1upUSA Aluminum Quik-Rack Bicycle Hitch Carrier Bike Rack

4.84/5 (131 Reviews)

The New All-Aluminum Bike Rack/Carrier from 1up USA. The fastest hitch-mounting and bike loading rack ever. Carry 1,2 or 3 bikes. Holds bikes by tires only. Made entirely in the USA!

1up USA Bike Rack Pro Review

1Up USA is famous for their bike trainers so we were excited at the opportunity to try their bike racks. At first glance, it looks like a science project as the whole unit looks CNC’d and the bike retention mechanism looks unlike any we’ve seen before. But as we used it extensively, we learned about the logic behind the design. This is a unit of the highest quality and it folds up in to such a small package when shipped or stored. It can get work with one tray or be expanded like a Lego system in to a versatile multi-bike rack. Continue reading →

Submitted by Jim Kelly a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2015

Strengths:    -Ease of use
-Ease of installation
-No assembly required
-Versatility

Weaknesses:    -Price
-Releases are slightly weak

Bottom Line:
The 1up USA racks have a rabid following and now owning one, I can absolutely see why. It's ridiculously easy to use and very fast to install. I bought the Double Bicycle Quik Rack a couple of months ago and while the price isn't for the faint of heart, it's more than worth the cost.

I find that my bike carrier is thoughtfully designed with everything I need and nothing I don't. All of the materials are of excellent quality and simple, intelligent construction. It's also made entirely in the USA.

Even with unlimited resources and time, I don't believe that I could improve on the 1up USA product if I tried. It's simply simple. I had some trepidation about the single ball bearing holding not only the rack but my beloved bikes on my Dodge Durango's hitch, but once tightened, nothing I did could dislodge it. Nope, nothing. It's pretty well bomb-proof.

One feature that I appreciate is that the rack never touches the frame of the bike, and thus there's no possibility of marring the paint or decals, unlike the Thule rack I once owned, which simply hung the bikes in place.

The only weak point I can see is the releases. They're a little wobbly, but honestly, once you get a feel for them, they're pretty easy to use, too.

I give the bike rack four chilis for value. The only reason I didn't give it five was for the steep price, $529, but the fact that I got free shipping for 46+ lb. box is pretty awesome. Honestly, I'd have given it four and a half if I could.

For its overall rating, I gave this bad boy a full five flaming chilis. The trouble I save not having to put my Trek into the back of my SUV now is worth the price of admission alone.

This design will work for any adolescent or adult bike (26" and 29" alike, though the arms don't go completely over the wheels of a 29") no matter how many bikes one needs to carry. I can't recommend 1up USA enough.

Favorite Trail:   Ridgeline Open Space, Castle Rock, CO

Duration Product Used:   3 mos.

Purchased At:   Online

Similar Products Used:   There are no 'similar' products. These racks are simply the best quality, value, and design you can buy.

Bike Setup:   2013 Trek Mamba
2014 Trek Domane 2.3

Submitted by Craig Nile

Date Reviewed: May 9, 2015

Strengths:    Ridiculously solid construction, ease of operation, security

Weaknesses:    Heavy, not cheap

Bottom Line:
I love this rack so much, I shipped it to Australia with us when we moved down a few months ago. I then made the mistake of buying a Q3 which can't support a class 3 hitch. So sad.

I used this (in black) on an Audi Q5 in the US and it's amazing to see 4 bikes so cleanly stacked on the back of a rig without any issue. The mechanism is rock solid and its unique method for securing inside the hitch allows for a VERY small hole to be cut in the bumper. The Thule rack I replace with it required a much larger space for operation with the securing pin.

I'd buy this again in a second and almost replaced my car when I found out it couldn't work with the Q3.

Submitted by Kofaram

Date Reviewed: April 27, 2015

Strengths:    Quality, engineering, and design. Super easy to use and extremely strong.

Weaknesses:    The only concern I have is if I lose tire pressure and the bike becomes lose.

Bottom Line:
Absolutely everything everybody has raved about and more! No plastic junk anywhere. LOVE IT!!

