Timbuk2 Designs Dee Dog Bags

4.25/5 (8 Reviews)

This bag is sized perfectly to carry your life's possessions comfortably. Heavy-duty, adjustable nylon webbing shoulder strap is reinforced at the seams for long-lasting durability. Features internal organizer pockets and an external zippered pocket for securing valuables, plus a front slash pocket for easy-access items. Cross-strap stabilizes load and can be mounted for left-handed use. Reflexite® reflective tails at bottom of bag provide increased visibility on the road. Made from tough Cordura® nylon; all seams are reinforced and fully bound.

Submitted by Bob from Phoenix

Date Reviewed: May 5, 2006

Strengths:    Indestructible.

Weaknesses:    No longer made in the US.

Bottom Line:
I bought this bag about four years ago when you could still customize it. I've used it for biking and other travel. It is truly impossible too destroy this bag. My only complaint is that the extra tough rubber liner that I had added is a little bit too large and causes the outside flap to flip up at the edges. More of a cosmetic blemish than function problem, though. Seeing whereas I live in Phoenix, I haven't had the opportunity to truly challenge the waterproof abilities of the bag. Overall I've been very happy with this bag. I probably will not continue to purchase Timbuk 2 products because my last purchase (Not the messenger bag) had poor quality. The laptop bag I bought was made in China and the handle started to pull away from the bag almost immediately. Although I could return it for a credit, I don't feel it should cost me money (shipping) for a defect that is not my fault. So, I won't buy Timbuk 2 anymore.

Submitted by Jaggi a Weekend Warrior from Finland

Date Reviewed: March 26, 2006

Strengths:    Like Buddha write, extremely hard to kill. I've had this bag nearly five years.

Weaknesses:    No padded back.

Bottom Line:
Extremely high quality product. Mine is a "Build your own"-model. I've had it almost five years, and i bought it second hand(Don't know how long its taken a beating?)!
Now it is starting to show some wear, mainly on the inside.
I'm looking new bag, but it's not going to be Timbuk 2(i'm sad to say), just because they don't offer real custom bags anymore.

Purchased At:   Second hand

Submitted by Buddha Knuckle a Weekend Warrior from Philadelphia

Date Reviewed: November 7, 2005

Strengths:    Hard to kill. Th is bag refuses to die after 7 years of abuse. It is just the right size and amenable to overstuffing. The buckles break eventually (I'm on my third), but the Timbuk folk replace them with zero hassle (and for zero dollars). To be honest, though, the stitching and the rubber coating off the interior are starting to go...not a bad run, though!

Weaknesses:    The plastic buckles and the reflectors will not last long, but are easily replaced.

Bottom Line:
You can't go wrong this bag (unless quality control dipped when production left the States). Just make sure you like the colors.

Favorite Trail:   Chestnut St @ rush hour

Purchased At:   Some bike shop in San Fran

Similar Products Used:   My woman has a R.E.Load that in comparison is built like a Mack truck. Weighs about as much, too.

Bike Setup:   John Howard fixie, '99 GF Aquila SS conversion, '89 Nishiki Cascade tourer

Submitted by Tony a Weekend Warrior from NYC

Date Reviewed: August 8, 2005

Strengths:    Big bag, holds lots of stuff. Chest strap comes in handy so bag wont get in way while peddling, everything can be adjusted on the fly with one hand.

Weaknesses:    Like the man said, it's not completely secure to protect stuff from rain or snow, the sides are exposed about an inch.

Bottom Line:
Bag is great, built to last, stays secure while peddling, great design options, just needs some side straps to keep them down while raining.

Favorite Trail:   Forest park

Purchased At:   MTBR Classifieds

Similar Products Used:   Rocky Mountain fanny pack, Oakley backpack.

Bike Setup:   Rocky Mountain Extreme, XTR all around, Race Face cranks, Marzocchi fork, Easton carbon fibre seatpost, Sun Rhyno Lite rims w/Ti spokes, it goes on and on...

Submitted by burnt a Cross Country Rider from dallas

Date Reviewed: January 31, 2003

Strengths:    Indestructable. Have owned it 3 years with abuse and there isn't hardly any sign of wear. Big. Holds tons of books, pens, supplies, food, etc. with room to spare.

Weaknesses:    What?

Bottom Line:
Great bag for the money.

Submitted by Chris from Hawaii

Date Reviewed: March 14, 2002

Strengths:    Like the build options. That was the best part. Very durable. One handed buckle for those extra large loads. Waterproof lining, thicker bottom, compression straps (extras). It's big.

Weaknesses:    Files, large books, and other squarish/rectanglish shaped things tend to migrate to the bottom, making it difficult to get to. More exterior pockets would be better. If it's not full, it's not good.

Bottom Line:
It's the whole stuff slides down to the bottom thing that bugs me. On the other hand, when it's crammed full of stuff, it works better. I don't messanger, so that might be a factor. I do use the bag for shopping, communiting, and short trips. Did like the options in making it. And it is waterproof, which is a good thing here in my neck of the woods. Might have gone with the other fabric option, as the hand of this bag is still rough after lots of use and washes.

One thing I just did that I like better is I added a fastex buckle set up on the main strap, so I can un buckle the strap and remove the bag with out lifting it over my head.
I do like my Jandd Gabriel bag a whole heck of a lot better.

Purchased At:   Emplyee purchase

Similar Products Used:   Jandd Gabriel and Iniki, Timbuk2 Peewee

Bike Setup:   Huffy Rockridge with black box SID

Submitted by wag a Weekend Warrior from victoria bc canada

Date Reviewed: January 23, 2002

Strengths:    comfortable, bombproof, waterproof, you don't need to remove bag to grab stuff. timbuk stuff just looks cool too.

Bottom Line:
i don't know what that guy is going on about, i've done 3 winters couriering in london with the same bag with no problems. sure, other bag makers exist, but in my opinion do yourself a favour and get the best(i've been a courier for 10 years, trust me!)

Purchased At:   evan's(croydon)

Similar Products Used:   none, with timbuk nothing else matters

Submitted by Boston Traveller from Boston, MA 02130

Date Reviewed: December 31, 2001

Strengths:    Size, easy inside pockets, adjustable straps, stabilizer.
Nylon linings make it theoretically waterproof......but read on...........

Weaknesses:    THINGS GET WET! The bag top flap, on the Dee Dog lays over velcro perfect BUT on the left and right sides of the bag, no matter how I pack, there is a 1" (inch) square hole that lets water in on the top near the shoulder strap. This seems to be a design flaw no one is talking about. Trust me, I've packed and unpacked and strapped and unstrapped the bag a thousand ways to sunday. The flap won't cover the opening to the bag top completely. It may be a defective bag though aesthetically it looks great. Fix this flap so it's truly water tight and it's a great bag! The idea was ease, throw things in, close 'er up and go. It rains and snows in Boston so it's not a choice courier bag by my book.

Bottom Line:
Great Looking Bag, Great Features, Great Durable Materials BUT NOT an all weather bag. It let's rain and snow in and don't let anyone tell you different. Look at the juncture where the shoulder strap meets the bag, throw in a few books, a lunch , a few file folders and sweatshirt. You'll find yourself maddingly adjusting searching to close these two 1" square holes where the bag just kind of flops open. Add to this a body cycling wildy with upper body in constant slow tiny motions and voila you get what I get, wet book edges and manila folders. I'm going to the competitors. DEE DOG fix the flap and you win!

Favorite Trail:   Old train tracks

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   BaileyWorks Courier bag......