Home | Reviews | Bags | Jandd

Jandd Mini Mountain Bags

4.52/5 (25 Reviews)

The Mini Mountain Wedge Series offers seat bags that are designed to stand up to the rigors of serious on- and off-road cycling. Large main compartment and small exterior zip pocket.

Submitted by wrongway a Cross Country Rider from so cal

Date Reviewed: August 19, 2009

Strengths:    waterproof, zippers hold up and don't open. holds everything I need.

Weaknesses:    Not really a weakness, but after 10+ years of using this bag on and off road, the velcro doesn't hold anymore... but what can you expect after 10 years.

Bottom Line:
These hold up forever, I've had mine for 10+ years! Recently the velcro that holds it to the seatpost started to come loose during rides. I still use it with only the clasp attached to the saddle rails with no problems on my road bike.

Favorite Trail:   Mtl wilson

Purchased At:   don't remember

Submitted by Davin a Cross Country Rider from Tempe, AZ

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2008

Strengths:    Built with long lasting materials

Weaknesses:    falls off, I lost a park chain tool and several other important items for our trails. The zipper pops open, and the plastic clip that holds it to the seat rails failed badly twice. Cannot take real trails...only canals if you want to keep it.

Bottom Line:
Sucks, don't buy one unless you ride a comfort bike or hybrid...not for mountain bikes!

Favorite Trail:   Mormon/National South Mountain

Purchased At:   Local Bike shop

Similar Products Used:   back pack is best

Bike Setup:   Transition Vagrant, geax sturdy's, raceface lp cranks (old 5 bolt) and primo pedals

Submitted by Tony from Earth

Date Reviewed: March 6, 2004

Strengths:    Stitching

Weaknesses:    No longer made in America

Bottom Line:
I remember the days when Jandd would pride itself in making all its products right here in the good ol' U.S. of A (Santa Barbara to be exact). Now half its stuff is made overseas. I'm not saying it's a bad thing, guess it's the global economy. As far as the bag is concerned, the stitching is what separates Jandd from the rest: it's as good as it gets. Also the tightening strap is useful when you're not stuffing the bag to the max. One pet-peave concerning reviews: please don't mention it being "bomb proof". Yeah, stick a grenade inside the bag and see if its bombproof. Please, folks, enough with the superlatives.

Purchased At:   Performance

Bike Setup:   Yeti Arc

Submitted by Stevie a Racer from Kentucky

Date Reviewed: June 12, 2003

Strengths:    Just the right size, superb stability and quality.

Weaknesses:    Non yet

Bottom Line:
This is a 2003 model and I found it to be very stable. The main strap is adjustable and there is a quick release on the BOTTOM of the bag. This must have been a change since one of the other reviews. It works great.

My previous mountain bike bag used a mechanical mount which I will not use again. It's seat rail straps from here on.

On top of the bag are additional loops in case you want to add additional ties for more security/stability (I doubt I would need it).

This is just the right size (medium) for what I need. I race without a Camelback and I choose to keep my emergency stuff in the seat bag. Mountain tube, Inflator w/co2, 2 more co2 carts, Small knife, Crank Bros Multi-17, Small patch kit, zip ties, with a little more room to spare.

I like the separate key/ID/money pocket on the bottom, too. Paid 15.00 but would have paid 25.00 because it fit the bill perfectly.

Nice product from a company that obviously pays attention to detail.

Purchased At:   http://www.performancebike.com/

Similar Products Used:   Pearl Isumi Tailgate road bag (great for the road, not enough room for the woods)

Bike Setup:   Kestrel CS-X, Rock Shox SID SL fork, Rock Shox seatpost, SRAM 9.0 shifters & rear der, Altec brakes, Tru-Vativ Stylo Team Crankset, Eggbeater pedals, Mavic CrossMax wheels, etc... yes, it's VERY nice.