Submitted by Neo

Date Reviewed: April 24, 2015

Strengths:    Customer Service, Beefy, Made in the USA, Solid construction, quick and easy, stores in small space

Weaknesses:    Locking mechanism

Bottom Line:
I researched racks for a long time and ended up getting this one. No regrets...its bullet proof, very quick and easy to load bikes and store away in the garage. Only thing that concerns me is the locking mechanism. This thing can ONLY be stolen by another 1 Up owner, so doubtful it will happen. Even if it does...they back it with a 100% refund if its stolen.

Customer service is amazing...talked to them a few times. MADE IN THE USA.

Submitted by dj1809 a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: April 20, 2015

Strengths:    Ease of use, build quality, ability to accommodate a large range of wheel sizes

Weaknesses:    Ratchet release levers like a bit loose with a lot of play.

Bottom Line:
I recently had a chance to test my rack out on a trip to St. George, UT. It installed within minutes and I had my Bronson and my daughter's 20 inch bike secured and ready to go within a couple more minutes. As mentioned in previous reviews, you get what you pay for, and what you are paying for is solid aluminum construction without any plastic parts whatsoever. I would venture a guess that this rack will last for years.

I had some direct comparison on this trip as we went with some friends who opted for a cheap "hanger" type rack for the trip. This thing was a major pain! Granted, they had to fit five bikes on the thing, but in order to hang the bikes, you needed to attach bar adapters and then it took an act of God to get all the bikes to fit on the rack itself. Even my wife, who is as frugal as they come, commented that she was glad we had spent the (considerable) extra money on the 1up rack.

As my younger ones get older, I will definitely pay up for the add-on carriers.

Submitted by Neil

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2015

Strengths:    Simple to operate. Releasing the bike locking mechanism takes only a time or two to learn. Folding the system is pretty easy as well. If you have minimal storage space, buy this. It stores in its original, high quality cardboard shipping box and fits on a shelf. Very light. I sometimes actually mount it on my car to work on the bike outside on a nice day. It is that convenient and easy to use.

Weaknesses:    None really. If I had to nitpick, I slightly worry about the slight wear on the ratchet bars. Taking care to hold the release mechanism in a neutral position as you lower the support arms does minimize wear. If you don't know what I am talking about, you will after you get the rack and use it once. Remember though, this is a nitpick! Not a real concern.

Bottom Line:
This is simply the best rack I have ever seen or used, PERIOD! Ultra high quality. Totally solid, does not sway or rock like other racks. Simple to mount. Simple to put bike on. Easy to take bike off. Simple to dismount. Ultra high quality. No molded parts, all cast or machined. Movable parts all anodized to stand out. No plastic, anywhere! Even has reflective tape that shows when flipped up! Easy to access trunk or hatch by rotating rack down (with bikes mounted). Security not an issue in my book. Simple bike rack lock does the trick. They make accessory locks as well. If you don't want to store and carry around an expensive, bulky and awkward mount, just buy this already. If you regret it, they will refund your money even.

Submitted by monkies a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: January 29, 2015

Strengths:    Easy as F to get the bike on/off
Installs very easily since it's light (for the 1 bike system)

Weaknesses:    Pricey. But it's made in the USA so you have to pay up.
Security features and little touches are non-existent.
Although I haven't read any issues about the rack being held in by friction, a hitch pin or backup plan would be great.

Bottom Line:
Looks: It is pretty, but I wouldn't say it's the most gorgeous thing around. It kind of looks like something a kid made in a shop class. That being said, maybe someone won't try to steal it. It is pretty in it's own way, but the Kuat looks more awesome and modern.

Weight: So this is where the weight consideration comes into play...I primarily need to carry 1 bike, so I got the 1 bike carrier...that is light (i think <30lbs) so I can carry it out of my garage with one hand. If you need to carry 2 bikes, the 2 bike system is basically the same as a Thule/Kuat and needs two hands to carry. So if you mainly carry 1 bike, and don't want to scratch your bikes, this is THE tray rack to get. Buy the add-on for when you need to carry more bikes! Totally modular and awesome.

