Clik Elite Obscura Bags

The Obscura takes a new approach to going light and fast without leaving your camera behind. Keep your lenses and other camera gear anchored and protected in the hidden, formitting Marsupial pouch. Be ready for unexpected photo ops with swing-around access to the Zoom Cell camera compartment that features a unique telescoping chamber to custom-fit your camera setup. Performance features like a high-tech breathable harness and durable, weight-conscious fabrics keep you performing, even in hot weather.

Submitted by jen0910 a Weekend Warrior from Northeast, US

Date Reviewed: February 15, 2012

Strengths:    Camera seems safe, pretty comfortable to wear, roomy, materials seem durable

Weaknesses:    snug fit for some cameras, hard to see behind you when wearing

Bottom Line:
When I got the Obscura my first thought was that it was larger than it appeared online. I packed it full of 2 or 3 jackets and many pairs of gloves to try it out initially. The camera is in a separate compartment that protrudes into the main compartment but doesn't take up much more space than the camera would loose in the bottom of a backpack. You can still put things on either side of the lens. Near the top of the main compartment is the "kangaroo pouch" for lenses, flash, etc. There is also a pocket at the top front of the pack that is good for storing memory cards, a mini tripod, bike tools, a tube or anything else that is small. It is full of tiny pockets and a key clip to keep things organized. Below that pocket is a zip mesh area that has bungee straps and an opening at the top and bottom to hold a tripod, trekking poles or an ice axe. I have also used this area to hold a rake when I was going to do some trail work and to secure snowshoes. There is also a mesh pocket on the side that would fit a water bottle and a hydration sleeve that I have fit my 100oz CamelBak bladder into.
I have used this pack mostly for hiking and it is pretty comfortable. I have a Canon 40D with a 17-40mm L lens that I have been using with the pack. The camera body is a snug fit to get it in and out of the camera compartment. The lens hood is wide so it also seems to get snagged at times but I think a much longer lens would fit. The camera compartment feels pretty padded and stiff to protect the camera. A Rebel or something with a smaller body than my 40D would probably fit in the opening much more easily. Even with the snug fit I can take the camera out of the pack without taking it off of my back, I do have to take the pack off of one shoulder and swing it to the front to put the camera back in. I can do this all while walking, I don't have to stop and put the bag on the ground and fish for the camera like I would with a non-dedicated camera backpack.
I tried the backpack on a few bike rides and I think it would work fine for casual rides. I used it to carry tools for trail work and I was able to fit 2 small saws, long-handled clippers, a collapsible rake and a rake in the tripod/trekking pole slot. I am 5' 7" and I don't hit my head on the top of the pack while riding and the straps seems very adjustable so you can make the pack sit higher or lower on your back. It was also fine for a test ride on a rail trail. On the downside is that I can't see behind me when I am wearing it and it seems a bit bulky for more technical riding.

Some pictures of the backpack in various situations:

Purchased At:   Amazon.com