as its singletrack hidden by the trees im good

Duration Product Used:   3 years plus

Purchased At:   $900

Similar Products Used:   Thule Rac n Loc, several other racks and experiencing stillothers that friends had.

Bike Setup:   Specialized Stumpjumpers kids have Ibex (the best).

Submitted by Brad Wendling

Date Reviewed: December 22, 2013

Strengths:    Arrives already assembled, simple to install, fits 1.25" or 2" hitch, holds up to 4 bikes depending on hitch size, simple to use, easy to mount and remove bikes, folds down to access trunk or lower tailgate, folds up to fit in closet or trunk, beautifully crafted, makes your vehicle and bikes look cooler.

Weaknesses:    No built in locking mechanism. Wheel locks can be purchased or use a chain or cable lock.

Bottom Line:
Best rack on the market and I've owned both Saris hitch and trunk mounted racks along with three different Yakima roof racks. Buy one and you won't regret it!

Submitted by Hophead1 a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: October 30, 2013

Strengths:    Solid construction, heavy cast aluminum pieces for receiver and wheel trays, cnc aluminum pieces for frame, lever and locking arms. adjustable, foldable, tight. no wiggle, no slop, will work with any size bike or wheel, made in USA

Weaknesses:    I wish the add-on bike carriers were a little less expensive. Might look cooler than your bike.

Bottom Line:
Great design. solid aluminum pieces are well machined and smooth. No sloppy or ill-fitting parts. All high quality materials. This is the king of the hill for bike carriers. There is no equal.
The price for a single bike carrier put me off at first because most of these things for sale are bulky, cheap, made-in-china-garbage. They are mostly clunky and sloppy with poor machine work and cheap steel, plastic and rubber and rust within 2 years. the last (name brand) i owned was a rattling disappointment, $ down the drain.
Aside from high quality materials and build quality there is also design. No pin needed for the hitch, it has an internal ball-lock and security tool to tighten it from the back of the bike rack. It takes some effort (nothing a small child couldn't manage) to fold out the wheel trays but they are snug. nothing is loose, nothing rattles, no rubber, no plastic, nothing to rust or rot away. The whole thing folds up small enough to fit in a car trunk. Lift a lever to lower the arms down on the wheels to hold the bike in snug. Easy. The rack can also be laid down to access a trunk or hatch while the carrier is on.
The photos on the website don't quite do it justice. When you see it in person the price tag will be justified and you'll feel good knowing this one will last a long time. It is a bike carrier to envy and topic of conversation at the trail head.

Purchased At:   1UP USA

Bike Setup:   Giant Trance X 29, Large

Submitted by brightride a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: October 16, 2013

Strengths:    Quality, finish, design, burly, heavy duty, secure, great for 4 wheeling with bikes.

Weaknesses:    Expensive. Rack positioning adjustment could be easier, less awkward.

Bottom Line:
Needed a rack that could carry 2 bikes to some of my favorite Colorado and Utah camping spots on rugged 4 wheel drive roads. This is the only rack I witnessed that didn't have some sort of off road exclusion or warning. I purchased the extra heavy duty model that can be extended to hold 4 bikes. I carry just 2 bikes, but wanted the extra strength. Its heavy, but it mounts so solidly and stays that way through the paint shaker affect that 4wd roads can dish up. The bikes themselves move/sway a few inches back and forth, but don't contact each other or my truck. Did the San Juan's Alpine Loop and many other 4wd roads with no issues or worries. No need to constantly glance rearward to check the bikes.

Note, for off roading make sure the tire retention bars compress the tire an inch or more, tire psi ~30-35.

Duration Product Used:   2 years

Submitted by Mike2009

Date Reviewed: October 16, 2013

Strengths:    The quality of construction is outstanding. I was completely blown away when I actually saw this rack up close and examined how it all works....pure genius!

Weaknesses:    I have not observed any weaknesses at this time.

Bottom Line:
I wondered how all the reviews of this rack could possibly be so good...I was very skeptical. After my current rack wore out I decided to take a shot with this rack and all I can say is WOW!!! It is truly amazing...so sturdy, so solid, so well made... after seeing the one bike rack up close I immediately purchased the 2nd bike add on rack... I have no doubt that this rack will last many many many years. There are very few products that I have seen in my 50 years that have impressed me as much as this bike rack. You gotta check this out....it may cost more but it is worth every penny.