Features: It's easy as pie to load/unload the bikes. Easy to install as well since you turn a bold to tension the rack in the hitch (it's held by friction). Other than that, no bike security features, or little touches (e.g. the Kuat bike stand, and bike locks are just great to have). No bike security feature is perfect, but something would be nice...I have a u-lock and cable in my trunk for times I need to leave my bikes on the car.

Reliability: I just bought this so I can't speak to it yet. However, I did buy a used 2 bike system from 1Up (which I returned because 90% of the time I carry 1 bike and it was too heavy to constantly pull on/off my car)...the used rack was a little chewed up on the ratchet mechanism teeth, the ratchet mechanism wasn't as smooth as the new one I got, and a few little gouges on the aluminum...I don't know how long the previous owner had it or what, but it wasn't at the same level as my new one by far. I can't speak to reviewers saying they've had this for years and it's flawless, since this used one wasn't 'perfect.'

Purchased At:   1up

Similar Products Used:   Thule Helium (absolute garbage...scratched up both my bikes and a pain to load/unload)

Submitted by Kris a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: October 29, 2014

Strengths:    Rarely write reviews, but this unit is too good to ignore. Been through many iterations of Thule and Yakima racks. Its simple and effective, and no plastic parts. So very solid to date. Totally dig it.

Weaknesses:    Somewhat expensive, but it may be my last rack. Takes a little finesse to operate the levers and release technique, but it becomes second nature quickly. I bet the more expensive black anodized version looks even cooler.

Bottom Line:
This is a fine example of a superbly engineered US built, bike rack that will give you piece of mind whilst transporting your overpriced steed!

Favorite Trail:   Yedvarts

Duration Product Used:   About 4 months now.

Purchased At:   http://www.1upusa.co

Similar Products Used:   Thule Heilum 3, Many old Yakima racks

Bike Setup:   Niner SIR 9 SS
BMC FS01 Fourstroke Trailcrew

Submitted by Doug

Date Reviewed: October 2, 2014

Strengths:    A beautiful piece of engineering. Solid, well-built, and SO easy to use. We bought the heavy-duty two-bike version because we have two electric-assisted Stromers in addition to my road bike. The rack had no problem accommodating them despite their weight, and it worked flawlessly. I initially ordered the regular rack by mistake, and 1UPUSA's customer support in accepting the returned rack and sending me the correct one was superb. They even sent additional parts to me at no charge because of a possibility that my fendered bike was too wide for their standard configuration.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
1UPUSA makes a finely engineered, solid, easy-to-use rack, and they back it up with great service. Highly recommended. I couldn't be more pleased.

Submitted by rionapo a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: September 19, 2014

Strengths:    This review relates to the 1Up heavy duty hitch rack. It is a solid, stable bike carrier suitable for back-road and off-road travel. Ike's are easy to load, are held securely and the rack doesn't move.

Weaknesses:    We carry the bikes on a front hitch. They wobble sometimes when trucks blow by us. The wobble is not damaging to the bikes.

Bottom Line:
The bike rack to use for back road travel. We drove almost 4000 miles over the summer, mixed highway and back country. Not a single problem with the rack.

Similar Products Used:   Yakima swingaway rack mount, Thule tray mount, Yakima fork mount

Bike Setup:   Two Jamis hard tails.

Submitted by Roshan Gidwani

Date Reviewed: August 30, 2014

Strengths:    Easy install and uninstall. Quick and easy bike load and unload. Accommodates any kind of bike. Modular design. Made in America. Good people. Good service.

Bottom Line:
I returned a popular name brand hitch mounted bike rack to get the 1UP USA rack. I have the Double Bicycle Quik Rack (Silver)
(https://www.1upusa.com/product-quikracksilverdouble.html) and a Quik Rack Add on (https://www.1upusa.com/product-addonsilver.html). I normally carry three mountain bikes so the modular system is perfect. All I can say is Wow! I saw the install video on YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWWW-9nYiL8) and installed the rack in minutes. Loading and unloading bikes is super easy. Every time I use the rack I feel that 1UP USA read my mind. Thank you 1UP USA!

