1upUSA Aluminum Quik-Rack Bicycle Hitch Carrier Bike Rack

4.85/5 (136 Reviews)

The New All-Aluminum Bike Rack/Carrier from 1up USA. The fastest hitch-mounting and bike loading rack ever. Carry 1,2 or 3 bikes. Holds bikes by tires only. Made entirely in the USA!

1up USA Bike Rack Pro Review

1Up USA is famous for their bike trainers so we were excited at the opportunity to try their bike racks. At first glance, it looks like a science project as the whole unit looks CNC’d and the bike retention mechanism looks unlike any we’ve seen before. But as we used it extensively, we learned about the logic behind the design. This is a unit of the highest quality and it folds up in to such a small package when shipped or stored. It can get work with one tray or be expanded like a Lego system in to a versatile multi-bike rack. Continue reading →

Submitted by Mark Shepheard a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: August 17, 2015

Strengths:    -Aluminum and very solid construction made in the USA!
-Rock solid when installed in the hitch receiver... does not move.
-Proprietary locking mechanism means it is safe on the vehicle.
-Very fast and easy to mount to the hitch and even faster to load and unload a bike... about 10 seconds!
-Bikes are secured by the tires and not the frame.
-Folds up and can be stored easily on a garage wall or in the trunk/hatch of your vehicle.
-Can easily be swapped between different vehicles.
-Incredible customer service!

Weaknesses:    None!

Bottom Line:
I have had the 1 1/4" Quick Rack plus and add-on for over a year and a half. I have taken it on many road trips and have never had a single problem. The rack will fold away from the vehicle with bikes on to allow easy access to a rear hatch and will fold up vertically for travel with no bikes loaded. With no integrated bike lock I use a long cable lock to lock the bikes to the rack when I am away from the car. I have hauled my son's 24" bike up to 29'ers without a problem and they have an adapter kit for fat bikes if needed.

It really is a fantastic piece of kit!

Similar Products Used:   Soft Ride Dura 4 hitch mounted bike rack

Bike Setup:   -2015 Specialized FSR EVO Elite 650B mountain bike
-1993 Proctor Townsend road racing bike.

Submitted by Ron Bero a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: August 1, 2015

Strengths:    Sturdy, Easy to use (my wife loves it too). Solid. Fast. Well made. Simple. folds perfectly - works great with my Jeep and our Subaru.

Weaknesses:    None. Really - None.

Bottom Line:
Simply THE BEST bike carrier made. I've had Thule, Yakima and Saris. 1Up USA's is 10 times, 100 times, ? infinitely better. Really - just buy it. That simple. Everyone I know that has one LOVES IT.

Purchased At:   Their Website

Similar Products Used:   Thule, Saris and Yakima

Bike Setup:   Cannonale F29, Trek Farley and Cannondale Super 6.

Submitted by scyule a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: July 26, 2015

Strengths:    Fits any tire/hub combo, unlike all other systems I could find

Weaknesses:    I haven't found any

Bottom Line:
After driving cargo vans for 20 years I bought a Subaru Impreza and figured I would simply slap on a bike rack and live happily ever after. In researching all the major brands of racks I realized I was in trouble. My girlfriend and I have a number of bikes , QR front hubs, 15 mm thru-axle hubs, 100mm front hubs, 135mm front hubs, 700 X23mm tires, 29X2.3 tires, 29X3.0 tires, 26X4.0 tires . I couldn't find one rack system that did it all. After a winter of disassembling 2 ice covered fat bikes into the back of the subaru (what a mess) A friend showed me his 1upusa with the fat bike spacers and I knew I had to have one. We've had it a couple of months now and it is amazing and works with all our bikes with no adapters or needing to adjust anything, works great!

Submitted by Dan a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: June 22, 2015

Strengths:    Ease of use, esthetically looks great, rock solid, light weight, Bike can be loaded & secured in 30 seconds

Bottom Line:
Just took my bike to Destin Florida, my first trip with the 1Up bike rack. I made the 10hr round trip with absolutely no issues. Bike sat secure and never moved. I shopped hard for a quality rack before making my purchase, actually paid over $150 for a hitch carrier that my bike just hung by the frame that required bungee cords to secure the wheels and handlebars. The 1Up is a very well product, I would recommend this to anyone, money well spent and I'm confident this will be the last rack I ever purchase. Using the 1Up I can load my bike and have it secured in less than 30 seconds, unloading the bike is no different.

Purchased At:   1Up Online

Similar Products Used:   Saris Hitch Mount Hanger

Bike Setup:   Specialized Roubaix SLX

Submitted by smithy6969 a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: June 14, 2015

Strengths:    Precision build
Intelligent design
Ease of swapping worn parts

Weaknesses:    Wear in guide bar

Bottom Line:
Best bike rack I have ever owned. Solid build and well though out design is sturdy and has no flex or movement when properly mounted. Multiple positions help loading and unloading from back of vehicle without unloading bike from rack. Compact and out of the way when folded to empty bike position. Made in the USA to boot - 'Merica!

