Home | Reviews | Bags | REI

REI Deluxe Rack Trunk Bags

This versatile design can be used as a shoulder bag rack trunk; expands to hold extra gear. Main compartment is padded and insulated to protect contents, while the zippered expansion adds 240 cubic inches of volume. Tough ripstop nylon exterior; lined with packcloth nylon for durability and abrasion-resistance. Two contoured side pockets with double slider; 1 rear insulated bottle pocket with drawstring closure; Velcro(R) straps on outside hold a bike pump. Shoulder strap detaches for convenience; compression straps secure load and help maintain shape. Main bag seams are taped and sewn for durability. Reflective REI logo on rear of pack for safe riding at night.

Submitted by Daver a Cross Country Rider from Yokohama, Japan

Date Reviewed: May 1, 2003

Strengths:    Big, expandable

Weaknesses:    not waterproof

Bottom Line:
Nice, cheap. Can get others (Top Peak) for about the same price. Is not waterproof. Barely water resistant so it will do you little good in much of a rain. Wobbles around a lot.
Mine is starting to separate at the seams after 1.5 years of use. Good bag, but like most REI products, just a little more money spent may get you a much better product.

Bike Setup:   on a stand, otherwise falls over

Submitted by Tim Curtiss a Cross Country Rider from Simi Valley

Date Reviewed: September 17, 2002

Strengths:    3 compartments to organize equipment. Expands to hold extra stuff you remember to buy at the store. Has straps on top to hold yet more things. Mesh pocked on back holds suntan oil. Strap so you can carry it inside store if you need to.

Weaknesses:    No key minder clip Had to sew in my own.

Bottom Line:
I don't go on long Mountain Bike rides without this pack. It holds my wallet and other things I need. I am glad I bought it.

Favorite Trail:   Simi Bike Path

Purchased At:   R.E.I Direct

Similar Products Used:   Some other boxy pack

Bike Setup:   Diamondback Response with Rock Shox suspension seatpost, SPD pedals, Blackburn rack.

Submitted by Dave Gavin a Weekend Warrior from Nagoya, Aichi Prefecture, Japan

Date Reviewed: June 29, 2002

Strengths:    It's very Durable and offers enough storage space for an extended day trip. When paired with my handle bar bag and Camelbak I have all the space I need for an overnight trip.

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
I love this bag. It doesen't look very big until you expand it, but I find that I rarely need to. I've even gone camping without having to take my panniers just because this bag holds so much (I attached my tent to the back of my seat and took a sheet unstead of a sleeping bag, summers are killer here in Japan. I was also using a handlebar bag and a CamelBak MULE). Anyone who needs a good bag for day trips, or doesn't need alot of space for an overnight trip should get this bag. I also use it all the time as a commuter bag when going to the gym. I got mine on sale for $30. It was a steal at that price. This bag suits my needs perfectly.

Favorite Trail:   Around Lake Biwa in Shiga Prefecture, Japan (so far)

Purchased At:   Rei.com