Submitted by marty

Date Reviewed: August 22, 2014

Strengths:    Simplicity, design, workmanship, made in U.S. This rack is easily the best available on the market. Having said that it is also competitively priced. I've owned racks by Thule, Rocky Mounts, and Hollywood, and while they all are decent racks, the 1 Up is simply in a much higher category. All aluminum with no rubber or plastic parts to degrade in the sun/weather. I chose the Heavy Duty Quick rack that only works on a 2" receiver and holds two bikes. I am very happy I did. Folds up small when it needs to be stowed. It is an amazing piece of engineering. Congratulations 1 Up. You have really raised the bar.

Weaknesses:    Really none to speak of. Even though the receiver locking bolt is only usable with a special 1 Up Allen wrench, it would have been nice to have a typical receiver hole to put a receiver lock in place. However it is really no big deal because a secondary u-lock or cable could likely be used to connect the rack to a receiver for more security. The instructions provided are pretty weak but that is really nitpicking.

Bottom Line:
Pull the arms down, put the bike on the tray, put the arms back up, done. Amazing system. Every time I use it I am glad I made the switch. After driving into a parking garage without realizing a bike was still on the roof top carrier, I went back to using a 15 year old Hollywood receiver rack. It was nice in its day. However over the years the steel was rusting and the plastic pieces were not holding up. Since a new bike replaced the one that died in the parking garage accident, a new rack was needed as well. The Heavy duty 1 Up Quick rack will likely outlive the bikes and the vehicle.

Submitted by Robert a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: July 7, 2014

Strengths:    Very compacy when not in use. Easy to mount/dismount. Easy to use. Very supportive and holds girls/womens bikes from the bottom, allowing them to be carried evenly as well (something that is not thought about much when considering the racks that carry from the crossbar).

Weaknesses:    n/a

Bottom Line:
We purchased this rack after researching many other brands. We are particularly happy that it is made in the USA and that the quality and workmanship of the rack is exactly what you should expect from an American product, Buy American! The staff at 1upUSA is also very responsive and will guide you through your purchase if you have any questions. We used the carrier to transport our Crusher 7 Fat Tire bikes from Gilbert, AZ to San Diego, California for a long weekend and the ease of the rack was very much appreciated. The rack tucks away nicely and close to the vehicle when not in use and opens back into place quickly when we need to load the bikes up. ***Quick note, if you are purchasing this rack for the Fat Tire bikes, you will need to also purchase the spacer kit for each bike that ypu will be carrying, so don't forget to add the spacer to your cart as well.

Favorite Trail:   Mission Beach to Pacific Beach along the Ocean

Duration Product Used:   5.5 hours one way on a trip

Purchased At:   online at 1upUSA

Submitted by Garrett

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2014

Strengths:    what to add that hasn't been said before. I was really debating whether to get the 1.25 or get the heavy duty 2". Ended up going with the single 1.25" and no regrets, very solid construction.

Weaknesses:    n/a

Bottom Line:
Another satisfied 1up customer

Submitted by Sepp

Date Reviewed: May 28, 2014

Strengths:    Well thought out design and functionality, first class quality of materials and fabrication, several notches above any other bicycle rack on the market. Additional cost compared to other products is a bargain for what one gets.

Weaknesses:    I would suggest that the provided installation instructions could be a bit more clear regarding the importance of "not pushing the rack" through the receiver. Maybe the rack insert should have a hash mark so users don't push rack in too far as I did accidentally. Having said that in a short phone call to 1upUSA I received clear instructions how to fix that little problem.

Bottom Line:
After going through 5 different bicycle racks in the past 40 years I feel for the first time that with this rack 1upUSA has come up with a product that addresses all of the many weaknesses of other racks. I am even more happy that this is Made in the USA .... The apparent higher initial cost is in no relation to the value, longevity, and shear quality and functionality this rack offers. Well done 1upUSA.