Guide bar teeth appear to wear relatively quickly. No matter though, as you can get replacements for $9 from the 1UPUSA website. Price is a bit steep, but the ability to add up to 2 more bike trays means this bike rack can grow with your needs.

Submitted by Jim Kelly a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2015

Strengths:    -Ease of use
-Ease of installation
-No assembly required

Weaknesses:    -Price
-Releases are slightly weak

Bottom Line:
The 1up USA racks have a rabid following and now owning one, I can absolutely see why. It's ridiculously easy to use and very fast to install. I bought the Double Bicycle Quik Rack a couple of months ago and while the price isn't for the faint of heart, it's more than worth the cost.

I find that my bike carrier is thoughtfully designed with everything I need and nothing I don't. All of the materials are of excellent quality and simple, intelligent construction. It's also made entirely in the USA.

Even with unlimited resources and time, I don't believe that I could improve on the 1up USA product if I tried. It's simply simple. I had some trepidation about the single ball bearing holding not only the rack but my beloved bikes on my Dodge Durango's hitch, but once tightened, nothing I did could dislodge it. Nope, nothing. It's pretty well bomb-proof.

One feature that I appreciate is that the rack never touches the frame of the bike, and thus there's no possibility of marring the paint or decals, unlike the Thule rack I once owned, which simply hung the bikes in place.

The only weak point I can see is the releases. They're a little wobbly, but honestly, once you get a feel for them, they're pretty easy to use, too.

I give the bike rack four chilis for value. The only reason I didn't give it five was for the steep price, $529, but the fact that I got free shipping for 46+ lb. box is pretty awesome. Honestly, I'd have given it four and a half if I could.

For its overall rating, I gave this bad boy a full five flaming chilis. The trouble I save not having to put my Trek into the back of my SUV now is worth the price of admission alone.

This design will work for any adolescent or adult bike (26" and 29" alike, though the arms don't go completely over the wheels of a 29") no matter how many bikes one needs to carry. I can't recommend 1up USA enough.

Favorite Trail:   Ridgeline Open Space, Castle Rock, CO

Duration Product Used:   3 mos.

Purchased At:   Online

Similar Products Used:   There are no 'similar' products. These racks are simply the best quality, value, and design you can buy.

Bike Setup:   2013 Trek Mamba
2014 Trek Domane 2.3

Submitted by Craig Nile

Date Reviewed: May 9, 2015

Strengths:    Ridiculously solid construction, ease of operation, security

Weaknesses:    Heavy, not cheap

Bottom Line:
I love this rack so much, I shipped it to Australia with us when we moved down a few months ago. I then made the mistake of buying a Q3 which can't support a class 3 hitch. So sad.

I used this (in black) on an Audi Q5 in the US and it's amazing to see 4 bikes so cleanly stacked on the back of a rig without any issue. The mechanism is rock solid and its unique method for securing inside the hitch allows for a VERY small hole to be cut in the bumper. The Thule rack I replace with it required a much larger space for operation with the securing pin.

I'd buy this again in a second and almost replaced my car when I found out it couldn't work with the Q3.

Submitted by Kofaram

Date Reviewed: April 27, 2015

Strengths:    Quality, engineering, and design. Super easy to use and extremely strong.

Weaknesses:    The only concern I have is if I lose tire pressure and the bike becomes lose.

Bottom Line:
Absolutely everything everybody has raved about and more! No plastic junk anywhere. LOVE IT!!

Submitted by Neo

Date Reviewed: April 24, 2015

Strengths:    Customer Service, Beefy, Made in the USA, Solid construction, quick and easy, stores in small space

Weaknesses:    Locking mechanism

Bottom Line:
I researched racks for a long time and ended up getting this one. No regrets...its bullet proof, very quick and easy to load bikes and store away in the garage. Only thing that concerns me is the locking mechanism. This thing can ONLY be stolen by another 1 Up owner, so doubtful it will happen. Even if it does...they back it with a 100% refund if its stolen.

Customer service is amazing...talked to them a few times. MADE IN THE USA.

Submitted by dj1809 a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: April 20, 2015

Strengths:    Ease of use, build quality, ability to accommodate a large range of wheel sizes

Weaknesses:    Ratchet release levers like a bit loose with a lot of play.

Bottom Line:
I recently had a chance to test my rack out on a trip to St. George, UT. It installed within minutes and I had my Bronson and my daughter's 20 inch bike secured and ready to go within a couple more minutes. As mentioned in previous reviews, you get what you pay for, and what you are paying for is solid aluminum construction without any plastic parts whatsoever. I would venture a guess that this rack will last for years.

