Home | Reviews | Bags | Chrome

Chrome Citizen Bags

4.6/5 (5 Reviews)

Chromes buckle messenger bags are built inThe USA withThe most rugged assembly of industrial materials and hardware available. Guaranteed for Life. Weatherproof 1,000 denier Cordura outer shell 18 oz. weatherproofTruckTarp liner sealed with military spec. seam binding Independently suspended weatherproofTruckTarp liner with military spec binding eliminates any seams exposedToThe outside elements Seat-belt buckle releaseThat doubles as a bottle opener Five bar seat belt webbing Nylon 69Thread EVA

Submitted by driver bob

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2012

Strengths:    Extremely well built bag, looks to be very tough. Super comfortable and stable when riding, I am using this bag for my daily commute, will hold a 15" laptop in sleeve, full change of clothes, lunch and spares for repairing a flat tire.

Weaknesses:    I wish it were a little bit bigger. I was torn between the Metropolis and the Citizen. The Metro was going to be too big so I went with the Citizen and it is full every day. A little bit more space and it would be almost perfect.

Bottom Line:
This bag replaced a 15 year old messenger bag that I bought from Edinburgh Bike Co-Op. That bag went thru hell and back before the strap started failing. Have had Timbuk 2 bags as well but they moved around too much for me.

After reading reviews the Chrome scored very well for stability when loaded, and it does live up to that claim.

Submitted by Steel Freak a Cross Country Rider from PhoenixAZ

Date Reviewed: September 25, 2011

Strengths:    Durable, functional, good looking, excellent piece of gear

Weaknesses:    None whatsoever, Not ment for off road use.

Bottom Line:
The Bag was worth every Penny. It always has a full size U lock, a pistol, Some times a 100 oz Camelback bladder and Some time Gym Clothes. I've crashed hard on it, drop it on the floor and hang it from my toolbox every day at work. I've used in to Commute 5 days a week for 2 straight years. I might buy the Metropolis model in the same colors. Ive run this bag fully loaded with 20lbs of stuff many times without a hitch. Ive actually used this bad as a carry-on (without the pistol of course) on 4 trips.

Purchased At:   Bicycle Haus (Scotts

Similar Products Used:   Camelback.

Bike Setup:   Single Speed 29in Mountain Bike

Submitted by thelonerider a Weekend Warrior from bh, nj usa

Date Reviewed: February 5, 2011

Strengths:    Keeps water out, rides well, holds a good amount of stuff, looks cool

Weaknesses:    after 3 years hard use the lining is worn cracked in two small spots where the lid folds; the cost is very expensive; hard to find dealers in Jersey (had to go to NYC to get it)

Bottom Line:
The site asks you to pick a catagory, racer, downhill, weekend warrior. I'm not a racer or downhiller but weekend warrior is hardly accurate, I do go out on weekends but also prefer to use a bike for transport whenever possible. Last winter i didn't use a car to get to work at all. So My gear gets wet, slushy, dirty, sweaty... hardly weekend warrior stuff.

as to the Chrome, it's a durable bag, but pricey. Fits well, bpacks plenty of gear, handles well ont he bike. Long term wear but maybe that's normal? Still keeps my stuff dry and that's all I aks fer. Except less $ at the initial outaly, of course...

Favorite Trail:   everywhere

Purchased At:   NYC Velo

Similar Products Used:   Chrome mini metro (smaller version fo same) Chrome ransacker , Timbuk2 med courier bag, Reload courier bag...

Bike Setup:   varies from bike to bike. Usually use a fixed gear or mtb for aroudn town or errands, a roadbike for longer weekend jaunts.

Submitted by razmaru a Weekend Warrior from singapore

Date Reviewed: April 3, 2009

Strengths:    Tough piece of kit, waterproof, gives you street cred, reflective tabs,

Weaknesses:    depending on how big the bag is it tends to wrap around you if its not really full.

Bottom Line:
I commute with this bag most of the time and it hasnt let me down yet. Keeps my stuff bone dry, tough stitches that dont unravel and the material is so abrasive resistant that it hasnt shown wear on the rear area that contacts with you back.

It also has a loop like thingy that allows you to clip ur rear riding lights to it to up visibility.

Spacious interior that swallows whatever I need for commuting, work clothes, lunch, toiletries, misc stuff.

Highly recommended!

Similar Products Used:   no brand messenger bag, Nat geo rolltop bag

Submitted by N3XUS a Weekend Warrior from Prescott, AZ US

Date Reviewed: March 23, 2009

Strengths:    Durable, weatherproof, stylish, stays secure while ridding.

Weaknesses:    No air flow on your back

Bottom Line:
I have used this bag five days a week for almost a year. Not one single stitch has come lose. Because of the high quality with which it was made I'm giving it a good review.
I would recommend this to someone who commutes to work. Or if you just need something to keep your stuff in while ridding around town. Its designed for urban use, so stick with a Camelbak when you hit the trail.
Also this bag comes with a quick release seat-buckle closure (Its what makes Chrome messenger bags unique) So you have to ask your self, would you like to ride around with a seat-buckle strapped to your chest? (Dude,That's like.... totally subjective.) The buckle has never given me any problems but may not be for everyone.

Favorite Trail:   395,305,347

Purchased At:   chromebagsstore.com

Super Cyclist-Citizen Foils Road Rager

Not wanting to be just a source of "bad news", I generally try to avoid posting any old incident where a cyclist is hit... but I thought this was interesting, because a cyclist who was yelled at nearly a year ago on the same road and recorded/reported a plate ended up being the key to arresting this ... Read More »

Total longshot I know...but...lost Black Citizen Watch at Demo

Hey everyone, I know this is a total longshot, but a very sentimental watch was lost out at Demo on July 4th...it is a black Citizen aviator skyhawk. Just in case an angel found it for me, please let me know. Likely launched it upon rough landings on Braille or Sawpit. It looks like this, but wit ... Read More »

Jefferson County Open Space 2011 Citizen Survey: REPRESENT!

In case you didn't get the email ... LINKY --> [URL="http://survey.rrcresearch.com/s3/jeffopen"]Jefferson County Open Space 2011 Citizen Survey[/URL]. ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ Dear Friend and Jefferson County Resident: Thank you for participating in the first ever ... Read More »

Jamis Citizen 700c Feedback, Pros and Cons?

I posted this on the commuting thread but no one responded, so since a 700c wheel is the same size as a 29" wheel I decided to give it a try here! I have been riding a 21" Redline Monocog 29er for the last year and I really love this bike! However I went into Dallas Bike Works this afternoon and ... Read More »

Jamis Citizen 700c Feedback, Pros and Cons?

I have been riding a 21" Redline Monocog 29er for the last year and I really love this bike! However I went into Dallas Bike Works this afternoon and they have a Jamis Citizen 700c with front suspension, a really nice bike to ride, and I wanted some feedback or pros and cons for this bike. It is on ... Read More »