Submitted by jrpk a Cross Country Rider from LA, CA

Date Reviewed: June 20, 2002

Strengths:    That depends on how much or little hassel I get from the store I'm returning it to tomorrow.

Weaknesses:    Horribly fitted. Will bounce no matter what.

Bottom Line:
Whoever designed this bag gets and "F" for over-design and under-acheive. By putting a snap lock at the end of the straps they negated the effect of the velcro on the tension straps, now your forced to "over-pack" this bag to fill in the space where the straps meet, or you won't have enoough tension in the straps to keep it secure during your ride.
Go with Avenir, they grasped this very simple design concept.

Favorite Trail:   Santa Monica Mts.

Purchased At:   i martin

Similar Products Used:   Avenir

Bike Setup:   mt. bike

Submitted by Bob a Weekend Warrior from PA

Date Reviewed: August 29, 2001

Strengths:    Small, main pocket and second bottom pocket. Holds on well.
Zupper pulls. Good quality materials.

Bottom Line:
Good quality bag, many other brands were not as good for
little difference in price.

Purchased At:   performance

Bike Setup:   Marin Quake

Submitted by Mike a Cross Country Rider from Ravenna

Date Reviewed: August 28, 2001

Strengths:    none

Weaknesses:    the zipper keeps opening while riding, velcro tab that attaches bag to seat ripped out after about 4 hours of riding time

Bottom Line:
Very dissapointed in this item, well will see if they really back up their product

Favorite Trail:   owassippi

Purchased At:   performance

Similar Products Used:   nashbar & misc. all worked better than this piece of junk

Bike Setup:   schwinn s-20 w/ cane creek ad-10, titec & more

Submitted by Joey from Dallas

Date Reviewed: September 2, 2000

Strengths:    Unrivaled quality of workmanship. What else is there to say?

Weaknesses:    None. However, update the damn website, you guys!

Bottom Line:
Quite simply, the best bags in the market. Yeah, they're expensive, but sometimes you can't put a price on quality.

Similar Products Used:   Nashbar, Performance

Submitted by Canzogal a Cross Country Rider from San Mateo, California

Date Reviewed: June 14, 2000

Strengths:    Unparallelled quality and durability!

Weaknesses:    None, nada, zilch...

Bottom Line:
The bike shop where hubby and I work (Talbot's Cyclery in San Mateo) carries Jandd EXCLUSIVELY. I have had at least three of these Mini Mtn Wedges (I've sold a couple of my old bikes with the wedge included!), not to mention a host of other products including the Grocery Bag Carrier, Pannier Bags and that rectangular-shaped carrier that goes on a rear rack, whatever it's called (mine got ripped off). The bike customers I've worked with kind of get a bit ill at the price but once they take a couple of moments to check out the product's obvious quality, they have no qualms. No problem with the Mini Wedge though since it's only around $13! No other product can touch Jannd's quality. Buy it!

Similar Products Used:   Trek and Gary Fisher products

Bike Setup:   Specialized Allez Comp and Rockhopper A1 Comp

Submitted by 9Gturns a racer from Utah

Date Reviewed: January 6, 1999

Bottom Line:

Jandd rocks! They are one of the few companies around today that do not compromise on quality. Everything from Jandd touring racks to their backpacks is top notch and perfectly designed.
If they only updated the catalog and could keep their web site online then they would probably sell more of their gear. I really lucked out stumbling across one of their bags and I've been hooked ever since.