I had some direct comparison on this trip as we went with some friends who opted for a cheap "hanger" type rack for the trip. This thing was a major pain! Granted, they had to fit five bikes on the thing, but in order to hang the bikes, you needed to attach bar adapters and then it took an act of God to get all the bikes to fit on the rack itself. Even my wife, who is as frugal as they come, commented that she was glad we had spent the (considerable) extra money on the 1up rack.

As my younger ones get older, I will definitely pay up for the add-on carriers.

Submitted by Neil

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2015

Strengths:    Simple to operate. Releasing the bike locking mechanism takes only a time or two to learn. Folding the system is pretty easy as well. If you have minimal storage space, buy this. It stores in its original, high quality cardboard shipping box and fits on a shelf. Very light. I sometimes actually mount it on my car to work on the bike outside on a nice day. It is that convenient and easy to use.

Weaknesses:    None really. If I had to nitpick, I slightly worry about the slight wear on the ratchet bars. Taking care to hold the release mechanism in a neutral position as you lower the support arms does minimize wear. If you don't know what I am talking about, you will after you get the rack and use it once. Remember though, this is a nitpick! Not a real concern.

Bottom Line:
This is simply the best rack I have ever seen or used, PERIOD! Ultra high quality. Totally solid, does not sway or rock like other racks. Simple to mount. Simple to put bike on. Easy to take bike off. Simple to dismount. Ultra high quality. No molded parts, all cast or machined. Movable parts all anodized to stand out. No plastic, anywhere! Even has reflective tape that shows when flipped up! Easy to access trunk or hatch by rotating rack down (with bikes mounted). Security not an issue in my book. Simple bike rack lock does the trick. They make accessory locks as well. If you don't want to store and carry around an expensive, bulky and awkward mount, just buy this already. If you regret it, they will refund your money even.

Submitted by monkies a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: January 29, 2015

Strengths:    Easy as F to get the bike on/off
Installs very easily since it's light (for the 1 bike system)

Weaknesses:    Pricey. But it's made in the USA so you have to pay up.
Security features and little touches are non-existent.
Although I haven't read any issues about the rack being held in by friction, a hitch pin or backup plan would be great.

Bottom Line:
Looks: It is pretty, but I wouldn't say it's the most gorgeous thing around. It kind of looks like something a kid made in a shop class. That being said, maybe someone won't try to steal it. It is pretty in it's own way, but the Kuat looks more awesome and modern.

Weight: So this is where the weight consideration comes into play...I primarily need to carry 1 bike, so I got the 1 bike carrier...that is light (i think <30lbs) so I can carry it out of my garage with one hand. If you need to carry 2 bikes, the 2 bike system is basically the same as a Thule/Kuat and needs two hands to carry. So if you mainly carry 1 bike, and don't want to scratch your bikes, this is THE tray rack to get. Buy the add-on for when you need to carry more bikes! Totally modular and awesome.

Features: It's easy as pie to load/unload the bikes. Easy to install as well since you turn a bold to tension the rack in the hitch (it's held by friction). Other than that, no bike security features, or little touches (e.g. the Kuat bike stand, and bike locks are just great to have). No bike security feature is perfect, but something would be nice...I have a u-lock and cable in my trunk for times I need to leave my bikes on the car.

Reliability: I just bought this so I can't speak to it yet. However, I did buy a used 2 bike system from 1Up (which I returned because 90% of the time I carry 1 bike and it was too heavy to constantly pull on/off my car)...the used rack was a little chewed up on the ratchet mechanism teeth, the ratchet mechanism wasn't as smooth as the new one I got, and a few little gouges on the aluminum...I don't know how long the previous owner had it or what, but it wasn't at the same level as my new one by far. I can't speak to reviewers saying they've had this for years and it's flawless, since this used one wasn't 'perfect.'

Purchased At:   1up

Similar Products Used:   Thule Helium (absolute garbage...scratched up both my bikes and a pain to load/unload)

Submitted by Kris a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: October 29, 2014

Strengths:    Rarely write reviews, but this unit is too good to ignore. Been through many iterations of Thule and Yakima racks. Its simple and effective, and no plastic parts. So very solid to date. Totally dig it.

Weaknesses:    Somewhat expensive, but it may be my last rack. Takes a little finesse to operate the levers and release technique, but it becomes second nature quickly. I bet the more expensive black anodized version looks even cooler.

Bottom Line:
This is a fine example of a superbly engineered US built, bike rack that will give you piece of mind whilst transporting your overpriced steed!

Favorite Trail:   Yedvarts

Duration Product Used:   About 4 months now.

Purchased At:   http://www.1upusa.co