Favorite Trail:   Harbins Park Gwinnett Co. GA

Duration Product Used:   1 month

Purchased At:   1upUSA

Similar Products Used:   Yakima SwingDaddy, Saris Bones 3 bike

Bike Setup:   Trek Ex9

Submitted by Eric DeLeon a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: September 8, 2013

Strengths:    All sizes and typed of bikes are held secure without marring the frame. The bikes are very easy to load and unload. The unit is rock solid while on the road. Won't rust out. Very well made. Folds up easily fot storage.

Weaknesses:    My son what me to give him my bike rack!
Not as light as you would think for aluminun but oh so solid. I absolutely trust my coustom road and mountain bikes.
If we are traveling for a ride, I have to drive because it is the only system I want my bikes on. Problem is no one complains.

Bottom Line:
Worth every penny. Minutes to set up and seconds to use. Our bikes are secure.

Favorite Trail:   south ¢ral ohio

Duration Product Used:   2-3 years

Purchased At:   on line, can not rem

Similar Products Used:   Roof rack trunk rack Hollywood hitch mount rack.

Bike Setup:   coustom Waterford with complete super record Campy set up.
hard tail Cannondale shimano gear set with hope breaks, white wheels.

Submitted by Shawn

Date Reviewed: September 2, 2013

Strengths:    Durability, ease of use, customer service, customization.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
My 10yr old Thule rack has seen better days as the cradles will no longer stay in place after being replaced for the second time and fourth set of elastomers. Over the years I've come to loath hauling more than two bikes on my four-bike carrier due to repeated trashed derailleur hangers from bikes bumping together, even with using anti-sway cradles.

Saw the 1Up USA on here and new they had a good reputation for customer service based on friends experience with their trainers.

I called to discuss the possibility of customizing the rack to haul my tandem in the position closest to the vehicle; for an extra $65 they made a custom mount that will accommodate anything from a normal wheelbase up to a 6ft wheelbase. Best of all, I never have to worry about the bikes hitting together.

The rack has worked flawlessly over some very rough roads on the back of my Jeep.

Submitted by stc29

Date Reviewed: August 29, 2013

Strengths:    Strong construction with no plastic parts
Easy to install
Compact design

Weaknesses:    No hitch lock
Have to buy direct without seeing in person

Bottom Line:
I have a large investment in Thule racks and used Yakama in the past. I was looking for something more compact and easy to install/store for my Audi A4. Ease of installation and aesthetics were just as important to me as the functionality and this rack does it all. The only negative is the use of cable locks.

Submitted by Dj a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2013

Strengths:    Well designed and constructed. Easy to mount bike on and off. Easy set up out of the box. Looks good. No plastic or rubber parts. Sure to be very durable over time. Free shipping, no Tax, and good return policy. Versatile, I have the single rack which allows the addition of 2 more bikes - I will most often use the single rack when i go out for solo rides which i do most often, but i can attach another single rack for my wife's bike and when my kid gets older i can add a 3rd rack for his bike - most other racks that are designed for more than 1 bike are for 2 bikes with option of 2 additional bikes racks. Made in USA.

Weaknesses:    Expensive - I little higher in price than some other brands, but you get what you pay for.

Bottom Line:
I initially purchased a Thule X2 for 2 bikes, but I decided to purchase the 1upUSA Single rack because I have the flexability to add a 2nd and/or 3rd single rack. I also like that each wheel of the bike are held in place with a wheel rack. This rack and like many other bike racks, no matter the design of the rack and whatever type of lock you use to secure the bike, I would advise to never leave the bike unattended, because if a thief wants steal you bike Im sure he can. I plan on mounting my bike on the rack, mount it off, go ride, mount it back on, drive home, and take the bike off the rack at home - no stopping at the mall, grocery store. Even though I had to spend more for the Single rack and 1 additional single rack for my wife, I have No regrets for purchasing this rack over the Thule T2 XTR.

Purchased At:   1upUSA

Submitted by Katgie

Date Reviewed: July 12, 2013

Strengths:    The rack is lightweight, very easy to put on vehicle, easy to load/unload bikes and the stepped height is great. We have a new RAV4 that is lower to the ground than our 1999 RAV. Our old bike rack would drag when going through some areas. The 1UP clears those same areas. And it doesn't hit the spare tire when in up position.

Weaknesses:    One of the locking rails had a problem with locking securely. We contacted 1UP and
they immediately sent us four upgraded rails.

Bottom Line:
Awesome. A little pricey, but well worth the money. We have recommended it to numerous people.