Submitted by Meredith a cross-country rider from Lewisville, TX

Date Reviewed: October 3, 1998

Bottom Line:

I was so glad to see that a Jandd product had a perfect score. How can you go wrong with Jandd? Lifetime warranties (which you will probably NEVER use) along with prices no higher than good luggage. The thing is that you will use their products everyday, not just when you go out of town. I own one of the Hurricane bags and it has lasted through everything. Since I stole it from my brother, and I found it wasn't large enough for my daily load I bought a Gabriel (a LARGE messager bag). I also own two of their backpacks (I bought a new one when they came out with a newer style of the same one...I still use them both, and they look like new..no kidding) I also ride MTB with a Mini Mountain Wedge, as do my father and brothers. All of the packs in this house right now have the Jandd name on them. Not only that, but a former employee at the bike shop I work at got a job as a Jandd rep. I rarely put my faith in a name, but if it says Jandd it is a durable work of art. Don't waste you hard earned cash on ANYTHING but the best (because with Jandd you'll never have to replace it...the only danger is becoming obsessed and buying every bag they make!)
-Meredith Hayes
(employee at Bluebonnet Bicycles in Lewisville, TX)

Submitted by Marty Brenner a cross-country rider from Santa Cruz, CA

Date Reviewed: September 26, 1998

Bottom Line:

I've had a couple Mini Mtn. Wedges for years now - one for my road bike and one for my mtn. bike. It's just plain perfect! It holds five allen wrenches, a chain tool, kevlar spoke, 2 tire irons, spoke wrench, spare tube, patch kit and a mini crescent wrench in the big compartment. In the bottom I put my money, ID and keys. Perfect. Quiet too. I like those silent zipper pulls. Oh yeah, it's totally stable too, even with how I ride it stays in place.Jandd kicks ass!!!

Submitted by Jay Latham a racer from Mobile, AL USA

Date Reviewed: June 6, 1998

Bottom Line:

Jandd Kicks Ass!!! My friends and I all have Jandd backpacks...we use them everywhere we go. We are big time trail builders and trail maintainers so we need a good backpack to hold all of our gear. We picked Jandd because of the quality. They have held up wonderfully through races,treks,rides,hikes, and even school. We use them for everything. Jandd Kicks Ass!!!

Submitted by Rick Floyd a cross-country rider from Bothell, Wa

Date Reviewed: May 5, 1998

Bottom Line:

Jandd bags are amazing. I have a mtn wedge that I've been using for 5 years now, and it's like new (except for the mud). I've had an expandable rear rack pack for 10 years, and it still looks and works like it's nearly new (except for the foam inserts getting soft, but they're replacable). I went touring with a pair of Jandd rear panniers a few years ago, overfilled them, and had my rack collapse coming down a hill at 40mph. Despite bouncing all the way to the bottom of the hill, the panniers were unscathed. Wow...

Submitted by Air Ace a cross-country rider from Super Canuckville, USA

Date Reviewed: April 19, 1998

Bottom Line:

I've always had very positive experiences with the Jandd product line. Thusfar, I've bought the Mini Mountain Wedge for my road bike and a waist pack for general use. Both are very light, very well made, waterproof and sensibly designed. Also, they cost pretty much the same as all of the other namebrand products at my LBS. They're also guaranteed for life. It's tough to get much better than this.

Mini Mountain Bike Weekend Vacation?

Managed to actually get away from my patients for Friday and Saturday next weekend. Me and the wife, no dogs/kids had this in mind. Leave Oakville early. Friday morning Mansfield, 15km Friday Afternoon Hardwood hills, 25kms --drive to Buckwallow, stay at the Pines (?) Hotel across the hig ... Read More »

White Mountain mini Vacation - ride suggestion

The wife, kids, and I are off to Santa's village (Jefferson, NH) the first week of Aug. I plan to bring the bike. I'll probably have one day for a good ride, maybe two. Any suggestions for must do ride? We plan to hit the North Conway area too, maybe drive up Mt. Washington. Is there shopping i ... Read More »

New Mini Mountain Goat (way cool)

Unfortunately, we didn't get to build this one up but we did take it out of the box to take some pictures. [IMG]http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g304/firstflightbikes/Goat%20Mini/PB200001.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g304/firstflightbikes/Goat%20Mini/PB200002.jpg[/IMG] ... Read More »

Mountain bike mini game

Kinda fun. [url]http://www.miniclip.com/games/mountain-bike/en/[/url]Read More »